Start by marking “Copycat” as Want to Read:
Copycat

Copycat

Everyone is dying to read the latest book in the popular Gap Lake mystery series, and Addison is no exception. As the novels biggest fan, Addison is flattered when the infamously reclusive author, R.J. Rosen, contacts her, granting her inside information others would kill for.
But when the most popular girl in Addison's high school is murdered, Addison can't help but think
Published July 3rd 2018 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Copycat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Copycat

Chelsea Humphrey
Sometimes I like to pick up a book that I know is being published purely as saccharine entertainment. I devoured the entire PLL series as an adult, so I have no issue reading novels where I'm not the target audience and am happy to review them fairly, as I feel I've done here. While many adults won't care for this type of read, I found it overall to be a fun palate cleanser. I've read many of the author's previous books and I felt this was a comparable display of her writing style and plot choic ...more
Kristy K
2.5 Stars

I thought the premise of Copycat sounded great, but unfortunately it was hindered by subpar writing. Addie is a super fan of the series Gap Lake and when the allusive author contacts her to help promote the latest release, she jumps at the chance. However, when strange parallels between the book and real life start happening (like the most popular girl at school being murdered), Addie begins to wonder if it's really the author who's sending her these emails.

The dialogue felt forced and
Schizanthus
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Linda Strong
3.5 Stars

Addison is a teenage girl who is the biggest fan of R. J. Rosen, an author of suspense. He writes the Gap Lake series and Addie has read every word in every book at least 10 times. She has a blog of all things Rosen that now has thousands of followers.

She is excited beyond belief when she is contacted by the author. He's impressed with her fandom and offers her the opportunity to help him with his newest book. He follows by sending her quite an excerpt sending Addison into a head spin w
Chloe
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it

Addie runs an online blog for the popular Gap Lake Mystery series and is over the moon when the reclusive author contacts her through email to promote the latest book in the series. But soon life starts imitating fiction especially when a popular girl is murder in Addie’s school. When other strange things from the book start happening around her Addie knows she has to figure out who the murderer is before she or her loved ones get hurt.

Copycat is a fairly good YA read with a fairly decent myst
Inge
Yeah, this wasn't a great read for me. Granted, I've been in some kind of weird reading slump lately - I want to read, but I'm not enjoying anything I pick up.

There are a few positives. Copycat is a quick read and doesn't require much headspace. Perfect for when you need an easy breezy read. I also really liked the parallels between the Gap Lake series and the murder.

For me, that's where the positives end. None of the characters really came alive. The way they talked made it quite obvious that t
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I picked up Copycat for a fun summer read - something my friend Chelsea at The Suspense is Thrilling Me refers to as "popcorn reads". I knew this was a YA thriller, which is always something I'm a little reluctant about, because those can be hit or miss for me, given the fact that I read so many regular/adult thrillers.

What I did like about this book was the plot. There was a "story within a story" aspect to the plot, and I generally enjoyed the concept of killings mirroring an unpublished book
Mandy White
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This book was so much fun to read! I do love a good young adult book that I can get lost in and this was certainly that. A very quick read with a story that will have you hooked.

A book about a book obsessed teenager called Addison. She is obsessed with the Gap Lake mystery books and has a very popular blog as well. She receives a message from the author inviting her to help with the promotion for the new book she is thrilled. But then the most popular girl in school is found murdered.. and life
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thank you to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of COPYCAT by Hannah Jayne in exchange for my honest review.***

Addie writes fan fiction for her favorite mystery series. She can hardly believe when the writer notices her work and asks her to help with publicity for the last book of the series. But soon murders that mimic the books begin happening. Is life imitating art?

The premise of COPYCAT and having read some of Hannah Jayne’s books previously inspired me to request the ARC. Ad
Elaine
This is an intriguing story of a teen fangirl who discovers that sometimes the stories she's so addicted to and blogs about are being reenacted in reality - including a popular peer being murdered. As Addison finds more aspects of the book really happening but no one believing her, contact with the author of the books proves even more dangerous for Addison and those around her . . . .

This is a suspense filled teen murder mystery, a somewhat gruesome read and a real page turner. It has great char
April Showers Bring Fungi From Yuggoth
Review: COPYCAT by Hannah Jayne

My first Hannah Jayne novel, and I adore it! I was magnetized from the first page and couldn't look away. The novel's premise is riveting: a vastly popular YA mystery/thriller series is approaching its end, and a California blogger is invited to participate in the planned promotion leading up to the final book's publication. Her "GapLakeLove" blog sports well-written fan fiction and speculation on the identity of the series' killer. Addison Gaines, the blogger, may
Roxanne
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hoopla
More like a 3.5. I have enjoyed all the books I have read by this author, but this felt a little young for me. Interesting plot, but I wasn't very shocked by the reveal.
Jackie
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, 2018-reads, mystery
In a book that had a lot of similarities to my own involvement with blogging and the literary world I was eager to see what sort of mystery was in store but instead I got a bit of a mess.

“Copycat” tells the story of Addie, a book blogger and aspiring writer who dedicates her time to the mystery/thriller Gap Lake series is given the opportunity to share snippets for the upcoming novel from the author himself but when a classmate is murdered and the crime scene is eerily similar to what happens i
Marc Bougharios
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

It’s very rare for me to get this excited about a book, but this is one of the rare times. I’m so upset with myself that I didn’t read this sooner. I mean I’ve had this ARC for a quite a while in my shelf but I just never got to reading it. And I’m very glad that I did.

Addison Gaines, a high school student is obsessed with mystery author R.J Rosen so when he reaches out to her to ask her to work on a project with him, she is ecstatic. But when he starts sending her snippets of his new
Sarah Black
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This book in my opinion had a lot of similiarities to Pretty Little Liars in the way that it was written. It was well written for the most part, albeit a bit dark and gruesome. The plot twists for the most part were expected.

It was an interesting premise with the main character being Addie who is obessed with a mystery book series called Gap Lake, she even has her own blog and writes her own fanfiction. Then one day Addie is contacted by the author of Gap Lake and she is beyong thrilled. Then my
Maureen
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fairly good YA mystery about a teenager who is a fan girl. Addie loves everything that RJ Rosen writes, and has a blog with hundreds of followers who feel the same way. But when a classmate is found dead, art imitates life, and Addie begins to feel creeped out by the personal messages she is getting from Rosen. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to be an early reader in exchange for my fair and honest review.
Up All Night With Books
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Enjoyable Stars
Review by Amy
Late Night Reviewer
Up All Night w/ Books Blog

I really enjoyed Hannah Jayne’s Copycat. An easy to read suspenseful thriller for young adults, this book kept my attention from cover to cover.

Addie is author R.J. Rosen’s biggest fan. She even has a blog where she writes fan fiction in honor of his series. When he reaches out to her to help him promote his next book she doesn’t hesitate. Working with Rosen is her dream come true, but when disturbing things begin to happ
Cheryl M-M
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Addison is obsessed with the murder mysteries written by R.J. Rosen, to the point of reading each book over and over again. When he gets in touch one day to ask her to be part of the team creating exposure for his new novel, she is absolutely ecstatic.

I can understand her excitement and bookworm joy at being picked to work with the author of the books she absolutely adores. Being able to share her own ideas in the form of fan-fiction. Gaining recognition and attention via her blog, it all gives
Caitlyn Lynch
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A YA thriller, Copycat asks the question; what if your love of fiction became a very real threat to your existence?

Addie shouldn’t have a care in the world. She’s young, pretty and well-off. Her fan blog for the incredibly popular Gap Lake murder mystery book series is getting serious traction, and when she receives an email from the mysterious author inviting her to participate in the next book’s release publicity, she’s over the moon.

Soon things start turning weird, though. The discovery of a
Faith Simon
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received an advanced copy of this title from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

2 1/2 stars.
Honestly, this book wasn't hard to read and it wasn't boring, I was however glad that it was short so I could breeze right through it and be done with it. I didn't exactly hate it, but I didn't enjoy it either. I have a lot of opinions that I'm going to get into.
If you're looking for an exciting mystery/thriller that isn't really that long or complex, then I guess this book might be for you.
Kristin
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
ORIGINAL POST: http://www.nerdprobs.com/books/book-r...

**A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

Having read Hannah Jayne novels before, I knew I wanted to check out Copycat. Jayne has a way of telling a story that draws you in, and nobody which way the story goes, you always want to know how it ends. Copycat did that.

The story follows Addison, number one fan of the Gap Lake seires by author R.J. Rosen. She runs a popular blog about the
Melody Morris
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Copy Cat – Hannah Jayne

I was fortunate to receive this novel as an Advance Reader Copy, in exchange for an objective review.

Addie Gaines is your typical high school student, with one exception. She loves books and is particularly infatuated with the Gap Lake books – a series of young adult mystery/thrillers that have developed quite the cult following. Addie is so entranced, she’s created her own blog about the series, and has written some fan fiction as well, that rivals the authors storytellin
Sharon
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Addison Gaines is a super-fan of RJ Jenson's Gap Lake mysteries. She has a blog, writes fan fiction, the whole thing. Then, one day RJ Jenson himself contacts her to ask if she'd be willing to help promote the next book. He'll send her snippets to share on her popular blog, as well as other surprises.

The first surprise is the corpse of one of her classmates, posed in the journalism classroom ... where Addie finds her. And the murder is eerily reminiscent of the snippet she was given to share.

Soo
Li Ashfield
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I. Loved. This. (Ok, full disclosure, I haven't quite finished it, but what I have read is awesome). I'm really enjoying this recent crime-wave of YA books, and this one is nice in that it's different! Famous blogger who blogs about her favourite mystery/thriller series (and writes fanfic!) is contacted by the reclusive author of the books. He wants her to help with the publicity buzz leading up to the release of his new book, and begins an online correspondence with her. When our hero finds the ...more
Caroline
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book reads exactly like the old Point Horror and Fear Street books I loved so much back in the 90's (still do!)
The main character Addie runs an online blog for her favourite book series and when it starts gaining popularity the author contacts her about doing exclusives for her blog. Then the murders start which are VERY similar to the murders in the Gap Lake series. Is it a copycat killer, the author, somebody Addie knows???
Its a quick fun read and I would definitely pick up more YA thrill
Brenda
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
In a small town happened a murder and two high school's girls had seen the body and who could have do it.
Mixed that with a suspense series being copycat by the murderer?
The execution was pretty general and did not fear for one minute to the life's of Addie and Maya.
Addie has the perfect life, a crush and a BBF who is jeauslous of her life and said that in every oportunite.
The killer and the motivation was not beliavable. There is not much of us to feel sorry about just what the hell??
The adul
Larosenoire299
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
At first, I thought this book would be a perfect combination of Eliza and her monsters/Radio silence and mystery stories, but it ended up letting me down. I expected to see a serial killer case, but all I received were a subpar writing and a bad plot.
Book Him Danno
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
CopyCat had such high hopes but fell flat quickly with the chunky dialog, fell into the Pretty Little lairs type of story but lacked the creative writing needed to pull off the story. The characters were unlikable.
The motivation behind the murderer and reason couldn't have been a bigger let down because most readers will have figured it out right away. Only thing kept me reading was hoping that I was wrong.
The friendship didn't feel read and left me wondering why the author chose this route?
Th
Ruthsic
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who like easy mysteries, just dramatic tension
Warnings: mention of drunk driving, anxiety regarding car accidents, mentions of partner abuse

Copycat is a story that had an interesting concept but didn't live up to it, while relying on old tropes. The story begins when Addison gets an email from her favorite mystery author, writer of a series she is a bonafide super-fan of, regarding making some promotional posts about his next book. Innocent enough, right? That is, until she realizes a classmate gets murdered in the exact way the excerpt she
Sionna
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

This book caught my interest from the first chapter. I quickly found myself engrossed in the story, the mystery, and the characters who had to live through it.

The concept of this book caught my attention quickly-- I love crime fiction, so reading about someone who loves reading and writing about crimes, then has to go through one sounded really interesting. I was hoping she would see through potential t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • What the Corpse Revealed
  • Playing for the Devil's Fire
  • The Bakersville Dozen
  • A Street Girl Named Desire
  • War Brothers
  • Velocity
  • Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas (Addison Cooke #1)
  • No Good Deed
  • A Place Where Sunflowers Grow (砂漠に咲いたひまわり) Japanese/ English Bilingual
  • Cutter's Grove
  • Out of Left Field
  • Vortex
  • Croaker: Kill Me Again (Fey Croaker #1)
  • Alpha (The Infinity Division, #3)
  • Dig
  • Mystic Dragon (Mystic, #2)
  • How I Found the Best Sex Ever: A Sara Strong Mystery
  • The Joy of Sexus: Lust, Love, and Longing in the Ancient World
Hannah is the author of the UNDERWORLD DETECTION AGENCY CHRONICLES from Kensington books and the upcoming young adult thrillers TRULY, MADLY, DEADLY and SEE JANE RUN available from Sourcebooks, Inc. When she's not battling the demons of the Underworld or tackling a murderer at Hawthorne High, Jayne kicks her feet up in her San Francisco bay area home and attempts to share couch space with two enor ...more