Start by marking “You're Safe With Me” as Want to Read:
You're Safe With Me

You're Safe With Me

When the moon rises high and the stars twinkle, it is bedtime for the baby animals of the Indian forest. But tonight, when the skies turn dark and the night grows stormy, the little ones can't sleep. SWISH-SWISH! CRACK-TRACK! FLASH-SNAP! goes the storm. Only Mama Elephant with her words of wisdom can reassure them, "You're safe with me."
Published April 1st 2018 by Lantana Publishing

To ask other readers questions about You're Safe With Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're Safe With Me

Start your review of You're Safe With Me
Julie
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
To be fully appreciated this book must be read aloud, preferably with a little one on your lap. I loved the explanations the mama elephant gives and the reassurances she whispers, and the illustrations are like none other that I have seen. They are truly beautiful.
Helen
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
After thoroughly enjoying You’re Snug With Me recently, I wanted to give this edition ago. Both books are relatively similar, so if you liked one, you’re going to like the other. In You’re Safe With Me mama elephant soothes the baby animals of the Indian forest while a storm passes. My only bug bear was the story was unrealistic to nature with different animal species helping each other but others might overlook that with it being aimed at the very young. They illustrations are breathtaking, and ...more
BrookesEducationLibrary
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
This, at times overwhelming, beautiful picture book is so lovely, it is a perfect little book to help those who may be afraid of storms or bad weather.
Really interesting and different, well worth a read just for the pleasure of seeing such intricate illustrations!
Alex  Baugh
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On a dark and stormy night, the baby animals in the jungle are scared - of the wind huffing and puffing and blowing the trees, of the loud thunder claps, of the lightening that sparkles in the night sky, and of the water rushing in the river.

Luckily for a little monkey, a baby loris, a tiger cub, and a young pangolin, a large, but gentle mama elephant comes along, and tenderly rocks them to sleep cradled in her truck. As she rocks them, she offers soothing words whenever the babies wake up whimp
Melki
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidstuff
Poonam Mistry's artwork is SO STUNNING, that I barely noticed the story. This is one to look at again, and again, and again.

Lynn
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely stunning art work with glowing colors and intricate designs! Opening each page was like unwrapping a jewel. Lovely lyrical text with many embedded sounds makes this a read-aloud delight. Perfect for bedtime stories and as a gorgeous example of books from other cultures.

I'm on a mission to learn more about how the illustrations were created.
Allie
SO BEAUTIFUL. This is a really wonderful and gentle bedtime story that I think would be a great read for babies on up! The story is so simple that it would be a nice bedtime story for a little one. But the illustrations are so lush that it would also be an enjoyable read for an older child as well.
Kimberly
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gorrrrrgeous. My son loves this one too. The page with the lightning is spectacular.
Mathew
What a beautiful book! Mistry's illustrations are engrossing, vibrant and invite you to look carefully and closely. When the baby animals find it difficult to sleep at night, Mama elephant takes them in her trunk and sheds light on the mysteries of the night. Why thunder clatters, the wind moans and lightning sparkles are all explained by Mama elephant in a way that honours both pourquoi stories and animal tales. Soundar's ability to pick up on rhythm and repetition, noises and harmonies in the ...more
S
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, beautiful bedtime story to keep little ones from getting to scared of nature sounds.
Luann
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
FABULOUS illustrations! Worth reading just for the illustrations, although the text is really nice, too. Great for a bedtime book.
Abigail
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Soothing & Beautifully-Illustrated Bedtime Books
When the animals of the jungle can't get to sleep, it is gentle Mama Elephant who soothes them in this lovely bedtime book from author Chitra Soundar and illustrator Poonam Mistry. As they grow frightened at various natural phenomena, from thunder to rain, she continually assures them that they are safe in her care...

One of three such picture-book collaborations between Soundar and Poonam - others include You're Snug with Me and You're Strong with Me - You're Safe With Me is an absolutel
Christina Reid
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had to pick this up because of the glorious illustrations and the reassuring message - this would make a perfect bedtime story! I now really want to read You're Snug With Me as well because it is bound to be just as visually stunning.
I loved the inclusion of lots of different animals, especially my much-loved pangolin as almost nobody I know has heard of them.
This would be a lovely way of addressing common concerns and soothing children back to sleep.
Scottsdale Public Library
The story is lovely: Mama Elephant soothes the baby animals back to bed, who are frightened by the sounds and lightning of a nighttime storm. I highly recommend this book for the illustrations as well. Poonam Mistry's use of color and design is amazing! -Sara Z.
Villain E
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful artwork. Mama elephant babysits a number of forest animals. They get scared of the sounds of the wind and the rain and Mama Elephant reassures them. Doesn't come to a real ending.
Peacegal
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely mesmerized by the frame-ready illustrations. I'd have been just as happy with this book if it was just illustrations alone. Unique, calming, surreal and dreamlike.
Erin
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
5 stars for the artwork. 3 stars for the text.
Becky
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The illustrations are GORGEOUS if not a bit overwhelming at times. Good weather/nature sounds are included in the text and reassuring Mama Elephant can be a great comfort for a kid who needs some reassurance or as a great way to wind down before bedtime. I wish there was a bit more of an ending though. Seemed a tad abrupt.
Bev
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly one of the most beautiful picture books I've ever seen, the mandala like illustrations by Poonam Mistry are all worthy of framing and hanging on your wall. Chitra Soundar's words read like poetry and the voice of wise Mama Elephant is soothing and comforting as she reassures the frightened young ones that all is well. Just gorgeous.
charlene.librarian
This book is illustrated with lush images in a style of traditional Indian art. Although the intricacies of the illustration are beautiful, I found it difficult to pick out the animals or other items mentioned in the text. I think some children might be distracted by the details of the illustration and not readily connect the images with the text.
Beverly
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-mammals
Mama Elephant comforts and soothes baby Tiger, baby Pangolin, baby Loris and baby Monkey during a thunderstorm. She explains the positives of wind, thunder, lightning, and the gurgling of the river which had frightened the babies. The gorgeous illustrations are highly stylized, with bright colors and geometric shapes, all heavily influenced by traditional Indian artwork.
A Severs
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little more folklore-y than You're Snug With Me - some fantastically illustrated baby animals are comforted by Mama Elephant as she explains the benefits of the scary things in the world around them: lightning, the river, wind... Another feast for the eyes!
Dax
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, children-s
The artwork in this is absolutely gloriously beautiful! I appreciated this book from start to finish! Also, pangolins should be in every story!!
Tessa
I will follow Poonam Mistry anywhere she chooses to go.
Ellie Labbett
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Under the fall of darkness, the sounds and sights of the natural world become all the more frightening for the baby animals trying to sleep. Unsettled by the clattering of thunder and flickering of lightening, Mama Elephant reassures the young that the unnerving behaviour of the weather is happening for a reason, with a comforting story to explain the activity taking place beyond what the animals can see.
Atmospheric and soothing, the intricate patterns and embellishments within the illustrati
BooksForTopics
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A captivating picture book that marries a lyrical and rhythmic story about bedtime fears with striking artwork inspired by Indian folklore.

It is bedtime for the baby animals; the dark blanket sky is filled with an enormous moon and twinkling stars. But the comforting allure of night time soon gives way to fears when the winds rise and a thunder storm begins to set in. “You’re Safe With Me,” reassures Mama Elephant, as she explains the natural processes behind each stage of the storm, from the wa
Tasha
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
On a dark and stormy night, the little animals could not call asleep. Mama Elephant stayed with them. She rocked them in her trunk, repeating “You’re safe with me.” The wind moaned in the trees, awakening the little animals. Mama Elephant explained that the wind carries seeds from faraway into the forest. Thunder sounded startling the little animals. Mama Elephant explained that with thunder comes the rain that waters the seeds from the wind. Lightning flashed and Mama Elephant soothed the littl ...more
Barbara
With every page of this picture book filled with sumptuously-detailed illustrations that are so intricate that each small part must have taken hours to complete, this picture book offers reassurance to anyone who has ever been frightened--and who among us has not experienced at least a small moment of anxiety? As a storm looms over the jungle and grows closer and louder, several small animals are frightened. But Mama Elephant arrives on the scene and provides reassurance, gently rocking them, hu ...more
Alice Bennett
The vibrant, engaging illustrations in this book will encourage children to look closely and see what they can find hidden in the colourful pages. The story is ideal for a Reception class as they will be able to relate to the baby animal's fears of the dark, the scary noises at night and the loud thunder cracking in the sky above.

The book follows a pattern where the animals express their different fears one by one and each time the mother calms them with a beautiful story about why something is
Stephanie Bange
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An impossibly beautiful lullaby story -- text and illustrations.

At night, the baby animals are trying to go to sleep. However the night grows stormy, with the wind picking up, the thunder booming, the lightning flashing and the river gurgling as the rain fell. Each causes the little ones to give pause to their surroundings. Mama Elephant, who was just walking by, scoops them up in her trunk and reassures them that they are safe with her whenever they express fear, calming them down until they fi
« previous 1 3 next »

• Nimesh the Adventurer
  • Crab Cake: Turning the Tide Together
  • Me And My Fear
  • The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse
Chitra Soundar is originally from the culturally colourful India where traditions, festivals and mythology are a way of life. After six great years in the island city-state Singapore, Chitra now lives in London.

Chitra's primary interest is in writing picture books and early & emergent readers. She enjoys retelling funny folktales from around the world, especially from India.

News & Interviews