Start by marking “Useless Magic” as Want to Read:
Useless Magic

Useless Magic

Lyrics and never-before-seen poetry and sketches from Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine.

"Songs can be incredibly prophetic, like subconscious warnings or messages to myself, but I often don't know what I'm trying to say till years later. Or a prediction comes true and I couldn't do anything to stop it, so it seems like a kind of useless magic."
Published July 5th 2018 by Fig Tree

To ask other readers questions about Useless Magic, please sign up.
Danielle I think you could enjoy it without knowing the artist, especially if you like poetry. Most of the book is a collection of song lyrics that read like p…moreI think you could enjoy it without knowing the artist, especially if you like poetry. Most of the book is a collection of song lyrics that read like poetry with some of her actual poems in the back of the book. It has some notes and musings from her notebooks mixed in, but it's focused on her writing as opposed to facts about her or the band. (less)

Start your review of Useless Magic
Kai
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, 2018, favorites
”I guess I won't write poetry
I'll just stare at my phone for fucking eternity”

a mood
Amalia Gavea
‘’Songs can be incredibly prophetic, like subconscious warnings or messages to myself, but I often don’t know what I’m trying to say till years later. Or a prediction comes true and I couldn’t do anything to stop it, so it seems like a kind of useless magic.’’
Florence Welch

Important information: My mother has been successfully initiated to Florence coven. Mission accomplished.

Who wouldn’t fall in love with this outstanding book? A sublime piece of Art by a unique artist. Florence Welch is l
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Florence Welch has been such an important person in my life for years now. Her music is one of a kind, her words full of meaning that can left you feeling so full or so empty. Everything is full force or simmering within your veins. I love it all.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
And the moral of this reread is: Saint Florence please pray for us puny mortals.

(Florence Welch prayer candle available for sale here. A joke this ain't not.)

[April 2019]

I want to be Florence Welch when I grow up.

“I make songs to tie people to me,
With a ribbon of fantasy around their necks
Such a beautiful bow
That I hold in my fist.
And will not let go.”

· Drumming Song · How Big How Blue How Beautiful · Big God · You’ve Got the Dirtee Love · Dog Days Are Over · Cosmic Love · Delilah · Rabbit
k.
florence welch is my wiccan gf
Harry McDonald
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
((God knows how I managed to acquire a copy of this a week before its publication fate – bought it at the same time as I bought the latest album, High as Hope. Foyles on Charing Cross Road had a few rogue copies out so I bought one before they realised what they’d done.))

Useless Magic is the first collection of writings (verses?) from Florence Welch, most notable for being the frontwoman of Florence + The Machine. She’s often acclaimed for her vocals, and the band is often praised for the brilli
Adelina
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I LOVE YOU FLORENCE YOU BEAUTIFUL FOREST NYMPH
Makenzie
Nov 30, 2017 marked it as to-read
I'M SO EXCITED THIS IS A THING!!!!!!!
Nina
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I guess I won't write poetry I'll just stare at my phone for fucking eternity"
Katie.dorny
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was okay for me. I enjoyed seeing the visuals that accompanied the songs (poems) but other than that it did not blow me away at all.

It just seemed a bit like a scrapbook - it was cute but 90% of it wasn’t original material for the book. For some reason I thought it would be.

I love Florence and the Machine and I’m glad I read this. It’s lovely to look through.
Silvia
Dec 05, 2017 marked it as to-read
Holy fucking shit Florence
Ana

It surprised me how, reading them stripped of their catchy melodies, the lyrics that stood out to me weren’t necessarily those of the songs I like to listen to on repeat. I loved this scrapbook-type collection of notes, paintings, polaroids, postcards, maps, which chronicles her creative journey and shows how she seems to find inspiration in everything that surrounds her.
Rue
Jun 29, 2020 added it
Okay. Woah. Um...
I listened to 4 albums back to back. It somehow felt like a whole new experience because I went through the lyrics along with it this time.
I think there are some days when you let the melody take control over you and the other days when you let the lyrics sink in. I felt both today.
And Now I am all charged up!!
tenor-2020-06-29-T165311-260
Lucy
Dec 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
Can I give this book 5 stars already?
Anneloes
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Considering how much I love Florence, how could I have loved this any less? It's like her soul.
Iulia
I'm not a Florence and the Machine fan, but I did enjoy going through this book. However, for my taste, there were far too many song lyrics and far too few poems. On the bright side, the arrangement of pictures and notes give Useless Magic a cute, charming quality, which I suppose would be even more appreciated by a devoted fan of their music.
Devann
actual rating: 2.5

I really like Florence + the Machine but I just don't understand the 'point' of this book. Most of it is literally just reprinting the lyrics of every song off every one of her albums. I mean ...yes she has great lyrics but that is why I LISTEN to the MUSIC, or if I need to look a lyric up there are about 50 websites dedicated to just that. There are a handful of original poems at the end, but the majority of the text here is stuff we've already seen [or heard]. There's some co
sharmane
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
there’s something magical about her and her writing that hits you where it hurts - it’s a really raw and stark honesty i haven’t seen in anybody else, or connected to as much. i’ve listened and kept up with florence for six years, and this honesty of hers hasn’t changed but she’s gotten alot better at expressing it, especially with this album. so glad she’s published this collection of lyrics and poetry, it’s a slice of beauty that’s kept me alive for so long x
Décio Coelho
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"To give yourself over to another body
That’s all you want really
To be out of your own and consumed by another
To swim inside the skin of your lover
Not have to breathe
Not have to think
But you can’t live on love
And salt water’s no drink
We're dying of thirst so we feast on each other
The sea is still our violent mother
The blood round here pours down like water
Each wave a lamb lead to the slaughter
And like children that she just can’t teach
We break, and break, and break
And break ourselves upon the bea
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
I listen to Florence + the Machine every day. Her music has been there for some of the saddest and happiest moments of my life. I'm going to see her in September and I will cry. I. Need. This.
description
Candice
I've wanted this one for a very long time and it was everything I wanted it to be.
Dominic
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, memoir
Useless Magic is a music fan's dream! I'm pretty sure someone unfamiliar with Florence Welch (or her band, Florence + the Machine) would find this book worthwhile, although anyone would have to admit that the book is oh so pretty. The rich maroon cloth binding to the stunning photography on heavy paper—it's essentially an Instagram feed in book form.

If you are new to Florence, go listen to her records and fall in love with her! But for longstanding fans, this is such a special glimpse into the
Meghan Hughes
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be so beautiful. I love how the pages were filled with notes & to-do lists turned song lyrics or poetry. It had pretty little images, drawings, & scribbles of ideas woven between Florence's wonderful words. This woman is so talented. Reading her lyrics on pages was such a different experience than hearing the song or reading the lyrics on my phone. Her poetry section at the end was so great I wish it had been longer! This was a lovely read for me. Great coffee table book for ...more
Aljoša
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, english, poems
This book is a mix of poems and songs. As Florence puts it in the preface: "I don’t know what makes a song a song and a poem a poem: they have started to bleed into each other at this stage."

I've already known the beloved songs because I love Florence, but I must admit that she'd picked the most poem-y (is that a word?) songs to put in this book.
As for the original poems, I loved all of them and I liked the structure of this book.
What I really love about this book are doodles and scribbles done
Jas
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Though most of the book was lyrics from her albums, it was different reading the words. It was different seeing them alone, without the big gospel sounds typically accompanying them. I also noticed that I was mistaken about a few lyrics! The poetry section was also lovely. And the artwork and pictures were beautiful and fun.
britt_brooke
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
“I make songs to tie people to me,
With a ribbon of fantasy around their necks
Such a beautiful bow
That I hold in my fist.
And will not let go.”

- from the poem American Mother

This was sort of a scrap book of lyrics, a few poems, notes, photographs, and artwork. It’s worth checking out if you’re a fan.

Luna
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Say my name
And every colour illuminates
We are shining
And we will never be afraid again"

THIS! This is how I want my poetry to be. This is how I'd want my Instagram to be. Flornce Welch's entire being is just so dreamy and magical and of course the music is too good to not listen to. I'm listening to Shake It Out as I write this.
Courtney
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you're a casual fan of Florence + The Machine, or just an admirer of her aesthetic this is a gorgeous book to have. I'm assuming all her super fans already own it but it really is just a lovely book. Beautifully put together it includes lyrics from her four studio albums in consecutive order and a collection of poetry at the end. Included is art, photography and notes Florence has written, it really is just a lovely, lovely book. Everything from the layout, to the font, the colours, seems to ...more
Marius Paulsen (Antari-kun)
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
My god, I loved this poetry and lyric collection from the wonderful Florence Welch! Everyone should go read this and take it all in for themselves! She writes hauntingly, uniquely, amazingly poems and lyrics that will transcend life itself, but at the same time, it feels grounded in relatable life experiences. She is a goddess, but also the girl next door. How she does it, is beyond me. I love her songs and have been listening to the band for so long. But this is pure art and the book itself is ...more
lauren
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
This is a book of my soul. It's like Florence took all of my favorite things and put it into book format. #blessed

• The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #2)
  • Rest and Be Thankful
  • The Importance of Music to Girls
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Don't go blindly into the dark
  • An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration From The Private Sketchbooks Of Artists, Illustrators And Designers
  • To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)
  • Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul
  • The Dark Between Stars
  • Bone
  • Love Looks Pretty on You
  • Hera Lindsay Bird
Florence Leontine Mary Welch (born 28 August 1986) is an English musician, singer and songwriter, best known as the vocalist of indie rock band Florence and the Machine.

Florence and the Machine's debut album, Lungs, was released in 2009; on 17 January 2010, the album reached the top position in the UK after being on the chart for 28 consecutive weeks. Lungs won the Brit Award for Best British Albu