Start by marking “Daughter Detox: Recovering from An Unloving Mother and Reclaiming Your Life” as Want to Read:
Daughter Detox: Recovering from An Unloving Mother and Reclaiming Your Life

Daughter Detox: Recovering from An Unloving Mother and Reclaiming Your Life

Published October 30th 2017 by Ile D'Espoir Press

To ask other readers questions about Daughter Detox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter Detox

Travel Writing
The concept of detoxing from your mean mother was really poignant. The realization that this is a process and it will not end if you go no-contact (NC) or when your mother dies.

The gentle and firm way that these themes were repeated was very helpful and yet there is so much hope here. So many women who have experienced the darkest experiences of being emotionally abandoned and betrayed by their moms and yet made meaning of their lives without that support or adoration of a mom. I am so indebted
Tricia McBride Spaeth
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very helpful book if you, unfortunately, have a very toxic mother and sisters and you are trying to understand why. It is more like a step by step method to begin to love yourself and move forward. I hope that no one else experiences what I have with my mother and that you have a happy, loving relationship. If you do not have a kind relationship with your mother and wonder why, read this book.
Debbie
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Odd to finish this book on Mother’s Day. If this book is relevant to your life, it’s going to be tough. A bit too simplified at points, most certainly, but it nudged some self-awareness and offered what might be useful next steps. Relative to the self help genre, it spoke to me and felt useful.
Divina
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Pain is Great; The Peace and Insight are Worth It

I purchased the Kindle and Audible versions of this book. I could not read it straight through. It was painful to recollect my childhood. However, with enough therapy and constant personal development, I could see how far I had come. Those daughters who have felt the pain of being unloved can spot a kindred spirit a mile away, and it is evident that Streep gets it. I love how she takes away its power by no longer being silent. I love how she v
Lee E
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is the most comprehensive book on mother/daughter trauma I could hope to find. It hit every chord for me and I think it is an excellent source for change and healing. I would recommend a therapist go through this with you as it is overwhelming information that can trigger a lot and leave you feeling more alone if you don’t engage someone who understands you. I also think baby steps is a must.
Diana Lynn,
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peg Nailed it!!

In this book I have found all of the answers to my confusing crazy life! While the reality exposed is somewhat a jagged pill to swallow, my mind is receptive and open to the possibilities exhibited by the author. Very thought provoking, captivating and interesting theory. I am not even halfway through the read and felt compelled to rate so that some other lost daughter may benefit from this incredible information.
E. Amato
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I appreciated this book so much. I'm grateful it exists. The stories, statistics and quotes were so affirming. It was eery how much others' stories mirrored my own. I admit I have not done too many of the exercises, but I know they are there! Eventually, I will get to them. Recommend slow reading. Much of the content contains things that might need to be defused.
Melissa
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to help you recover from a toxic family.

Really helped me to solidify my decision to never contact my family again. I'll never get any kind of accountability.
Helped explain their confusing illogical behaviors too.
Joellyn Schwerdlin
Best book ever on this topic!

This book is an indispensable resource in helping unloved daughters to understand the root cause behind the brokenness of the relationship with their mothers, and offers a practical step-by-step plan for healing.
Eva Melchor
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful

The book is very well structured and has a clear process. It makes reference to studies and what socuetal expectations are. It provides practical exercise s to do but doesn t promise the panacea, work to be done with a therapist. It needs re-reading a few times.
Traceylee
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why

These books are great for people dealing with a narcissist mother. It helps you understand why you have some of the feelings you go through
Angela Baker
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Necessary

Still a bit overloaded from the read.

I plan to review the journal as well. Better than most on the subject
WthWds
Jan 15, 2019
Craig Dokter
Jan 22, 2018
Josselyn
rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2019
May 13, 2018
Erika Altuve
May 31, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Emotionally Absent Mother: A Guide to Self-Healing and Getting the Love You Missed
  • Running on Empty No More: Transform Your Relationships With Your Partner, Your Parents and Your Children
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists: Coping with the One-Way Relationship in Work, Love, and Family
  • Don't Call Me Inspirational: A Disabled Feminist Talks Back
  • Pain Woman Takes Your Keys, and Other Essays from a Nervous System
  • An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal
  • All Things Consoled: A Daughter's Memoir
  • Sunday Morning Quilts: 16 Modern Scrap Projects Sort, Store, and Use Every Last Bit of Your Treasured Fabrics
  • What Did I Do Wrong?: When Women Don't Tell Each Other the Friendship Is Over
  • Belonging: Remembering Ourselves Home
  • How to Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness: A Mindful Guide
  • The Creative Brain: The Science of Genius
  • The Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder: New Tools and Techniques to Stop Walking on Eggshells
  • Mothers Who Can't Love: A Healing Guide for Daughters
  • Human Magnet Syndrome: Why We Love People Who Hurt Us
  • Reproductive Justice: An Introduction (Reproductive Justice: A New Vision for the 21st Century)
  • Body Horror: Capitalism, Fear, Misogyny, Jokes