Start by marking “Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles” as Want to Read:
Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles

Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles

(Hanna-Barbera Beyond)

Heavens to Murgatroyd! Hanna-Barbera’s very own Snagglepuss is reimagined in a brand-new series, EXIT STAGE LEFT: THE SNAGGLEPUSS CHRONICLES, by author Mark Russell (THE FLINTSTONES)!

It’s 1953. While the United States is locked in a nuclear arms race with the Soviet Union, the gay Southern playwright known as Snagglepuss is the toast of Broadway. But success has made him a
Published August 28th 2018 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Exit Stage Left, please sign up.
Evan My good man this was answered in the book: Snagglepuss was always gay, in the cartoon "Spring Hits a Snag" he was merely playing a straight version of…moreMy good man this was answered in the book: Snagglepuss was always gay, in the cartoon "Spring Hits a Snag" he was merely playing a straight version of himself as to not shock and appall the bigoted audiences of the early 1960's. (less)

Start your review of Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles
Artemy
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mark Russell, DC's secret best writer (after not-at-all-secret best Tom King, of course) is back with the vengeance. In Exit Stage Left, he tells a story of America of the 50's, a scary time of McCarthyism, the Cold War and the persecution and blacklisting of innocent people under false pretences. We follow Snagglepuss, a secretly gay playwright from the South, as well as his friends and colleagues, all trying to survive and not lose themselves in the world that has seemingly no place for their ...more
Chad
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2018, 2018
While the rest of DC is writing about people fighting crime in their underwear, Mark Russell is over in his own corner reinventing our childhood cartoons as sociopolitical diatribes. Snagglepuss is our way into some real life drama, now a gay playwright based in 1950's NYC and loosely based on Tennessee Williams. McCarthyism is in full swing and those in entertainment circles are afraid of being outed and blacklisted by the House Un-American Activities Committee. This was a truly dark time for A ...more
Calista
The old Hanna-Barbera cartoons are making some excellent graphic novels. This is the 2nd one I have read and I loved this. It struck a chord with me.

Snagglepuss is a character I loved as a child. He had that strong accent and I never thought of it till now, but he was very refined, prissy and pink. I still go around the house and murmur 'heavens to Megatroid'. It's one of the reasons I chose this story to start with. It seemed like a great character.

There were a lot of characters in those carto
Dan Schwent
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-comics, 2020
With the Communists threatening to overrun America using the entertainment industry, the House Un-American Activities Committee calls Snagglepuss to testify. Snagglepuss, a gay playwright, has other ideas...

Mark Russell first caught my attention on The Wonder Twins and made me a lifelong fan after his run on The Flintstones. Does Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles meet this high standard? Yes. Yes, it does.

Set during the height of the communist Red Scare, Snagglepuss is a closeted playw
Diane Hernandez
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles is a clever reinvention of an iconic 1960s cartoon character.

Snagglepuss was originally a pink swishy wannabe actor and actual mountain lion in the Yogi the Bear cartoons beginning in 1959. This comic, set in 1953, casts Snagglepuss as a successful playwright caught up in the McCarthy Congressional hearings looking for communist sympathizers within the show business community.

I wasn’t expecting such a serious comic based on such a silly character from
Chris
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
Prez. The Flintstones. Snagglepuss. Mark Russell does his thing and he does it well, somehow managing to work with artists who always compliment his stories. I'm looking forward to reading whatever he works on next.
MK
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was utterly brilliant. Snagglepuss as Tennessee Williams, fighting the red scare. The theatre person in me loved all the commentary on theatre vs film vs TV. I just can't say enough about the writing. The art matches, the palate fitting perfectly. A must read, especially for those who remember the Snagglepuss cartoons.
Fox
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yet another from the Best Comics of 2018 list, only this one is by Mark Russell of the Flintstones fame. Having loved those two remarkable comics, I couldn't rightly ignore his take on Snagglepuss. I loved Snagglepuss growing up, and having him set during the McCarthy era... this was something not to be missed and something that from the outset I was pretty much guaranteed to love.

Exit Stage Left centers around the question of whether or not culture should be controlled. Subversives and devia
Erin
Hmm...I am really torn on what to rate this. This is probably more like a 4.5, but I couldn't go all the way to 5 stars. Since I read mostly TP, I have been waiting and anticipating this release for MONTHS - I absolutely loved Russell's Flintstone series and Snagglepuss sounded even better. While the Flintstones was a heavy-hitting read (a sentence I never thought I'd write), there were some moments of levity or fun easter eggs in the backgrounds to lighten the mood a bit. With Exit Stage Left, ...more
Diz
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm a fan of Russell's other works, particularly Prez and The Flintstones. Those works feature biting and funny social commentary that hit at the problems that we face in society today. However, this book doesn't quite succeed where those do. The book is set in a 1950s America, and the social issues it tackles are McCarthyism and the challenges of being a member of the LGBT community in that decade. It's pretty sad and dark, and it doesn't have any of the humor that Russell's previous works have ...more
Tiago
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
The style of this book felt like an hybrid of Bojack Horseman and Maus, a very mature semi-biographical drama featuring Hanna-Barbera characters instead of humans, set against the backdrop of the homosexual witch-hunt of the 50s. Apart from the main plot, I really liked the bits about acting and the behind-the-scenes moments of theatre.
Melissa
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how I feel about this collection. I liked it, but it was so bizarre. Having the cartoon character Snagglepuss be a stand in for Tennessee Williams is just such an odd idea. It works, in a weird way and there are some really great moments.
Marta
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have never heard of Snagglepuss or Huckleberry Hound before going into this graphic novel, and that is a good thing, because this is no cuddle-cute-funny affair.We find Snugglepuss as a successful writer in the vein of Tenessee Williams (i.e. lots of suffering, despair and limited opportunities) in 1953, at the height of the Committee of Un-American Activities. Fear reigns in show business, as many are hauled in and if they do not cooperate, get blacklisted.

Snagglepuss weathers the first heari
Doug
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5, rounded up.

"There are two things in life you can never know for sure - the truth in flattery and the sex of a snake." Snagglepuss

Not quite sure WTF I just read ... but it certainly was different ... and outrageously creative. To mash together the HUAC hearings, the Stonewall riots, the Monroe-Miller-DiMaggio scandal, the Algonquin Round Table, the Rosenberg executions, the Nixon-Khrushchev 'kitchen debate' and so much more ... and ALSO throw in some beloved Hanna-Barbera characters, can onl
Rod Brown
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I just really don't get these Hanna Barbera character revamps, and apparently neither does Hanna Barbera according to this rumor site. This one was slightly better than the same author's The Flintstones, Vol. 1 in that it wasn't totally unreadable.

It makes a kind of sense to take Snagglepuss, a queer coded character from the 1950s, and turn him into a closeted gay playwright. Turning him into a target for the House Un-American Activities Committee though is simply dreary, and Huckleberry Hound's
Kayla (onthefritz)
Woah... I'm just blown away at this adaptation of Snagglepuss

We see Snagglepuss and other Hanna Barbera characters living in NYC in the 1950s. This run takes on the Red Scare, the gay rights movement, and art as it was in the '50s, with many political and cultural icons of that scene. Many easter eggs did go over my head, but there is a briefing in the back of the comic that details the different figures and events talked about. The direction this comic went was hard hitting, and wraps up in a s
Sean Kennedy
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Snagglepuss has always been a queer icon, so it makes sense to 'revamp' the character into an alternate universe of our own where he is a Tennessee Williams-esque playwright who finds his private life under the spotlight when he is targeted by the House of UnAmerican Activities Committee. What we have here is a stunningly rewritten queer history, and I only wish we were getting more volumes.
Meghan
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a dark look into a dark time period for creative types. it is beautifully done- I cried so much over issue 5 and 6.

Closet sexuality, communism, and a look into depression that I never expected. I will be buying this trade in a few months to read it again.
The Library Ladies
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

A special thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this book!

Though I feel like I watched a good amount of Hanna-Barbera cartoons as a child, one character that I don’t have specific memories of is Snagglepuss. I remember him existing, and I remember a few of his quirks (like his catch phrase ‘exit, stage left!!’ and his smooth personality), but I don’t think I ever saw a full cartoon with him as the star. But even with my passing fami
Morgan
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DOROTHY PARKER IS IN A COMIC BOOK! Kind of fangirling here for a moment, but I love the fact Parker and the Algonquin Round Table are in this book. Only for a brief cameo, but they kid of set the stage for what this comic book is about.

If you liked the Flintstones comic book, you'll probably like this just a much. Mark Russell is good with satire and cartoons. Exit Stage Left is a satire on the early 50s during the Red Scare. Of course, it has cartoon characters like Snagglepuss, Huckleberry Hou
Adam Stone
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After not enjoying DC and Mark Russell's The Flintstones, Vol. 1, I completely passed on this title in issue form, even though I thought the premise: Snagglepuss as a southern playwright during the age of McCarthyism, was an entertaining angle.

That was a mistake.

This book is pretty much a Cliff-notes fictionalization of Stonewall, McCarthyism and The Red Scare, Nixon, the Cuban Revolution, the origin of Hanna-Barbera cartoons, and the parallels between life and theater all wrapped into one pink,
John Ferrigno
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exit Stage Left: the Snagglepuss Chronicles, is a series that takes a very serious look at a ridiculous character. In this story, Snagglepuss is reimagined as a gay Southern playwrite who takes Broadway by storm in the 1950s, only to be target by the House Un-American Activities Committee.

A dark look at a shameful time in our natiins' history, Exit Stage Left deals with this story with depth, subtlety, beauty and at times, heartbreaking looks at human nature.

Serving as a prequel of sorts to the
Michelle Morrell
What is this? A poignant, stirring, wise, touching, relevant story ... about Snagglepuss?

I was not expecting this level of story telling, for sure. In this we have Snagglepuss recast as a 1950s closeted film star, under investigation by the McCarthy inquisitions. But in framing this particular moment in time, we have a perfect allegory to the mess of today. I utterly loved it.

If Snagglepuss can evolve, surely so can we?

Thanks to Hoopla for letting me read this on a whim, 30 seconds after I knew
Simon
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, humanistic story with lots of satire and a generous heap of touching lines, the Snaglepuss Chronicles are a prime example of the theory that DC Comics still has the potential to make good stuff, even if it's done as part of yet another multi-universe deal taking advantage of old cartoons. Great art, good writing, a bittersweet journey, what more could you ask for?
Gonzalo Urrutia
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-dc-comics
This blew my mind. I knew from the start it was a smart, daring book, but I wasn't expecting it to get me so emotionally involved in the lives of these characters I knew nothing about.
Peacegal
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heavens to Murgatroyd! Hanna-Barbera has permitted artists to reimagine its intellectual properties in ways that I don't think Warner Bros. or Disney ever would, and comics fans are all the better for it. In this gorgeous graphic novel, Snagglepuss the mountain lion is pitch-perfect as a closeted gay Southern playwright (because he totally would be--think about it), thrust into the Red Scare of 1950s America. It's a paranoid, frightening time, of blacklists and friends turning on friends.

Other
Philip
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heavens to Murgatroyd, Mark Russell is at it again. Fresh off his successful reboot of The Flintstones, the master of making Hanna Barbera cartoons hip, fresh, complicated, and a mirror of our current society, Russell tackles the Trump era by looking back at the 1960's through McCarthyism and the burgeoning American gay rights movement. Genius. This graphic novel is a must-read for anyone interested in classic cartoon reboots, politics, culture wars, sophisticated writing, McCarthyism, and LGBT ...more
Norman Cook
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a serious examination of the dark times of the 1950s using silly cartoon characters. Somehow, it works beautifully. It is a gut wrenching look at how people's lives were ruined by fear and paranoia. I'm sure a lot of readers will be unfamiliar with this period of time, but it's well to revisit it, because in many ways we are reliving it today, with fear and paranoia feeding the current political frenzy. As a bonus, we get the backstory of how Snagglepuss, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw Mc ...more
Mitchell Kukulka
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The clown is a joke to everyone except the clown."

I always try to start off these reviews with a quote from the book. Sometimes it's something meaningful that I picked out because I think it does the best job of whittling down the book's themes to succinct passage. Sometimes it's a particularly funny line that I feel needs to be shared with potential readers.

With this one, I found at least five quotes in the first issue alone that stuck with me either because of their excellent prose or eff
Drown Hollum
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drama
It's a serious accomplishment, what Russel has managed with his HB properties. Flintstones was an incredible examination of humanity as a whole, while Snagglepuss hones in on 1950's McCarthyism and the Committee of Un-American Activities. Exit Stage Left is a breathtaking character study and heartbreaking human drama, rooted in the subversion of 1940s theater. This book is loaded with moving moments, clever (and excruciatingly well researched) nods to American history, and careful throw-backs wh ...more

• The Jetsons
  • Mister Miracle
  • Second Coming: Volume One
  • Dastardly & Muttley
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 3: Hulk In Hell
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 2: Original Sins
  • The Quantum Age
  • Batman: Universe
  • Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles
Mark Russell is the author of God Is Disappointed in You and Apocrypha Now. He also writes the comic book series Prez and The Flintstones for DC Comics. He lives and works in Portland, Oregon.

Hanna-Barbera Beyond (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Flintstones, Vol. 1