Start by marking “The Mighty Captain Marvel, Vol. 3: Dark Origins” as Want to Read:
The Mighty Captain Marvel, Vol. 3: Dark Origins

The Mighty Captain Marvel, Vol. 3: Dark Origins

(The Mighty Captain Marvel (Collected Editions) #3)

As Captain Marvel, Carol Danvers has traveled to almost every inch of the planet - and beyond! Now she's heading somewhere uncharted! Join Carol on her new cosmic journey through the past and future, as Captain Marvel takes flight in an adventure you won't want to miss! They say you can't go home again...but what about a creepy, twisted version of your childhood home? That ...more
Published June 5th 2018 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about The Mighty Captain Marvel, Vol. 3, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Chad
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, hoopla
Captain Marvel gets zapped into a mirror universe where she's a thief while trying to save Bean. It's all very safe and bland with a few funny jokes. The pacing is way off with this easy, breezy heist plot that goes nowhere and everything with Dr. Eve and Bean all crammed into the last issue. Michele Bendini's art is clean, simple, and good.

I think overall this was the worst of the several Captain Marvel relaunches. You'd think Marvel would pay Captain Marvel more attention and give her her due
Chris Lemmerman
[Read as single issues]
Carol gets a renumber as part of Marvel Legacy, and then instantly gets shot into another reality for a dark reimagining of the cosmic side of the Marvel universe in this final arc of the Mighty Captain Marvel. Thank god we're ditching that title next time.

This is...okay. Carol's inner monologue is pretty well done, so props to Margaret Stohl for realy getting into the characters head finally. Unfortunately the parodies of the Guardians get very grating very quickly, with
Wing Kee
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry but this run has been...not good.

World: The art is solid, I think this is the best thing of the series, it's not super great but the emotions are portrayed well, I wish there was more sense of motion and splash pages were...well more splash pagey. The world building is okay for this run, it continues the Hala blood storyline and moves it towards and idea of restoring Hala. It is pretty much self contained to the series other than the Alpha Flight Station with the Hydra Cap story. It's
Iris Nevers
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved the MIGHTY CAPTAIN MARVEL series and I'm sad that Marvel Legacy knocked it off course. I feel that this series could have done great things if events and reboots and seeding of future events hadn't make the series loose its vision..
Jenna
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
What an odd Bizarro-land issue. We didn’t have enough time to sell these opposite versions of our cast, let alone that of the Guardians. At first, I thought she had landed in a parallel universe where her television show was the reality. That, I would’ve found entertaining!

Oh well, is that the end of it? Nice art though. I wish I could get my hair to stand up like the Captain’s.
Jen
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I ended up liking this a lot bette than volume one and two. I thought the story was much more fun and interesting, and didn’t seem to drag like the previous volumes.
Andrea Vega
Well, I'm glad this shit is over.
Dakota Morgan
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Oof, Mighty Captain Marvel cannot catch a break with Margaret Stohl as the author. In this out-there volume, Captain Marvel is zipped to an alternate dimension where she must fight inverted versions of the Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a fine, moderately amusing concept, but it doesn't hold up for more than an issue. The mysterious villain is more exciting, and the return of the Kree child from the first volume makes for an intriguing plotline. But like, why didn't Stohl just focus on that? Why ...more
Joseph R.
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Captain Marvel searches for her lost Kree friend Bean only to get sucked into an alternate universe. This new universe is your standard mirror-universe. Here, Captain Marvel is the most wanted outlaw in the galaxy (with the Guardians of the Galaxy running a close second). She has to pretend to be bad and figure out the interpersonal dynamics of everyone's mirror-self in order to get back, let alone find Bean.

The story was a bit too "paint by numbers" for me. I've read and seen lots of mirror-uni
Gerry Sacco
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit disappointing of a run. The art is amazing, and fits Carol Danvers, the jokes are there too, but why these overly convoluted stories that can’t be fleshed out and are rushed? I like how Danvers is, I like the quips, but the story is too big for the small amount of collection. Feels like a bit of a waste, and for such big complicated problems, they’re solved far too quick.
Adam Fisher
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.
How do you get Captain Marvel from the Legacy event to the beginning of Infinity Countdown? Send her to a mirror universe! Where the Guardians are space pirates (complete with Star-Killer, a weak Drax, a Gamora that is much more like Nebula, a more humanoid female Rockette, and Root, a giant Carrot that only says "I am Root"), "Zeta" Flight, and the benevolent and merciful Thanos.
While the story is about Carol trying to save Bean, it focuses a little too much on the other characters, a
Debra Cook
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, own
Captain Marvel goes to a alternate universe where she is a thief to save a friend.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 Stars

I read The Mighty Captain Marvel Vol. 3: Dark Origins as single issues.

This is the last of the Captain Marvel volumes to be released before the Marvel reboot starts affecting her series (presumably, I don’t actually know this for certain). We’ve been told her series will be sticking around, though I imagine we’ll be seeing plot changes based on the events happening in the larger universe around her. It’ll be nice to see her going back to her roots a bit more though, so in an odd way
Scott Lee
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the best of the volumes in this series in my opinion. Carol goes off on her own, and away from the consistently unfunny comedy background of the rest of Alphaflight, she faces a dilemma on her own: she's been thrown into an alternate reality where she's a space pirate in charge of "Zeta Flight." Alternate versions of the Alpha Flight characters are there, with only modest outer changes and a few major personality switches, along with an alternate Guardians of the Galaxy, and, for no reas ...more
Sesana
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: superhumans, comics
One of the worst Mirror Universe rip-offs I've ever seen. At least Stohl basically has Carol's voice down, but the plot is a mess.
Daniel Butcher
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
Closing up this run on Captain Marvel.

Very Star Trek mirror universe which I enjoyed.

Stephanie
Captain Marvel sets out to save her Kree friend, Bean, and ends up in an alternate universe where she is a thief and Thanos is a good guy... weird and kind of confusing.
Amélie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now's the time to be hyped about Captain Marvel. I mean, I'm always hyped about Captain Marvel. But with that movie coming up soon? Now is the time to really be hyped about Captain Marvel.

And thankfully, this specific book did not let my hype down! Loved the plot (even though Alien Nation is so far behind me that I kind of forgot all about the Hala stuff, oops), that kind of things is 100% my jam - not saying more to avoid spoilers.

However... what is it with Marvel and never getting past volume
Tom
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Captain Marvel is my favorite comic character, to the point that my 4 year old even knows it. So when they handed the reins to Margaret Stohl, who doesn't exactly have a stellar track record (I feel like the Black Widow novel series was wasted on her), I was definitely nervous.

A book like this is an exactly what I was worried about. A bland, un-original story (how many times has a mirror dimension been done?), the only upside was Stohl managed to carry forth established Carol-centric elements pr
Ma'Belle
From the second volume of Margaret Stohl's ongoing run of Captain Marvel, I was losing interest and annoyed by the impact of that whole time (was it a full year?) that Steve Rogers was evil and keeping Carol and a bunch of other powerful heroes trapped outside of Earth's atmosphere.

This volume was even worse, focusing on a Bizarro-style universe Carol accidentally flies into. It felt more like an episode of Firefly than a Captain Marvel story, but I don't mean that in a good way (even though I l
Rocky Sunico
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This book was a little confusing in tone and the overall plot made some sense but it just didn't feel as smart as it presented itself to be, if you get my drift. We had the whole alternate universe bit that certainly had fun moments of reinterpreting characters, as is required. But given the timing of the story they really had to rush things along to get things done. So we get some funny bits crammed in-between a lot of narrative dumps all pushing things along.

It's okay but this is not the great
Joshua
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This had some good potential, but didn't really get where I needed it to. The alternate universe had some fun moments, but it seemed like it was mostly played for laughs and the reasoning behind the bad guys going there didn't really make sense based on my understanding of some of the cosmic rules of the greater Marvel universe. The resolution was way too rushed -there's a betrayal and a last minute coming to senses but it all just kind of happens.
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: groot, graphic-novel
Carol Danvers follows her blue MacGuffin Princess into an alternative universe. Alternative universe Groot made me laugh out loud. Root!

I think there was a good idea here but the execution was too much like a 1980s television show. Big things happen but we have to reset the clock at the end of the story so none of it really matters.

Also, all the characters are way too skinny. Even Root!
Tyler
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
My major issue with this arc is Root and Rockette... like I get rockette maybe but Root was just too far out a left field for an arc that is trying to be serious. All in all a good read. Stohl has done some great work with Carol, and the supporting cast is wonderful. I wish the cadets were more involved in this volume.
Andy Zell
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Carol travels to an alternate dimension where the good guys are bad and the bad guys are good. It felt recycled from other stories. On the plus side, I could imagine the members of the Guardians of the Galaxy speaking in the same voices as their movie counterparts. She had the voices down pretty well.
Misbah
A rival sends Captain Marvel to another dimension where everything is opposite. Marvel and her tram are bad guys and Thanos is on a quest of peace through nonviolence. The GOTG make an appearance as pirates.

Even though I like interdimensional travel, this story line has been done to death, nothing new to see here.
Adan
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun ending to Carol’s adventures, even if it made very little sense. Carol finds herself in an alternate universe (for reasons) in which she’s a criminal leading her band of space pirates, Zeta Flight. Also, Groot is actually a carrot named Root. It’s silly, it’s fun, and it doesn’t really mean anything.
Tundextra
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: avengers-book
The Alpha Flight base is no more so the team seek out a way to save Bean only to face Eve and Mim again... and Carol gets drawn into a dark alternative universe. Stohl, in my opinion, still struggles to give this space opera the scope and weight that it deserves, 5 out of 12.
Ryan Laferney
Captain Marvel gets zapped into a mirror universe where she's a thief (and Thanos is good! and Starlord is Starkiller!) while trying to save Bean. It had some funny moments but overall the story-line was sadly bland.

• X-Men Gold, Vol. 4: The Negative Zone War
  • A-Force, Volume 1: Hypertime
  • Spider-Gwen, Vol. 5: Gwenom
  • Invincible Iron Man: Ironheart, Volume 1: Riri Williams
  • All-New Wolverine, Volume 5: Orphans of X
  • Giant Days, Vol. 9 (Giant Days #9)
  • Redlands, Vol. 1
  • Chicks Dig Comics: A Celebration of Comic Books by the Women Who Love Them
  • Captain Marvel, Vol. 1: Rise of Alpha Flight
  • Cyclops, Vol. 1: Starstruck
  • Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Who Is Oracle?
  • Comic Book Nation: The Transformation of Youth Culture in America
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 2
Margaret Stohl is the #1 New York Times, PW, USA Today, LA Times and Internationally bestselling co-author or author of twelve books, including the BEAUTIFUL CREATURES NOVELS, the DANGEROUS CREATURES NOVELS, the ICONS NOVELS, MARVEL'S BLACK WIDOW NOVELS, ROYCE ROLLS & CATS VS ROBOTS THIS IS WAR (forthcoming!) She writes the MIGHTY CAPTAIN MARVEL comic for Marvel Comics (ongoing) and has contri ...more

The Mighty Captain Marvel (Collected Editions) (3 books)
  • The Mighty Captain Marvel, Vol. 1: Alien Nation