Start by marking “A Study In Shifters (The Adventures of Marisol Holmes, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Study In Shifters (The Adventures of Marisol Holmes, #1)

A Study In Shifters

(The Adventures of Marisol Holmes #1)

Published June 26th 2018 by Monster House Books

To ask other readers questions about A Study In Shifters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Study In Shifters

Amanda
You can also find my review here:https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

I picked this book up for two major reasons, number one being shifters, it's been a long time since I've read a good shifter book, number two being Sherlock Holmes. Every mystery lover must admire Sherlock Holmes. Jackaby was a novel that I felt like combined Sherlock Holmes and the fantasy world, so I hoped that this might be like that. But unfortunately this book was not like that at all.

The title A Study in Shifters make
Christina Bauer
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A kick-ass heroine who's both a jaguar shifter AND a descendant of Sherlock Holmes? What's not to love!?! Plus, the story is packed with intrigue, action, mystery and a touch of romance. Bottom line--fans of Mercy Falls will love A STUDY IN SHIFTERS!
Shelley
*Source* NetGalley
*Genre* Young Adult / Paranormal
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

A Study in Shifters is the first installment in author Majanka Verstraete's The Adventures of Marisol Holmes series. Meet 17-year old Marisol Holmes, the great, great, great granddaughter of the infamous Sherlock Holmes. But, let's stop there or a minute. By the obviousness of its title, this book is about paranormals. Paras who are mostly shifters like jaguar, snake, wolf, bear, etc. And, while Marisol is being portrayed as
Paula  Phillips
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have always been a fan of Sherlock Holmes and tales of YA mysteries. I love teen detective books. I loved the twist of this book where we discovered that not only was Marisol related to the great Sherlock Holmes, but she is also part jaguar and is a shapeshifter. Marisol is a half-blood and heir to the shifter throne as her mother is Duchess and the Jaguars rule the shapeshifter kingdom. After a recent mission went completely wrong and Marisol not only felt betrayed by someone she thought she ...more
Hélène Louise
(I thank Netgalley and Monster House Books LLC for sending me the ARC in exchange for my honest review)

I was quite excited to read this book: shifters, murders’ investigations, Sherlock Holmes’ legacy, a YA read, all these themes are just what I like. But alas if I appreciated the story, the narrative’s choices and flaws annoyed me so much that I decided to stop at the third of the book. As a matter of principle I always try to read a book so far before giving it up, but I don’t force me to fini
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Cranky Stars

Marisol Holmes, yes she’s related to Sherlock Holmes is a shifter, and a teen sleuth to boot. She made a horrible mistake and the Conclave lost all trust in her. In order to gain it back, she has to work super hard to solve a murder at a school.

Marisol is a strong
Christina  Torretta
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Flew through this book!

Full review coming soon to ruffdayreviews.com.

Thank you to Xpresso Reads and the author for allowing me to review this book in exchange for an honest review!
Eve (Functioning Insanity Reviews)

I was provided a digital ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review thanks to NetGalley and Monster House Books.

Rating: 4 Stars

Marisol Holmes, descendant of Sherlock Holmes, and half jaguar shifter and next in line to the shifter throne, is trying to repair the damage done from a mistake she made. After she trusted the wrong guy in the worst way Marisol is able to convince the Conclave, the underground organization of detectives solving supernatu
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

I was excited to see a book with a character who is a descendant of Sherlock Holmes and also a jaguar shifter. Unfortunately, A STUDY IN SHIFTERS didn't quite work in it's execution of the story. I enjoyed the mystery aspect with a magical flair and a protagonist showing various beloved traits of Sherlock Holmes (no drug addiction though!). We got that to an extent.

There were many superfluous repetitions and odd side conversations that really sapped my
Elena Love
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own!*

I'm a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes and was basically ecstatic when I discovered A Study In Shifters! It gave such an amazing and original spin to the classic because it incorporated the Paranormal element of shifters, something that made it even more unique and different from other novels based off of the greatest detective in the world of Literature, which usually have a Historical Setting!

Our
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Goodreads Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Marisol Holmes may be the great-great-great granddaughter of Sherlock Holmes, but it’s hard to live up to the family name when only one mistake can spell your downfall. After trusting the wrong guy in a case gone totally wrong, Marisol convinces the Conclave, an underground organization of detectives solving supernatural cases, to give her a last chance to prove her worth, and maybe even heal her broken heart.

After all, as a half-blood jaguar shifter, Mariso
Viktória Tóth
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.
This was unfortunately just an okay read for me. Don’t get me wrong there were a lot of things I loved about the story but the few things that bothered me just left a considerably bigger impact.
First the things I enjoyed. I really liked the whole idea of the protagonist being the descendant of Sherlock Holmes and being a spectacular investigator herself a well, that fact that all this was combined with her being a half-shifter as we
Nadine
Just one word WOW!!!

That is not my first book from Majanka, not too long ago I read and reviewed Ghost Slayer. If you read that review you know that I quite enjoyed it. It is not every day that I read ghost stories.

This means that going into A Study in Shifters, I already had some expectations… Not a lot mind, I try to give each book a fair shot and not add extra pressure to them.

Tell you what though, I was impressed!

If you are one of my regular followers, then you know that I love it when books
Hacedores
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Esto de pedir cosas a Netgalley por si suena la flauta tiene consecuencias inesperadas. Hacía mucho que no leía nada que tuviera como protagonista a Holmes ni a nadie de su familia (aunque recuerdo que no hace mucho salió un cómic que pasó sin pena ni gloria) pero al ver que lo mezclaba con cambiaformas, todo podía salir o muy bien o ser algo horrendo digno de echarse unas risas. Por suerte para mí, salió bien, de tal forma que nos encontramos con una novela claramente enfocada al público YA al ...more
Johanna Sawyer
Thanks to the publisher for an arc to read and give my honest opinion.

Marisol Holmes, descendant from the great Sherlock Holmes and also a jaguar shifter. After being outed from the Conclave for royally screwing up her last mission to the point of people getting hurt, she warrants another chance. This time Marisol heads to the exclusive Waynard Academy in England to investigate a murder of one of the students there.

This was an amazing read! I absolutely loved it since I am a huge Sherlock fan.
Rebecca Veight
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Marisol is Sherlock Holmes' great great great granddaughter and also a half blood jaguar shifter. Part of a crime-solving institution, the Conclave, she is currently in trouble with them due to the Big Betrayal.

The supernatural element makes the story quirkier but not superficial, with Marisol's caught between 2 worlds feelings, giving it even more depth. The battle of the protagonist's emotions is depicted quite well, in a way that makes you feel for her from the very beginning. I really enjoye
Beth ~~Just One More Chapter I Swear~~
~~~~2.5 - 3.0 Stars ~~~~

*** I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review ***

This book sounded so intriguing that when NetGalley got back to me and actually said yes to my request to review it I dove in straight away... rocketing it to the tippy top of my TBR pile. You can read the official synopsis to get the gist of the plot so I will spare you the filler and not regurgitate it here. What I will say is that this story was billed as a Paranormal Who Done It featuring a ki
Luxe
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley (thank you!) in exchange for an honest review.

If you know me, you know that I’m a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. So when I came across this on Netgalley, I did not hesitate to request. I knew that I would like this but I didn’t expect to have enjoyed this as much as I did.

I love the mystery with a paranormal twist. I think it’s quite unique to incorporate paranormal elements to a descendant of Holmes. The mystery element in the book is g
Charlotte
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Sixteen years old, jaguar shifter, royalty shifter at that.......oh, and great - great - great granddaughter to a very famous detective.

This is a good starter book for teens who want a little crime and mystery in their lives.....from a character that's of a similar age with similar angst.

I really like the main character, Marisol, as she's quite relatable (her being a shifter aside). She has the angst and insecurities just like anyone else.

She also has a good mind, but don't worry, you
Lucy at Rain and Cupcakes Book Blog

2-2.5 stars.

I think I liked the concept of this book, the idea of Marisol being the descendant of Sherlock Holmes with a paranormal twist was attracted to me. However, I am not sure if this book was intended for younger audiences, but the writing style didn’t quite worked out for me. The constant reminders and emphasis on certain things were annoying and repetitive, it had made the story transition awkward and seem juvenile. (view spoiler)
Jasmine
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Study in Shifters is the first book in a fun new series that puts a feminine (and paranormal) spin on Sherlock Holmes.

Marisol Holmes is a great x3 granddaughter to the infamous Sherlock, but she's also a jaguar shifter. And her mother's the head of the jaguar shifter clan. That makes her a half-blood, and not every other shifter is keen on having a half-blood in line for the throne.

Marisol has had her ups and downs, but lately it's been a lot of downs. She put her trust in the wrong guy, an
Cassandra
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Thoughts - 5 out of 5 Unicorns - I loved it!!!
***I choose what I read and review based on what intrigues me!! Yes, I got a review copy of this book, but no one tells me what to think, feel, or write about any book!

The cover is very intriguing and what caught my eye!

This is my first time reading this author’s work, and this is book 1 in a new series. This is a YA book though there are some dark moments of murder.

I found the premise of this series very awesome. Marisol is a teenage shifter, an
Paul Franco
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
As you might expect from the title, this has a Sherlock Holmes connection, in this case featuring a descendant of his who’s also a shapeshifter. . . except she can’t shapeshift anymore, after a bad mission she feels really guilty about.
She can still sniff like a jaguar, though. When we meet her she’s trying to solve a locked room puzzle, though there’s no speckled band in sight. She’s rich and lives in Paris, but is sent to investigate a murder in a fancy school in England; never would have thou
Mrs. Kenyon
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-audiobooks
Marisol Holmes is a half shifter and a descendant of Sherlock Holmes. She made the mistake of trusting the wrong person and now the Conclave wants her to prove herself before they will let her return to investigating supernatural cases. She is a very skilled detective, especially since she takes after her Holmes ancestor. Her trial case seems to involve a jaguar shifter and Marisol must not only prove her abilities, she must determine if this murder was an attempt to get her mother off the shift ...more
SouthernTodayGoneTomorrow
Jul 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Lets start with this: the opening for this novel is terrible. It follows half-panther shifter Marisol Holms who is also a decedent of the Sherlock.

The author, Majanka Verstraete, went for the super witty, cocky, royal, female lead. Who is also skinny, so she shouldn't eat hamburgers.

STOP IT. I just, there are ways to work that character. This book isn't one of them.

The writing doesn't capture me at all, to the point where I don't remember anything about this. Who dated who, facebook, just... no
Ann
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this 1st book in the new series, Adventures of Marisol Holmes. Marisol is a descendant of Sherlock Holmes and is a half shifter. Her mother is head of the Jaguar clan and part of the Conclave council. Marisol is on probation and is sent with a snake shifter to a school where people are being murdered. This is a great teen read that deals with young love and fantasy. As a shifter fantasy it's well written with many unique beings and an organization to keep them from being discovered by hu ...more
Donna
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Study In Shifters is a terrific start to a new series that I very much look forward to. Marisol Holmes is a human/jaguar shifter hybrid and she uses both halves to solve crime. Her mind is drawn to puzzles just like her ancestor Sherlock Holmes. She even has her own Moriarity in the form of a wolf shifter named Mannix. This story is a labyrinth of clues and misdirections and an overall great read.
Genevieve Eldredge
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this first installment! This book has it all--mystery, romance, high stakes, death traps, crazy reveals, and daring escapes. Marisol's a smart, savvy heroine, and the addition of shifters to the world of Sherlock Holmes gives it a fresh, unique angle. Loved the angsty romance with Marisol and Roan. Mannix is a great, complex villain--you'll love to hate him! Can't wait to see what Indra gets up to next book!

Howie TheMonster
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I shall quote the immortal Cranky the Book Curmudgeon on this one, as she summed up my sentiments exactly: Let me tell you about this book. IT IS AMAZING! I thought I had the mystery solved but I was WRONG! The storyline was easy to follow and not predictable. The plot was amazing, I really loved how everything ties together.
Katie
I was rather impressed by this adaptation of the Holmes name. The story does start off a bit slow, but the author does have a way of including the Holmes/Moriarty dynamic pretty well (of which I assume Mannix represents Moriarty) and bringing in the excitement that only a Holmes could bring when solving a case. I am tempted to pick up the next book just to see more of these characters.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Author Majanka Verstraete has written more than twenty unique works of fiction. A native of Belgium, Majanka’s novels explore the true nature of monsters: the good, the bad, and just about every species in between. Her young adult books include the acclaimed Mirrorland (YA Dark Fantasy) and Angel of Death (YA Paranormal) series of novels.

Majanka is currently developing a new YA shifter series wit

The Adventures of Marisol Holmes (2 books)
  • The Sign of the Serpent (Adventures of Marisol Holmes Book, #2)