Start by marking “The 9th Hour (The Detective Temeke Crime Series #1)” as Want to Read:
The 9th Hour (The Detective Temeke Crime Series #1)

The 9th Hour

(The Detective Temeke Crime Series #1)

When the ninth young girl falls into the clutches of a serial killer, maverick detective, David Temeke, faces a race against time to save her life.

The Duke City Police Department in Albuquerque, New Mexico is no stranger to gruesome murders, but this new serial killer on their block keeps the body parts of his eight young victims as trophies and has a worrying obsession wi
Published (first published January 31st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The 9th Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 9th Hour

Kristin Gleeson
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claire Stibbe’s writing grabs us instantly in this taut thriller, The 9th Hour, the first in a series featuring Detective Temeke, a Brit of African descent. In this novel, Temeke is up against a serial killer who is driven by the darker side of Norse myths that compel him to prey on young girls and women. Temeke, frustrated and filled with his own issues, comes up against this twisted killer and with the help of his female assistant is led down blind alleys and false perpetrators. Tense action a ...more
Gloria Antypowich
“I’ve been thinking, sir. The ninth hour doesn’t mean the number of hours the victims were missing before they were killed. It means the hour of day. Any day.”
David stared ahead through the windshield, watching the flash of traffic lights as they sped past. “Nine o’clock in the morning or nine o’clock at night?” “
That depends.”
“On what?”
“On whether you're talking about Jewish or Gentile time.”
This portion of text is not a spoiler, it was something that stayed with me after I finished the Nint
Gisela Hausmann
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa, this thriller had me on the edge.

Author Claire Stibbe does not waste a second. Her book "The 9th Hour" begins,

" The man walked to the edge of the wood swinging a steel forged axe. Blood dripped from the blade and left a sticky trail in the dead brown leaves..."

Who is he?

A serial killer, who believes he has to behead nine young girls to fulfill a Norse legend. The killer is smart, cunning, ruthless and of course, sick in his head.

"... When he took life, it was only to resurrect that which
B.A. Morton
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be the best thriller I’ve read in recent times. From the opening page and a bloodstained axe, the author delivers a succession of scenes that are so compelling, there was no way I could put the book down. Forget all those whodunits with formulaic plotting, this one will turn you inside out as you follow Detective Temeke and his new partner on a twisted and terrifying journey to capture a crazed Norwegian serial killer.
With its unsettling Nordic, noir undercurrent, and wild New Mexic
Seumas Gallacher
...a superb thriller...

...set in New Mexico, The 9th Hour is a superbly written thriller... from the opening passages, Detective David Temeke and his female partner, Detective Malin Santiago, are faced with a Norwegian serial killer who is is at once intelligent and twisted... the intricacies of the murderer’s driven mindset, steeped in Norse mythology, beautifully counterpoints the equally determined Temeke in his pursuit of the killer... the tension is palpable, and ratchets up chapter by chap
Jean Gill
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great psychological crime - I can’t wait for Detective Temeke Book 2!

There’s a new cop on the mean streets of my bookshelves; David Temeke

‘The 9th Hour’ oozes urban crime and corruption in a race against time to find the serial killer whose MOD is cutting off heads and who has an obsession with Norse Mythology.

C.M.T. Stibbe’s new detective series brings Scandinavian psychological tension to New Mexico’s seedy bars and savage forests. Detective David Temeke is as much an outsider as the criminals
Anthony Ambruso
Feb 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really?

Got through eight pages. I never knew what the author was trying to say. His attempt at snappy, believable dialogue were sentence fragments which didn't seem to relate to the previous sentence. I hated all eight pages. I refused to do it. I deleted the blasted thing.
chelepissbcglobal.net
FfBoring.

I really and truly tried to get into this book. However, it was very boring and written in a very disjointed manner. I got halfway through and then finally gave up. It was written in such a way that it just couldn't hold my interest.
Liesbeth
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just not my cup of tea. I like thrillers, but I never got into this. Tameka seems like a nice enough guy, we do get to know him a bit. The story is ok. But somehow I never took to any of it. Can't put my finger on why I didn't, because I really wanted to like the book. Somehow it's disjointed, lacks cohesion. Like the part about his wife, few mentions, could be good, brushed over.
And the last bit, the endless chase part, just went on way too long. However, that is personal opinion, as I don't e
Emily
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK read

An OK read. Not bad enough so I didn't finish reading it, but not good enough to make me want to read more of the series. It felt like the author was trying to shock the reader to draw them in, but didn't support it with strong writing. The main character was very cliché and overall characters didn't feel very developed. You know who the killer is pretty early on so it kind of took away some of the intrigue.
heather steigler
Hard

I found myself losing interest quite often. The writing didn't keep me wanting more. Couldn't get into the characters at all. I finished it but I can't say it was truly enjoyable. If I wasn't working on a book challenge, I would've just left it.
Ivana
Jan 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, i-own
The idea is good, but everything from the murdered, plot, detectives, is bad. The characters are jumbled and their backgrounds have too much elements that don't fit. The story is only piling together as it goes along, with more and more details being added that seem like an afterthought to add more complexity and no sense to it.
I was disappointed and outraged from the middle of the book till the end with so many cliches.
Christine
Difficult to follow

I found this book very confusing from the beginning. I did not enjoy the writer's style of writing, it jumped about too much, sometimes even within the sentences so that I found it very difficult to follow. I don't think I shall be bothering to read any more books in this series.
mary zidalis
So so

I really didn't get the connection between New Mexico, a British detective of African origin and a Norwegian killer? Too much confusion. Story was so-so, can't say I'd recommend or read another by this author.
Tamlyn Norcott
The storyline was good, but I really struggled with Claire's (author's) writing style, it didn't seem to flow and I couldn't fit all characters in easily, often having to re-read sections.
Lynne Rossman
Feb 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not follow along with this book - the writing was disjointed and confusing to me. Never got past page 40+
Norma Todd
Good police story

The transition from chapter to chapter could have been smoother. Some story lines were left dangling in the air. ok
esther
Jan 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dont

One of the most frustrating books I have ever read - do hard to get a grip of this story
Neil Newton
“The ninth hour” is like no book I’ve ever read. It could easily be characterized as a serial killer story or perhaps a story of ritual murder. But no matter hard I tried, I couldn’t come up with an easy categorization.
My first impression was “film noir”. Not that this book reminds me of Fred MacMurray in Double Indemnity, but there is an abiding darkness to this book, a strong sense of the underbelly of life. There is no break in the tension and very little humor or down time from the disturb
Anita Kovacevic
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
Detective stories have been among my favourites ever since I can remember. This book is the first in a series, so, although its lead detective Temeke is quite an acquired taste, burdened with plenty of faults and not many likeable habits, his pitbull-like persistence and dedication might just make you a fan and follower of his further cases. Although my personal favourite would be his assistant partner Malin, as I found her more relatable at times. It will be interesting to see them grow in furt ...more
Birgit
Nov 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I admit: I only read - or should I say fought my way through - half of it before finally giving up. This is the first book in a series, but I never lost the feeling that I was missing something vital which was explained in previous books, as if this one was part of a series where you needed the previous books to understand what on earth was going on.
The characters: no background information, nothing regarding what makes them tick and who they are. The plot: okay murdered girls, about 7 of them,
Kathy
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than most

One can tell that the author is familiar with the area,and for those of us from Albuquerque, that makes it fun.
But it also causes us to find the mistakes.
Edna said Patti, wrong name
Maples are only found in 4th of July Canyon, which is on the east side of the Monzano Mountains, not any where near Cimarron.
Stags are deer. Male elk are bulls.
Does are deer. Female elk are cows.
Shelby barn, not the Toby barn.
What's wonderful is that the author didn’t butcher the English language! Ma
Jeannine Stewart
Interesting concept...............the main character is of Ethiopian/British ethnicity, raised in Britain and working as a detective in New Mexico where he doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of the force and is juggling a nasty case and a failing marriage. Match him with a new partner, a woman, who is a Norwegian/Hispanic former escort and you have a very unusual partnership. The characters are complex and the plot intense, revolving around a serial killer of young girls and Norse mythology. G ...more
Corinne
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. The characters were a little bit difficult to imagine as I don't think their descriptions were that clear. Also the interactions between the two main characters, Temeke and Malin, was a bit difficult to understand. Also, Temeke says repeatedly that he is married however that relationship is weird as well. The story line is interesting and comes together at the end rather nicely. A good suspense novel that was enjoyable.
Evelyn Strait
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great 👍 read.

This story keep me on the edge of my seat. I kept wanting to know what was going to happen next. Ole was a horrible, sick human being, but he was also good looking and a smooth talker. It was easy for him to get the girl's attention and too easy for him to kidnap them. I really thought he and Morgan were twins.
Ginney Etherton
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters are credible and I enjoyed the changing POV, delving into their thoughts and emotions. The first 2 or 3 chapters drove me crazy, though, because everything is thrown at the reader all at once. I had to reread them to follow who was who. Another weird thing Stibbe does is run the time and location changes together without line-breaks. Really confusing.
margaret
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book surprised me as at first I felt like giving up on it as it seemed a bit disjointed, but I went back and started again. I was pleased I did as the more I read the more I wanted to read, just goes to show never give up on a book. It's not a book for the faint hearted as it's quite gory in places.Will be looking for more by this author.
Cindy West
I had a bit of trouble getting started with this book. I'm not terribly fond of the characters, who I assume will continue to show up in future novels, so not sure I will read another in this series. I finished it only because I don't like to leave things undone!
Bette
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A serial kliler, nine young girls, a British detective in New Mexico.
Flow is choppy, Characters are indefinite and introduced piece meal. Had to force mystelf to continue reading by taking frequent breaks which added even more to the choppy flow of the story.
Ieshea
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chilly Saga

Well written, catches and keeps your attention,throws a loop or two to make sure you are snared and the characters have grit and are human with all their follies and quirks
  • Ruthless (The Blackwell Files, #2)
  • The Arimathean (Book two in the Slow Boat to Purgatory Series)
  • ALL ACTION THRILLER BOXSET: THREE MURRAY MCDONALD STANDALONE THRILLERS
  • Still Kicking
  • The Butchered Man (Northminster Mysteries, #1)
  • Terminal Justice
  • Miami Burn (Titus South Florida Mystery Thriller Series Book 1)
  • A Long Time Dead (The Dead Trilogy, #1)
  • The Evil Shepherd
  • Murder In Paradise
  • Total Victim Theory
  • The Battle of Jericho (Detective Jericho Series #2)
  • A Chain of Evidence (Fleming Stone #3)
  • The Professor: Book 0
  • 1964 (Made in Yorkshire #1)
  • Stolen (Diana Hunter #3)
  • Death Of a Temptress (Dave Slater Mystery Novels, #1)
  • The Only Witness (Neema Mystery, #1)
Winner of the New Mexico/Arizona Book Award and two time finalist, Claire Stibbe writes crime thrillers set in the US.

She is also a reporter for Stand True 4 Blue dedicated to law enforcement, a member and graduate of the Citizen Police & BSCO Sheriff’s Academy. A former journalist and magazine editor, she lives in Utah with her husband and son.

Find out more about Claire at www.clairestibbe.co

The Detective Temeke Crime Series (5 books)
  • Night Eyes (The Detective Temeke Crime Series #2)
  • Past Rites (The Detective Temeke Crime Series #3)
  • Dead Cold (Detective Temeke Crime Thriller Series Book 4)
  • Easy Prey (The Detective Temeke Crime Series Book 5)
“There’s nothing to understand. A killer is a killer, a creature of incredible appetite.” 0 likes
“front of a stand of trees, peering up through the branches at a dark blue sky. Night. His favorite time of day. That’s when he last saw his precious brother, Morgan, all those years ago. Calm blue eyes flickering as he lay on his back in a bed of leaves. “I’m immortal.” Those were his last words. Sometimes the man would hear things like the rune poems they used to sing, sometimes he liked to run naked through the trees feeling the leaves and branches slapping against his thighs, delighting in the pain. Delighting in the scars. Delighting in the memory of his mother’s clear angelic voice singing the tributes to Odin. Sometimes” 0 likes