Start by marking “Meeting Design: For Managers, Makers, and Everyone” as Want to Read:
Meeting Design: For Managers, Makers, and Everyone

Meeting Design: For Managers, Makers, and Everyone

Meetings don’t have to be painfully inefficient snoozefests—if you design them. Meeting Design will teach you the design principles and innovative approaches you’ll need to transform meetings from boring to creative, from wasteful to productive. Meetings can and should be indispensable to your organization; Kevin Hoffman will show you how to design them for success.

Published March 15th 2018 by Two Waves Books

To ask other readers questions about Meeting Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meeting Design

Jess
I was a technical reviewer for this book, and I used to work with the author, Kevin Hoffman, years ago.

Kevin was the first person to teach me how to run a successful meeting. I’ve used those meeting skills ever since. I’ve moved many projects forward by leading a structured discussion or a workshop, all thanks to the foundational soft skills Kevin taught me.

I believe Kevin's book can help you become more effective at meetings as well.

It’s exciting to see how far the book progressed since I re
Graham Herrli
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design-related
Early in Adam Connor's career, he led a day-long workshop where the goal was to nail down an idea that could be quickly prototyped. It was costly: a full day's salary of everyone present. That included people from his design agency and many stakeholders from the company they were working with. And at the end of that day, he found that they didn't have the information they needed to move the process along. He says he was shocked that anyone even let him run a meeting again. From that failure, he ...more
Michał
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Michał by: kevin_m_hoffman
TL;DR for the review (not the book).
This book is not directed specifically at designers. In fact, it's for everyone at your organization. It contains a lot of useful advice on how to improve your meetings. I would highly recommend it to anyone who sighs at the sight of their calendar and thinks "When will I have the time to do the thing they pay me for."

The author goes through several types of problems one might encounter during a meeting and offers potential solutions. I especially like the for
John Hieb
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having worked for companies that think about processes, I didn't learn a lot of new concepts while reading this book. With that said, I wish this book years ago. It is a good collection of the important elements of a number of different types of meetings. It is also a fresh reminder to not be in meetings that don't matter, and to make the meetings you are in matter to everyone who needs to be involved.
Joshua
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful. I took a lot of notes, so it took me awhile to get through, but I have lots of ideas to bring back to the team to help make our meetings better.
Jonathan
Dec 09, 2018
Lisa
Jul 10, 2018
Jennifer Hogan
rated it did not like it
Sep 03, 2018
May 11, 2018
J. Elise
Mar 22, 2018 added it
Shelves: meetings
My favorite section of this book was the part that discussed the different ways information is processed in the brain and how memories are formed, and the related implications for meeting design. The interviews with various industry professionals are also interesting.

I believe this book would be most useful to people working in design agencies and custom software development firms, as many of the examples draw from that world.
Ian Malave