Start by marking “Words From An Unlikely Poet” as Want to Read:
Words From An Unlikely Poet

Words From An Unlikely Poet

Book Description:

A candid collection of powerful poems ranging from observational material to struggles with mental health. Also some about love, life and a few things in between.

Book reviews:

• This is an excellent debut collection of poetry from British poet, Charlie Hasler. (Carmen)

• Very powerful, emotional poetry. I was immersed in every one. Well worth a read! I high
Published November 5th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Words From An Unlikely Poet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Words From An Unlikely Poet

Start your review of Words From An Unlikely Poet
John Farebrother
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If literature is wine, then poetry is brandy, to be enjoyed in responsible quantities. I rarely read poetry, but when some good verse comes my way, I very much enjoy it. That is the case with this slim, unassuming volume. Rather than read it all in one go, I paced myself, spreading it out over a couple of weeks, and I think the experience was the better for it.
The little-known (to me at least) author is a master of the use of language, using repetition, not just of rhyme and rhythm but also of s
⭐ Emerson ⭐
May 11, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-not-read
Free on Amazon
Kimelene Carr
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charlie Hasler's collection takes the reader on an emotional journey through his compellingly deep, at times dark words(which I do love and can relate to) and thought provoking expressions. Though it is a 'short read', it certainly cannot and should not be read quickly as his words and expressions command the reader to ponder, absorb and re read. I look forward to future publications by this 'Unlikely Poet'
Nigel Smith
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A tour de force! What I like about Mr Hasler's book is its unique style, the way the poems thunder along. Yes it is dark, but poets don't choose their subjects all the time, the subjects choose them. There is plenty of understated image conjuring, but never too much. You finish a poem and think, 'hang on' and read it again as you start to realise the depth of the piece. Highly recommended.
Lisa Reynolds
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Words From An Unlikely Poet (2017) by Charlie Hasler is the poet’s debut collection of poems.

Hasler’s poetic style is very accessible and is spoken from the heart. The poems have a lot of depth and are very authentic to life’s ups and downs. They are at times dark but that’s true of life sometimes. It is a perfectly paced and put together collection which delves into themes such as depression, self discovery, love, religion and life. The tone is very matter-of-fact but heartfelt. A very touching
Bekah Smith
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
NOTE: I was given a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

The final poem in Hasler's collection is titled 'It Is What It Is'. I believe this phrase applies to the collection as a whole. There are several shining stars - especially selections in which Hasler uses the sea as imagery, or calls back to his child hood (see 'I Rise''The Departing Green' 'Cool Winter Sand' and others). These are mixed in with poems that seem...unfinished. Each with potential, but lacking the cohesion th
Linda Dobinson
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie-poetry
I found these intensely personal poems moving. They are full of emotion - love, hate, regret, turmoil, but whatever the emotion they are always well written and powerful.
I loved how some words and phrases are repeated and reversed which adds to the intensity.
Here are two examples -

Silent the silence whispers, a silent whispered sound,
Muffles my ears with cupping whispers,
Quietened whispers cupping my ears with softly sound (p5)

One slightest tilt I'll be cast down into shadows,
Shadows, shadowing
Karen Horsley
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry

In this book the author writes on a spectrum of emotional experiences, from the deepest despair, such as in 'Dead As January', to the truest words of love in 'Bluest Moon Rare'. His words will resonate with many leaving you with hope and inspiration.

It's difficult to choose a favourite but 'Astride The In Between' is simply beautiful, with its gentle words flowing over you and mirroring the poem's narrative... quit
Travelin
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have less and less time to read random suggestions, but after several days of reading insipid poetry, I took a chance, based mainly on the author's photo. I wasn't disappointed. This has flashes of quite muscular poetry which can wake you up if you're getting bored of modern poetry. I can't say that the messages of some of his strongs poems such as "Prison I Create", "Quieter Role" and "I Care Not" are necessarily comforting, but atypically for the journals I've been browsing, they do say some ...more
Christopher Manners
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-poets
Hasler provides intriguing poems, conveying emotions with much intensity. I enjoyed the poet’s use of rhyme and rhythm, as he ranges from descriptions of sorrow to the joy of love. He depicts a struggle with emotional pain, while also relating the importance of endurance. In addition, the poet offers societal critique and shows admiration for his father. It appears that love calmed the storm and provided stability in the poet/ narrator’s life. An enjoyable book.
SALLY WHITE
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Goodreads for sending me this book. A first book of poems from this author, some very personal. There is a mixture of emotions here, some uplifting, some disquieting. Overall I found the book enjoyable and a worthwhile read.
Joanna
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
I won this book on a giveaway and here is my honest review

I love these poems so much they are full of emotion and I can read them over and over again. They are inspiring and well written

I hope to buy more of your publications
Richard
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Top quality from start to finished, deserving of 5 stars.
Pat Cavill
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting read if a little depressing at times. Give it a try.
Gareth Culshaw
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The poet has a good rhythm in his work. I like the unexpected repetition in some of the stanzas. Let's see where this poet goes with the pen...
Neil Burke
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At a time when a lot of writing reads like "painting by numbers", of cliche and easy to consume pop-culture that can be read on the train to work, this is a great piece of work that forces you to sit down, without distraction, and read and think and question (yourself and the writer).

There's not enough genuine work like this and if you're looking to write with integrity, this collection of poems from Mr Hasler is a quality compass to set you on your way.
Mr QRR
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The poetry is genuinely insightful and moving. Brilliantly written by this new author. I would thoroughly recommend this to any fan of poetry.
Michelle Welch
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A brief volume of powerful poetry, well balanced between dark themes and notes of hope.
Avid
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The poems in this book are thought provoking, give a powerful insight into the dark side of stress, the beauty of love and the experiences of everyday life. A book I will re-visit many times and recommend. I look forward to further work from this exciting new poet.
Hannah
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hasler’s poetry collection Words From An Unlikely Poet is a short, touching collection of poems about his struggles with mental illness. It covers a variety of themes, including love, loss and observational wealth. This is Hasler’s first published collection although he used to write poems for his blog before hand and there is a second one published now called Further Thoughts. A third, and final, instalment in the series will be out soon and after that Hasler plans to write more poetry and even ...more
Grady
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘It is not always the winning that wins the race’

British poet Charlie Hasler lives in North Wales and works at a Law firm based in Chester, writing in his spare time. His respected poetry is gaining a strong following, and for good reason. Charlie is Dyslexic but he states he ‘does not find it to be a hindrance, especially when it comes to his poetry writing, quite the opposite in fact.’ His poems often reflect the approach the demands and the challenges of those with mental health problems as w
Seemeen Yousufzai
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
It was a great delight and a learning experience reading Charlie Hasler's Words From An Unlikely Poet. The poems are relatable, contemporary, and filled with imagery. Hasler's writing has a unique fresh quality to them and the tone is very pragmatic. It reminds me of some work of T. S. Eliot in its depth and succinctness. It is a book that you would want to slowly savour and it will stay with you for a long time. A highly recommended read for everyone and one of my personal favourites!
Regina
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recognize Life filled with void along with a slim bit of hope. Feel the burden for the standards of men, which women are spared. We all bear unique obligations. My favorite poem is Burn On for reasons better left unsaid as they could be held against me. The poems remind me a lot of family ties. Famous last words, It Is, What It Is, a very male perspective. Females say, It Ain't, But It Oughta. Enjoyed the book from beginning to end. Look forward to the next chapter.
Chuck Denison

• DROPKICKromance
  • Whiter Than Snow
  • Tom Sawyer Collection
  • Chinese Cooking: Favorite Chinese Takeout Recipes
  • How to quickly and easily improve your reading comprehension skills - Effective ways for increased general and academic reading comprehension - for all ages
  • doll eyes.
  • Shaking the Moon to Free the Stars: (An Original Poetry Collection for the Kid in all of us!)
  • The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle
  • Dorothy in the Land of Monsters (Oz ReVamped, #1)
  • Free and Clear: Where to Find the Best FREE eBooks Online
  • The Birthday List (Maysen Jar, #1)
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • iPhone X: 2018 Ultimate iPhone XS, XS Max and iPhone X User Guide with Tips and Tricks (iphone x xs guide , apple iPhone X for beginners Book 1)
Charlie Hasler was born in North West England but now he lives in North Wales with his fiancé, Dog Dylan and Cat Bella.
His writing started a few years ago but was something he always put down more than picked up. After a tough couple of years he has found himself writing again.
Charlie's writing mainly focuses around poetry. He is Dyslexic but does not find it to be a hindrance, especially when it