Start by marking “Useless Magic” as Want to Read:
Useless Magic

Useless Magic

Lyrics and never-before-seen poetry and sketches from Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine.

"Songs can be incredibly prophetic, like subconscious warnings or messages to myself, but I often don't know what I'm trying to say till years later. Or a prediction comes true and I couldn't do anything to stop it, so it seems like a kind of useless magic."

'An elegant collaged s
Published July 5th 2018 by Fig Tree

To ask other readers questions about Useless Magic, please sign up.
Danielle I think you could enjoy it without knowing the artist, especially if you like poetry. Most of the book is a collection of song lyrics that read like…moreI think you could enjoy it without knowing the artist, especially if you like poetry. Most of the book is a collection of song lyrics that read like poetry with some of her actual poems in the back of the book. It has some notes and musings from her notebooks mixed in, but it's focused on her writing as opposed to facts about her or the band. (less)

Kai
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, 2018, favorites
”I guess I won't write poetry
I'll just stare at my phone for fucking eternity”

a mood
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Florence Welch has been such an important person in my life for years now. Her music is one of a kind, her words full of meaning that can left you feeling so full or so empty. Everything is full force or simmering within your veins. I love it all.
kat
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
not life-changing (even as a massive florence fan), but a cool time :)
Monika
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama-poetry, 2018
Florence Welch is my favourite musician, bar none. There was no way I wasn't going to love this. The art is so beautiful and I loved seeing all of her sketches and hand written notes. I was hoping there would be more poetry than lyrics, but it's still a beautiful book for fans of FATM.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I want to be Florence Welch when I grow up.

“I make songs to tie people to me,
With a ribbon of fantasy around their necks
Such a beautiful bow
That I hold in my fist.
And will not let go.”

· Drumming Song · How Big How Blue How Beautiful · Big God · You’ve Got the Dirtee Love · Dog Days Are Over · Cosmic Love · Delilah · Rabbit Heart · Patricia · Never Let Me Go · St Jude · Shake It Out · Howl · Hunger · Queen of Peace ·

k.
florence welch is my wiccan gf
Harry McDonald
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
((God knows how I managed to acquire a copy of this a week before its publication fate – bought it at the same time as I bought the latest album, High as Hope. Foyles on Charing Cross Road had a few rogue copies out so I bought one before they realised what they’d done.))

Useless Magic is the first collection of writings (verses?) from Florence Welch, most notable for being the frontwoman of Florence + The Machine. She’s often acclaimed for her vocals, and the band is often praised for the brilli
Vani
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
"A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes
I screamed aloud as it tore through them, and now it's left me blind"
The cynic in me wants to point out that there's almost no reason for this to exist. But the rest of me loves Florence Welch and fully supports and enjoyed this. And while yes, most of it is a collection of lyrics, there is also some poetry in the back which is welcome.
"we were both sick,
and we tried to nurse each other
in the way that drowning men drag their rescuers down
Makenzie
Nov 30, 2017 marked it as to-read
I'M SO EXCITED THIS IS A THING!!!!!!!
Nina
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"I guess I won't write poetry I'll just stare at my phone for fucking eternity"
Katie.dorny
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was okay for me. I enjoyed seeing the visuals that accompanied the songs (poems) but other than that it did not blow me away at all.
It just seemed a bit like a scrapbook - it was cute but 90% of it wasn’t original material for the book. For some reason I thought it would be.
I love Florence and the Machine and I’m glad I read this. It’s lovely to look through.
Adelina
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favorites
I LOVE YOU FLORENCE YOU BEAUTIFUL FOREST NYMPH
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Holy fucking shit Florence
Ana

It surprised me how, reading them stripped of their catchy melodies, the lyrics that stood out to me weren’t necessarily those of the songs I like to listen to on repeat. I loved this scrapbook-type collection of notes, paintings, polaroids, postcards, maps, which chronicles her creative journey and shows how she seems to find inspiration in everything that surrounds her.
Lucy
Dec 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
Can I give this book 5 stars already?
Anneloes
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Considering how much I love Florence, how could I have loved this any less? It's like her soul.
Iulia
I'm not a Florence and the Machine fan, but I did enjoy going through this book. However, for my taste, there were far too many song lyrics and far too few poems. On the bright side, the arrangement of pictures and notes give Useless Magic a cute, charming quality, which I suppose would be even more appreciated by a devoted fan of their music.
ilknur a.k.a. iko ◬
Aug 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
EN SEVDİĞİMİN KİTABI BUNU BANA ALANIN KÖLESİ OLURUM

an itibariyle 6.643423143 * 14.00 £ = 93.00792396
sharmane
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
there’s something magical about her and her writing that hits you where it hurts - it’s a really raw and stark honesty i haven’t seen in anybody else, or connected to as much. i’ve listened and kept up with florence for six years, and this honesty of hers hasn’t changed but she’s gotten alot better at expressing it, especially with this album. so glad she’s published this collection of lyrics and poetry, it’s a slice of beauty that’s kept me alive for so long x
Alfredo (Fred)
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Maybe I've always been more comfortable in chaos."

Esse livro reúne as letras dos quatro álbuns de estúdio da banda Florence + the Machine (Lungs; Ceremonials; How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful; High as Hope) mais poemas inéditos da vocalista, Florence Welch. Essa leitura foi uma experiência única, mesmo eu sendo fã da banda há quase dois anos. Eu sou o tipo de pessoa que demora muito para pesquisar as letras das músicas, porque acho uma tarefa longa e cansativa, geralmente leio pelo encarte. Os
Devann
actual rating: 2.5

I really like Florence + the Machine but I just don't understand the 'point' of this book. Most of it is literally just reprinting the lyrics of every song off every one of her albums. I mean ...yes she has great lyrics but that is why I LISTEN to the MUSIC, or if I need to look a lyric up there are about 50 websites dedicated to just that. There are a handful of original poems at the end, but the majority of the text here is stuff we've already seen [or heard]. There's some co
Azrah
Dec 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
Oh hello there book-that-is-written-by-one-of-my-favourite-musicians-ever.....HOW DID I NOT KNOW OF YOUR EXISTENCE?
Dominic
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, memoir
Useless Magic is a music fan's dream! I'm pretty sure someone unfamiliar with Florence Welch (or her band, Florence + the Machine) would find this book worthwhile, although anyone would have to admit that the book is oh so pretty. The rich maroon cloth binding to the stunning photography on heavy paper—it's essentially an Instagram feed in book form.

If you are new to Florence, go listen to her records and fall in love with her! But for longstanding fans, this is such a special glimpse into the
♆Hayley (TheVillainousReader)
I listen to Florence + the Machine every day. Her music has been there for some of the saddest and happiest moments of my life. I'm going to see her in September and I will cry. I. Need. This.
description
Aljoša
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, english, poems
This book is a mix of poems and songs. As Florence puts it in the preface: "I don’t know what makes a song a song and a poem a poem: they have started to bleed into each other at this stage."

I've already known the beloved songs because I love Florence, but I must admit that she'd picked the most poem-y (is that a word?) songs to put in this book.
As for the original poems, I loved all of them and I liked the structure of this book.
What I really love about this book are doodles and scribbles done
Décio Coelho
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"To give yourself over to another body
That’s all you want really
To be out of your own and consumed by another
To swim inside the skin of your lover
Not have to breathe
Not have to think
But you can’t live on love
And salt water’s no drink
We're dying of thirst so we feast on each other
The sea is still our violent mother
The blood round here pours down like water
Each wave a lamb lead to the slaughter
And like children that she just can’t teach
We break, and break, and break
And break ourselves upon the bea
lit.erary.britt
Such a beautiful bow
That I hold in my fist.
And will not let go.”

- from the poem American Mother

This was sort of a scrap book of lyrics, a few poems, notes, photographs, and artwork. It’s worth checking out if you’re a fan.

Jas
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Though most of the book was lyrics from her albums, it was different reading the words. It was different seeing them alone, without the big gospel sounds typically accompanying them. I also noticed that I was mistaken about a few lyrics! The poetry section was also lovely. And the artwork and pictures were beautiful and fun.
Meghan Hughes
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be so beautiful. I love how the pages were filled with notes & to-do lists turned song lyrics or poetry. It had pretty little images, drawings, & scribbles of ideas woven between Florence's wonderful words. This woman is so talented. Reading her lyrics on pages was such a different experience than hearing the song or reading the lyrics on my phone. Her poetry section at the end was so great I wish it had been longer! This was a lovely read for me. Great coffee table ...more
Marijana➹
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Očekivala sam više poezije, zapravo, prvo sam očekivala samo (novu) poeziju, a ne i tekstove pesama sa svih albuma. Setila sam se koliko su mi važni i koliko volim Ceremonials i HBHBHB. Florensini crteži i rukopis definitivno upotpunjuju doživljaj zbirke i hvala joj što je uvek tako bolno iskrena i ogoljena pred svetom i što se toliko daje umetnosti.

• Taking the Arrow Out of the Heart
  • So Far So Good: Final Poems: 2014-2018
  • Into English: Poems, Translations, Commentaries
  • Something Bright, Then Holes
  • Stranger, Baby
Florence Leontine Mary Welch (born 28 August 1986) is an English musician, singer and songwriter, best known as the vocalist of indie rock band Florence and the Machine.

Florence and the Machine's debut album, Lungs, was released in 2009; on 17 January 2010, the album reached the top position in the UK after being on the chart for 28 consecutive weeks. Lungs won the Brit Award for Best British Albu
“Maybe I’ve always been more comfortable in chaos.” 12 likes
“Songs can be incredibly prophetic, like subconscious warnings or messages to myself, but I often don't know what I'm trying to say till years later. Or a prediction comes true and I couldn't do anything to stop it, so it seems like a kind of useless magic.” 8 likes