Start by marking “You're Safe With Me” as Want to Read:
You're Safe With Me

You're Safe With Me

When the moon rises high and the stars twinkle, it is bedtime for the baby animals of the Indian forest. But tonight, when the skies turn dark and the night grows stormy, the little ones can't sleep. SWISH-SWISH! CRACK-TRACK! FLASH-SNAP! goes the storm. Only Mama Elephant with her words of wisdom can reassure them, "You're safe with me."
Published April 1st 2018 by Lantana Publishing

To ask other readers questions about You're Safe With Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're Safe With Me

Julie
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
To be fully appreciated this book must be read aloud, preferably with a little one on your lap. I loved the explanations the mama elephant gives and the reassurances she whispers, and the illustrations are like none other that I have seen. They are truly beautiful.
BrookesEducationLibrary
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
This, at times overwhelming, beautiful picture book is so lovely, it is a perfect little book to help those who may be afraid of storms or bad weather.
Really interesting and different, well worth a read just for the pleasure of seeing such intricate illustrations!
Kimberly
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gorrrrrgeous. My son loves this one too. The page with the lightning is spectacular.
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
On a dark and stormy night, the baby animals in the jungle are scared - of the wind huffing and puffing and blowing the trees, of the loud thunder claps, of the lightening that sparkles in the night sky, and of the water rushing in the river.

Luckily for a little monkey, a baby loris, a tiger cub, and a young pangolin, a large, but gentle mama elephant comes along, and tenderly rocks them to sleep cradled in her truck. As she rocks them, she offers soothing words whenever the babies wake up whimp
Lynn
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely stunning art work with glowing colors and intricate designs! Opening each page was like unwrapping a jewel. Lovely lyrical text with many embedded sounds makes this a read-aloud delight. Perfect for bedtime stories and as a gorgeous example of books from other cultures.

I'm on a mission to learn more about how the illustrations were created.
Mathew
What a beautiful book! Mistry's illustrations are engrossing, vibrant and invite you to look carefully and closely. When the baby animals find it difficult to sleep at night, Mama elephant takes them in her trunk and sheds light on the mysteries of the night. Why thunder clatters, the wind moans and lightning sparkles are all explained by Mama elephant in a way that honours both pourquoi stories and animal tales. Soundar's ability to pick up on rhythm and repetition, noises and harmonies in the ...more
Scottsdale Public Library
The story is lovely: Mama Elephant soothes the baby animals back to bed, who are frightened by the sounds and lightning of a nighttime storm. I highly recommend this book for the illustrations as well. Poonam Mistry's use of color and design is amazing! -Sara Z.
Sam
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, beautiful bedtime story to keep little ones from getting to scared of nature sounds.
Luann
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
FABULOUS illustrations! Worth reading just for the illustrations, although the text is really nice, too. Great for a bedtime book.
Peacegal
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely mesmerized by the frame-ready illustrations. I'd have been just as happy with this book if it was just illustrations alone. Unique, calming, surreal and dreamlike.
Erin
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
5 stars for the artwork. 3 stars for the text.
Ellie Labbett
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Under the fall of darkness, the sounds and sights of the natural world become all the more frightening for the baby animals trying to sleep. Unsettled by the clattering of thunder and flickering of lightening, Mama Elephant reassures the young that the unnerving behaviour of the weather is happening for a reason, with a comforting story to explain the activity taking place beyond what the animals can see.
Atmospheric and soothing, the intricate patterns and embellishments within the illustrati
BooksForTopics
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A captivating picture book that marries a lyrical and rhythmic story about bedtime fears with striking artwork inspired by Indian folklore.

It is bedtime for the baby animals; the dark blanket sky is filled with an enormous moon and twinkling stars. But the comforting allure of night time soon gives way to fears when the winds rise and a thunder storm begins to set in. “You’re Safe With Me,” reassures Mama Elephant, as she explains the natural processes behind each stage of the storm, from the wa
Tasha
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
On a dark and stormy night, the little animals could not call asleep. Mama Elephant stayed with them. She rocked them in her trunk, repeating “You’re safe with me.” The wind moaned in the trees, awakening the little animals. Mama Elephant explained that the wind carries seeds from faraway into the forest. Thunder sounded startling the little animals. Mama Elephant explained that with thunder comes the rain that waters the seeds from the wind. Lightning flashed and Mama Elephant soothed the littl ...more
Barbara
With every page of this picture book filled with sumptuously-detailed illustrations that are so intricate that each small part must have taken hours to complete, this picture book offers reassurance to anyone who has ever been frightened--and who among us has not experienced at least a small moment of anxiety? As a storm looms over the jungle and grows closer and louder, several small animals are frightened. But Mama Elephant arrives on the scene and provides reassurance, gently rocking them, hu ...more
Stephanie Bange
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An impossibly beautiful lullaby story -- text and illustrations.

At night, the baby animals are trying to go to sleep. However the night grows stormy, with the wind picking up, the thunder booming, the lightning flashing and the river gurgling as the rain fell. Each causes the little ones to give pause to their surroundings. Mama Elephant, who was just walking by, scoops them up in her trunk and reassures them that they are safe with her whenever they express fear, calming them down until they fi
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*

Cross-posted from Kiss the Book reviewer's personal Goodreads account

Soundar, Chitra You're Safe With Me, illustrated by Poonam Mistry, 32 pages. PICTURE BOOK Lantana Publishing, 2018. $18.

EL (K-3) ADVISABLE

The baby animals are afraid to go to sleep - the sounds of the jungle keep waking them. But when Mama Elephant comes and holds them in her trunk, she explains how all the sounds are really comforting.

Jj
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The illustrations here are stunning. The text is simple but fine for bedtime. But did you notice which animals are in this book? That's right: Elephant, Tiger, and.... a PANGOLIN and a LORIS!!! I am so excited just typing those words on a screen. A lovely book which includes some very underappreciated and endangered animals? YES! This is going to be handed over to families with Anna Dewdney's Roly Poly Pangolin in my personal campaign to increase awareness of pangolins through children's literat ...more
Lisa
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The illustrations are traditional and so detailed. This comforting bedtime story is perfect for a stormy night, and the illustrations are so intricate the book can be enjoyed slowly. So calming and sweet.

Cross posted to http://kissthebook.blogspot.com CHECK IT OUT!
Becky
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The illustrations are GORGEOUS if not a bit overwhelming at times. Good weather/nature sounds are included in the text and reassuring Mama Elephant can be a great comfort for a kid who needs some reassurance or as a great way to wind down before bedtime. I wish there was a bit more of an ending though. Seemed a tad abrupt.
Carrie K
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This week's book for Miss Carrie recommends is You're Safe With Me by Chitra Soundar and Poonam Mistry. It is a kaleidoscope of amazing colors and shapes! The story is simple, as it follows Mother Elephant as she calms her babies during a storm. However, it is the artwork that is the star of the show. Recommended for preschoolers and up.
A.B. Bergeron
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
"When the moon rose high and the stars twinkled, it was bedtime for baby animals. But that night, when the skies turned dark and the night grew stormy, the little ones couldn't sleep."

Intricate, dazzling illustrations and imaginative, calming text make this tale of maternal love a must-read at bedtime.
Cindy Dobrez
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeously illustrated Indian bedtime tale that invites lingering over the detailed artwork while absorbing the soothing sounds and rhythms of the text and it's calming whispered refrain from Mama Elephant: "You're safe with me."

Thank you, Lerner, for distributing this treasure from Lantana Publishing, UK.
Lindsey
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Beautiful illustrations, like nothing I've seen before. They remind me of mandalas. I wonder if they might overwhelm some young eyes with their color and intricacy, but I haven't yet read the book with children to test this theory. The text makes for a comforting, Earth-friendly bedtime read. I like that the mother elephant is watching over a variety of baby animal species.
Bev
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly one of the most beautiful picture books I've ever seen, the mandala like illustrations by Poonam Mistry are all worthy of framing and hanging on your wall. Chitra Soundar's words read like poetry and the voice of wise Mama Elephant is soothing and comforting as she reassures the frightened young ones that all is well. Just gorgeous.
charlene.librarian
This book is illustrated with lush images in a style of traditional Indian art. Although the intricacies of the illustration are beautiful, I found it difficult to pick out the animals or other items mentioned in the text. I think some children might be distracted by the details of the illustration and not readily connect the images with the text.
Sandy Brehl
What an extraordinary book this is- in text and art. The lyrical, reassuring refrains, the familiar childlike worries about darkness and storms, and the hypnotically swirly image-within-images combine to comfort at bedtime and fascinate in the light of day.
Art fans should spend time with this, too.
Lauren Vickery
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I like how aspects of the weather such as thunder, wind and lightening are put in a context and would be a great book for children to read if they are scared or worried about thunder storms. However, I'm not sure I like the pictures as I find it hard to differentiate between the animals and environment. There is good use of colour.
Patricia McLaughlin
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Oh, my! Mistry’s dazzling illustrations almost make the text unnecessary, and Soundar’s lovely bedtime tale would soothe an insomniac to sleep. Poetic, powerful, and just about perfect.

“Don’t be frightened,” whispered Mama Elephant. “Lightning sparkles in the sky when clouds collide.”
A Severs
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little more folklore-y than You're Snug With Me - some fantastically illustrated baby animals are comforted by Mama Elephant as she explains the benefits of the scary things in the world around them: lightning, the river, wind... Another feast for the eyes!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Chitra Soundar is originally from the culturally colourful India where traditions, festivals and mythology are a way of life. After six great years in the island city-state Singapore, Chitra now lives in London.

Chitra's primary interest is in writing picture books and early & emergent readers. She enjoys retelling funny folktales from around the world, especially from India.