Start by marking “Trust Me” as Want to Read:
Trust Me

Trust Me

An accused killer insists she's innocent of a heinous murder.

A grieving journalist surfaces from the wreckage of her shattered life.

Their unlikely alliance leads to a dangerous cat and mouse game that will leave you breathless.

Who can you trust when you can't trust yourself?

Trust Me is the chilling standalone novel of psychological suspense and manipulation that award-winn
Published August 28th 2018 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Trust Me, please sign up.
Hank Ryan Yes! It's me..and because we're alone here :-) I can tell you my real name is...Harriet. Which now I adore! But someone in college, long ago, made up…moreYes! It's me..and because we're alone here :-) I can tell you my real name is...Harriet. Which now I adore! But someone in college, long ago, made up the name Hank. And it just stuck!(less)

Debra
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley

Trust Me, this book was a great psychological thriller.

“Do I ever get to start over?”

Mercer Hennessey begins her days by marking off the number of days it has been since her husband, Dex and their daughter, Sophie died. She was once a journalist who decided to become a stay at home mom to care for her daughter. Her whole world stopped when she lost her family. Mercer has been asked by her editor friend, Katherine, to write a true crime book about the case of a young woman, Ashlyn Bryant
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
3.75*
Remember the case of Casey Anthony? The trial that held the world’s attention when she was on trial for the murder of her young daughter.

The premise of this book has a strikingly parallel theme to that trial. Though the author does acknowledge that fact, often referring back to Casey Anthony’s trial throughout.

Mercer has the opportunity to put her life back together after losing her family in a tragic accident. She’s offered the rare chance to pen a book chronicling the trial and verdict o
Berit☀️✨
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, book-besties
This book was a little quart room drama, a little psychological thriller, a little mystery, and a lot intriguing!

This book will leave you bewildered and unsettled and not knowing which way is up! A book about motherhood, tragedy, justice, and hope.... Astoria filled with lies, deception, terrible truths, and redemption... A book that will anger you, frustrate you, and leave you reeling....

Ripped from the headlines, Ashlyn is accused of killing her three-year-old daughter Tasha Nicole... Mercer
Linda
A lie runs until it is overtaken by the truth.

Hank Phillippi Ryan, you have turned my brain inside out in this one. Trust Me is like being in free-fall, tumbling and overturning again and again with no safety net in sight. Where, oh where will truth meet justice in this whiplash of a storyline?

Mercer clocks time in days numbered with a shaky finger gliding up and down on the steamed mirror in the bathroom. Each number represents a notch that moves farther each day from the accident. Mercer's hus
Fran
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Journalist Mercer Hennessey was a full time mother to daughter, Sophie, putting her career on hold. Nothing could have prepared her for the accident that took the life of lawyer husband, Dex and three year old, Sophie. Her steamy bathroom mirror displayed 442, the number of days since the accident. Grief kept Dex and Sophie alive. Mercer would not allow her sorrow to retreat. She had become reclusive, seldom leaving her house. She kept replaying the car's horrendous skid into an oak tree on a sl ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Wow, Trust Me gets off to a nail-biting and intriguing start! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

A woman is accused of a murder she says she did not commit, while a journalist is grieving an enormous loss. These two join forces, but how and why?

If you are familiar with the Casey Anthony trial, this story will feel similar in some ways. That trial even plays a role in the book.

Mercer, the journalist, has lost her family in a tragic accident. She is having a very hard time (understandably so) when she is asked to write a b
Carol
The Hook Having almost given up on Hank Phillip Ryan I decided to give her one more chance. She is a woman with much to offer in addition to her career as author. I respect her in her role as journalist,TV personality, her poise, leadership qualities, carriage when speaking to a group and her many awards. Where she lost me was in her series fiction. I've reviewed some here so you'll get the picture if you read those. Trust Me is a standalone. This veering from a series character and the topic in ...more
Holly  B

A fictional trial that captivates Boston!

A popular journalist ,Mercer Hennessy has landed a contract to write a novel about a trial that is in session and being referred to as “Baby Boston“. Mercer is suffering from depression because of a tragedy that struck her family over a year ago and is ready to get back to work. She knows it will be an emotional roller coaster for her since the victim is a 2 year old child.

Her task is to turn this trial of the century into a true crime hit that will top t
Amy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, my mind was officially blown as soon as I finished this one, you guys know that I read a ton of thrillers and love the feeling of not knowing exactly where a story is headed, but Trust Me takes things to a new level. I changed my mind at least a hundred times about what direction this would take, so many times that I started to confuse myself! There was so much going on here it made my head spin at times and it definitely kept me on the edge of my seat.

The blurb here is short and sweet and
Judy Collins
Q & A With the Author

MIND-BENDING! Award-winning author Hank Phillippi Ryan returns following her popular Jane Ryland series with TRUST ME —a fresh, polished, timely, and masterfully crafted sophisticated standalone crime thriller with a killer plot twist. Her BEST yet!

A delicious, cat-and-mouse game of manipulation and deception. A riveting psychological suspense thriller that will blow you away! One of the Hottest Thrillers of the Year. Top Books of 2018. 5 Stars +

TRUST ME is complex,
Jamie
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
For the love of all that is holy (books!), please give me half stars already, Goodreads!!!!

This is such a true 4.5 for me that I really couldn’t decide whether to round up or down...so up it is!

This was my first book by Ryan and it raises such an interesting premise about who can you trust and how does it impact how you feel about said situations. Mercer is grieving the loss of her husband and young daughter when she is approached to write a book about a current murder trial (a mother accused o
LJ
First Sentence: Do you know me?

Journalist Mercer Hennessy struggles daily with the loss of her husband and child who died in an automobile accident. Reminiscent of the Casey Anthony case, Ashlyn Bryant is about to go on trial for the murder of her daughter Tasha Nicole, yet she swears she is innocent. Believing Ashlyn is guilty, Mercer accepts the assignment from her editor Katherine Craft to watch a live courtroom feed and write an "instant book" about the trial to be released as soon as the ve
Lynn
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Many reviews contain the story line so I will give my reasons for the 3 star rating. I was debating a two star rating but went with the three due to the author's skill at writing. I just didn't like the book. I had trouble keeping interested with the plot. I was forcing myself to continue thinking it would get better. It didn't for me.

Some of the reasons for this is it felt like a rehash of the Casey Anthony trial. I felt like I could see what was coming next. I would see the real people at the
Kathy
For those of us who remember the 1974 film Chinatown starring Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway, there is an unforgettable scene in this noir mystery movie where Nicolson’s character is asking Dunaway’s character about the identity of a young woman. While getting angrier and angrier, Nicholson demands the truth and Dunaway alternates between his slaps saying, “my daughter, my sister, my daughter, my sister.” And, as it turns out, both are true, as the truth is often a slippery mesh of realities. I ...more
Woody
Jul 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was a slow read. The first section was such a slog I almost gave up. I think they could have ditched the entire first section, taken the really relevant bits and dropped them in the second section with dialogue and maybe a flashback or two. One of the main characters is so over-the-top in words and deeds, I was beginning to think the narrator was hallucinating this entire story. Which would have been a better ending.
Kendall
I first off want to say a huge thank you to the author giving me a signed copy of this book!

Wow.. this was a high tense read by Hank Phillippi Ryan! My goodness... I have to say right off the bat that you will definitely have a love-hate relationship with the characters in this book. This takes huge talent on the author's part! I wanted to throw my book across the room sometimes with some of these characters!

This book will have you turning your head quite a bite and questioning everything and
Laura Rash
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about a page turner! You just can’t turn them fast enough bc you want, no, NEED to know what the truth here really is! For fans of true crime stories or Dateline addicts this is the book for you. Very timely and extremely original.
Lesa
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm breaking all my own blog rules by reviewing Hank Phillippi Ryan's standalone two weeks before release date. But, Trust Me, you're going to want to pre-order this suspense novel. If it's handled correctly, this should be this summer's Gone Girl. Ryan has been on the bestseller lists, but Trust Me should be her breakout novel, the one readers will remember.

With that kind of lead-in, now I have to say Trust Me is a difficult novel to summarize without spoilers. It's been over a year since Merce
Robin
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want everyone to know that it took *all* of my reading willpower not to skip ahead in this book. The story was so serpentine and tense that I could hardly stand the suspense. I hate it when that happens. OK, not really. I loved it. Very well done psychological thriller that to me was a cross between GONE GIRL and THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW (A. J. Finn).

I took off 1/2 star as I started getting a little confused and off-balance, but then maybe that was the author's intent. I also felt it got a lit
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I would have had this book read in one night had I need been so sick. I love a thriller and I love it when I am wrong but this one had me shaking my head. I could not for the life of me understand why Mercer, who believed that Ashlyn was guilty, would start believing everything Ashlyn told her. I wanted to throw the book at that point. You have to read this one to find out what is going on in these two women's head. I want to thank my sister (best friend) for every nighting me a copy of this to ...more
LORI CASWELL
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Former journalist Mercer Hennessey is still trying to deal with the car accident that took her husband and 3-year-old daughter when her former editor, Katherine pitches her a true-crime book idea. Ashlyn Bryant is on trial for murdering her 2-year-old daughter. Bryant has proclaimed her innocence since she was arrested. Katherine wants Mercer to watch the trial and write about having the book ready shortly after the trial ends. Mercer agrees hoping it will help her start to mo
Judy Collins
Book Giveaway Contest Jan 23-Feb 6, 2019. Enter Here (1 of 3) paperback copies signed by the author.

Q & A With the Author

Who is the LIAR?

3 no 7
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Trust Me” by Hank Phillippi Ryan , is a first person narrative by Mercer Hennessey, who is struggling to go on after an accident that claimed her child and her husband.
“Using one forefinger I write on the bathroom mirror...442…Four hundred forty-two days since the car accident that destroyed my family.”

Mercer’s friend and business associate Katherine Craft, wants her to go back to work, to write again. She has the perfect assignment; Mercer will write a true crime book about Ashlyn Bryant, a w
Rebecca
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still grieving her husband, Dex, and 3 year old daughter, Sophie, journalist Mercer agrees to write a true crime book about a young mother, Ashlyn, on trial for murdering her daughter, Tasha. Is it true that "only Ashlyn" could have killed her precious, 2 year old daughter? Will she be found guilty? How will Mercer's assumptions about Ashley affect the book, and is there more to the story? Lastly, how will Mercer's own grief affect the book?

This suspenseful story was unlike any I have read befo
ZachB Anderson
Sep 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was so frustrating that it's a miracle I finished it. At about the 40% mark in the story I had my suspicions that this was to be an awful story and, sure enough, with the introduction of Ashlyn to Mercer in part 2 the ridiculous train started chugging. It feels like a dream mixed with a psychosomatic acid trip. I get that the author is intentionally trying to create an unreliable narrator and an unreliable foil but this...this was otherworldly in terms of confusion. The twist was so an ...more
Subashini
3.5 stars.

I was drawn to this book for its premise of a grief-stricken former investigative journalist writing a true crime book about a mother on trial for killing her child. There is no fast-paced action here; it's a psychological novel with a slow, steady build-up. It's less about twists than about how "truth" can be utterly manipulated. It made me think about the media, sensationalism, and our collective fascination with crime. A solid read.
LynDee
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A journalist who thinks she knows the truth. A murder suspect who may or may not remember which version of events is the one that actually happened. A tense and deadly game of cat and mouse. With this stunning and twisty novel, Hank Phillipi Ryan cements her status as a master of the modern thriller. Trust me, you don't want to miss it.
Paula DeBoard
Note to self: Rooming with an accused murderer may have a devastating effect on your psyche.

Also note to self: Check out other books by Hank Phillippi Ryan.

My thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book.
Melissa Borsey
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the first half of the book and was sailing through it pretty quickly and then it turned weird and I had to trudge through the remainder of it. Honestly, I would have tough time recommending it. I thank Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Robin
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Timely, suspenseful, well crafted – all true, and irrelevant, as this novel is impossible to put down, so as you read you may simply be inhaling Ryan’s words. It’s going back into the story that gets you really thinking. Ryan frequently uses her extensive professional background as an investigative reporter to good advantage in her fiction, giving her characters, journalists all, a real ring of truth. It adds to the street cred of her novels. You can believe what she’s saying, because she knows ...more
Readers Coffeehou...: I am loving Trust Me 4 31 Oct 20, 2018 02:36PM
  • What Doesn't Kill You
  • Scot Free
  • A Beautiful Corpse (Harper McClain, #2)
  • One Tough Cookie (Carol Sabala Mystery #2)
  • The Heat of the Moon (Rachel Goddard Mystery #1)
  • Blessed are Those Who Mourn (Gabriella Giovanni Mysteries #4)
  • A Scrying Shame
  • The Dagger Before Me (Persephone Cole Vintage Mystery, #1)
  • Cross Current (Seychelle Sullivan, #2)
  • Death by a Dark Horse (Thea Campbell Mysteries, #1)
  • March of Crime (Murder-by-Month Mystery #11)
  • Wicked Eddies (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery #2)
  • The Three Beths
  • Yesterday's Body
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution # 3)
  • Dim Sum of All Fears (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Styx & Stone (Ellie Stone Mysteries #1)
  • Death on the Menu (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #8)
Hank Phillippi Ryan is the bestselling author of ten award winning novels of suspense. National reviews have called her a "master at crafting suspenseful mysteries" and "a superb and gifted storyteller."

Her first psychological standalone, TRUST ME, is available for pre-order now! Mary Kubica says: "Dazzling!" and Lisa Gardner says "Mesmerizing!"

The Booklist *starred review says "...it's a knockout