Start by marking “The Ghost Club: Newly Found Tales of Victorian Terror” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Club: Newly Found Tales of Victorian Terror

The Ghost Club: Newly Found Tales of Victorian Terror

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Writers never really die; their stories live on, to be found again, to be told again, to scare again.

In Victorian London, a select group of writers, led by Arthur Conan Doyle, Bram Stoker and Henry James held an informal dining club, the price of entry to which was the telling of a story by each invited guest.

These are their stories, containing tales of revenant loved on

Published December 9th 2017 by Crystal Lake Publishing (first published December 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Club, please sign up.
William I"m not Joe, I"m the author, but It's a simple premise.

I"m not Joe, I"m the author, but It's a simple premise.

These are their stories, containing tales of revenant loved ones, lost cities, weird science, spectral appearances and mysteries in the fog of the old city, all told by some of the foremost writers of the day. In here you'll find Verne and Wells, Tolstoy and Checkov, Stevenson and Oliphant, Kipling, Twain, Haggard, Wilde and Blavatsky alongside their hosts. (less)

Char
Picture the scene: Victorian London. A smoky club. A group of literary icons. The price to join this group? A story of the supernatural.

The scene is now set. Imagine the tales these writers of old would share. Stoker, Dickens, Wells, James, and Stevenson, among others. What price would you pay to sit at that table? Unfortunately, the opportunity to sit there in person is gone, but thanks to William Meikle, you CAN now be privy to these stories and anything else these authors have to say. The en
Jon Recluse
The Ghost Club: an informal gathering of the literary icons of the Victorian Age. The price of admission...a dark tale told by each member.
William Meikle has not only offered up 14 lost tales by this illustrious group, he has done something that raises him to a "Victorian Voice" in his own right, and surely an honorary member welcome to his place with them. No author has the talent to give voice to the dearly departed quite like Mr.Meikle. The man has a full blown author seance in his head. He
November Is Nyarlathotep
Review: THE GHOST CLUB By William Meilkle

Subtitled "Newly Found Tales of Victorian Terror," this collection will delight fans of subtle horror, aficionados of literary horror, and readers who long for the days of the exceptional storytellers of the lost Victorian Era. Authors such as H. G. Wells, Kipling, and Twain held literary audiences spellbound. Round table storytelling also excelled, in which authors read or recited their own compositions. Similar gatherings constituted collections such as
Dave-Brendon Burgh
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once thing that needs to be made clear before I delve into my thoughts on the stories - the only authors represented in this collection which I've read are Mark Twain, Jules Verne and Robert Louis Stevenson, and those when I was still in grade school. So I won't be looking at this collection as a comparison to the styles of the authors. :) I can hear some of you reacting incredulously - put it this way: I went from Enid Blyton and Franklin W Dixon to Stephen King; that should explain it. ;)

The p
Kelly Rickard
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The ghost club: newly found tales of Victorian terror
William Meikle

The ghost club is about a group of authors having an informal dinner party but in order to be admitted they have to submit a story.

Containing the following tales
Margaret Oliphant - To the Manor Born
Oscar Wilde - The Angry
Debbi Smith
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you enjoy the older ghost stories,the ones that started our love of things that go bump in the night, read this collection.
Perfect for these long winter nights, these stories refresh our memories and add a modern twist.
Great book
Catherine Cavendish
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To take on the persona of one classic horror writer is daring enough, but to take on fourteen of the best known -and loved - names in Victorian fiction is an unparalleled feat. I approached this collection of stories with more than a little trepidation. I know Meikle is an accomplished author himself but to be able to successfully pull this one off is a pretty tall order for anyone.

As I turned the pages, I became absorbed into Meikle's authentic Victorian world. This Ghost Club should have exist
Darrell
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Disclaimer: I received an advanced reader's copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

In The Ghost Club, William Meikle does something quite audacious. He presents a collection of ghostly short stories attributed to several Victorian authors such as Robert Louis Stevenson, Anton Chekhov, Helena P. Blavatsky, and Henry James. Some of the hauntings in this collection are subtle, while others have high body counts.

"The High Bungalow by Rudyard Kipling" makes allusions to Freemasonry just l
Frank Errington
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review Copy

I love everything about this wonderful collection from Willie Meikle. Take the concept of Willie's Carnacki collections and replace the dinner guests with literary greats of the Victorian era, each sharing a ghost story, and you have the premise for this new work from William Meikle.

Don't get confused, these are not newly discovered works by these authors. All fourteen stories are written by Meikle writing as these legendary authors.

Wee Davie Makes a Friend by Robert Lewis Stevenson -
John J Questore
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
First, thanks again to Joe Mynhardt and Crystal Lake Publishing for the opportunity to receive this ARC in exchange for an honest review. It’s always a great opportunity and I look forward to receiving more in the future.

Let me start off this review by saying how much I love the premise, and the presentation. The Ghost Club is a collection of short stories - the premise being that there is an informal dinner party at which a group of Victorian authors can only attend if they supply a short story
Leo Robertson
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MY INTERVIEW WITH WILLIAM MEIKLE HERE!

A virtuosic and audacious literary experiment. Meikle writes in the style of various Victorian authors—he takes on Tolstoy!—through a collection of faux-found tales.

Very much a love letter to the authors included. It's as if Meikle asks the reader to imagine and pay respect to the ghosts of all those readers back then, indulging in fantastical afternoons imagining all kinds of delights and horrors.

The concept itself also raises questions about appropriation,
GracieKat
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love classic horror. Sometimes it can give me the creepy crawlies much more than a modern book will. I think it's partly the restraint of them. Not restraint in the amount of words they used (some of them can be a bit...wordy) but in their topics and what they were and were not allowed to say. Modern authors can be as graphic as they please and it can take away a bit from the terror at times.

So you can imagine how quick to grab this book and run. I may not have been so eager if I hadn't known
S.J. Budd
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the premise of this book in which an old manuscript of ghost stories is found in the abandoned London Criterion Club once popular with the glitterati of the stage and literary world as well as prominent members of parliament.

The manuscript contains ghost stories from many well know writers from the illustrious Victorian Age. It was here where Henry James formed his exclusive ghost club. Membership could be bought by telling a ghost story.

This book contains these very stories exper
Susan Hampson
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a setting, a room full of the most talented authors and being witness to such tales. I can imagine this club meeting weekly and even the excitement of the members as a new story-teller joined to entertain the group, as payment for entry into this elite club within a club. As I read these stories I still wondered what the others listening thought and what response each one received when the tale came to an end. In my own imagination the only thing I could hear was the voice, be it male o ...more
Darrell Grizzle
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of Victorian horror stories, each written by William Meikle in the voice of a different author from the era: Robert Louis Stevenson, Bram Stoker, Oscar Wilde, Henry James, and others. Most of the tales are in the classic ghost story tradition, and they range from mildly unsettling to genuinely horrifying, but all of them are well-written and engaging. If you like ghost stories, you'll love The Ghost Club.
Ann Keeran
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well written compendium of stories written by the best authors of the Victorian Era, maybe. Stories found after decades of being hidden in a writer's club. Fascinating!
Paula
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For those of you who appreciate the Victorian tales of yesteryear, you are in for a treat! you can read my full review here... https://horrornovelreviews.com/2017/1...
Robert Vanneste
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall a solid anthology .
Tony
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My initial reaction to William Meikle’s “The Ghost Club” was not a particularly favourable one, however, once I figured out exactly what was really going on I quickly warmed to it, enjoying it tremendously. At first glance it looks like, yet another, collection of old ghost written in the Victorian era which are cobbled together by a hammy narrator interconnecting the stories. I have a feeling this was exactly what William Meikle wanted the reader to think.

When I looked down the impressive list
Yvonne Davies
If you were asked living or dead, which authors you would pick to have at a dinner party, I can guarantee at least one of the great Victorian writers would be on your list. Masters of storytelling, their written stories are still read today.
An old Victorian manuscript is found in a derelict building. Penned by Arthur Conan Doyle, it captures 14 stories regaled to him, Henry James and Bram Stoker when other authors are invited to dine with them.
Before I review this book, there is a disclaimer, I
Linda
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
None of the stories scared me, but I'm starting to think it's me and not the horror books I read. Which makes me wonder about myself. Be that as it may, the concept behind The Ghost Club is interesting. The author, William Meikle, wrote each story as if a different Victorian writer authored it. The best part, to me, is that he introduced me to a female Victorian author I'd not heard of, Margaret Oliphant. She wrote in several genres, including ghost stories. I shall find some books of hers, read ...more
Gary Nicklin
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read several of William Meikle's Sherlock and Carnacki collections so I know how good he is at writing in the style of other authors. This time he presents a collection of stories from the likes of Doyle, Stoker, Verne and Kipling to name but a few. The stories themselves are very good and vary in style from dark to comical while keeping a horror feel about them. I loved it.
Stig
I like stories with a Victorian setting, as well as ghost stories and club stories. This collection of short stories combines all three, but with the twist that each story is presented as being told by a different period author which makes for a diverse and interesting mix of styles and subject matters. An ambitious and successful effort.
Martin Richmond
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliant idea, drawing together such a collection of famous writers and telling stories so apt for each one with a ghostly connection. It screams out series and one that I'd be on board for. So original and expertly written.
Carl
Morgan Scorpion
Dec 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Horror Aficionados : THE GHOST CLUB by William Meikle 1 15 Dec 08, 2017 11:38AM
I'm a Scottish writer, now living in Canada, with more than twenty five novels published in the genre press and over 300 short story credits in thirteen countries.

My work has appeared in a number of professional anthologies and I have recent short story sales to NATURE Futures, Penumbra, Read Short Fiction and Buzzy Mag. When I'm not writing I play guitar, drink beer and dream of fortune and glor