Start by marking “Hangman” as Want to Read:
Hangman

Hangman

(Timothy Blake #1)

A 14-year-old boy vanishes on his way home from school. His frantic mother receives a disturbing ransom call. It's only hours before the deadline, and the police have no leads.

Enter Timothy Blake, codename Hangman. Blake is a genius, known for solving impossible cases. He's also a sociopath - the FBI's last resort.

But this time Blake might have met his match. The kidnapper
Published June 12th 2018 by Hanover Square (first published January 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Hangman, please sign up.
Rebecca Alston
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Suzanne
Tough. Raw. No holds barred! Easy 5 stars. A tasty and oh so clever read. Review of the audio version to follow. Hard copy to be purchased. Riddles to read properly and probably shake my head at. No puns! Audio - amazing narrator!

This was a gritty and fabulously horrendously gripping read. Edge of the seat reading from the get go. The Hangman rips apart every likable thing about a protag, but forces you to like him still, even after discovering the despicable obsession; after all he is a psychop
Liz
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book has a totally unbelievable premise about a cannibal with a photographic memory who acts as a consultant for the FBI on missing child cases. With me so far? I’m not going to kid you. There are some really gross scenes in this book. Well, what do you expect when you hear the word cannibal?

The mystery itself is decent. You’re not really sure what’s going on with the current kidnapping cases, if they’re connected or not. Or even if there is a second kidnapping. The writer keeps you guessi
megs_bookrack
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
WICKEDLY entertaining!

Sherlock Holmes meets Hannibal Lecter in this bizarre Adult Thriller.

Let me break this down: our main character is a cannibal (you read that right...a cannibal) who ends up making a deal with an FBI Agent that he will help with investigations in exchange for free bodies from death row inmates.

Why? Why would an FBI Agent want this man working with him you ask? Well, the guy is a freaking genius of course! A modern day Sherlock Holmes with a photographic memory who obvious
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
The guy's exquisitely off the charts in his desperate circumstances and exquisitely ugly needs. Too gruesome for a lot of tastes.

Q:
‘Oh, you haven’t heard that one? The government struck a bargain with a cannibal, and they use him to dispose of bodies after executions.’ …
‘Definitely bullshit,’ I clarify. Then I take another bite out of Nigel Boyd’s thigh. (c)
Q:
I always focus on where I am. This isn’t just about memory. When my mind wanders, I don’t like where it goes. (c)
‘Hey, are you a report
Mark
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Hangman through Goodreads Giveaways thanks to Allen and Unwin and what follows is my honest review.

Hangman is not for the faint-hearted, there is some really difficult material to deal with in this book and I would suggest it is avoided by anyone squeamish. A novel similar in many ways to the Dexter series.

Timothy Blake has a chequered past, both morally and civically. He has a brilliant mind, able of remembering things so very easily and can solve riddles and criminal cases
Maureen Carden
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amusing, fbi, thriller
Books with FBI agents should have their own sub-genre since so many mysteries and thrillers feature the FBI. In addition, FBI books seem to have their own sub-genres. A reader can find no frills crime stories, romantic suspense, paranormal, “profiler”, prepper FBI, criminal FBI agents, espionage FBI agent, undercover agent, trashy love stories, and now there is Hangman. Hangman deserves its own category.
This is going to be very hard to rate. Hangman was very well written with a great plot. Altho
Sandy
Whoa…what did I just read? Before I start my blab, first things first. This is a well written & gripping crime/suspense story with a compelling MC. But…it’s not for the squeably. Seriously. Ok, we’re going in.

Timothy Blake is not your typical FBI consultant. He has little education, lives with a paranoid drug dealer & has about $5 to his name. Years ago he had a run-in with a cop named Peter Luzhin that left a lasting impression on both of them. Luzhin is now director of the FBI office i
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Oh, you haven’t heard that one? The government struck a bargain with a cannibal, and they use him to dispose of bodies after executions.”

When the FBI is having a hard time solving a case, they have someone they'll reach out to as a last resort. You may wonder why it has to be a last resort if it'd help solve the case in the first place - well, when the payment for help is a fresh body from death row to fulfill the civilian consultant's craving of human flesh, that might explain it.

Timothy Bla
Brenda
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised that I enjoyed this book!

As the main character, Timothy Blake, tells his story, we learn about his childhood, upbringing, and lifestyle. He is not an agent, but he works with a certain FBI Field Office Director to find kidnapped children. He is rewarded if he is successful. He is unlike any character I’ve ever come across, and the author got me to like him!

After some initial reservations, I found this book to be an addictive read. The kidnap-for-ransom case Blake is invol
Kendall
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This was a unique novel that definitely isn't for the faint of heart. Not even a little bit... I'm warning you to read at your own risk haha.
Blake works for the FBI as a consultant and well... Blake is a cannibal. Yup... not sugar coating anything. Blake's parents were brutally murdered as child and he lived on the streets fighting for survival. He started to begin an odd habit of eating human flesh. Blake is brilliant at his gut instinct and reading right through people. He solves a defini
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I have to say, Hangman was the 99th book I've read so far this year, and is right up there with some of my favorites of the year. It was dark, twisted, and I loved every second of it! I'm a huge fan of thrillers that have really macabre elements to them, and this was definitely fit the bill.

I don't want to give away much, because I think this book is best gone into pretty blind, but I want to say that I was so conflicted about my feelings about Blake! On one hand, he's a sociopath with a horrib
Marianne
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
“Right now, the cops will be scraping my blood off the fence and my hair off the headrest in the car. Soon they’ll be searching databases for my DNA. I’ve been careful, so I’m hoping they won’t find any matches. But you can only eat so many people before someone notices. Maybe I left a trace somewhere. Maybe some cop has been hunting me for years, and this is his big break.”

Hangman is the first adult novel by award-winning Australian author, Jack Heath. Timothy Blake is a consultant for the FBI.
Krystal
THIS IS SO MESSED UP I LOVE IT.

Blake, aka Hangman, is a totally despicable character but he knows it and that made it okay for me to like him. It means pretty brilliant writing that an author can create a character this messed up and still have me rooting for him!

Blake's trying to help the FBI find a missing kid, but he has his own reasons for doing so, and those reasons are so disturbing and so of course that leads to a highly addictive thriller

I LOVED IT.

Every second.

Blake is disturbing, b
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Holy mother of all things twisted, gruesome, macabre, crazy and AWESOME. I haven't read a book this good in a while. Why is it so good? Well, it brings us a unique and sociopathic lead character that for all purposes you should hate but I LOVE. LOVE! I shouldn't, but I'm dark and twisted so I can't help myself.

All the surprises that the author brings - I didn't see a single damn thing. At the end of Chapter Four, the last line... I had to do a double take and then flip back to pages to see if w
Heather
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bianca
In order to enjoy this novel, the ability to suspend one's disbelief is highly recommended. Those who read my reviews know that I'm not particularly apt at that. While listening to this, I kept thinking "oh, this wouldn't happen, this is unlikely."

Other than that and the cannibalism, this wasn't too bad. I mean I finished it, so that's something.
I enjoyed the riddles at the beginning of the chapters - not that I tried to solve them. There were a few interesting information tidbits and the pace
Janelle
Thank you so much to Hanover Square Press and Harlequin Books for providing my free copy of HANGMAN by Jack Heath - all opinions are my own.

So this is different. I’m not exactly sure where to start but think Dexter, meets Sherlock Holmes, meets Hannibal Lecter. Intrigued? There is a depth of depravity to this thriller that I LOVE. It’s grisly, vile, menacing, horrendous in nature, and insanely CLEVER.

When called upon, Timothy Blake assists the FBI on crucial and difficult cases. He’s not an agen
Monnie
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy carnivore, Batman - this book's a killer!

FBI "consultant" Timothy Blake is Dexter and Hannibal Lecter melded together and on speed. In case you're wondering, yes, that makes for some pretty gory details, so if your idea of a tasty lunch isn't somebody's left arm, you might want to skip this one. For everybody else, though, it's a bone-ified winner.

After surviving what is easily an horrific childhood, Blake runs afoul of the law. But he gets a reprieve of sorts when he's offered a deal too g
Nat K
”It was him or me,” I said. “Don’t make it me or you.”

An enigma who solves puzzles for the challenge and pocket money. A loner who is a civilian consultant who helps the FBI solve crimes they’re unable to.

Timothy Blake is a bit of a savant who carries a very dark secret with him. From other reviews posted here on bookreads, I’m sure you’ve all worked out what this is.
So I won’t spell it out. Let me say that this book caught me completely unawares, it’s so far left of centre. When his “secret” is
Anne
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! You had me at Dexter meets Hannibal Lecter. Definitely not for the faint of heart, this novel took my breath away! What a premise! He works as a consultant for the FBI but his reward is unusual: often an inmate on death row as he is lethally injected. Yes, Blake is a cannibal. Born to parents who were brutally murdered when he was an infant, he lived on the streets for years and cannot control his urges for human flesh. But part of me found his character--while not actually lovable--at leas ...more
Stef (Noveltea Corner)
Thanks to the publisher for sending me a review copy!

Hangman is a fascinating - and gruesome - story of a criminal working for the FBI.

Timothy Blake is not your regular protagonist - he’s not a hero, he’s a criminal, and his dark urges are the root of twisted blackmail scheme that sees him helping solve troubling cases for the FBI. He’s whip-smart, and is able to solve just about any puzzles, but he also harbours a dark secret, one that could see him imprisoned if it’s revealed.

Brought in on a c
Adah Udechukwu
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hangman is a great novel. Its twists and turns were spectacular
Shelly
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussie-authors
Oh, I really am unsure what I think of this one.

Let me start by saying, it's not for the faint-hearted. I like a dark and twisted thriller as much as the next person but if you are even the tiniest bit squeamish, this may not be your cup of tea.. or your plate of food, in this case.

It's Hannibal Lecter meets Dexter and the book puts you in the unenviable position of both being disgusted by this anti-hero and cheering for him at the same time.

I found myself loving and hating this book all at the
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Australian writer Jack Heath is an established YA author living in Canberra and Hangman is his first adult novel in my new favourite series featuring anti-hero Tim Blake. Blake is a despicable investigator contracted to the FBI as a last resort to solve crimes other FBI agents cannot. A psychopath with a dark secret, Blake's assistance comes with a steep price.

Recipe for Hangman by Jack Heath
Step 1. Take the pace of any James Patterson or Matthew Reilly novel.
Step 2. Add a gruesome yet likeable
Donna
High octane thriller. Want a strong male protagonist? Timothy Blake is a dangerous monster with a somewhat twisted social conscience.

He's the underdog with a codename, Hangman. Not on the FBI's payroll yet helps them solve the tough cases. A life on the streets has resulted in Blake's reliance on all his senses for self preservation. These heightened skills assist the FBI with tracking and anticipating criminal minds and motives. Successful outcome means sweetmeat [pun] for Blake.

He ends up in
Frances Watts
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not for the faint-hearted, but it's an absolute ripper! (Actually, I AM faint-hearted, but I still loved it!) It's fast-paced, funny and edge-of-your-seat compelling.
Lisa
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book! Argh...! I loved this book! I finished about a week ago, and it was a firm 4 star rating. But, I'm still thinking about Timothy Blake. He's so psychologically damaged with these cannibalistic compulsions that are out of control. Seriously, I would not want to be anywhere near this man. He just might eat me. Sure, I'd be stringy, and not very palatable, but he'd want to bite into me just the same! He's got a deal where if he solves a crime and saves a life, then he gets to eat someone. ...more
Linda
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I surprised myself by really liking this book, the main character, after all, eats people. Timothy Blake is a psychopath, he craves human flesh. He works in cohorts with an FBI agent who fakes death row inmates deaths, so Blake can eat them. In return Blake has to find missing children. No child, no reward.
It all sounds ghastly but as the story is told from Timothy’s point of view it is funny and mesmerising and absurdly enjoyable.
When a wealthy boy goes missing, Blake might have met his match a
Maddie
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hangman is a great read - startlingly violent, darkly funny and filled with incredible detail. I can’t lie; I gasped at some of the more graphic moments, but in spite of this, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

Timothy Blake is a nuanced antihero. I found it hard to like him (understandably; he doesn’t even like himself), but at the same time, I was rooting for him as he tried to solve the series of kidnappings.

I’m already looking forward to the next instalment - although I might try out vegetarian
As of February 2018, Jack Heath is the fourth bestselling fiction author in Australia. His twenty action-packed novels have been translated into several languages and optioned for film and television.

Jack fell in love with reading in primary school, when an ear infection left him unable to do much else. In high school he was frustrated by the slow pace and lack of excitement in most teenage fictio

Timothy Blake (2 books)