Start by marking “Space Boy Volume 1 (Space Boy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Space Boy Volume 1 (Space Boy, #1)

Space Boy Volume 1

(Space Boy #1)

A sci-fi drama of a high school aged girl who belongs in a different time, a boy possessed by emptiness as deep as space, an alien artifact, mysterious murder, and a love that crosses light years.

To Amy, everyone has a flavor. Her mom is the flavor of mint--sharp and bright. Her dad is like hot chocolate--sweet and full of gentle warmth.

Amy lives on a mining colony in out
Published July 3rd 2018 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Space Boy Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Space Boy Volume 1

Start your review of Space Boy Volume 1 (Space Boy, #1)
Lola
I approve. You know how sometimes you pick up the first book in a series and it’s interesting but the authors are only introducing one single element at a time in every volume so it takes a while for you to understand where the story is going and what it’s all about?

Well that is not at all the case here. If anything, the author is evil because he wants us so badly to pick up the next volume that he introduces so many elements that it’s just impossible to put it down. At the same time, it’s not
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I love this graphic novel!! It was sad and sweet and good!

Mel
Whitney Atkinson

This was so amazing!!! It's a rare compliment when I say that the writing style of a graphic novel is good--because usually it's the art that takes precedence in this format--but the writing style of this was gorgeous and the art style matched that perfectly. I can easily get lost while reading sci-fi, but this was a creative and imaginative world that touched on deep earth colonies, cryogenic freezing, and augmented reality without ever swamping the reader with too much information or
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Natalie (pagesandpanels)
Shelves: comics-n-stuff
This was SO MUCH FUN. It was like the Jetsons but more modern and ADORABLE.
Reading Tam Ishly
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
DNFing this series as well. I just cannot get into it and the artstyle is not that appealing to me.
Lauren
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jes Reads
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
PANELS BOOK CLUB BOOK!

Amy likes living in deep space. She has great friends and adoring parents. But following an accident her family is sent back to Earth and when they finally arrive 30 years have passed. Amy has a lot to catch up on, including her friendship with her best friend Jemmah.

Everyone has a flavor to Amy, but she's finding out that not everyone can be given one. And leaving everything you know behind for a completely new life proves to be harder than anyone thought.

Honestly I'm not
Mir
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
So far very little space boy, for being the titular character.
Ellen
I loved this. My only complaint is it was over too soon...and all the copies of the next volume are checked out at my library. It was a great mix of lightheartedness and depth. It was cute and sad. Highly recommended.

2019 challenge: Two books that share the same title (other one is by Orson Scott Card)
Lauryn
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
O.W.L.S MAGICAL READATHON 2019 | BOOK #7| DIVINATION (read a book set in the future)

I completely agree with what people say about this book. It’s such a fun, cute, and quirky read that anyone would enjoy for sure. The art style also reminds me a lot of the Jetsons which was just a HUGE plus for me. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this book!!!
Francina Simone
I enjoyed this one, the story is a slow build that never gets too slow or speeds up too fast. The world building, I thought was especially interesting. I’m Sirius about the second vol...I hope it expands more on Amy’s life and the big thing hinted at is more actualized in the second.

The art was phenomenal. I like the color and vibrancy and the soft and simple lines. I thought the story telling with the art was very nice!!
orangerful
3.5 stars - There is a lot being set up in this book that I am assuming will pay off in the next volume. I did like the main character and her struggle. The idea of space travel that takes 30 years and what that would do to your life...
Noninuna
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Basically, it's about a girl that frozen for 30 years so that she and her family could migrate to Earth from deep space. This volume shows mostly how she adapts to the new place, school and Earth environment as a whole. Unknown to anybody, she associate every person with a flavor. Then, she met a weird boy that intrigued her with his flavorless-ness.

I really love the world building! The author recreate our technologies to another level yet not too far from we have today. I rarely read sci-fi

Tammy
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did! It had a lot of depth for a graphic novel!

2019 Popsugar Challenge: A book with a two-word title
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clearly the young girl on the cover is not a space boy. It is an odd thing to put the main character, who is a girl, on the cover of the series that is called Space Boy, but that is a minor quip. I still picked up the book and bought it.

The story, so far, is of Amy who can sense the flavor the types of people that she meets. Everyone has a flavor, to her. But she meets a boy with white hair who has no none, so appears to be empty, and so she is curious about him.

But we end volume 1 before we
Kayla (onthefritz)
Reread: January 31 - Love so much! I'm picking up on so many little things this second time around, bumping up to 5 Stars.

***************

Wow, this was such a surprise! I picked this up for the Panels Bookclub pick from July.

This story is a mix of a teen, slice-of-life story and science fiction. It has so many layers and really depicted the feelings and emotions of moving to a new school and making new friends well. Plus the fact that she is also new to Earth and was frozen for 30 years.

I'm
Lara
This was one of the cutest, most well written, and most well thought out cartoons I have read in a long time. The writing was stellar, each character fleshed out, the dialogue witty and realistic, the world building absolutely phenomenal.

The plot was thought provoking, heart wrenching, soul searching, and more. Seriously though, this cartoon tackled issues at a depth that a lot of novels don't reach. It tackled topics like reality, experience, family, loyalty, change, with a main character that
Lisa
C.J. Milbrandt
Amy was raised on a deep space station, but when her family moves back to earth, she faces all kinds of adjustments. The first installment in a promising serial, this volume is mostly set-up. A good start. I'm interested enough to see what McCrainie has in store.
Jesús Jr.
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Video discussion can be found here!

Bonus video: Characters and Flavors!

Space Boy Volume 1 is a breath taking introduction to the futuristic world that Amy, the main character, lives in. The loneliness that radiates from Amy spills from the pages and wraps you into her world. That loneliness is something a lot of people, no matter the age, can relate to when moving and trying to adjust to a new setting. On top of that, Amy associates a taste to the people she meets and those in her life. This
N (they/them)
*Heavy sigh* I wanted to like this. I really really did. Unfortunately, I found hard it hard to get past the fact that every single female character in this reads like she's been written by a male author. Which she has. And he's not doing a very good job of it. Listen, the overall premise of the comic is really intriguing and I really really wanted to enjoy this, but the character gets back to Earth and it feels like she's literally gone back in time. Just,,, the way girls interact in this is so ...more
Macklin R
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the art in this! The world building felt well-integrated, and I appreciate how grounded the future technologies are grounded in what is actually possible by today's standards. Great characters, and I really felt for Amy and her family as they started a new life on earth. I can't wait to read the rest of these.
Maemi Estay
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hi! If you can not wait to know how this beautiful story continues. Go read the webcomic here https://www.webtoons.com/en/drama/spa...

This story is beautiful and moving, I just love it.
Erin Kelly
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good dose of mystery and intrigue. Fun world-building. Great art + writing. Wonderful pacing. Bravo!
Flynn S
I LOVE this series and am so excited for the 3rd book to come out. Stephen McCrane wrote and Illustrated this amazing graphic novel. It was so mysterious. But I feel like this series would be better as one book because it is so hard to wait for the next one to come out.
Isabelle (the Book Dutchesses)
I wasn't completely sure what to expect from Space Boy but I had heard some great things. It took me awhile to get into this story, it's pretty slow paced. I don't mind a slow-paced story at all, it also ensures you learn more about the world and the characters. This feels very much like a slice-of-life sci-fi and gives me The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet vibes.

I really enjoyed this story and the art style of it. Like I said, it's pretty slow paced so there isn't much I can say about the
Rod Brown
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
There’s a whole lot of throat clearing going on here as the creator takes his time establishing characters and settings. Despite the slow pace, I’m sort of intrigued, but I'm also a little worried that with all the angst and talk of flavors this might turn out to be just Twilight with aliens.
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Actual rating 4.5 stars
Katy
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It has a great, unique sensibility that plays off a juxtaposition of a time far in the future vs classic high school nostalgia. I was lightly disappointed as I was reading to realize that this book is the first of a series, and much of the story is being delivered through kernels of seeds that will only truly grow later on. I wanted more from *this* book. But it was beautifully done and I’m sure the rest of the series is excellent as well. 3.5 stars/5
Helen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a cute read about a girl and her family who are sent back to live on Earth from another planet. However, in order for them to to live on Earth they have to be frozen for 30 years. When Amy and her family are woken up on Earth they have to readjust to life, which is hard for Amy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • Kiss Number 8
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Cheshire Crossing
  • Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
  • Bloom
  • Stargazing
  • This Was Our Pact
  • The Red Maze (5 Worlds, #3)
  • The Okay Witch
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Are You Listening?
  • Sheets
  • Mooncakes
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 3: Encore
  • Estranged (Estranged, #1)
  • DeadEndia: The Watcher's Test
Stephen McCranie has been drawing comics since before he could read or write. He graduated from the University of New Mexico with a degree in Fine Arts and currently lives and works out of a small apartment in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Space Boy (6 books)
  • Space Boy Volume 2 (Space Boy, #2)
  • Space Boy Volume 3 (Space Boy, #3)
  • Space Boy Volume 4 (Space Boy, #4)
  • Space Boy Volume 5 (Space Boy, #5)
  • Space Boy Volume 6 (Space Boy, #6)