Start by marking “Forbidden by Faith (Forbidden Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Forbidden by Faith (Forbidden Love, #1)

Forbidden by Faith (Forbidden Love, #1)

4.61  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Sara knows her life would be easier if she married a man of her faith, but when has love ever been easy?

Raised by her immigrant Iranian parents, she’s been taught that a good daughter makes decisions based on her family’s approval, and she’s spent most of her life in their good graces. Until she meets Maziar, and her world is turned upside down. An instant electricity ign
Published February 6th 2018 by City Owl Press

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden by Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden by Faith

Don't Call Me Cupcake by Tara SheetsRainbirds by Clarissa GoenawanNever Dare a Wicked Earl by Renee Ann MillerA Different Kind of Fire by Suanne SchaferThe Queen of Hearts by Kimmery Martin
Authors18
101 books — 133 voters
Don't Call Me Cupcake by Tara SheetsNever Dare a Wicked Earl by Renee Ann MillerOne Match Fire by Lissa LindenDangerous by Minerva SpencerForbidden by Faith by Negeen Papehn
Best Romance 2018
69 books — 96 voters

More lists with this book...

Margarita
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: authors-i-know
What is one willing to sacrifice for love? Religion? Family? All of the above? Negeen's beautiful writing evokes a diverse set of emotions that make the reader understand the multiple facets of love.
A beautiful debut romance by an author that should stay on your radar!
Margi
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Set in Los Angeles, Negeen Papehn's debut novel, Forbidden By Faith, is a modern day Romeo and Juliet. If you enjoy high stakes Romance, you won't want to miss this one!
Minerva Spencer
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The blurb on the back of this book does not do the story between the covers justice.

Forbidden by Faith isn't only a love story, it's also the story of young woman's journey of self-discovery. Sara has her plate full: pharmacy school, loving--but demanding--traditional Persian parents and family, and two hot, forbidden men who are both willing to fight for her.

The author kept me guessing and I loved not knowing how this story was going to end. Papehn also did a stellar job of depicting Sara's s
Barry
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taking one of history’s oldest cultural divides, the author — with her gifted ability of capturing the authentic tension of the moment — pushes the story into territories that are uncomfortable, but necessary.

Through the many passionate escapades between lovers, the heart-wrenching anguish of a parent, and the seething outrage of intolerance — she straps you in tightly and brings you along on this wonderful rollercoaster ride.

In the end, they say that love conquers all... but they didn’t say tha
Leyla Hadzhiyska
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Negeen Papehn’s debut novel “Forbidden by Faith” tells the incredible story of Sara,Persian Muslim
and Maziar,Persian Jewish.Family,religion,customs and traditions are on the way of Sara and Maziar’s love...The author magically and skillfully describes the Persian culture and values and that makes the book so much more than a love story..We find ourselves in many of the scenes..Realistic yet romantic and beautiful Forbidden by Faith is a must read!
Ann Reed
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Negeen's beautiful prose takes us on a journey through the trials of young adulthood--of finding your own path and independence. Mix that with a love your family, friends, and faith cannot condone and the result is a series of triumphs and heartaches as felt through the heart of a young woman determined to find her way.
Reading romance
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book highlights the heartbreaking conflict between people who fall in love of different religions. It's a soul-searching journey between the couple to decide if love can overcome all obstacles. A strong story that touches on many levels. Family, loyalty, betrayal, faith, all the elements of a deep read. Anyone who has ever been in this situation will appreciate this book.
Alicia Munoz
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Pudelek
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a romance novel quite like this one. It's absolutely unique in its format, storytelling, and subject. The food, customs, and belief systems of Sara and her family really made Sara come off the page and feel like more than a character in a book. The author did a fabulous job of fully fleshing out her characters, especially her main character, and making me want to cheer Sara on in her quest for a lasting love. This was a great story and offered a different perspective than what we ...more
Elena Mikalsen
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sara is intelligent, passionate, devoted to her faith and family. But love doesn’t care about faith. What do you do when you are in love with someone your family is going to hate? The book starts off with a bang and I couldn’t put it down! Sara and Maziar are so touching together. Their love will melt your heart. This was such a great read and the writing is very melodic.
Jennifer Klepper
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't help but think of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" while reading this book. Forbidden By Faith isn't a rom-com, but it has the same soul, one that champions love and family and tradition in a multi-cultural world. Sara, a young woman from a close Persian, Muslim family balances her growing independence during pharmacy school with the pull of familial expectations of propriety and, let's face it, parents who have trouble recognizing their little girl is all grown up. Add into this a love int ...more
Dianne Freeman
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Forbidden By Faith is a beautiful love story. Two young lovers, Sara and Maziar, are at the heart of it, but the story, like love itself, is never just about two people. It's about parents, siblings, and friends; tradition, culture, and faith. All these elements pull in two different directions until the chasm between Sara and Maziar is so wide you just don't know how, or even if, they can make a life together. Papehn reveals the raw emotions of everyone involved in this relationship, deftly pul ...more
Maddison Michaels
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow. What a wonderful story! Debut author Negeen Papehn brings us an amazing and modern twist on the classic Romeo and Juliet, amidst a clash of cultures and religion. Sara's story is engrossing, particularly her having to deal with her family and balancing this with her own feelings against her cultural upbringing. There were so many twists and turns, I was intrigued right to the very end. Ms Papehn's prose was just beautiful and I'm eagerly looking forward to what she has in store fo ...more
Jessica
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Romance novels are uncharted territory for me, but this book made me so glad I decided to do some exploring. I was hooked from the first few pages! The writing style was lovely and easy to read. This was a wonderful debut, and I can't wait to see more from Negeen Papehn.
Maryanne
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Faith, tradition, family, love: what do you do when these deep bonds pull you in opposite directions? This novel explores this question and deals realistically with the answers. I loved seeing a young Muslim-American woman, living in this culture but also a little apart from it, trying to please her family and herself. It was heartbreaking to feel her pain as she falls in love with the "wrong" man -- not once, but twice... I feel like I learned something about the world as well as reading a love ...more
Alyssa
4 stars
I've read Forbidden by Faith a while ago but I needed some time to process it because I've never experienced what I did when I was reading this book. This is the first time I've hated the beginning of a book but ended up loving it. I usually waste no time DNFing when it happens but I was stranded in the country with my family and no wifi, I was in a MAJOR book slump and I really wanted to read this story because the topic is so interesting.

I love when books break the usual romance struc
Randee Green
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sara and Maziar are both Persian, and their parents and ancestors are from Iran.

The problem is that Sara’s family is Muslim, and Maziar’s family is Jewish. If you know anything about the centuries of unrest in the Middle East, you know that the differences in religion is a huge deal. Turns out that it is also a pretty big deal between Persians living in California.

Sara and Maziar, neither of whom are overly religious, are determined to make their relationship work. Maziar is confident than ever
Jessie Gussman
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting look at cross-cultural romance set in America.
Mel
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has me hooked from the very first sentence! The characters were endearing and the story was refreshing and original. This was a lovely read!
Daria
Mar 21, 2018 marked it as to-read
A BOOK ABOUT TWO IRANIANS FALLING IN LOVE???? AND IT DEALS WITH THEMES OF RELIGION AND FAITH WITHIN THE IRANIAN COMMUNITY?????? DID SOMEONE DECIDE TO MAKE MY WILDEST DREAMS AND FANTASIES COME TRUE???????????
Sally Hanan
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A romance made more interesting than most because of the cultural and religious obstacles in the way of love. I have to wonder how many relationships last the decades when extended families are not interested in staying connected because of an incoming (possible) in-law with a different background. Papehn deals with many of the situations that could occur in this romance that's only on-again, off-again because of family pressure and bigotry, and she rides us through it all to a satisfying end.
Rebekkah Brainerd
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Papehn writing style was the first thing that struck me: she's telling a story, not leading you through it. In a world where "show don't tell" is hammered into any writer's skull, I was surprised and intrigued by this shift. At first I thought I wasn't going to like it... and then I found myself unable to put it down.

There is something entrancing, seductive -- yet at the same time no-nonsense -- about the way this story is weaved. I found myself identifying with the main character Sara on WAY t
Suanne
I enjoyed Forbidden by Faith for its look into Persian family dynamics. Sara, an upper-twenties young woman finishing pharmacy school, meets two men, both forbidden to her by her family. The first, though Persian, was Jewish; the second Caucasian. Sara has an instant attraction to Maziar. She and Maziar break up after acknowledging that their relationship can never progress because of religious differences. Sara, on one hand, was not particularly likable because she uses Ben to fill the void in ...more
Allyson Abu-hajar
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free eBook from City Owl Press in exchange for an honest review.

I was drawn to the story from the excerpt, since it mirrored my own life somewhat. The story centers around two young couple, who although are of similar backgrounds, come from different religions. Maziar is Jewish and the Sara is Muslim. Both are Iranian. Neither of the two are very religious, but each hold customs that they were raised with.

The main obstacles are the family members, who become unbending in their belie
Katie O'Sullivan
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Forbidden by Faith is a New Adult coming of age story with several twists, giving us a modern Romeo and Juliet tale where religion, culture, and class prejudice act as the hurdles for our lovers to overcome. Told in first person from one perspective throughout, author Negeen Papehn shows us the inner world of first generation Iranian Americans, and the cultural challenges they face as they navigate the divide between different religions and generational preconceptions.

Sara is a Persian Muslim, f
Erika Hill
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took a heap of emotions to finish

All in all, I did enjoy this story. Boy, did I get frustrated with Sara! I couldn't figure out WHAT she was doing with Maziar and Ben. I really felt she was unfair to Ben for starting a relationship with him when she couldn't get over Maziar. I'm glad there was a HEA, but it was too much trouble to get to it. It grew tiresome at times trying to figure which way to invest my own emotions.
InD'tale Magazine
Rich in culture, this first book in the Forbidden Love series immediately draws the reader in to this modern take on a familiar star-crossed lovers tale.

Read full review in the 2018 April issue of InD'tale Magazine." target="_blank">2018 April issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Arianne
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
While not usually my genre, I really enjoyed this book. It pulls you in right from the beginning and keeps you interested, not only in finding out how things will turn out for Sara, but also because it weaves in cultural and religious dynamics that are so much bigger than any one of the characters. I would definitely recommend it!
Clarissa
Jan 17, 2018
Ivelisse Rodriguez
Jan 26, 2018
Negeen Papehn was born and raised in southern California, where she currently lives with her husband and two rambunctious boys. She wasn’t always a writer. A graduate of USC dental school, Negeen spends half of her week with patients and the other half in front of her laptop. In the little time she finds in between, she loves to play with her boys, go wine tasting with her friends, throw parties, ...more
More about Negeen Papehn

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
  • In The Flesh
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)