Start by marking “Out of the Fog: Moving From Confusion to Clarity After Narcissistic Abuse” as Want to Read:
Out of the Fog: Moving From Confusion to Clarity After Narcissistic Abuse

Out of the Fog: Moving From Confusion to Clarity After Narcissistic Abuse

Lying. Cheating. Manipulating.

Will they ever change?

What will it take to get through to them?

They apologized, but will this time be different...or will they just get better at hiding what they are up to?

This book will help you get out of the fog of confusion and into the clarity that you are looking for.

FOG is an acronym that stands for "Fear, Obligation, and
Published November 27th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Fog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Fog

Start your review of Out of the Fog: Moving From Confusion to Clarity After Narcissistic Abuse
Noelle
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very helpful book when you're wondering what to DO with all the knowledge you've gained in the 'research' phase of recovery. Her method is to compare/contrast what happens in an abusive relationship with a healthy relationship.. for example, "Sincere communication vs. insincere communication." Like most books on the subject, she puts the toxic relationship in the context of a romantic relationship, but does also refer to parent/child dynamics at times.

I found this book to be the most
Heather Jacobsen
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Very useful information, especially if you are still in the midst of a narcissistic relationship and are still trying to understand it. I would have liked to have seen more of a section on practical steps one can take to heal after narcissistic abused.
Nyx
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must-Read for survivors and sufferers of all forms of abuse; 4.5 out of 5, rounded up.

I adore this book. "Out of the Fog" investigates thought holes--erroneous beliefs surrounding abusive circumstances and trauma--and sets a light on how society often unwittingly encourages dangerous thinking. Most sections are presented clearly in a "thought hole vs truth" structure, and all are followed by at least one experience or thought from individuals who have experienced such issues.

As a survivor of
Melanie white
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author has such knowledge about this topic she was like a fly on my wall for almost two of the worst years of my life!

The author is right on it. It's as if she was the fly on the room for a year and a half. I know I am not alone I currently have 3 best frienda going through this as well.
After 4 months he wanted me to .I've on with him. After 2 months ago agreed and Dr. Jekyll became a Mr. Hyde he was so mean with his belittling I thought where is the person I was in love with? Why now is he
Sue Cartwright
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you ever find yourself in the situation where you have been abused, think you are being abused or know someone who might be going through this particular type of trauma, this book should be your first point of call.

To begin with, it's important to know that there are many different types of abuse, and when it comes to the less obvious ones, such as emotional or financial abuse, it can be particularly hard to pin down.

The often subtle and creeping nature of being deliberately deceived by
Carrie
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
First, let me say that this book could use some additional editing and some proofreading. The missing words and some of the sentence structure make this somewhat difficult to read. However, the content and the messages are spot on. Anyone who has grown up with or been in a relationship with a narcissist or manipulative/abusive person would benefit from these balanced perspectives. The FOG (Fear, Obligation and Guilt) is real and finding your way clear of it takes time and effort and learning to ...more
Hannah
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
this book doesn't quite fit into the genre of self-help, and can actually seem a bit clinical and cold if you're someone actually trying to heal from an abusive relationship of some sort. i'd most likely recommend it to people who aren't familiar with narcissistic abuse, or narcissistic personality disorder, and who want to be—particularly those trying to support a loved one who's experienced narcissistic abuse and not really having a clue where half of the coping mechanisms come from or why on ...more
Anne Riddick
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enlightening helped me to realise some people are actors and do not care the destruction they cause to people they pretend to care about. It truly is all about them. I needed this book to help me to understand where I have been so I can be set free from all the lies and manipulation of the abuser.

I would recommend this book. It helps to explain what has happened to you so you can be better informed and empowered to have compassion for your own journey back from confusion heartache and
Attilia Long
Jun 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
A lot of information for someone new to the topic

I bought both books and am disappointed because they were full of information I already knew. When I got out of the fog I basically bypassed most of the pages to get to the part that quits describing the fog and starts talking about what to do once your abuser is gone and how to pick up the shattered pieces. But for someone that is still in the dark about narcissist abuse it’s good information
agata scibich
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great source of information and clarity

Filled with so much that you need to know if u are in abusive relationship. I love how it's designed to compare that which is so easy to confuse. For example abusive vs problemAtic, commitment vs codependent and so on .... and of course infatuation vs mineralization that got so many of us into trouble with a predator.
It's a must read if u r in or just escaped an manipulative and abusive relationship.
Jihan Hasan
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dana Morningstar is a true genius. Many “though-holes” as she describes keep us stuck in the emotional blackmail, FOG (fear, obligation, guilt). In this book, she breaks them down and corrects common misconceptions that serve to keep us stuck in an endless cycle of confusion. This book gave me lots of clarity and validation. This is a must read to all abuse survivors who are willing to thrive and think healthier thoughts. ...more
Dr Alex King
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

As someone who is a survivor of narcissistic abuse, I found that this book excellent for giving a detailed insight into narcissistic abuse and the plethora of tactics used by the abuser to keep the target under control. Abuse can be very confusing for the target and the author does a very good job of assisting the target to overcome self doubt and gain a clear understanding of what is really going on. Highly recommended.
D.C.
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this read very helpful but also very anxiety provoking. I feel most of the text is describing the dynamics of the narcissistic relationship and although I needed to hear it, I wanted more action. I wanted to know what to do to to survive it when there is little option to disconnect. Co-parenting does not provide the disconnect option as you have children to raise together.
Doris Frye
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So encouraging!

I recommend this book to those who are suffering from narcissistic abuse. I am a survivor. Although most of the time I still feel isolated in the aftermath, I feel encouraged in my path to healthy wellness. Excellent material and perfect building blocks are found in this composition.
Thank you!
Autumn Stars
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is very insightful and easy to read. Good job Dana!!
Lisa N
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you identify with the abuse described in this book or know some who would; read it.
Robyn
Jan 10, 2019
Charlotte
Oct 07, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Psychopath Free: Recovering from Emotionally Abusive Relationships With Narcissists, Sociopaths, and Other Toxic People
  • Healing from Hidden Abuse: A Journey Through the Stages of Recovery from Psychological Abuse
  • Becoming the Narcissist's Nightmare: How to Devalue and Discard the Narcissist While Supplying Yourself
  • POWER: Surviving and Thriving After Narcissistic Abuse: A Collection of Essays on Malignant Narcissism and Recovery from Emotional Abuse
  • The Covert Passive Aggressive Narcissist: Recognizing the Traits and Finding Healing After Hidden Emotional and Psychological Abuse
  • Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice
  • The Gone Dead
  • Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself
  • Character Disturbance: The Phenomenon of Our Age
  • Healing the Adult Children of Narcissists: Essays on The Invisible War Zone and Exercises for Recovery
  • Narcissistic Mothers and Covert Emotional Abuse: For Adult Children of Narcissistic Parents
  • White
  • Fallout: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival series (Dark Road Book 4)
  • Patriots (The Coming Collapse)
  • Extraction: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival series (Dark Road Book 5)
  • Escape: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival series (Dark Road Book 2)
  • Breakdown (Dark Road Book 1)
  • The Power of Zero, Revised and Updated: How to Get to the 0% Tax Bracket and Transform Your Retirement
“a narcissist will demand that you make them your everything, while they make you their nothing.” 0 likes
“When I began speaking out about what happened to me, many people didn’t want to hear it. They kept telling me to ‘get over it’ or that I should be happy he’s no longer in my life. What they don’t seem to realize is that I was abused and terrorized by this man for decades, and during all of that I lost my voice and I nearly lost my mind.” 0 likes