Start by marking “Things I'd Rather Do Than Die” as Want to Read:

Things I'd Rather Do Than Die

Jade Fulton and Ethan Garrett are opposites in every sense of the word. Ethan is an all-American poster boy—a star athlete dating the most popular girl in school and a devout Christian. Jade keeps mostly to herself. She abhors joining “things,” hates everyone at their high school except her best friend, Gia, and considers herself agnostic.

When Ethan and Jade find themselve
Published September 18th 2018 by Flux

To ask other readers questions about Things I'd Rather Do Than Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things I'd Rather Do Than Die

jv poore
The senior year of high school often starts with an almost-desperate desire to get through, get out and get on with life. Students have been sorted into pseudo-boxes; cliques are closed and relationships seem cemented. Passing classes, prom dates and plans for after high-school are the parts everyone knows about, but there are some adolescents who long for such simple problems to solve.

Perhaps the parental situation is such that a teen is pulled from practices to pick up his intoxicated dad. Or
Kylie
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
** I received an ARC from Netgalley and publisher Flux in exchange for an my honest review **

This novel starts out with Jade working overtime when Ethan asks for 20 minutes of a workout, and they end up getting robbed and locked in a room together.

Of course that interested me right from the start because it seemed like a cool plot line. But alas, when they were rescued the story went south.

-The robbery really was an irrelevant event to happen besides allowing Jade and Ethan to meet. It seeme
Nadhira Satria
Apr 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc, contemporary
lmao I only found out that this is actually a christian book AFTER I got accepted on netgalley.

shit
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
Ant

Two people who barely know each other held at gunpoint and locked in a gym overnight: I was so excited!

And it was really great, but it was essentially the only piece of plot in the entire book. So after all that great stuff, that was it. It was all downhill from there...

But even though nothing was really happening it was still not the most boring thing I've ever read. It was slow, but not terrible.

I felt that the dual narration was a bit unnecessary. I am not a fan of multiple narrators and thi
Emma
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it

At first I couldn’t really get into the story, I didn't like all the religious talks they were having and I was afraid it would be the major plot of the book. I'm happy to say it was not and that the book picked itself up after having a bit of a rocky start. The story deals with a lot of different themes, like for example race, loss, what family truly means. The whole Brianne’s subplot was dragged
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
I received this eARC from North Star Editions on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way.

Dnf'd at 31%

I would first like to say that the religious aspects of this book were not in anyway a flaw and anyone who believes otherwise needs to seriously reexamine themselves because they're hypocrites. A lot of the religious stuff was a little preachy sometimes but that was obviously intentional on the author's part.

This book was not, however, p
Alja Katuin
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely feel-good YA!
Jennifer Shanahan
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-giveaways
I really liked this book despite it's mixed reviews here on GR. I do not think this was a "Christian" or religious book. One of the main characters, Ethan, has a very strong faith and believes in God which I thought was really wonderful because a) I hardly ever see a teen male portrayed that way in the many books I've read and b) he is a TEEN male with a strong faith...refreshing and different, and c) he does begin to question his faith after talking to Jade and reflecting on his life. Ethan and ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of THINGS I’D RATHER DO THAN DIE in exchange for my honest review.***

DNF at 8% I didn’t realize this was a christian book or I’d never have requested it. Also the premise of an armed robber choosing to rob a gym was a stretch.
Shelby
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'll be honest, at a couple chapters in I wasn't too sure I was going to be able to get into this book. It didn't grab me from the start. However once I got about 5 chapters in or so it picked up for me. At that point I couldn't stop reading -- I just had to know what was going to happen. It was funny at times, sweet at others, and heartbreaking throughout. Jade was going through an awful lot and I really felt for her. This was Christian fiction but it wasn't so in your face that the religious s ...more
Ash Luna
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my first read from Christine Huley Deriso going into it I was a littler nervous given the title of the book. Things I'd Rather Do Than Die is a little misgiving of the book but once I read it I couldn't have given it a better title.
Ethan is very religious and depends on his Faith every single day, being a male teen this says a heck of a lot about his character and I absolutely adored him.
Jade she is hilarious and a go getter who know who she is and doesn't really care what people thin
Faizan
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I got the ARC from NetGalley

TBH, the book does not offer any special story.
It is just that too much-used drama of an invisible girl and a football player.

The biggest problem was the incompleteness of story arcs.

What about the real mother?
Was there some racial discrimination?
What was the deal with Jade's brother?
What about the Ethan's father's other family?

Just read this book if you want to read a light read... Don't expect something bigger.

The book is written in simple language, so that is good
Tahlia
Mar 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF at 5%

This book seemed promising - an armed robber. Excitement!
It is really badly written (which must be saying something as I only made it 5% of the way through before giving up) and split between two characters. It DOES NOT work and the flow is not cohesive at all. The dialogue is 100% cringey at best and I was very disappointed.

The last straw was when one of the characters (did not care enough to learn his name) was like "Oh no! The gym's getting robbed!"

Really?? REALLY??

don't waste you
Manon
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
*2.5 Stars*

I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Right after getting this book from NetGalley, I read some reviews on Goodreads, none of them good. Mostly they were saying that this was a christian book and should have been tagged as such.
Being an atheist, I then dreaded reading this.
However, it wasn't as bad as I anticipated.
There was mentions of God and Jesus and shit but it wasn't preaching like I thought it would.

Still, I didn't love the characters and the stor
Michelle Lecumberry
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"The main characters are both complex and delightful. An inspirational read that readers can appreciate." --Booklist

I don't think this book was for me, it doesn't have to do with the story or the characters I think my beliefs and perspective are different from the author. I have to be honest I DNF the book the first 100 pages because it’s not a bad book, it’s just not the book for me. Clearly it has good aspects and Booklist a major and respected company gave their praise for this book so my opi
Julie Parks
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
The book with a very interesting title.
Two very opposite perspectives - and not just because of their genders.
One night, many many things revealed that cannot be taken back.
This story makes you think about moments lived and moments that you might have lived but for some reasons didn't.
Good for parents of teenagers as well as teenagers themselves.

I received the copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
April
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
The title, cover and the plot all sounded very intriguing however I found it very bland and not really for me. It was a pretty quick read but I didn't really like execution as it fell flat for me.
Patty
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Things I'd Rather Do Than Die by Christine Harley Deriso is a very interesting young adult love story that I enjoyed. Jade Fulton and Ethan Garrett are opposites, Ethan is star athlete and “Jesus freak”, and Jade is girl who would rather remain unseen. When these two are locked up together for hours, their way of thinking begins to change. I do not consider this to be a Christian book, I believe one of the characters deals with life by throwing himself into church. There are characters that are ...more
Arlen
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
by Christine Hurley Deriso

Pub Date: 18 Sep 2018

Read courtesy of www.Netgalley.com

I recently reviewed Christine Hurley Deriso's All the Wrong Chords, which I loved. I really wanted to like Things I'd Rather Do Than Die as much, but alas, I give it 4 instead of 5 ⭐. I also read Deriso's Acknowledgment section of this novel, and I'm glad she took the advice of her editor; having the main characters tell their tale in alternating scenarios made this story more thoughtfu
Becca Fowell
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
**Firstly I would like to thank the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC for this book**

So I was a little unsure of this book after getting about 5% into it and realising that Christianity is mentioned quite a lot, only to then look at a few reviews and see other people had the same realisation as me. I also saw a lot of the reviewers DNF this book, which of course made me even more determined to finish it. Overall, I'm glad I did.

I found it quite hard to get into this book, but
Paulina (aspiringliterati)
Lives of Jade and Ethan, two seniors whose paths - until then - had seldom intertwined, change forever after misfortunes befall them, they get locked up in a gym overnight and - oh my, wait for it! - talk, really talk and challenge each other's views.

Now, that sounds like something right up my alley because even though the characters have only ever been vaguely aware of each other (going to the same high school), they never really had a proper, meaningful conversation. Not that their 'friendly
Sonya Moyle
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Thank you NetGalley and North Star Editions Publishing for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A quick read; a coming of age story, that revolves around 1 intense night - both kids have father issues, him, alcoholism; her, cancer.

I would recommend if you enjoy teen drama.
Kelli
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A poignant coming-of-age story, this novel addresses themes of race identity, social classes, faith, terminal illness, and family. I found this to be a truly heart-warming story with likeable MCs and a sweet yet wistful ending.

I received a free ARC via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.
Up All Night With Books
3 Give This Book a Try Stars
Review by Sue
Late Night Reviewer
Up All Night w/ Books Blog

Things I’d Rather Do Than Die by Christine Hurley Deriso is an interesting view and story of angst, prejudice, love and acceptance through the teenage perspective.

Ethan Garrett is confident, good looking as well as a quarterback and senior at Walt Whitman High School. He dates the head cheerleader, gets good grades, is a devout Christian and has always been ok with status quo.

One night with one quite different
Miranda
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
*Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review*

I've seen a few reviews where people have stopped reading this book at the beginning due to some religious themes. I won't lie - I felt that way at first too as it almost seemed like the author was going to promote their religious beliefs, but seeing how I was only about 5% through I wanted to give it some more time. I'm glad I did! I'd give this novel an overall 3.5 stars. I wouldn't say I w
Van
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, I have to rate this a 2 out of 5 stars. I was generously given a copy via NetGalley, but I read up to about half of it. I had not realized when I originally requesting to read it that it was Christian fiction. I had to DNF at 5% due to the writing style, not my favorite, and the religious aspect, I dont particularly enjoy Christian novels or read them. Jade, from what I had read seemed whiny and Ethan putting his life in the hands of God rubbed me the wrong way. The sentence struc ...more
Paula Pugh
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great book that delves into the confusing and assuming world of teens, revealing religious assumptions and prejudices that can taint and tarnish the minds of the impressionable teens until they can figure out what is real and what is presumption. Add to this the undercurrent of false rumors and gossip and you have a great book.
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Book Review
Title: Things I'd Rather Do Than Die
Author: Christine Hurley Deriso
Genre: YA/Romance
Rating: ***
Review: So, the premise of this novel is quite basic, two people who have ideas about the other are locked in a room together and are forced to confront their prejudices and each other. The opening to Things I’d Rather Do Than Die was great, we are introduced to Jade who is sick from what I gather and work at a gym as a part time job while being in school. Jace seems to be an outlier and doe
Leigh Hecking
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, ya, read-in-2018, arc
I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

First, the positives! I always enjoy a diverse character cast, so I liked that one of the main narrators in this book was half African American and had a Filipino step-mother and step-sister. And it's always great to read books with female protagonists! Some of the family dynamics were also really interesting. (view spoiler)
Holly ✨
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
*Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review*

It's hard to say, but this book just wasn't for me. It was at times very predictable and much on par with pretty much all teen contemporary romances. I feel this because I have read so many similar books to these over the years. This book would appeal to those though that haven't read much of this genre before and I would have probably enjoyed this more also if I hadn't. Although, ov
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.”—William Wordsworth

One thing that strikes me about my writing is that the process has changed very little since I first started jotting down stories around age six. An idea fills my head and whines, cajoles, begs or bullies until I pay attention. Sometimes the ideas are so charming that I scoop them up in a hug. Other times, they’re so annoying t