Start by marking “Unravel the Dusk (The Blood of Stars, #2)” as Want to Read:
Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)

Unravel the Dusk

(The Blood of Stars #2)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  6,057 ratings  ·  1,295 reviews
Maia Tamarin’s journey to sew the dresses of the sun, the moon and the stars has taken a grievous toll. She returns to a kingdom on the brink of war. The boy she loves is gone, and she is forced to don the dress of the sun and assume the place of the emperor’s bride-to-be to keep the peace.

But the war raging around Maia is nothing compared to the battle within. Ever since
Published July 7th 2020 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Unravel the Dusk, please sign up.
Audrey Yes. However, I believe it would have been better if the first book was split into two books. One on the competition and then a second one on the jour…moreYes. However, I believe it would have been better if the first book was split into two books. One on the competition and then a second one on the journey with Edan. Then this book as the last. (less)
LittleBookWorm Yh. This book is the last one.
It's a duology…more
Yh. This book is the last one.
It's a duology(less)

·  6,057 ratings  ·  1,295 reviews

Start your review of Unravel the Dusk (The Blood of Stars, #2)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is good! This is better! This is soooo sooo much better than the first book! My favorite tailor after Coco Chanel is back! And she is struggling not to turn into a completely demon to run for any political carriers and keep her gold heart to protect her family and her love of her life, Edan.
So yes, at the end of the first book, Maia’s identity has been revealed, her mask already fell down. Everybody knows she is not his brother. She is she and she is talented. But what they don’t know that
✨ A ✨

So I started reading this at the wrong time. I was busy and didn't have the time to give this book the attention it deserved, so I put it on hold. When I eventually could pick it up again I found it easier to be absorbed into the writing like I did with Spin the Dawn.

I love Elizabeth Lim's descriptions and easy flow. While reading, I could clearly picture ever
jessica
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
rounding up because ELs writing weaves some of the most elegant and colourful tapestries of story i have ever read. its really the saving grace of this book - i actually got a little emotional reading some of the passages towards the end. there is just something so effortless and beautiful about ELs writing, even when the story/content is actually quite dark and depressing.

i also love that this is a duology - i will praise any story that takes advantage of strengths of a duology (good length, g
Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
#1 Spin the Dawn — 3.75 Stars
#2 Unravel the Dusk — 2 Stars

I’m all for independence and women empowerment, but much of this book was Maia going rogue, and it was FAR from fun. She was battling with herself from becoming a demon, and we just followed her around (isolated and alone) solving one problem to the next, refusing any help lest she’d hurt the people she cared about (which would be fine if she hadn’t clearly needed one), while ocassionally telling her inner demon to f*ck off.

I didn’t feel
may ➹
— see my review of book 1, Spin the Dawn

Unravel the Dusk follows Maia Tamarin after the events of Spin the Dawn. I can’t describe much of the plot lest I spoil what happens, but Maia is forced to grapple with darkness and cling to her humanity before she becomes something worse. The demons and enemies she faced in the previous book are ever-present in this book, and with epic battles and heartfelt reunions, I should have loved this book. Sadly, that was not the case.

My issue with this sequel was
Joel Rochester
i just didn't care about anyone, or anything. Lady Sarnai was perhaps the most interesting character of this duology but I felt her role was just... nothing. they could've done so much more with her character arc and the wider commentary about women in society but... nope.

i'm so disappointed ugh
Angelica
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I liked this better than book one. And I still didn't love it.

In this book, the stakes are raised, the characters (mostly Maia because Edan doesn't grow and no other character actually matters) have to find a way to keep the peace and save the land from the greed of both men and demons.

Unfortunately, I just didn't care all that much. About anything that happened.

For me to enjoy a book, I have to care about the things happening in it. In order to care about the events, I have to care about the c
C.G. Drews
You probably remember me being completely starry-eyed over Spin the Dawn by Elizabeth Lim last year I've been thoroughly counting down the day still this gorgeous sequel was in my hands. It's full of high stakes, demons, starcrossed lovers, and Maia discovering who she really is: tailor or monster or girl.

This is a tale of magic, bloodshed, and destiny.
What I really loved about book one was the magic, and I'm so glad this sequel deeply explored the magical powers of the dresses Maia completed in
nuin giliath
May 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Spin the Dawn - ★★★★★
Unravel the Dusk - ★★✬☆☆

This was not what I anticipated at all and I was left with very mixed feelings. Despite its flaws, I loved the first installment of this series and was hoping for more of the same here. Instead, Unravel the Dusk put aside many of the fun and entertaining aspects from that book in favor of slightly darker and more serious plotlines. It felt like the author wanted to tell a more mature story with higher stakes and greater tension. To her credit, this wa
Lia Carstairs
Buddy Read with Maya, Laura, and Mina.

This book broke me in so many ways🥺😭

Maia and Edan. I love those two so much, though Edan didn’t appear as much as I wanted him to, I still loved seeing the independence and strength in Maia when he wasn’t around.

And when Edan was there....
  “I’d find you anywhere, xitara”.
Xitara.
In Old A’landan, it meant little lamb. But also something else—in a language I’d never learned.
“Brightest one,” I whispered. Brightest one, in Nelrat, the language Edan had grown u
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
May 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
dangggg this cover came out ready to slap everyone with beauty
Grace
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a very fast-paced, action-packed, exciting read.
In the first book, Maia, the main character, was timid, shy, and leaned heavily on Edan, the enchanter for her success.
In this second book, she had to learn to be strong, brave, and fight all on her own. Her battles were many, fighting the demons taking over her insides, while fleeing from the emperor and his soldiers.
The odds of mortals fighting demons and ghosts and winning was close to none, but with the little good and love left in h
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
SPIN THE DAWN was one of my favourite novels from 2019, so I was really excited to get to the sequel! However, it should be noted that I did think that the first book could've been a standalone, so I wasn't wholly sure how I'd like the story going forward.

For the most part, I did really enjoy it. But I do think it lacked that certain aspect across the board which SPIN THE DAWN such a wonderful read. Looking at the reviews of my mutuals, it seems I'm not alone here.

From the get-go, I wasn't too b
Brenda Waworga
Jul 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Spin The Dawn was one of my favorite YA Fantasy book on 2019, been pretty much excited with the sequel.. it was a good conclusion but it felt pale compares to the previous book

Unravel The Dusk is so much darker and got so much action and battles, it follows Maia and her struggle to fight the demon inside herself, she grew stronger and braver.. no more a naive girl

While it went into a more fast pace direction i lost the emotional connection i used to feel with her in Spin The Dawn, i adore the ro
Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
I think a reason a lot of people (including myself) didn't enjoy this book as much as the first one is that it didn't really feel like it brought anything new for the majority of the book, the first half felt like we were getting a darker version of Spin the Dawn. With the court and the secrecy, it just left like she had another secret to keep when I thought it would turn into an adventure of some sort. Just like book one, I would have given the first half and the second half of this book differ ...more
Maddie
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

It's official: Elizabeth Lim is one of my favorite authors. This book killed me. I'm not kidding. I actually cried. ACTUAL T E A R S. For those of you who don't know me, that's an extremely rare occurrence, especially at something in a book. And yet, here I am, still sniffling as I try to gather my jumble of emotions into a coherent review that tells you how much I loved this.

This wa
Destroyer   Of Ships
WHAT A CLEVER NAMEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! unravel the dusk. I have hopes for the cover being fiery and gorgeous. Ofcourse, expectations are skyhigh after reading book 1 because holy fuck.

UPDATE 1\11\19

WE HAVE A COVER OR AT LEAST I SAW IT NOW.

MY guess was righhttttttt, it is redddd! cannot wait for this. an arc would be deadly amazingggg.
Erika ♥OwlwaysReading♥
Asked for this one on Netgalley, December 13, 2019.
Still not approved, BUT STILL NOT DECLINED 😅!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
MINE!!!

This book is MINE!

... starting July 7th 2020 😩
Mary S. R.
Someone please kindly send me the address and info of this series' bleeding cover artist...

I have a kidnapping to plan, and a precious and delicate art (also known as torture) to learn—I will make her design my entire life, you just mark my words 🙂

Companions

Book playlist: Spotify URL

Books in series:
Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1) ★★★½☆
• Unravel the Dusk (The Blood of Stars, #2) ★★★☆☆
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
3.5/5, rounded down because the VAST majority of the book I was convinced it would be lower; only the last 1/3 or so really gripped me.

Spin the Dawn was one of my favorite books of last year, so I was beyond ecstatic when I was approved for the sequel on NetGalley. Unfortunately, while this was not necessarily a bad read, it pales in comparison to its predecessor, which made me a very disappointed K-Specks. Although still beautiful, Unravel the Dusk lacked the same magic and emotional pull that
Sentranced Jem
Aug 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-2020, 3-5-stars
I really enjoyed reading Spin The Dawn but unfortunately I didn’t care for Unravel the Dusk all that much to be honest.
It’s really disappointing because just like I said in Spin the Dawn, I like the way Elizabeth Lim writes. So much so that I read Spin the Dawn more than once and recommended the book to so many of my friends, who LOVED it too but with Unravel the Dusk? I’m feeling rather indifferent.
Keertana
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first book in this duology, despite a few tried and true fantasy tropes making an appearance. But this sequel was slow, plotless, and lacked the emotion of its predecessor. Alas.
delaney
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5

THAT ENDING WAS ALL I COULD ASK FOR.

ELIZABETH LIM - Thank you for this duology. It was stunning. I loved it all. Original. On point. THANK YOU.

This was me:
Spin the Dawn: Edan is a hottie😍
Unravel the Dusk: DEMON MAIA CAN SPLIT ME APART

It picks up right from book one: Maia has been revealed to be a woman, she is the Imperial Tailor, and she is slowly becoming a demon. Adding into all of that, Emperor Khanujin is to wed Lady Sarnai and bring peace to A’landi. However, things go terribly wrong,
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
4/14/20:

Ohh, I loved Spin the Dawn so I so pumped for this one!!! The ending really sold me on the sequel. Come faster July!

Also, that cover is otherwordly.
Grace
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could cry about these characters because I love them :,)
Cindy ✩☽♔
Rating ~2.5-2.75

"If dying is this beautiful, then I wish I were a tree too. I'd be happy to die and be reborn in the spring."

It was better than the first book. But still, something was missing for me.

The Good:
Chinese Cultural Influence: I love myths and legends from other cultures, so some of my favorite parts of this book were when they spoke of the tales they had been told while growing up. I also enjoyed the world-building, even if I wasn't practically drawn to the overall storyline.

The Ba
izzy
Dec 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked this, though not quite as much as the first. Most of my thoughts on the writing, plot, characters, etc, are the same. But the device where Maia was (view spoiler) was inconsistently done (sometimes worked, sometimes didn't).

I guess my bigger issue with this book, and the latter 2/3 of its predecessor, is that there isn't much sewing and fashion going on. When a book is pitched
Leslie Baker
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bethany
Jul 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

Unravel the Dusk is a solid and action-packed ending to this magical duology with a setting inspired by ancient China. Maia may have returned from her quest victorious, but with a high cost that is slowly turning her into a demon. Her country is on the brink of war, the boy she loves is gone, and things get very complicated and very dangerous.

I think if you enjoy action-driven books and liked the first one, you will probably enjoy this. It does a good job of completing c

• You Brought Me the Ocean
  • The Evil Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #1)
  • Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know
  • Gotham High
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
  • More Than Maybe
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Jo & Laurie
  • Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed
  • Sisters of the Perilous Heart (Mortal Heritance, #1)
  • Witches of Ash and Ruin
  • Catherine House
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Layoverland
  • Today Tonight Tomorrow
  • Sick Kids in Love
  • Majesty (American Royals, #2)
  • The Starless Sea
Elizabeth Lim grew up on a hearty staple of fairy tales, myths, and songs. Her passion for storytelling began around age 10, when she started writing fanfics for Sailor Moon, Sweet Valley, and Star Wars, and posted them online to discover, "Wow, people actually read my stuff. And that's kinda cool!" But after one of her teachers told her she had "too much voice" in her essays, Elizabeth took a bre ...more

The Blood of Stars (2 books)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)

Articles featuring this book

As dedicated readers already know, some of the best and most innovative stories on the shelves come from the constantly evolving realm of young...
“I will stay by your side until the fire in the sun grows cold and the light of the moon is no more. Until time blots out the stars.” 25 likes
“I know that for every dawn, dusk must unravel its darkness.” 14 likes