Start by marking “Last Call” as Want to Read:
Last Call

Last Call

(Maggie Lewis Mystery #1)

A bartender at a Florida VFW has to clear her name or she'll be serving time instead of drinks.

Bartender Maggie Lewis can't hold her beer, her tongue, or her temper. On a bad day at work she'd love to kill a customer or two. On a very bad day she becomes the primary suspect accused of doing just that.

Suspended from her job after being set up for the murder of Korean War ve
Published July 8th 2018 by Midnight Ink

To ask other readers questions about Last Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Call

3 no 7
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Last Call” by Paula Matter opens with a confession by the main character, Maggie Lewis that sets the tone for the rest of the book:
“Refusing a ride back to the VFW was maybe the stupidest thing I’d done that morning. But, if Bobby Lee thought I was riding in the back seat of his police cruiser twice in one day… All of this— the murder, my arrest— may have started at work two nights ago”

Thus, we find Maggie, in debt, short on cash, working as a grumpy bartender at the local VFW. On a typical Fri
LJ
First Sentence: Refusing a ride back to the VFW was maybe the stupidest thing I'd done that morning.

Maggie Lews is trying to make ends meet by taking in a renter and serving as a bartender at the local VFW hall. Instead, she finds herself suspended from her job and suspected of murdering Korean war veteran Jack Hoffman. Not trusting the same police who still haven't solved the murder of her husband from a year ago, Maggie decides the only answer is to find the killer herself.

Not only does Matter
Kellye
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Got my hands on an advance copy of this debut and I'm so happy I did! There was so much to love in this story, including the details of how a VFW works and how North Florida sometimes feels like a different world from South Florida (both literally and figuratively.) There was also a lot of great suspects with really strong motives. However, my favorite thing about the book is the main character, Maggie. The best way to describe her is perfectly imperfect. She has flaws. Like most of us, she know ...more
Kathy
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced reader's copy of Last Call before I knew anything about it or the author, and then I started hearing/reading about its debut from other bloggers and sources. Its clever word play description from the publisher, with phrases such as "she'll be serving time instead of drinks" and "before she ends up behind the wrong kind of bars" indicated to me that this book is one I wanted to read. Even the title is a witty word play. I do so love finding a talented new author and a gem o ...more
Lesa
Last month, I interviewed Paula Matter, author of the debut mystery, Last Call, http://bit.ly/2OEesvq. Just this week, I had the chance to read the book, and there's so much I like about this book. I could have used a list of characters, but bartender Maggie Lewis and her story were fresh and original.

Maggie Lewis has been the bartender at the VFW in North DeSoto, Florida for five years. She's a short, middle-aged, grumpy widow, but, most of the time, she enjoys the hours she spends with the reg
gifta alvina
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is really an enjoyable book. When we read the detective-theme mystery book, we usually come to the conclusion after the character does. But with this book, we are guided and find the conclusion almost the same time as the character does.

There is no gruesome, too-descriptive crime scene, but there is detailed investigation we can read through. We get to know the other character the same time Maggie, the main lead, get to know them.

The sprinkle of romance and women friendship are also a goo
Dave
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Maggie Lewis is a bartender at the VFW in a small Florida town.
She finds herself suspected of murder and suspended without pay.
Soon she's on the case to prove her innocence.
A good book, but I was disappointed.
Too many times Maggie (and other characters) make choices that have you wanting to pull your hair out.
I will give the series another chance.
Annette Dashofy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Paula Matter has woven a wonderfully fun and quirky debut in Last Call with a cast of characters you’ll want to hang out with for years to come. Maggie is both vulnerable and spunky as she struggles to make it on her own…with a little help from her friends. She’ll break your heart and have you laughing out loud!
Cozy Cat Reviews
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This is a very powerful thriller /mystery that kept me reading until early morning. I loved it and highly recommend it to all that enjoy a good mystery. The writing is excellent and I look forward to further books by this author in the future.
I received a ARC and my opinions are my own. Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for this excellent read.
This is the story of Maggie, a recent widow. She is struggling since her husband died in every way. She works as a a bartender at a bar that
Breakaway Reviewers
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maggie must prove she is not a murderer.

Bartender Maggie at a Florida VFW is a suspect in a murder when a Korean war vet is found murdered in the parking lot of the club. She and her neighbour, Michael, set out to clear her name and find the real killer and why Jack Hoffman was killed.

This is not the first murder in the small town. Maggie’s own husband was killed in their home just two years before and his murderer has never been found. It is no wonder Maggie has no faith in the local sheriff an
Sandra
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Last Call by Paula Matter is the first book in Maggie Lewis Mystery and I sincerely hope it will be a long standing series.
Maggie is a widow and a bartender in Florida VFW, just living her life and trying to scrape by when she is falsely accused of killing a veteran, a long time patron of hers. Deciding not to be beaten, Maggie decides to fight back and investigate. She also enlists help of her new tenant who just happens to be a former police officer waiting to get his PI licence. With his guid
Brenda
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maggie Lewis, 46, is widowed and owns the duplex she leases half of to new P.I. Michael Bradley and his 9 yo daughter Chris. Maggie's bartender job at North DeSoto FL VFW is in jeopardy when she is framed for the murder of patron Jack Hoffman. Relying on Michael's help to clear her name and find justice for Jack stirs up parts of Maggie's emotions that she had shut down.

Maggie grows from a surly, unhappy widow to a gentler person with an interest in those around her.

Looking forward to the next i
Kathleen Gray
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maggie's trying to keep it together after the murder of her husband when Jack, one of the regular patrons at the VFW bar where she works is also murdered- and she's a prime suspect. Never mind that she shouldn't be, but that's how it is and of course she has to investigate on her own. Wait- she has the help of Michael, who has moved into the other side of her duplex with his daughter. This is squarely in the middle of the amateur detective genre (but not a cozy) but it's a good start to what I s ...more
Suzanne
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a new author to me and now I'm very glad I found her. The Last Call was one of the best books I read this year. Such a a fresh approach to a murder mystery.
Mary
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book! My husband was in the hospital and Ms Matter kept me entertained! Look forward to another one in the series!!!
Taylor Williams
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book, and I'm so glad I did. I think it was well written with good character development and a good story line. I only wish my library carried her books - I'm going to ask, so I can read the second one in the series.
Franny
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Last Call" by Paula Matter sets the foundation for a really great series. The characters are funny and familiar enough to be interesting, and the plot hops and jumps around in a way that suits protagonist Maggie Lewis. All of the elements that made Joan Hess' and Janet Evanovich's series so popular are in place for Matter. The few minor flaws are things that will no doubt work out with time and experience, so this should be reaching for the best seller lists fairly quickly.
LInda L
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was SO GOOD -- the heroine was smart, funny, and a bartender. She got suspended when a long-time VFW member was murdered. She and her tenant, who is almost a PI, begin to look into a few things and lo -- they also find a few things. The story of how she follows through on some of the information she weasels out of VFW members is amazing and funny. She is also aware that the murder of her husband many years ago has never been solved and she would like to know more about that. Great first boo ...more
Ayumi
Maggie Lewis works as a bartender at VFW in North Desoto. The bar in this small town is always busy with same old people who love to hang out from the time the bar opens until it closes. She is a middle-aged woman who lost her husband by murder. She has been working so hard almost every night, and a death of Jack Hoffman, one of the veterans at VFW, happens on her very much needed night off from work.

The next morning when she comes into the bar, soon she realizes her bosses are trying to frame h
mary mcardle
rated it did not like it
Sep 08, 2018
John
Jul 10, 2018
Christine Falcone
Jul 30, 2018
Paula Matter (rhymes with otter) is the author of the Maggie Lewis Mysteries, which take place in a small town in North Florida. Last Call debuts in July, 2018.

Paula’s short crime fiction stories have been published in USA and German anthologies. After losing her job as a catering server, Paula decided instead of getting yet another job in the service industry, she’d tackle her mystery novel again