Start by marking “The Beauty, Vol. 4” as Want to Read:
The Beauty, Vol. 4

The Beauty, Vol. 4

(The Beauty #17-21)

Corporate espionage, government secrets, and private military contracts are uncovered as an investigative journalist looks deep into Abericorp, the most powerful pharmaceutical company in the world.

Collects issues 17 through 21.
Published June 19th 2018 by Image Comics (first published June 13th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Beauty, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beauty, Vol. 4

Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I got this book from a coworker and while reading it, I couldn't help but feel like I was missing part of the story. Well, that's because I was. My dumb self couldn't be bothered to read the #4 on the spine. Oops. I was lucky enough to read the first vol. as an ARC a few years ago, though, and remembered the basic premise. An STD called "The Beauty" turns the people afflicted with it into gorgeous specimens. The only drawback is that after
David Schaafsma
"Beauty is temptation and punishment."

Not much advancement in this series about a drug that people can take to be beautiful. The hitch is that it can also kill you. Parallels to use of steroids and supplements in sports. In this volume an investigative journalist tries to find out more about how Big Pharm benefits from The Beauty. (Remember Mad Men, re the tobacco industry and how capitalism works to [not] fully protect the populace). Is a cure in the near future? Do most people really care if t
Shadowdenizen
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-other
3.5 stars.

Still enjoying this series, though this arc felt kind of like a "ramp-up/ transition" to a larger part of the story to come.
Susan
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fairly strong volume in the series and focused mostly on the bigger conspiracy. I enjoyed the pod-casters/journalists uncovering government corruption story line and I liked the main characters in this one. I'm not sure that we're actually getting anywhere in terms of reaching a resolution but the journey is entertaining.
Steven
Dang, what a disappointment this series has turned out to be. Just minimal inertia in this volume and quite formulaic and unsurprising. The journalist gets infected? Really? Who didn't see that coming? So a new ticking clock starts, that's something. Also in its favor, this volume does return (finally) to one of the setups from Vol. 1 - the Beauty itself. Not digging the illustration work in this volume either. Vol. 1 of this series was freaking awesome. Sadly, this series has been downhill ever ...more
Zedsdead
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
And the series finally comes full circle, back to its evil-pharmaceutical-corporation roots.

A pharmaceutical Beauty-researcher attempts to blow the whistle on his employer via a crime blogger. That goes about as well as one would expect.

Entirely predictable but not bad. Some good guys fall but a few Davids are left to take on Goliath in v5.
Amy
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm still enjoying the premise behind this story, but the non-linear storytelling and constant jumping around between different sets of characters and timelines is really starting to try my patience. I think this particular collection of issues is taking place either parallel to, or slightly before the first volume. Once again we have no sign of detectives Vaughn and Foster, and while we did see the return of the shady pharmaceutical company, Dr. Palmer, and Calaveras, the primary focus of this ...more
Cale
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It's nice to have a straightforward story again; this volume focuses on a journalist who gets embroiled in a conspiracy having to deal with quick-burning beauties. It spends a lot of time building up the characters on both sides of the plot, and it tells its story well, but it ultimately left me a little disappointed. Things end the way they probably would end, but that doesn't make for the most enjoyable read. There's some impressive artwork here, and the antagonists get enough page time to sta ...more
Angela
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I still finished this volume incredibly quickly, and I’m still interested to see where things progress, but the storyline has diverged so far from where things began, and so many characters have come and gone quite quickly, that it is more difficult to follow along with much of the action.
Freesiab (Bookish Review)
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I really enjoyed delving deeper into the Beauty pharma mystery...
Josh
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This volume finally gets back somewhat to the storyline begun in volume 1, and it's the storyline I've been waiting all this time to get more of. With intrigue and engaging characters, the story delves deeper into the true effects of The Beauty and the ends that those in power will go to in order to hide the truth.

With the return of some story threads and characters, Vol. 4 is definitely one of the higher points of the series, but I'm still waiting for things to return to the levels of excellenc
Heather
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This volume, similar to the first, was strong in terms of storytelling, intrigue and high stakes. I gave this 5 stars because it stands well on it's own, as it's own complete arc.

Which I am beginning to suspect is the point of the series - an exploration of The Beauty from varying points of view. Disjointed and jarring, it doesn't always give new information or characters to root for. I'm definitely willing to give this series another trade, to see where this goes.
Paul Allard
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing

An investigative journalist looks into the Beauty with dramatic effect. Good plot

A podcast crew get involved with an investigation into the Beauty and its long-term effects when a whistleblower contacts them. Things do not always run smoothly as the corporation hinders their progress.
The plot runs at a good steady pace in this volume. It’s nicely balanced and engaging. The artwork is clear and detailed. Certainly enjoyable and there’s more to come.
Stavo Ramos
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
El principio me pareció tan fuera de lugar, pero Dios, como se conecta con el final... Fue épico!
Los personajes son tan geniales, que tan solo en 5 números ya me preocupaba por ellos
Una trama excelente, pero quizá creo que prefiero el arte de los volúmenes anteriores
Y de nuevo quedan preguntas sin resolver, mal ahí
Aún así, no me decepcionó nada y no aguanto por leer el próximo
Edward Smith
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great artwork, good story, recommended!

In volume 4 the story moves away from the police task force serial killer storyline to a pharmo conspiracy/ pod cast journalism investigation with strange for hire killers and pregnant protaganist.

Shaping up to be a strong expansion of "The Beauty" series.
(a)lyss(a)
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This issue ties back into the first following some familiar faces and tracing the cure for Beauty.

We follow an investigative podcaster in trying to uncover the truth of what is happening to people with beauty. I'm assuming this is happening before the first story since people don't know what to expect yet. The ending felt a bit rushed but overall it worked.
Imogene

A podcaster looking for his next story is found by a scientist working for big dark conspiracy laden pharmaceutical company. Hijinks ensue.
There is also a masked Assassin. however....it was all a little forgettable
This whole arc felt more like a bridge than a complete story.
Madeleine Hernandez-g
This is my least favorite volume in the series. I'm just even more confused about the timeline and the characters and I feel like the story is running in circles. I'm still going to read volume 5 since it's apparently the last one (for now) !
Krista
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up.
The Glacial Reader
I'm gonna need this plot to start connecting.
ファティマ
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5
Ruby
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Still love the concept, just wishing the story line would move a little faster.
Lora
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
A sort of transitional volume. This series is best when it stays with the story of The Beauty itself. The Beauty is an interesting concept.
Steven Werber
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A mixture of social commentary, conspiracy and big pharma!!
Mark

• Transhuman
  • Black Magick, Vol. 2: Awakening II
  • Thanos: The Infinity Finale
  • Codename Baboushka: The Conclave of Death
  • Universe X, Vol. 2 (Earth X 3)
  • Suicide Risk, Vol. 1
  • Uber Volume 1
  • Book Club (Unshelved, #4)
  • Alex + Ada, Vol. 3
  • Injection, Vol. 2
  • Freaks of the Heartland
  • Astonishing X-Men: Ultimate Collection, Volume 2
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 13: 1947
  • Descender, Vol. 5: Rise of the Robots

The Beauty (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Beauty #1