Start by marking “The Railway Man (DCI John Blizzard, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Railway Man (DCI John Blizzard, #3)

The Railway Man

(DCI John Blizzard #3)

Few tears are shed when an ex-boxer and local hard man is found dead in a disused railway signal box.

When DCI John Blizzard is called in to investigate, he discovers no shortage of people who would want the bully dead. But getting any of them to come forward proves difficult.

Having interrupted the opening day of the public display of a steam engine that DCI Blizzard lov
Published November 27th 2017 by The Book Folks (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Railway Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Railway Man

Bicky
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
A police procedural which brings home the hopelessness prevalent in many once industrial towns in northern England and the frustrations of the police force with no go zones. Despite, repeated references to the brilliance of DCI Blizzard, this series rarely reveals any examples of it. Surprisingly even in 2017, it seems that forensic science is yet to reach this unfortunate part of England.
Carol Butler
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good

Have given 4* mainly for storyline and the way it flows good writing and the usual police procedures, I borrowed this book as a prime member, but I could not take a liking to Blizzard don't no why he came across as quite affable, but he obviously don't know who is friends are, but I did suspect a couple and as it turned out I was right. Would have another go at this author as I think he has potential.
Peter Marsh
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-available
A less abrasive, more user friendly DCI Blizzard was not really what I was looking for. The plot was fine, continuing the motif of crimes from long ago reaching into Blizzard's current investigation but his increasing introspection and the ongoing domestication of his DS seems to be filling more pages.

Would I read another? It's a series I would come back to but for the moment, it's time to look elsewhere.
Erik Empson
No-nonsense detective John Blizzard returns in this exciting new murder mystery by John Dean. A hated local thug is found dead, and police soon have a long list of possible suspects. In typical John Dean style we are led to believe we know the culprit, but only if you pick up on the carefully placed clues will you discover the real murderer and the reason for their crime. A clever, interesting plot; and an easy read.
Anouska
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An easy-to-read murder mystery set in the world of the railway industry and council estates of England. Dean's strength lies not only in creating satisfying plots that keep you guessing, but in building up relatable characters whose depth only increases as the series continues. DCI Blizzard is gruff, funny and deeply dedicated to his work, and I love how his expressiveness develops over these three books. This is a rewarding murder mystery with fascinating twists and complex villains.
barbara
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
The storyline was quite good but not that keen on Blizzard doesn't seem to do anything Colley i like at least he does some action Blizzard hates paperwork which is good part of his work and couldn't even control a kid from stabbing him !!Not a very good example of a good detective his team do more than him !!
Neil Mullins
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another good book in the series

I really like the character of DCI Blizzard. The interaction with other colleagues and staff is very good. I like the humour in the books and often find my self laughing out loud. Blizzard has his faults and can be quite set on ideas but I think that's what makes him more interesting.
Just going to read next one.
Please keep them coming Mr Dean
Randall Chris Herrington
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Off the rails

I enjoy the characters in this series. The plot line in this one was quite contrived. Not one of Dean's better efforts. Still a worthy read.
Wanda
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The railway man

I love this series. A very interesting book. That keeps you guessing who is guilty. Be sure and read the other books in this series
Jane C. Anderson
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Railway Man

Well written! This story holds your attention from first chapter to the last! It proves "crime doesn't pay", you always get caught in the end!
Debbie Cleaveley
Jan 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Cardboard cut out characters and a dull tale. Didn’t finish it which is unusual for me.
Dawn Davies
Nov 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this a very disappointing book, the characters were shallow and i got confused who was who, glad to have finished it.
Tina H Pickard
Jean Figgins
Dec 27, 2017
Adele Freeman
Jun 10, 2018
  • Perdition (Detective Inspector Munro murder mysteries Book 7)
  • Wrongly Convicted (Slater and Norman Mystery Series Book 12)
  • The Dark Isle (The DCI Dani Bevan, #10)
  • Fade to Black
  • Flotsam and Jetsam (Inspector Torquil McKinnon #4)
  • Devil with a Gun (Dixie Flynn Mystery, #2)
  • The Scent of Guilt (DI Bliss and DC Chandler #2)
  • Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers (Unhuman #3)
  • Evil Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #6)
  • The Armada Boy (Wesley Peterson, #2)
  • Twist of Truth
  • This Lonely Town
  • Murder at the Manor (Libby Sarjeant #9)
  • Murder on the West Coast
  • Blood Bought (DS Lasser series Book 17)
  • Promises, Promises (DI Wardell #1)
  • Salford Murders
  • Romeo's Hammer (Mike Romeo Thrillers #3)
John Dean is a freelance journalist who has runs his own business and draws heavily on his years as a crime reporter for newspapers and magazines to create his novels.

He is a member of the Crime Writers’ Association and cites Sherlock Holmes as his all-time favorite detective. He lives in the South West of Scotland.

(Also writes under the pseudonym John Stanley)

Librarian's note: There is more than

DCI John Blizzard (5 books)
  • The Long Dead (DCI John Blizzard#1)
  • Strange Little Girl (DCI John Blizzard #2)
  • The Secrets Man (DCI John Blizzard, #4)
  • A Breach of Trust (DCI John Blizzard, #5)