Start by marking “The Conqueror's Queen (Queens of Conquest)” as Want to Read:
The Conqueror's Queen (Queens of Conquest)

The Conqueror's Queen

(Queens of Conquest #3)

Conquerors Queen
Published May 18th 2017 by MACMILLAN

Evie Pey
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book, well written and a good historical read.

Great to read something that isn't about the tudors.
Margaret
A novel about William the Conqueror's queen, Mathilda of Flanders.

An interesting little book, not heavy on romance and pragmatic about marriage at the time.

An excellent read.
As a final chapter in Courtney’s 1066 queen trilogy, this finale rounds out the perspectives on this series of events nicely. Giving us a human look at figures commonly translated as the villains in the story, I was amazed again at how well the author is able to bring her historical figures to life so vividly. So little is known about William and Matilda that isn’t shadowed by legend; it was a real treat to see them as real people in a series of events so important to English history.

Commonly,
Jo Barton
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story of the Norman Conquest is enshrined in our history, we know that William of Normandy sailed with his band of loyal supporters and an army of foreign mercenaries, and in 1066, at the Battle of Hastings, forcibly took the throne from Harold Godwinson, the last of the Anglo-Saxon Kings. That William was a powerful and dangerous opponent is without doubt, but as the saying goes, behind every powerful man is an equally strong woman.

As the niece and granddaughter of the Kings of France, Mat
Kiesha ~ 1Cheekylass
When I saw this book, I decided to try the series. Although unpopular to most, I've always liked William the Conqueror and of course, Matilda. The other books in the series were about characters, places and time period that I was pretty uninformed about but I knew about William & Matilda and some of the events leading up to 1066. Considering my love for this couple, this was my least favorite of the series. I found Matilda to be a little dense and dull--I've always imagined her having much m ...more
Dearna (Words of the Roses)
4.5*

Really loved how this books seems to round out the whole series. Joanna has done an amazing job of showing us just how connected these three kings were are just how dangerous it can be for you when Fortune’s Wheel turns. I would love to see another novel that goes in William and Mathilda’s reign.

So many of the characters of the first book, The Chosen Queen, feature in this one that I almost want to start the series again so see what I missed the first time round. Overall I adore these book
Lois
I liked this book the best but largely this trilogy, while deeply researched, is historical romance.
livvingitup
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joanna Courtney is one of my all-time favourite historical writers and this book only reinforces my faith in her. Courtney crafts these marvellous stories encompassing the rise of a queen and she breathes life and romance into the past. These aren't yellowed pages gathering dust on decrepit shelves, but books woven with vivacious passion.

The The Conqueror's Queen follows the journey of Mathilda of Flanders as she braves marrying the Duke of Normandy - a bastard with the determination to claim t
Jo
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Norman Conquest from the Norman POV. We meet Mathilda just before her official betrothal to William, Duke of Normandy. I've been enjoying Courtney's books telling the stories of the queens of the main players in the battle for the English crown in the early 2nd millennium. Her writing style is engaging as she breathes life into these historical figures. Looking forward to where she goes next with her books.
Marissa Price
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Joanna Courtney is such a wonderful author, able to enrich each scene with so much detail and emotion it feels as if you’re there, experiencing the tale of Mathilda and William with them.
I particularly liked the representation of William in this novel...it shows skill to be able to switch a perspective and empathise with a character previously the antagonist and make them relatable and real.
Viti
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was my first time reading this particular author - the local librarian recommended the read.

I love historical fiction but some books can be quite a laborious read. Fortunately this was not one of those books so yay! Brilliant read and I appreciated the author's notes towards the end re the historical characters.

Will have to read her first and second books for sure!
Amber Meller
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was amazing and well written. It was something that I usually read, but it engaged me till the end and I was excited to be reading it.
Maria
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally enjoying the series.
eleanor nelson
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable reading well researched . Will now read other books in the series.
Lou
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Megan
Warning for potential spoilers but seriously, it's history, so does that ever really count as a spoiler?

While I really enjoyed Courtney's first novel in this series, The Chosen Queen, the second, The Constant Queen, just didn't work for me at all to the point where I DNFed. Needless to say, I was slightly apprehensive going into this final novel, while simultaneously hoping that it would be a strong finish to the end of the trilogy. Luckily, I didn't have anything to worry about.

Mathilda was suc
Clemens Schoonderwoert
This delightful book is the 3rd and final volume of the "Queens of the Conquest" trilogy, and in my opinion the author has produced another superb captivating read.
The book contains at the beginning a well-drawn map of Normandy in AD 1066 and also printed two important extensive Family Trees, while at the end of the book you'll find some superbly documented Historical Notes concerning this great story.
So all in all the historical details concerning this story have been very well researched and e
Cassia
  • Queen of the North
  • The Maiden and the Unicorn
  • The Jack the Ripper A to Z
  • A Wing and a Prayer
  • Theodora: Actress, Empress, Whore (Empress Theodora, #1)
  • The Nine Day Queen
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • Freya 800 AD
  • Against Walls (Amgalant One)
  • Fire Song (Siren Song, #3)
  • Lion of Mortimer (The Plantagenets, #3)
  • Daughter of Lir
  • The Emperor's Elephant (Saxon, #2)
  • Birthright (Mercia Blakewood, #1)
  • Dark Waters (Cragg & Fidelis Mystery #2)
  • I, Jacqueline
  • The Winter Queen (Tudor Queens, #1)
  • The Seven Letters
My first literary accolade was a creative writing prize at primary school and from that point on I wanted to be a novelist. I was always reading as a child and often made up stories for my brother and sister on long car journeys. I was also a huge Enid Blyton fan and by ten I was writing my own (doubtless terrible) boarding school novels. Perhaps inevitably, I took my degree in English literature ...more

Queens of Conquest (3 books)
  • The Chosen Queen (Queens of Conquest #1)
  • The Constant Queen (Queens of Conquest #2)