Start by marking “Thieves on The Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #8)” as Want to Read:
Thieves on The Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #8)

Thieves on The Fens

(DI Nikki Galena #8)

Do you love gripping detective mysteries? Then try this book by a #1 best-selling author now. You won't be able to put it down. By an author everyone's talking about.

DI Nikki Galena gets a series of anonymous calls. She is told the place, time, and who will die.

Published November 26th 2017 by Joffe Books Mystery, Crime Thriller, Suspense Fiction

Start your review of Thieves on The Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #8)
Louise Wilson
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 8th book in the DI Nikki Galena series.

DI Nikki Galena starts getting anonymous calls where she is told the place, time and who will die. But the messages are in a secret language used only by villains. Meanwhile, the Fens have been hit by a series of "designer burglaries". A new gang of thieves are stealing to order. Then a family friend dies suddenly and perhaps suspiciously.

This is a fast paced book that action packed, with plenty of twist and turns and a plot line that's
Cheryl
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb ...... Joy Ellis at her best!
Linda Strong

DI Nikki Galena and her team are back at work. There's a band of thieves preying on home owners but they only take certain items. The question is .. how do they know where and when those items are available?

Things take a surprising turn when Nikki receives a note informing her of an impending murder associated with the thieves. And the message is not a bluff .... a murder occurs but what's their connection to the thieves?

Nikki's attention is being split in two ... two of her mother's friends
Books 'n' All  Promotions
Joy Ellis is one of my favourite authors and her books just get better and better so I knew this book would not disappoint. I did not, however, expect to be so totally gripped from the very first page. So much going on, complex plots and we got down deep and personal with the characters very early on in the story absolutely, jaw-droppingly brilliant.

This is part of a series but the author expertly ensures that they can be read as stand-alone and she does so in a way that doesn’t involve
Nicki
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

But the messages are in a secret language used only by villains. Nikki and her team must decode the riddles and work out where the threats are coming from.

Meanwhile, the Fens have been hit by a series of “designer burglaries.” It appears that a new gang of thieves are stealing to order.

And things get very close to home when a friend of Nikki’s mother dies suddenly and perhaps suspiciously.

Are any of
Books 'n' All  Promotions

Vicki - I Love Reading
Joy Ellis – Thieves on the fens.
What a book, I love this series; I mean I really love this series. Here we are at book 8, and I have to say personally I think these books should be read in order. I’m not saying you couldn’t read as standalone, but to get the full background story which I feel really does make a difference here, then they really are best read in order.
Nikki Galena and Joseph Easter, a first class crime solving partnership. I find these two characters just amazing, the way they
Anupama C K(b0rn_2_read)
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-netgalley
I love female detectives. This one is about Nikki Galena and her team. It is the 8th book in the series, but can be read as a standalone. There a set of thieves stealing prized items, there is a psychotic killer killing thieves and on top of all that Nikki's mother Eve is grieving her best friend Jenny's death. Eve suspects that Jenny didn't die of natural causes

Who killed Jenny?
Why is the killer targetting thieves?
Will Nikki catch the house burglars?

It was a fast paced suspense novel. I enjoyed
Lisa
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was oddly pretty damn good! Why oddly? Well, I'll tell ya', but I'm not even sure I understand it myself. Everybody was likable. Cop's. Villains. Secondary characters, and.........eck. There wasn't even a boss cop who was an asshole. Weird. Yet, it was a nice change. Also, no clue was given to who the bad person was. I hate that! I spend the whole book trying to piece together clues, then pftt., like a handful of smoke, it's just gone! Damn it!!!! But I'll hand it to the author, this ...more
Donna Maguire

I am a massive fan of this series and I think the books just keep getting better and better!

The book is fast-paced and gripped me right from the start - plenty of suspense, thrills and lots of twists and turns, the 'on the fens' series is definitely one of my favourites at the moment and this book is a great addition to that series!

The books draws you in and I didn't want to put t down until I'd finished - the characterisation was great as normal and it
Annette
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great novel for me -- perhaps for you, as well. I'm a fan of Joy Ellis but so far this book goes above and beyond because it features a group of 60-something women who are exceptionally good at what they do (former spy-types, military experts, etc) and the friendship is beautifully portrayed. When the crones work together with the cops, good things happen. Thanks, Ms Ellis, for writing this one for me!
Amanda
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have another confession to make. (At this rate I should have my own confessional box), I have never read any of Joy’s books before. I know that’s shocking right? Well rest assured that I am now one of her biggest fans as I enjoyed ‘Thieves On The Fens’ so much. I love discovering new series’ and I particularly love discovering that there are 7 books prior to the one I am reviewing here. Anyway more of the fan girling in a bit.
I took to DI Nikki Galena from the start. She is feisty, she is
Joyce
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

I read the Kindle edition.

DI Nikki Galena and her team are looking into a series of burglaries in the area. Once mapped out, the thieves are hitting far and wide. They seem to be stealing to order. At the same time, Nikki and DS Joseph Easter are receiving strange phone calls. A sinister voice seems to be telling them that someone is about to be killed. One of the older detectives on the team identifies the “language” used in the phone calls as a dialect that used to be popular in the
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
The book opens with Nikki receiving a threatening phone call from someone claiming that they were about to kill someone. If that wasn’t enough to deal with, Nikki and her team are trying to solve a bunch of home invasions where the thieves only take certain expensive items. Nikki’s mother Eve, a former ministry of defence agent, is dealing with her own loss of her best friend but is it a heart attack like everyone suspects? It quickly becomes apparent that this is not the first suspicious death. ...more
Emma
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
DI Nikki Galena is back and I couldn’t be happier as she is one of my favourite female detectives and the “on the Fens” series, one of my favourites too.

There are some many things to love, including that they all start with a bang, something to make you want to keep reading on. Here, it’s a call to Nikkifrom a mysterious man speaking in thieves’ cant, an old fashioned secret code (think cockney rhyming slang). People, he says are going to die – and he is going to be the one doing the killing.

It
Ashley Gillan
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite things about Joy Ellis’ work is how complex, yet non-confusing, her stories are. You’re completely absorbed, trying to work it all out, and it’s just enough to keep your mind moving and working.

“Thieves on the Fens” is no exception, with plenty of subplots to keep readers not only intrigued, but anxiously waiting for the next installment.

This book is part of a series but can indeed be read as a stand-alone.

The main plot involves a series of mysterious phone calls heroine Nikki
Sid
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read anything by this author previously but will certainly be reading more. I was hooked from the start, well plotted and wonderful characters. This was a real page turner with so many twists and turns and kept me guessing all the way.
It's a really good book,.it draws you in and is difficult to put down. I had been threatening to read the books but I finally picked up the last book and started as they can be read individually. But rest assured I'll be reading the rest of the books
Joann
The last book in the series! I prefer to start with the 1st book, because that's the best way to get to know the key players and I read them in order. I have grown to love this series for it's great writing and for Nikki and Joseph and all the people that are under their command.
There are two stories running side by side which make it an interesting read full of twists and turns. The author always has her endings pretty well sewn up to satisfy your lingering questions.
Will we find romance
Pen
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read many of Joy Ellis books and come to the conclusion that she is an author who is either careless or lazy. Her books are full of typos and misuse of words, she calls her main characters by the wrong name or rank, and she doesn't seem to do her research. In this book she talks about mental health treatment but clearly has no idea. She repeatedly refers to women in the police force as WPCs (women police constables) even though that's a term not used since 1999. In other books she has ...more
Amanda  Gee
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read anything by this author previously but will certainly be reading more. I was hooked from the start, well plotted and fabulous characterisation which is very important to me. The book is fast paced with plenty of twists and turns and keeps you guessing.
It's what I would call a good, cosy read. It draws you in and is difficult to put down. Part of a series but I had no problem with not having read any of the others, something I plan on remedying soon.
Christopher Roden
Joy Ellis always delivers the goods! This one is no exception. An excellent read.
Tom Waters
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
PInspiring

Joy Ellis is top of the leader board for me I have enjoyed every book she has written and look forward to reading many more
Robin Bray
This stands for all of Joy Ellis's books I've read so far. Also, spoilers (sort of) ahead!

I really enjoy the writing and core characters in the Nikki Galena series, but I'm pretty tired of "the killer was maaaad" storyline, to the point where I'm not overly interested in reading more of Ellis's work.
Jen
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone is targeting thieves and calling DI Nikki Galena giving details that might help her prevent a murder. Not that Mad Tom always plays the rules; he certainly cheats on the first play in his game. Nikki and her team scramble to interpret the messages and protect the intended victims.

In the meantime, a dear friend of Nikki's mother Eve dies of a sudden heart attack. Eve, who has a background with the RAF and the MOD is devastated, but also uneasy. This is the second death among a circle of
Elaine Tomasso
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Joffe Books for a review copy of Thieves on the Fens, the eighth novel to feature DI Nikki Galena and DS Joseph Easter of the Licolnshire Police.

Nikki is getting threatening phone calls, not unusual in her line of work but the tone and unusual vocabulary used are unsettling and she feels she has no option but to take them seriously when the team decode one as threatening murder. In the meantime Nikki's mother, Eve, is distressed and suspicious about the death
Marion
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the very first page we are drawn into an intriguing mystery in this next offering in the Fens series feraturing DI Nikki Galena and her team.
A series of burglaries are taking place, all for high profile items. It seems to be an organised team of thieves.
Then Nikki gets a sinister phone call telling her that someone is going to be killed. Odd terms are used in what one of the older members of the team recognise as "cant" an dialect used by thieves in the 1500`s to pass secret messages
Beth A. Poland
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book with lots going on to keep the action going

First off I would like to say that I have read all of Joy Ellis' books and loved them all! This is a modern day British who done it and there are two mysteries going on simultaneously plus a third sideline adding even more interest.

Nikki Galena and Joseph Easter are together again solving a mystery or so that is hitting close to home. This is my favorite pair of detectives and I always am eagerly awaiting the next episode. This time Nikki's
Joanna Larum
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first found Joy Ellis through an advert on Facebook from Joffe Books. It was on offer and the blurb sounded good so I bought it. Little did I realise then that I was going to find an author who can captivate me with her writing from the very first line of each book. I've now read 5 of them and I will be buying the rest as I am now a fan forever.
In this book, Nikki Galena and her team,( Joseph, Cat and Ben the major characters in the team) have a double problem to solve - a team of burglars who
Carole Gourlay
Well, what can I say, I just LOVE Joy’s books, they are well written, thrilling and just so enjoyable. The characters, as I’ve said on all my reviews are so likeable and they work well together.

The story starts off with someone phoning Nikki anonymously and telling her in a coded message that someone will die and when. Then there are a spate of burglaries and her old friend Mickey helps her out.

When one of her mum, Eve’s friends suddenly dies an unexplained death, things start to get personal.
Debbie
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So loved this book once again Joy Ellis has managed to capture the essence of a good book.
The Characters as usual are full of life and as you are reading about them, they almost feel like a member of the family and you want to see how their lives pan out and what happens to them as they get older.

The story itself is fantastic and has great intrigue with a couple of very good twists. I like the way that DI Galena's mother becomes again a main character in this story, along with her RAF Friends
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dark Skies (DCI Ryan Mysteries #7)
  • Murder in the Meadow (DI Hillary Greene, #7)
  • A Narrow Margin of Error (DI Hillary Greene, #13)
  • Murder in the Family (DI Hillary Greene, #5)
  • With a Narrow Blade (DI Hillary Greene, #6)
  • Murder of the Bride (DI Hillary Greene, #3)
  • Murder in the Village (DI Hillary Greene, #4)
  • Borderlands (DCI Ryan Mysteries #14)
  • Evil Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #6)
  • Dark Angel (DI Greco, #4)
  • Penshaw (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #13)
  • Murder Never Misses (DI Hillary Greene, #14)
  • Down A Narrow Path (DI Hillary Greene, #8)
  • Murder Never Retires (DI Hillary Greene, #12)
  • Murder at Midnight (DI Hillary Greene, #15)
  • Seven Bridges (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #8)
  • A Narrow Point of View (DI Hillary Greene, #10)
  • The Work of a Narrow Mind (DI Hillary Greene, #16)
Joy Ellis grew up in Kent but moved to London when she won an apprenticeship with the prestigious Mayfair flower shop, Constance Spry Ltd.
Many years later, having run her own florist shop in Weybridge, Ellis took part in a writer’s workshop in Greece and was encouraged by her tutor, Sue Townsend to begin writing seriously. She now lives in the Lincolnshire Fens with her partner Jacqueline and

DI Nikki Galena (10 books)
  • Crime on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #1)
  • Shadow Over the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #2)
  • Hunted on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #3)
  • Killer on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #4)
  • Stalker on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #5)
  • Captive on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #6)
  • Buried on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #7)
  • Fire on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #9)
  • Darkness on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #10)
“Through the branches of the overhanging trees, the breeze whispered the answer. No one heard.” 1 likes
“rural webfoots, but they turned to crime in a big way.’ Dave grinned. ‘I once heard them referred to as a” 0 likes