Start by marking “Wound Tight: A Rough Riders/Blacktop Cowboys® Crossover (1001 Dark Nights #87)” as Want to Read:
Wound Tight: A Rough Riders/Blacktop Cowboys® Crossover (1001 Dark Nights #87)

Wound Tight: A Rough Riders/Blacktop Cowboys® Crossover

(Rough Riders #16.75)

From New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Lorelei James comes a new story in her Rough Riders/Blacktop Cowboys® series…

A May-December romance hotter than the 4th of July…

Bull rider Justin Donohue spent his youth hell-bent on winning a world championship. Now retired and nearing the big 4-0, a gold belt buckle and a rusted-out pickup are all he has to show for
Published September 11th 2018 by Evil Eye Concepts, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Wound Tight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wound Tight

Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

One thing I’ve learned in the 9 years since I started reading author Lorelei James’ books is that they are like Forest Gump’s box of chocolates, you never really know what you are going to get until you get into it. It was easy to think Wound Tight would be a fun little May-December romance with lots of hot sexy times and while some of that is true, the rest was a bit surprising.

I didn’t expect for nearing 40 year old Justin Donahue, retired bull riding sensation, to be a little down on
Bookgasms Book Blog
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: missy
Dear lord, a May to December COWBOY romance? That it’s a Rough Riders/Blacktop Cowboy® series crossover? I’ve died and gone to heaven!

*fans self*

Goodness, I was sucked in to the hot, sexy, smart, snarky, fun romance between Justin and Callie from the first words of Wound Tight. I loved Callie’s fierce independence, her sass and her ability to still see the best in people and her situation. She did not wallow or feel one bit sorry for herself for the hand that life dealt her.

And Justin. Whoa, cow
Alba and Her Secrets..♥
4 'Cowboy hottie' Stars!

I always know where to go when I am in the mood for some western romance and that is Lorelei James. Before starting another full-lenght novel, I realized Lorelei just released another novella which happens to be a crossover between her famous Rough Riders series (my fave western series of all time!) and her newest westerns in the Blacktop Cowboys series.

I am so glad that Justin Donohue (brother of Jack Donohue from All Jacked Up) got to meet his soul mate in Callie Morga
Kahea
***5 ‘Team Callie’ Stars***

Even if I hadn’t been all kinds of giddy at getting my hands on Wound Tight, that prologue would’ve grabbed hold of me and had me NEEDING to dive into it ASAP because Oh. Boy! I can’t recall the last time a prologue had me going “Oh. NO she/he (??? *BSEG*) didn’t!” the way this one did. It set the tone perfectly for Justin and Callie’s story and kept me turning the pages until there were no more words to devour.

I’ll readily admit that I never thought too hard over Ju
Melissa
Lorelei James-Wound Tight

I went into Wound Tight totally blind. When I opened the book I noticed it was a crossover between the Rough Riders & Blacktop Cowboys series featuring the one and only Justin Donahue (Jack’s brother) and Callie Morgan who we were introduced to in the earlier RR books.

Now if you’re like me you might be thinking Callie? I remember that name, but I don’t recall any specifics. That’s because she was Carter & Macy’s 4 year old flower girl at their wedding. And Justi
Nadine Bookaholic

You can see this and other Reviews I have written along with various cover reveals, excerpts, and giveaways here Nadine's Obsessed with Books

Wound Tight is a crossover between two series written by Lorelei James, Rough Riders and Blacktop Cowboys, it is also part of the 1,001 Dark Nights Series, you do not need to read the prior books in either series in order to read this book, this is the best part about the 1,001 Dark Nights Series it allows authors to write novellas about characters in thei
Rebecca Black
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SWOON-WORTHY!!!!....Holy Hotness!!!!!...I am struggling for the right words right now!!!...Callie is my superhero!!!!...Out spoken!! Woman knows what she wants and NOT afraid to ask for it!!!....Justin...*sigh* .....This is a HOT HOT HOT read!!!!...MUST READ!!!
Stacia
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hot, Hot, Hot!! The chemistry between Callie and Justin is sizzling and the interactions are sexy AF! The differences and the conflicts are real and reasonable. Callie is definitely not like most 22 year olds. Another awesome addition to the amazing works of Lorelei James! Fingers crossed for a little story about Lana and Deke!!!
Under the Covers Book Blog
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it

Fans of Lorelei James rejoice!  WOUND TIGHT blends two of my favorite cowboy romance series by the Queen of this trope.  Blacktop Cowboys and Rough Riders.  The great thing about that you ask?  That you will see cameos from characters in both series and I was happier than you could imagine.  I also have the worst memory so this may have taken a l
LaWanna Lewis
Wound Tight: A Rough Riders/Blacktop Cowboys® Crossover
This book was so good just like the other Lorelei James's book. this is a crossover between the Rough Rider series and the Black Top Cowboys series.
In this book, we get to re-meet Justin Donohue (Jack's brother) and Callie Morgan. In this book Justin learns that not all women want him for his money and he also has to learn do deal with his feelings for Callie who is 18 years younger than him. Callie is head over heels for Justin the first t
Bobbi
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lorelei James is such an amazing writer, I love all her series. Roughriders is one of my all time,favorite series EVER. Then there is Blacktop Cowboy series.
If you cross them over. It can only,be,the most explosive book. Wound toght did that. I cant say enough good,things about this novella. The only down part if it was over way to quickly. I want more of,these 2,great,series together. Justin in roughriders was young and wild and you wanted to hate him a little for hurting Keely but could,quite
Barb Ledbetter
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wound Tight is a crossover story of two of Lorelei James’ best known series, Rough Riders and Blacktop Cowboys. We first met Callie Morgan as a four year old flower girl in a McKay wedding and Justin Donahue was a previous boyfriend of Keely McKay. Years later, Callie and Justin meet as employees of Grade A Rodeo School. There is instant attraction despite the eighteen year age difference which Justin has a difficult time wrapping his head around. Once they get to know each other and become frie ...more
Penny Dunn
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"If your life is a burden, then you're living it wrong." -Callie

This book was so good that I read it in one go. It has all the components for a great read: love, romance, hotness, sweetness, sexy times, and HEA. This book also made me nostalgic for past books and characters.
Brandi
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great story by Ms. James!!!

Justin has grown up a lot since we last saw him and I couldn't be happier.

Callie is just as I remember her but with miles on her soul that dont readily show.

Put these two powder kegs together and how could you not have an explosion!!
Kerry Williams
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't get enough of Justin and Callie. Justin's baby doll Callie was a little spitfire! She was just what his "prude self" needed. The sparks that flew off them was like watching a Texas size firework show. I couldn't get enough of these two. I enjoyed a peak at Jack and Keeley and their loving antics. I wanted more and more of Justin and Callie, and was sad when I came to the end. I am hoping that we will see glimpses of these two in the future.
Ryan - Sweet Red Reader
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I forgot how much I love the May-December trope, but Wound Tight reminded me why! I loved the storytelling method that Lorelei James employed (the prologue drops us in the middle of the story and and then we start at the beginning) and I loved Callie and Justin. I did feel a bit lost in the world because I have absolutely no clue about anything rodeo or ranch related, but it did not detract from my enjoyment of the story. I was especially tickled when I realized that the timeline and characters ...more
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
description
A super-hot May-December romance…

This author knows how to write heat, love and cowboys! Justin and Callie’s story was hot, emotional and a May-December romance done just right…

Callie hadn’t had it easy but she didn’t shy away from hard work and a cowboy that set her on fire. Justin had been burned before so he hid his feelings – and his fortune – behind a ‘one and done’ philosophy of love. When these two meet it is a collision of desire and, soon, feelings as they wrestle with their beliefs on w
Shana Brown
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Justin and Callie. How we have waited for your story. And who didn’t want a crossover Rough Riders/Black Top Cowboys book! When we first met Callie she was all of 4 yrs old and hanging out with Channing in the stands while her daddy rode on the back of a bull for 8 seconds. We meet Justin a few years later when Keely brought him home to meet her family. But he wasn’t the one for her. Years later Justin is working at a Rodeo school, helping to train the young guys on the proper way to ride a ...more
Crystal's Book World ~ Crystal Cordova
If I could give this book more than a 5 start rating, I would do it in a heart beat. I love all of Lorelei sexy alpha cowboys and it has been a very long time since I have been able to indulge in one of her books. I loved it so much and missed her writing. Callie is a firecracker and once she sets her eyes on something, she is not shy about getting what she wants. I loved her attitude and "Go Get 'Em" persona. She is my favorite heroine.

Justin on the other hand was bull headed when it came to t
Leagh
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Lorelei James has once again wrote a story that is both sweet and incredibly hot.

I was a little leery of the age difference between the characters but after learning more about them I realized that they were perfect for each other. The story was the perfect mix of Black Top Cowboys and Rough Riders with lots of mention of characters from both series and memories from past books. It was great to get a tiny glimpse of our beloved characters and get to meet and fall in love with new ones. I absolu
Konny
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wound Tight: A Rough Riders/Blacktop Cowboys Crossover/ 1001 Dark Nights Novella by Lorelei James can easily be read as a standalone. Yes there are ties to other books and youll meet old friends and new acquaintanes, but you dont have to read the other books first to understand the story of Wound Tight.

Justin Donohue is a man in his fourties, set in his ways, a bit restless, sucessful and has lived his life to the fullest. Now he wants to settle down, but he has major thrust issues and when he m
Jeananna
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I READ IT TOO FAST!!
Full review to come!
------------------
This may be a story of an older man, younger woman but Lorelei proves to us that age doesn't equate maturity.
Callie is tough as nails but not jaded and at 22 she is determined to make something OF herself, FOR herself. Justin is floundering. Watching others in his life settle down and find their forever but he's not even sure that forever is what he wants.
The instant chemistry (who can resist a woman dancing/grinding on a bar in short s
Linda Sims
Sep 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
I’ve not read anything by this author for a very long time I really used to love her books. But this one didn’t do it for me. I wasn't keen on the heroines character I found her a bit too much. I quite liked Justin but that wasn’t enough to save this. The dialogue left a lot to be desired I found it very cliched, and do people still say things like Daddy-O? A bit sad really as I usually love an older man and younger woman tale.
Kelly Mcclure
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy Hotness!!! Definitely needed this sweet little story to liven up my week! I absolutely love all of the cowboys from Ms. James and this story does not disappoint.

Justin Donohue was introduced to us way back during Keely and Jack’s story. He is getting his happily ever after with Callie Morgan, who we met earlier during a McKay wedding...I absolutely adore having characters who show up in other stories and the way they are weaved in is magical.

Justin has been there, done that and is ready to
Sarah ~Book Addict~
Finally Justin Donohue (Jack’s brother) gets his story! I loved this Blacktop Cowboys/Rough Riders crossover novella. Callie was just 4 years old when she first appeared. She’s now 22 to Justin’s 40 and has so many miles on her soul from what has happened in her life. Justin has matured over the years and had some painful lessons in trust taught to him. From the first meeting the attraction is strong, but once Justin finds out Callie’s age, he has issues and battles himself. What follows is supe ...more
Donna
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Justin and Callie have to be one of my favorite couples written by Ms. James! Although they are what one would consider a May/December romance, they are certainly well matched. Callie has had life experiences that's taught her to stand up for what she wants and not to let anyone put her down. Justin thinks he doesn't want a relationship due to how things went with other girlfriends.

Learning what has happened over the years to characters from the ROUGH RIDERS series was a plus as well. It always
Julie
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wound Tight is AWESOME! Justin Donahue is a former rodeo champion who ends up teaching at the Gradsky ranch. When 22 year old Callie locks eyes on him she knows she needs to get to know the cowboy hottie. Justin is on board, until he finds out she’s only 22 to his mature 40. He can’t stay away from the sassy cowgirl and the sparks fly. They must find out if they can overcome the differences of where they’re at in life, and find their HEA.
This book is so sweet and sexy. I love that they have a M
Curlyhairlass19
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gah, this book!! I need more..so much more of Justin and Callie’s story. This is one of the sexiest lil May/December romances I’ve read in a while. I just love me a sexy, dominant cowboy.
Sherry Bohrmueller
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story of falling in love. I loved that there was such an age difference and how they worked through it. It was great linking characters from other books, bringing them all together. Definitely a must read for cowboy, romance and Lorelei James fans.
Melissa Anderson
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG I loved this book soo hard. This book brings back old friends and shows us new ones as well. I'm soo glad Ms. James wrote this story. Seeing Justin and Callie all grown up was great.
Lorelei James is New York Times & USA Today Bestselling author of contemporary erotic westerns and erotic romances. She lives in western South Dakota.

Rough Riders (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Long Hard Ride (Rough Riders, #1)
  • Rode Hard, Put Up Wet (Rough Riders, #2)
  • Cowgirl Up and Ride (Rough Riders, #3)
  • Tied Up, Tied Down (Rough Riders, #4)
  • Rough, Raw and Ready (Rough Riders, #5)
  • Branded as Trouble (Rough Riders, #6)
  • Shoulda Been a Cowboy (Rough Riders, #7)
  • All Jacked Up  (Rough Riders #8)
  • Raising Kane  (Rough Riders, #9)
  • Cowgirls Don't Cry (Rough Riders, #10)