Start by marking “The One Apart” as Want to Read:
The One Apart

The One Apart

Only one obstacle stands in his way of enjoying a normal life. He remembers—every life he's lived before.

Tres is about to be born... with the biggest burden any has ever had to bear. He is beginning again—as an ageless adult trapped in an infant body.

He and his teenage mother face life filled with extraordinary challenges as they strive to protect, nurture, and hide how
Published January 24th 2018 by Suteki Creative

To ask other readers questions about The One Apart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One Apart

TL
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this via Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for my honest review. All my opinions are my own.
----

Started off really good, I was intrigued by what was happening with Tres/Aaron and why he was the way he was. I loved the bond between him and Maria and Sancha, you could really feel the love in that family.

The part with the "Other World" was interesting at first but after awhile, I lost interest in it. It was a nice concept but *shrugs* I guess I expecting... more?

I'm fascinated by the conc
Quintin Zimmermann
The initial premise of the book is an interesting one, but it has been done many times before -  I just recently read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August.

Nevertheless, Justine Avery has taken this premise and expanded it into the examination and philosophising of existentialism, spiritualism and reincarnation. Blending these disparate conceptual doctrines into a unique world that is The One Apart.

The extremely short chapters and the frenetic jumping between scenes within the chapters thems
Gina
This is a very unusual story that will draw you in immediately.

What is it like to be aware that you are about to be born - yet again. Tres faces that when he realizes he is about to emerge again as a helpless infant, starting over and having to go through it all one more time. To say he's not happy about that prospect is putting it mildly. Tres remembers every previous life he's ever lived.

Born to an unwed teenage girl who decides she will not keep him, nor does she want to even see "it" when "i
Steff Pasciuti
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018
"I like your voice," she said. "Your real one."

There's something about Justine Avery's The One Apart that sort of throws you off kilter. I don't even think I can fully describe it. The feeling is sort of in the middle, as though you could go one way or the other with it and you've no idea which really fits. Avery tells the tale of a soul called Tres who is suddenly born to a teenage mother, living a new life while still remembering each of his previous ones. The book chronicles his life and the
Summer
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of existential, paranormal, and fantasy fiction.
Recommended to Summer by: Reading Addiction Virtual Book Tours
Shelves: reviewed
This powerful and riveting story introduces us to Tres, who is about to be born with the biggest burden any has ever had to bear. He is beginning again — as an ageless adult trapped in an infant body. As Tres learns to navigate through this newest life with a teenage mother and adoring grandmother, he struggles with coming to terms with his past lives while seeking his true purpose — not only in this life, but in all.

In his quest, Tres discovers that all is considerably more interconnected and d
Victoria
My initial impressions of this book were really positive and I thoroughly enjoyed the first third of it, wondering where it was going to go and fully signed up to the journey. An older being, with many previous lives, born again into a human baby but remembering everything from their past - what's not to love about that concept! This idea worked really well whilst the protagonist was very young and I enjoyed his journey, inner dialogue and relationship with his 'mum' and 'grandmother'.

However on
Aisling
This is, with the exception of some textbooks, the only book I have consciously skimmed sections in order to finish. Normally if a book loses my interest, it's done. But this one had such a dichotomy between the good writing and the bad.... The majority (just) of the book is about a 'special' kid named Aaron--whenever the author is here it is good writing and good storytelling. The other section is a realm of otherworldly-um-'ness' that is cool and ultimately interesting but good lord in the mid ...more
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Whoa! This was one strange book! I always say I like books that are different and quirky, but this... Hmm well lets just say I certainly have not read another story like it.

I started out really liking it, then went to just kind of linking it, then it started to turn me off. But only because it was just too weird. It stopped making sense to me (as if it made sense in the first place LOL). It got to be too much, even for me and that's saying a lot.

There was very good character development. I loved
Lindberg
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the finest book l have read in years. Justin is an author who reached into my soul, leaving it forever changed. I spend hours in my room starring at the ceiling asking myself "Who am I, Why am I here?" Justin in this excellent story of Tres finding himself is a challenge to all seekers of truth and self introspection to perhaps find another path for our never-ending search!. Thank You Justin. I hope all who see this review will choose to give this excellent author a place in their librar ...more
Janelle
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. The first half of the book was AMAZING! I loved every minute I was reading the book. Then the "other world" business began and I put thrown off course. It was confusing and weird and I didn't like it at all, but I continued reading because I was invested in the main characters and wanted to stick with them until the end of the book. I am glad I did because I fully appreciate that "other world" aspect now. I am not giving it 5 stars because, although I app ...more
Taiwo | A Lifestyle Nerd
This book is A-MA-ZING!! In my WWW Wednesday post earlier, I mentioned that this book is for fans of The Age of Adaline and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and I stand by that. If you loved any of the movies or books, you can’t miss this. Even if you haven’t watched or read any, you should still read this book.

The beginning chapter draws the reader in with an ending line,

“Tres remembered everything“

And then, as you read on, you’re introduced to the two women that play a very vital role in Tr
Faith Rivens
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2017
3.5/5

A profoundly complex novel, it tells the story of Tres, a character who is reborn as a boy named Aaron, and his ability to remember lives lived before. It is unlike any book you'll ever read as it delves into contemplation of shared human consciousness and questions of the afterlife. Unfortunately, it suffers from being overlong and at times too dense in its own mythology. However, its strong beginning and strong end are worth discovering. Overall, it is an intriguing and thought-provoking
Danni
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I am a fan of Justine Avery so I was looking forward to reading this. I very much enjoyed the story and seeing the evolution of Tres/Aaron through not only his learning in the Apart, but with his terrestrial family and friends. I am a sucker for friendship stories, so I especially loved reading about Aaron's friendship with Bennett and the evolution of his relationship with Finlay. Definitely recommend, whether one has read Justine Avery already or not.

(I received an ARC in exchange for honest r
Rochelle Willingham
This book took a long time for me. It was confusing to me at the beginning on who everyone was but when I understood the dynamic between Maria, Sancha, and Tres/Aaron, I really enjoyed reading the different take between the 3. Although, I wasn’t on the edge of my seat to finish this book. It took me over a month. I felt like it was long and drug out. Not a great finish.
I received an arc but this did not impact my review.
Trisha Mai
The intriguing premise drew me in but I felt that much of the middle could have been tightened up—it was slow and dragging without much happening. Also, I found a lot of the “aselves” scenes too tedious. Still, it was a thought-provoking read with interesting characters.
Kristen Brady
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“The One Apart” by Justine Avery is a well written piece of science fantasy.

Sancha is a pregnant teenage girl who, apparently, is in no mood for motherhood. She had planned to give her baby up for adoption; however, later develops a strong bond and changes her mind.

Aaron/Tres is her new baby. The novel begins with Aaron/Tres, as an ageless adult who is in a newborn body, who remembers his past.

Aaron finds a new family in Sancha and Maria as he is brought into this world, yet again, bringing wit
Cliff Dalton
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Story about a Soul

Wonderful imaginative writing technique and style give the reader a good sense of what the author is trying to convey about an existential, Zen-like beyond. The tale begins as a consciousness is reformed in womb and goes on to learn, grow, experience and develop in both this world and beyond.
Justine Avery uses a writing style and vocabulary to impart a sense of ethereal existence when the main character is in his spiritual state. The "aself" exists in the "Apart" while the "
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon

**** 3.5 Cranky Stars ****

Innocence. That is something everyone ever born in this world share. Or everyone except Tres.

I’m not entirely sure how to review this one. First off, it’s very loooong. 570 pages according to amazon. This story is about somebody who retained all his knowledge and wisdom from previous lives every time he was born again, and again, and again.

You’ll follow Tres from infancy to adulthood and share his unique experience every step of the way asking yourself if he’s a good g
Denial
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tale of what existence can mean

I'll start by saying that the whole concept was extremely interesting. I LOVE books that make you think. Books that require or inspire deeper thoughts are always something I look for. Books or movies that take you on an emotional journey are also something I generally like.

As a matter of fact, this novel reminds me of the movie K-pax in a way, but it goes well beyond that and takes you on a longer and often heart-wrenching journey of Tres and his “life”. As such,
Peachykeen
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creative and Unique

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it a unique read. I’ve read a few of Justine Avery’s short stories before and this was by far my favorite. I felt that the characters were well developed and enjoyed following their progression through the story. I particularly enjoyed the character development of the main character of Aaron/Tres. While I obviously could not relate to what his character was going through, I could sympathize with the struggles he faced. I found them to b
Samara Vega
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read several of Avery's shorter pieces, and so I've come to expect "the twist" at the end. There's always some intrigue, but she likes to genre hop a bit (this is a good thing), so I was very curious as to whether this would be in her suspense spectrum or lean more towards her "chick flick" side (I prefer the suspense).

I was NOT expecting this. Not in the least. Deeply introspective at times, with a few legitimate plot twists that occasionally surprised me (I can usually see one coming a mi
Jessica
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excitement Satisfied

A lot of the stories I have read by Avery have been short works. I've grown extremely fond of each piece and the affinity I realise is similar to that I have for Ray Bradbury. More famous for his larger novels, but I always loved his short stories as well.

When I came across The One Apart and realized that it wasn't just a short story or even a series of short stories, but a full novel I was elated!

Knowing her style I was fully expecting to be whirled up and away into the plot
Arybo ✨
I enjoyed the first part. A LOT. I loved every single scene with Aaron and Sancha or Aaron and Maria. It was so well written and I felt the love inside their house. I was so sad, at a certain time. Then, there were these strange things about overseeing and I struggled with words and concepts. I couldn't understand a lot of things and I'm sorry about that. They didn't interest me, I think. But I love the last 15% of the book. I was happy about Aaron and Emily and I was happy reading about their s ...more
Toni Babuchiwski
I have read several of Justine Avery’s short novellas. For the most part, I have enjoyed her writing style, plots and twists. Needless to say, I was excited to read Avery’s latest piece and happy to hear it would be a bit longer than her novellas.

The One Apart is an interesting tale that intertwines philosophy, the human condition, and the bittersweet moments that make life both beautiful and sad. I loved Avery’s portrayal of her characters in this and enjoyed her more enriched buildup of each o
Jill Elizabeth
I don't know about this one... There were some exceedingly strong elements - I really LOVED the main story about Sancha, Maria, and of course Tres/Aaron. I flew through those portions of the book. The concept was intriguing, the characters were great - the whole thing worked beautifully. Then there were the portions in the Apart, with Saig and Fei - those did not work so well for me... They felt very repetitive and I skimmed large swathes of that text. It just felt like they kept telling Aaron/T ...more
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

In The One Apart, Tres is about to be born again.He’s an adult trapped in an infant body, and remembers every life he’s lived before. Think kind of like The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The premise is different but also somewhat similar as in the protagonist is unique and has an unique perspective on time and life itself.

In this new life, Tres – now named Aaron – has a very special bond with his mother, Sancha, wh
Cindy
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story begins with Sancha, a teenage girl pregnant. She expresses not wanting the baby and giving it up once she gives birth. The baby inside her womb feeling emotions from the very beginning. The author does a great job being descriptive in how each express themselves.

Once Sancha has the baby, she does not want to see it.  Her mom Maria begs her. Once Sancha set eyes on her son, they were inseparable. Maria starts to notice something strange about the child and their connection. How does he
Angel Pink
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Hit!

I am a fan of all of JA’s work. For some reason, this book was a lot more my speed than some of her other work. I am so happy to see her progress as she becomes an exceptional writer. I will be the first to admit, I wasn’t sure what to expect seeing as how I’ve only read all of her short stories as a opposed to a novel a bit longer than most of her work.

Now the book does seem to drag the story line a bit but not too much where you feel as though it was a waste of a book. In my opin
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first three main characters Aaron, Sancha and Maria were very likable. I really enjoyed reading the first of the book about the family dynamics of a child that was “different”. Once more characters were introduced from the Apart I felt like the book slowly started to loose its appeal. There was strange dialog at times when Tres, Ciel, Fei and Saig were involved that seemed to carry on longer than what was needed. Due to the shift in dialog and the writing style with only these characters it ...more
C. Gonzales
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
These characters are complex and each have a variety of things going on in the present as well as some skeletons in their closets.

Dive into a world that I can guarantee is not a cookie cutter version of the genre.

I enjoyed Tres as a main character. He was flawed and had his issues, but I think that it made him endearing.

I personally liked the fact that this novel is not predictable. You get a lot of clues throughout the novel about where the story is going, what secrets are being hidden, etc.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Books, Blogs, Aut...: SF/Fantasy Ebook & GC 1 2 Nov 25, 2017 08:46AM
Readers That Love...: SF/Fantasy Ebook & GC 1 1 Nov 25, 2017 08:27AM
Free Books, .99, ...: Ebook & GC SF/Fantasy Book 1 4 Nov 25, 2017 08:10AM
Free Book Giveaway: Ebook & GC - SF, Fantasy, Paranormal 1 2 Nov 25, 2017 07:50AM
Book Giveaways: Ebook & GC - SF, Fantasy, Paranormal 1 3 Nov 25, 2017 07:35AM

• Kristin's Ghost (X + Y Files Case #2)
  • The Color of Clouds
  • The Black Lotus (Night Flower, #1)
  • Twisted Stars
  • The Journals of Bob Drifter
  • The Girl Who Saw Lions
  • Spelled (Sayers Witch Series, #1)
  • We All Fall Down
  • Deliverance
  • Eye of The Storm: Eilida's Tragedy
  • Winter Wolf (Witch & Wolf, #1)
  • The Sunken
  • Watermelon Snow: A Cli-Fi Novel
  • Tiger, Tiger
  • Thoreau at Devil's Perch (Henry David Thoreau Mystery #1)
  • The Hunters
  • Ghosts of Birch Lake
  • Those Who Are Left
Justine Avery is an award-winning author of stories large and small for all. Born in the American Midwest and raised all over the world, she is inherently an explorer, duly fascinated by everything around her and excitedly noting the stories that abound all around. As an avid reader of all genres, she weaves her own stories among them all. She has a predilection for writing speculative fiction and ...more
“There is no ‘time,’ only the infinite now.” 2 likes
“Grant us, Lord, Thy protection. And in protection, strength. And in strength, understanding. And in understanding, knowledge. And in knowledge, the avoidance of judgment. And in the avoidance of judgment, the cleansing of true acceptance. And in true acceptance, the serenity of peace. And in the serenity of peace, the love of all existences. And in that love, the love of spirit and all creation.” 0 likes