Start by marking “Dead and Butter (Southern Psychic Sisters Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead and Butter (Southern Psychic Sisters Mysteries, #1)

Dead and Butter

(Southern Psychic Sisters Mysteries #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  364 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A witchin' new series from USA Today bestselling author A. GARDNER!

Ember Greene, savvy businesswoman and troubled psychic, returns to her family's bakery in southern Alabama after her sister mysteriously disappears.

The magical folks of Misty Key have always lived in harmony. But that all changes when a maid at the local hotel is murdered, and a rogue witch is to blame. D
Published November 28th 2017 by Gardner Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead and Butter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead and Butter

really liked it 4.00  ·

Brenda
The disappearance of Ember Greene’s sister, Aqua, sent Ember home from New York and her corporate job, to her family in Misty Key where she and her sister Stevie would summon their psychic abilities to search for Aqua. When Ember found the dead maid at the local hotel, her suspicions of a rogue witch were aroused.

The need to find the witch before they caused more problems – plus find Aqua – were paramount to Ember. Could she and Stevie do it? Or would the witch’s magical powers overcome even the
Maggie
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindleunlimited
Those who haven’t seen my reviews - it gets a 4 simply for writing and publishing a book if it’s not horrid / doesn’t hit my hot buttons (e.g.. cliffhanges, TSTL ..).

So, with a book title like this you expect humor - there is none in this book, zip nada zilch. Everyone’s intense/unhappy, dire situation, no witty repartee.

The story / mystery was fine, the writing fine, the characters fine - the whole thing fine. (Yes, I’m aware better writing tips always demand you lose that word). But, nothing t
Sandy
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Book!!!
Wulfwyn
I enjoyed reading this cozy mystery. It took longer than I expected only because I fell ill while reading it and wasn’t able to read as much. I did want to get back to it so I knew I was hooked. I like the characters though it was a kind of slow warm up to them and the town for me. I think, for me, that was because there was tension among the sisters, Ember and Stevie. I needed to see who, if either, I was going to trust. In the end I liked both and was happy to see the relationship repairing. I ...more
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
An interesting start to a light paranormal series, although not much humor is present like you'd expect. The main character was a little one-dimensional, although she comes around eventually. Family tension was helpful in keeping it interesting, but police scenes were a bit lacking. Overall a decent start to a series.
Shannon Binegar-Foster
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have loved every book that I have read by A. Gardner so when I had the chance to review this I jumped at it. It was amazing. I loved the characters and the storyline. I can't wait to read the next one in the series.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Cheryl Landmark
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come soon.
Laressa Hartman
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a new author I discovered on Amazon and in 1 of my Facebook groups. I really enjoyed this book and the next one as well. Lots of laughs, a little mystery and just an overall fun read.
Merry Chapman
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great paranormal first book with murder, attempted murders and a missing sister!

A wonderful start to a new series. Ember Green kept a horrible secret for a long time and ran away from her home town of Misty Key, Alabama to a high power job in NYC. She is in line for a major promotion since she is so good with numbers. As a seer numbers is her gift. She gets calls at work from her mother, but she will not answer until she gets home from work. Then all of a sudden a call comes from the police in
Jeanne Ruczhak-Eckman
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ember Greene goes back home to help find her missing sister Aqua. Like most of us returning home after a long time away, she has some issues to confront. The psychic sisters was interesting. Ember had issues with her gift and was really unsure of herself. By the end she is readmitted as a Seer (if you feel I gave something away by saying that then series are probably not for you).

Title didn't have anything to do with the book though, except for the fact that the sisters owned a bakery. Writing i
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ember Greene is summoned back to her home town of Misty Keys, Alabama when her mother informs her that her younger sister has been kidnapped. Not only is her sister missing, her mother has had dreams that time is running out to safely bring her home.

Ember has been dwelling in New York as she tries to find a distance from her own devils. One being her inner knowledge of her father's death prior to it's happening.

This is a paranormal mystery and it was a very good book for a first novel in a seri
Una
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
First in series and new to me author. Have to say, I really enjoyed this one. It moved right along and kept me interested the whole way. I'm glad I have book two here waiting to be read as I can see lots of possibilities moving forward.

Ember Greene is an unwilling psychic from the south who is ruthlessly working her way up the corporate ladder in New York when she is called home because her little sister is missing. What follows is a race against time to find who the culprit is and to bring her
Mary Pomerantz
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I seemed to be hooked on short books with magical characters. I started this new series yesterday. I think I like them because they are short, entertaining and very light reading. I don't want anything too deep at this time in my life and I want to be able to pick up something and set it down at any time without losing the thread if it is several days before I can get back to it. This series is about psychic sisters in Alabama but there are other magical creatures who are part of the storyline. ...more
Shirley Goetz
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not my usual choice of reading but...

To tell the truth i wanted to read the book because I liked the cover. If I don't like the cover of a book I simply don't read it. Kinda like it food doesn't look good i am not Flintstones it. Although books about witches and the like aren't my reading choices I read this one and found it to be well written, the characters interesting and the plot kept me reading just to see how it would end. I will read the next one because I have seen the cover and liked it
Bonnie Drummond
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great paranormal mystery series that will have you talking to your friends about this series. Follow Ember Greene as she trys to block out who she really is; but when her baby sister goes missing she comes home to were the demons still waits for her. She has toput aside the life she made back in New Yok to the side and come together with her older sister to find their sister in Tim before its to late for the whole town.
Janis
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Sometimes a girl just has to accept her inner oddity. Ember doesn't want to be odd and she doesn't want to be in the "family" business - she wants a high power life in New York city. But the Universe wants her back in her home town keeping the books for the family bakery, keeping the peace between the magical folk in town and rescuing her kidnapped little sister. Hi-jinks and recipes, who could ask for more.
Bonnie
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Killer Warlock Among Us.

5 stars plus is what I give this book and series. There was nothing wrong with this whole storyline. What I liked about this and tell my friends about is that you have a women that came home to find her sister and to deal with the death of her Father. It takes a lot of straight and courage to face the demons like that. All with the help from family and friends. Grab a copy and read it for your self, you'll like it.
Cheryl
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in the series. The main character is Ember Greene and her sister Stevie. Ember and her whole family are some kind of magical being. Ember left town years ago and her father's death and hasn't been back. She comes back now because her younger sister Aqua has gone missing. While trying to help find her they get mixed up in murder and witchcraft. They almost lose their lives trying to bring Aqua back . I enjoyed this book. It kept me turning pages right to the end.
Krystyna
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Should have been a great read but sadly i couldn't connect to the story

This had all the components of a great read. Magic, deaths, kidnapping and general mayhem. But unfortunately it just didn't gel into the promise. The plot was a good one but again didn't live up to the promise. The characters might have been the problem as I really didn't connect to them. They seemed slightly forced and two dimensional. Maybe the next book will be better.
Melissa
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the psychic sisters. Great new series for me to start reading. Ember, Stevie, and Aqua are psychic sisters. Ember is in NYC living and trying to not use her gift. Aqua is missing and she goes home to help find her, but I think she really finds herself along the way.
Sara Miranda
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice mystery, fun read

I enjoyed this book very much, very innovative, easy read. This is the first one of these types of books I've read. Different take then what I expected. LOVE it and you should give it a try
Rayne
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
It was ok. Writing was smooth, character development ok. It did lack in a little bit of world building. The plot was ok and the mix of paranormal on point. The overall book didn’t seem to excite me. While reading the story I got into it but if I had to put it down I didn’t rush back to pick it up.
Kat Taylor
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Purvertion

A well crafted mystery with stellar caracters, mystic and alluring. Can one lost soul save her missing sister before a rouge witch kills again?read, and find out what happens if you dare, if not you miss out on a chilling cozey mystery. Kat
Linda Cole
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good

Enjoyed reading this book. A different paranormal mystery with an original twist to the plot. Characters are very realistic and with a different quality that makes them memorable
Lorraine
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BEST READ EVER!!!

Dead and Butter, was an AWESOME READ!! If you love Southern stories, this book id for you!! As a Southern girl, this brought back a lot of back home living. Witches, Seers, etc. Fill out the story, of a person who fell off the sane wagon.
D.L. Hopkins
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute and confusing

Not the story necessarily. The story over all was fairly straight forward— but the witch was—- I don’t know. I didn’t get the magical beings. Maybe I should have watched more vampire diaries so I’d have a prior working knowledge
Jennie Ersari
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute cozy.

I enjoyed reading about Ember and the mystery that brings her home to help her family and also to help her face the past she is running from. Her family helps her to realize who she is and what is important while solving the mystery.
Mickey Noel
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story!

This is a fun read! Unusual characters who co-exist with other paranormal species, and humans. The plot is cleverly written and there's just enough suspense to keep the pages turning. Well done!
Melissa Walker
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Murder in a world of magical folks

Ember's sister is missing, so she takes emergency leave from her NYC high-level job to go home to help search. She starts coming to term with her gift. The book has suspense and humor.
Cally Walker
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Southern girl and a seer

Who would want a fancy New York job if they were a southern seed? Ember can’t let go of her past and has a hard time facing it too. It takes family to sort that out
  • A Very Merry Witchmas (Main Street Witches, #4)
  • Death of a Wolfman (Lily Gayle Lambert, #1)
  • We are NOT Buying a Camper! (Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries #0.5)
  • Auld Lang Syne : A MARY O’REILLY SERIES SHORT STORY
  • The Missing Librarian (Lainswich Witches #4)
  • The Secret (Seacliff High Mystery #1)
  • Christmas, Criminals, and Campers (A Camper & Criminals Cozy #4)
  • Deadly Vows (A Britton Bay Mystery #2)
  • The Novel Art of Murder (Mystery Bookshop, #3)
  • A Grizzly Discovery (Willow Bay Witches #5)
  • The Middle House: Return to Cold Creek Hollow
  • Magic All Around
  • Lilac Skully and the Haunted House
  • Mind Games (Cassie Scot #3)
  • A Witchy Mystery (Harper Grant Mystery #2)
  • Pressing the Issue (Cookbook Nook Mystery, #6)
  • Where Witches Lie (Witch Squad Mystery #6)
  • Lucky Witch (Beechwood Harbor Magic Mystery, #5)

Southern Psychic Sisters Mysteries (6 books)
  • Mississippi Blood Cake (Southern Psychic Sisters Mysteries #2)
  • Dead Velvet Cheesecake (Southern Psychic Sisters Mysteries, #3)
  • Lemon Meringue Die (Southern Psychic Sisters Mysteries #4)
  • Chocolate Dead Pudding (Southern Psychic Sisters Mysteries, #5)
  • Pineapple Upside Drown Cake (Southern Psychic Sisters Mysteries Book 6)