Start by marking “Cloudia and Rex” as Want to Read:
Cloudia and Rex

Cloudia and Rex

A lushly rendered supernatural fantasy that follows two girls and their mother who find themselves in the middle of a vast, supernatural exodus. On their journey Cloudia is bestowed the powers of hundreds of different gods, but even those don't help her come to terms with the death of her father.
Published November 28th 2017 (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Cloudia and Rex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cloudia and Rex

Mitticus
+Digital arc gently provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review+

A mother and two daughters are moving after the father death, amidst the odiosities of the older daughter who is about to turn thirteen, when falls over the family, literally from heaven, a pantheon of gods that are fleeing from their own destruction.

First thought: what a mess!

Mix a bunch of all-you-can-think mythological mumbo-jumbo add senseless plot dump over one annoying unbereable adolescent and shake.

The authors app
Devann
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This was a really cute story and I loved the art, but I think the whole thing would have benefited from being a bit longer. Things moved a little bit too fast and right when I was getting into it then it was over! But I really liked the characters and there was a really cool blend of different mythologies and also mixing that with modern technology. It's a good quick read but it definitely made me wish there was m
Chad
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of a mother and her two daughters, one of who is a snotty little teenager, the kind of which makes you regret ever having children. They are visited by forgotten gods who are fleeing from a god who is trying to kill off all other gods. The story is intriguing, but confusing at times, especially when the gods get involved. The art is quite good, but wasn't a fan of the muted purple color palette. It's a quick read at only 60 pages of story.

Received a review copy from Lion forge and NetGalle
Paul Decker
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book as an eARC from Diamond Book Distributors via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This comic is a story about a family that gets involved with world-ending gods. The gods in this story come from every religion. It is an interesting concept that each god exists as long as mortals have at least a cursory understanding of them. I liked that the story takes place on December 21, 2012.

The vibe of this comic reminds me of Saga and Jupiter Ascending. It's the modern world,
Krystal
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel did not disappoint, delving into the supernatural alongside teenage angst and grief, as these Afro-Latinx family strategized to move forward against forces of destruction!
Sara Weather
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
(received from netgalley for review)

Art: Kind of ultraviolet look
Story: Halfway confused by certain events in the story did not like that, liked the art, the daughter is the typically written teen (actually not necessarily something you see in young adult books but more in television/movies), in the end I feel it was okay but not something I’d probably continue
Miss Jools
Dec 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sadly, I cannot recommend this graphic novel. While the art is interesting and the character designs are good, the actual story is a bit of a mess and the characters irritating - especially the overly bratty kid!

Not for me - though I do like the art work!
Kajsa
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the surface it looks like a ordinary superhero comic but this is so much more. Strong topics such as grief and love are covered in this comic.
Lör K.
I received a free ARC of this from Netgalley and Diamond Book Distributors. This in no way affected my review.

Publication Date: 28th November 2017
Review Date: 06th November 2017

Cloudia & Rex was good. I enjoyed it enough to maybe consider getting a copy or borrowing a copy when it comes out to reread it. The story is firm enough, and it's definitely nice to see strong black characters, especially strong black female ones, through the story. There is plenty of science fiction, there is plen
Cande
Cloudia and her sister Rex lost their father recently and their mother decides to move away. Meanwhile, Gods and Goddesses are escaping from their world to save themselves. Cloudia's family and these entities collide: Rex becomes a rhino, and Cloudia's phone has the powerful entities inside.

Cloudia is dealing with her grief, sadness, and anger. She is trying to accept what happened with his father. Her feelings are raw and complex, and she's a wonderful character. Well, the three women are very
Wayne McCoy
'Cloudia and Rex' by Ulises Farinas with art by Erick Freitas is a weird story with weird art, but I kind of liked it.

Cloudia and Rex are sisters and they are moving to Seattle with their mother. For no given reason, a group of gods trying to stop the end of the world get involved in their lives. Cloudia finds she has super strength, and Rex can turn into any animal she likes (for Rex, this is mostly extinct animals). The opposing gods seem to be easily foiled by technology like Cloudia's smart
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Goodreads Synopsis:

My Review:
I received a copy of Cloudia and Rex from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is incredible. It's story is just so unique and I would never have been able t
Ronald Hopkins
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Franco
A strange graphic novel that doesn’t do a good job of explaining things. It goes from a quick intro about a human family moving to a new city straight into gods—particularly Death—and annihilation, with some Aztec warrior-looking creature as the bad guy, both powerful and psychologically slimy. But without any attempt at explaining, it lost me right away.
Thankfully it had plenty of funny moments. For instance, it’s not just looking at phones that causes car crashes; it’s trying to swipe them fro
Lulu
I will say that this story is certainly ambitious. The cover art is cool but the rest is less polished. I cannot give this more than two stars. Cloudia is one of the most unlikable characters I have come across in a while. The synopsis is a fairly accurate description of what happens but when you read it you are dumped into the middle of the conflict causing the supernatural exodus without any context or real connection to what else is going on. Cloudia is in the process of moving with her mothe ...more
Jim
This is wicked weird!

As the comic opens, I can only say, “What the…?”

I like the design. It’s really different.

And I don’t think I’ve ever seen angels portrayed like they are really described in the Bible!

It gets a little confusing at times, but overall, I like the story. There are just some parts that are a tad unclear. This is one of the things I find with sequential art - when the story is told in pictures, if the pictures aren’t perfectly clear, the story sometimes isn’t clear.

But also,
Theediscerning
Dec 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
That crunching sound you can hear is each and every world mythology (plus some tosh about the High Waveline, or something) colliding with the world of three black females, mother and two daughters, for the sake of the universe. Oh, and if that wasn't enough, all the recent Doctor Who regeneration SFX are dragged into things, just because. The book has huge problems, ranging from the annoying (the chief daughter is just a brat, and nobody here is even likeable), to the seriously awkward (the artw ...more
Alenka
I wanted to like this more than I did, but I found the pacing confusing at times, and was hoping for more character development for Rex, seeing as her name is in the title! Cloudia is really the star of the show; Rex has few lines, and mostly we learn that she loves extinct animals and seems to have a big heart. As a snarky, rebellious teen, Cloudia is an engaging character who receives the most character development as she eventually literally is able to look into her mother's struggles. The ar ...more
Aimee
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I really wanted to love this as there were many elements I typically enjoy in a graphic novel (the art, female leads, fantasy) but overall I felt this really suffered from rushed pacing. We didn't have enough time to grow attached to or learn more about Cloudia and her family, it made some parts hard to follow, and overall it just lessened the emotional weight of important moments. I would like to read more work from this author in the future but this one didn't land for me.

I received a free cop
J.D. DeHart
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can honestly say that there is not one aspect of Cloudia & Rex that works in the same way as any other graphic novel I have read. The book is colorful and has many layers in the way it operates. The central characters guide the story, but boy does it go in some interesting directions. All the while, the panels unfold, each one sharing something new and interesting.

There are mythical characters and an entire creative universe at work here that left me wanting more by the end of the book. Th
C. Erani Kole
*voluntarily and honestly reviewed the ARC I received from NetGalley*

This was a surprisingly okay read. It's my first time with these authors, and I took a chance on this series. I'm both cool with it and thinking that I may or may not read any more from them. I liked the illustrations. The dialogue was a little lacking. I didn't know where the story line was going and it didn't flow for me as much. The ending seemed abrupt and just overall I'm gonna say this isn't for me.
Laura Martin
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inventive character designs and lush landscapes colored in otherworldly tones of purples and blues make for a fun fantasy romp. The main character Cloudia, despite her somewhat prissy teenage attitude towards her mother, is instantly likeable for her humorous quips and barbs. A couple of the twists and turns of the narrative caught me off guard in the best of ways. The book isn’t perfect, it’s a bit rushed, but it’s very fun!
Lorryn Woodward
I received this through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the art. It's bright, vibrant, and different. I really like the concept, it's unique and the three main characters kick serious butt. However, the story itself was lacking. It felt really rushed and for me, it just didn't flow nicely.
Heather
I want to love it more because of the diversity and nifty illustraton but the plot is thin and Cloudia is portrayed so negatively. I dunno that tweens would like the whole "only care about my phone schtick."
Erica McGillivray
A great three-part story about a mother and her two daughters who given god-like powers. It's also a story about grief, acceptance, and love.
Larakaa
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owning
Oh my glob the finale/solution is truly great! I laughed and cheered out loud. Won’t spoil anything. What a terrific mini series!
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story!
Laurian
Just really cliched.
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
My review was first posted on Northern Plunder, you can read more of my reviews there too.
Cloudia and Rex was available to download and read on NetGalley so I did on a whim because the cover looked cool. Oh and the synopsis had me interested too.

What I didn’t know what was that it was only 80 pages.

Cloudia and Rex had a lot going for it. But a lot missing.

So I’ll break it down as softly and simply as possible to avoid any major spoilers.

Things I liked
> correctly portrays 2 children of differe
Liz (Quirky Cat)
I received a copy of Cloudia and Rex from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The concept behind Cloudia and Rex is a pretty interesting one, at its core. A mother and her two daughters (Cloudia and Rex, the namesakes of the graphic novel) are heading out on a journey to find a new life for themselves. However, what they find along the way isn’t something any of them could have predicted; gods and a war or celestials (and thus for life itself).
In actuality Cloudia and Rex was a