Start by marking “The Calling Birds: The Fourth Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #4)” as Want to Read:

The Calling Birds: The Fourth Day

(The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides #4)

Many years have passed since Bernadette Bellamy fled the Cariboo Gold Rush and her reputation as the sister of a French-Canadian gang of thieves. Armed with only an honest talent for sewing and a willingness to lead a solitary life on the run, she stays one step ahead of everyone seeking her brothers’ last—and now lost—heist. Until a craving to settle down makes her reinve ...more
Published December 4th 2017 by Jacqui Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Calling Birds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calling Birds

Cynthia
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Calling Birds is a delightful addition to The 12 Days of Christmas with another mail order bride with a secret trying to stay one step ahead of outlaws and the law that maybe hunting her down. Having to pick up and move yet again because someone thinks she has information about a stolen gold shipment her brother took. For the Bellamy gang nothing is more important than family. They have showed this over and over again by bring food and such to their baby sister when needed. She adores her br ...more
Ann-Maree Howarth
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have never read anything by Jacqui Nelson before this book but have since checked out her other books as I really enjoyed her story. The author's characters were delightful, sweet and very interesting with secrets and issues to overcome along the way. I very much enjoyed the Grandfather Gus; he played a very funny role in this story. This is a sweet read but does indicate more than just kissing which was totally fine with me and had a very important role in this story unveil. If you have not r ...more
Tonya Lucas
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Calling Birds was a sweet mysterious book. Jack, Birdie, and Gus truly were meant for one another. I did have a hard time following the storyline at times, seemed to jump off course every now and then, but it ended on a sweet lively, not to mention lovely note. So now 4 couples have been wed, will Noelle be saved and gain their new railroad?
Cindy Nipper
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book about Birdie and Jack! Two misfits who are hiding their true selves from the world! And Crazy Gus who's more of a mastermind than a senile Grandpa, brings lots of laughter to this tale! Can this seamstress stitch her way into Jack's heart?

I was honored to be a part of the continuity group making sure the individual books were consistent with the larger whole.
Glenda Kinard
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again Jacqui Nelson out does herself with a wonderful addition to the 12 days of Christmas. Truly love this cute adorable story really love the main and secondary characters. Jacqui never ceases to amaze me with her writing I have loved every book I have read by her
Crystal
Great!

Another terrific tale in this series. They seem to get more amazing each time! I adored little Birdie and her big spirit, the perfect match for Jack.
Maria Dariotis
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An enchanting story that’s keeps you glued to the pages until the very last page!

Bernadette Bellamy is a woman running away from her past - specifically her brothers- forced to flee her home she decides to become a mail order bride when her past has her running again, she reinvents herself as Birdie Bell. She answers Jack Peregrine’s letter to be his bride and hopes her past will stay well away from her.

Jack Peregrine has decided to get a mail order bride only to help out his town, and help with
Nicole Laverdure
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A new journey of hope for Birdie and Jack!

If you want to get in a festive mood, just choose to read The Calling Birds: The Fourth Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides Book 4), nicely written by Jacqui Nelson. This sweet and charming novella, tells the story of twelve men who sent for mail-order brides, in order to save their little town of Noelle, set in Colorado. I really enjoyed following Jack and Birdie's journey! This novella is a charming and enjoyable holiday read with a dash o
Christine Woinich
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Part of a series based on a single town with characters that exist in the other stories, but the story itself stands alone. Birdie is on the run, looking to hide, and Jack needs a wife. She is a strong independent woman, wanting to live peacefully, and I loved how she took on protecting those around her from her past. Jack does not trust her but once I learned his past, I rooted for him to come around. This is a quick read, and I look forward to reading the rest in this series.

This is my unsolic
Tj Walker
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story

Jacqui Nelson out did herself with this story. This series of stories is intricately woven together by 12 different authors yet each one flows wonderfully with the next. I loved getting to know Birdie, Jack and Gus. There are so many twists and turns in their story. I recommend reading this story. It is a stand alone but you don't want to miss all the books in this series.
Marjorie Lindsey
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully crafted love story!
Once again the author has recreated the old west with a new vigour. Her attention to detail sets scenes that are easy to picture and delightful to experience. Her appealing characters have rich backgrounds that allow the reader to emotionally engage in every plot twist and turn. Altogether a delightful holiday read (or any time for that matter!). P.S. Have fun watching for the clever bird references!
Cheryl
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful intriguing story. This author has done a good job of developing the characters in this book. Jack and Birdie seem to be made for each other and once they worked their way through their historys they realized that fact. Birdie's history had her running for her life because of her thieving brothers. This is a nice addition to this Series.
Tammy Rolle
Day Four

Will the turmoil of their past keep Jack and Birdie from finding their way to each other? On the run from get family's notorious reputation, Birdie seeks a safe haven in Noelle. Jack is haunted by the perils of the war and his inability to save his father after an accident that cost him his leg. Determined to save each other, first they need to accept that they are better together.
Leanne ~ Tales From The Heart
This is a sweet romance set in the times of mail-order brides. A failing mining town needs some brides to ensure it's growth and have the rail road come through. Birdie is on the run from her previous life and is instantly attracted to her husband to be. The characters and their antics were fun to read. Romance and drama entwined to create this charming tale in the old west.
Cynthia Skeezix
A girl on the run.....

A girl who is on the run from those who believe she knows where her brothers hid their stolen treasure becomes a mail order bride for a man who believes he's Broken. He's in need of a bride to help him with life, his business and of course taking care of his grandfather Gus. I love it.
deb
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Calling Birds

Oh my goodness! This was a very good story. I enjoyed reading every page, and it had me on the edge of my seat. Jack and Birdie are another couple who I want more of. I hope the ladies who are part of the series consider doing a Valentine's special, giving us an update on these couples. Also, I discovered a new author; and you will have to read some of Jacqui Nelson's other books.
Peggy Clayton
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was another wonderful book from the "12 Days of Christmas Mail Order Brides". I had read another one of the books in the series and loved it and same with this one. It was so good I read it in one sitting and just couldn't stop shedding a tear or two. Jacqui I thank you for giving me the chance to read this wonderful book and you hit the ball over the fence.
Judy Esposito
The Calling Birds! The Fourth Day

Enjoyed the book! I love the main characters. including grandpa Gus, a wonderful character that kept me laughing throughout the book. I enjoyed following this sweet romance to a HEA. JudyE
Anita Rohn
Humor

Loved it the cast of characters is brilliant. The old timer and all of the towns people make this story appear so real that you want to take a trip to Noelle. Very worth the read!

Kay
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best in series so far
Anne Rollin
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic addition the 12 Days of Christmas Series. Beautifully written romance. Cant go wrong when youre reading one of Jacquis books. I recommend highly!
Cindy
Great series

Another great book in this series. I enjoyed the interaction and caring between these characters. I can’t wait to read the next book
Wenk
Fourth Day of Christmas

Unique story by a new author to me! The Calling Birds of the series The Twelve Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides was a delightful read for the holidays!
Melissa
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Catherine
Gus!!!!

Oh my goodness I loved this story.....I love Gus he keeps everyone on their toes! LoL very excited to read more!!!!!
Sharon
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hero: Jack--- Heroine: Birdie/Bernadette
Reading Enjoyment:4.5* I enjoyed reading this fun and witty short story that is well written with charismatic characters, and was an exciting story.
Jessie
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am enjoying this series. I love the idea of rough and tumble miners trying to save their town by bringing in women, and therefore starting families. I love how sweet, but clueless the men have been in regards to how they should have prepared.

This book was ruined for me with some unnecessary nudity. There was no intimacy before the marriage, but the trust issue in the plot could have easily been solved without full nudity by both parties. Not what I expected when the first three books were “swe
Jacquie
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can only imagine the mix of fear and excitement mail-order brides felt as they traveled across the country in search of a new life.

Ms. Nelson does a fantastic job painting settings in a readers mind so that you feel as though your right there with the characters!

Jack Peregrine lost his father and his leg in the same horrible accident, and not long afterward his wife disappears leaving him broken and lonely. His only refuge is his work as a trader and caring for a grandfather who becomes more f
Celia Lewis
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jack & Birdie's story

Complicated. Oh my, Birdie has a complicated problem! And she's so insistent on not asking for any help. I enjoyed reading this mail-order bride romance very much, sometimes laughing out loud, other times shaking my head at Birdie's stubbornness. An intriguing take on how two strangers can take a chance on love, despite their fears and flaws! Great characters, interesting story, and I loved the ending. Highly recommended!
Vickey Mcgee
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written story in this series. Excellent storyline and very memorable characters. Loved Gus or grandpa as he likes to be called. A clean story that all can enjoy and perfect for the holidays.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Hens: The Third Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #3)
  • The Gold Ring: the Fifth Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #5)
  • The Goose: The Sixth Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #6)
  • The Swan: The Seventh Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides #7)
  • The Maid, The Eighth Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #8)
  • The Partridge: The First Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #1)
  • The Dove: The Second Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #2)
  • The Piper: The Eleventh Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #11)
  • The Drum: The Twelfth Day (Twelve Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #12)
  • Winter Warmers
  • The Glass Minstrel
  • Custom Christmas (Custom Ride, #1.5)
  • Connections
  • One Holiday Ever After
  • The Perfect Gift (Mr. Popsalos, #2)
  • Christmas Tree Magic (Moon Pack, #11.5)
  • Silver and Gold
  • Sweet and Sour
I love historical romance adventures of all sorts, including those set in the Wild West. My love for frontier tales with grit and passion came from watching classic Western movies while growing up on a cattle farm.

Fall in love with a new Old West...where the men are steadfast and the women are cardsharps, scouts, spies and Wild West trick riders.

Join my NEWSLETTER to receive a free short story and

The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Partridge: The First Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #1)
  • The Dove: The Second Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #2)
  • The Hens: The Third Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #3)
  • The Gold Ring: the Fifth Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #5)
  • The Goose: The Sixth Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #6)
  • The Swan: The Seventh Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides #7)
  • The Maid, The Eighth Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #8)
  • The Dancing Lady: The Ninth Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #9)
  • The Lord: The Tenth Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #10)
  • The Piper: The Eleventh Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #11)