Start by marking “Still (Still, #1)” as Want to Read:
Still (Still, #1)

Still

(Still #1)

It always started like this, a pulse inside me, like a warning before the tide surged, roared… and froze everything.

Twenty-year old Emma just landed in Rome, to find the father who walked out of her life more than a decade ago and was too busy eating pizza to call. Traveling with her is a secret she’s carried alone since childhood: sometimes, around her, time stops. Peo
Published February 28th 2018 by Yaypub

To ask other readers questions about Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still

Aisling Zena
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
FREE from 13-16 of July on Amazon! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Still-Book-1...

4.5 Ingenious Stars

Review now posted 8/3/18

Camilla Monk is an evil genius. I love her gripping writing to bits but boy does she love putting her characters and us by extension through hell or is it Tartarus? Here, she takes the German legend of Faust and transmutes it entirely. Infused with Greek/Roman mythology this story takes fantasy to a whole different level.

Anyone who has read her Spotless series will immediately se
Stacey is Sassy
Camilla Monk creates magic...with a blind hobo hero.

***4.5 stars***

I picture Camilla Monk having a cackling laugh. She’s an evil genius who likes to mess with her readers. In the Spotless series we have an extremely intelligent heroine who steps up to save the world. She’s matched with an extremely obsessive clean freak who’s also a hired killer. In the Still series we have a high school dropout heroine who is forced to save the world and doesn’t really get a choice whether she wants to or not.
Camilla Monk
This will not be a review of what Still is, but rather of what it is not.
It's not Spotless.
Readers have been waiting for, like, a billion years for Spotless 5—there's been reports of self-harm!—and what do we get for all of that? A paranormal hobo, a gutter punk girl and a taxidermized fox. Really? F***ing really?

The sex better be good in that one!
Ian
Emma grew up in a loveless family. Her father abandoned her when she was 6 and not long after that her mother married another man and showered all of her love on his gifted and beautiful daughter.

Emma has a secret. She can freeze time. She doesn't know how or why. She doesn't even know if she is sane

When she turned 18 she left the happy family that she wasn't a part of. She lived on the street. She worked dead end jobs. And finally she decided to track down her father who had moved back home to
Sharon
Wowowowwowowowow, this is one of the most promising series I have read in a while. The plot is wonderful with the time-stopping and mythology, but the real gem for me is the characterization. In one moment, I was annoyed by the girl’s hot-bloodedness and in another, I was crying for her.

Here are some of my thoughts:
• I fuckin’ love the protagonist, Emma. She is so complex. I was expecting an interesting story about Rome and historical context and just “fun”, and I got a story where I felt deepl
Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 5 Stars *****

At 10% of the book... I knew.

I knew that I was going to rate this 5 stars.

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

If you loved Spotless, you'll love reading Still. The stories are definitely different, but they have similar amounts of humor and cheesiness that only Camilla Monk can deliver. I laughed. I cried. And now I can't stop thinking about book 2.

All the characters are interesting and bizarre. For example, Emma's ally in Rome is a sexy blind hobo....

Just read the book...

The only thing I
Aly
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I have not read anything from this author before. But I did really enjoy this book. I enjoyed the main character, Emma, this was a character I could understand and relate too. This book was exciting and I was on the edge of my seat. The humor was a real treat in this book for me as well. I loved it all! *This book was given to me for free at my request from Netgalley and I provided this voluntary review.*
Josiane
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 "yaycamilla" stars!

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book. I know the author's previous work well and the blurb lead me to believe this adventure would be totally different.

I loved the fantasy/supernatural aspect of this adventure. There is something very satisfying about learning while being entertained and I learned a bunch in this book. Though, I hope Camilla's a fact checker or spouting mythological stories from this book could potentially be really embarrassing for me.

Fas
Treena
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've never really read anything like this before. I've got so many questions and I want to know more...
Paula
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
WoW. Just WoW.

I loved the heroine. I loved the Hero.

I just NEED them together now.

Please.
Kayti McGee
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Camilla Monk proves her utter brilliance yet again. The old gods are loose in modern Rome, fighting ancient battles among modern families- not to mention offering a charming new way to eat your breakfast cereal. I cannot wait for more. No, really, I can't. I'm laying all I own at the feet of Chronos and begging for a copy of the next installment from the future.

I was lucky enough to read this book pre-release in exchange for my thoughts and I clearly had a few.
Lissette
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For as long as she can remember, Emma has felt like an outcast throughout her family life. She's had to contend with an absent father, a mother she barely relates to, and a stepsister who seems perfect in ways she can never imagination. An unexpected decision soon lands her in the midst of her sister's carefully constructed life. In her mind, she could do with getting to know her sister a little better. Soon, however, that's just wishful thinking because everywhere she goes, chaos follows.

From t
Bookgyrl
So, after the amazing Spotless-series I was really curious as to what Camilla Monk would come up with next. And wow, I really love it!

Emma is 20 years old and travels to Rome to finally see her dad again after he ghosted her 13 years ago. When she bumps into her stepsister Lily on the first day, she is not happy. Emma's family story is quite sad and I felt so sorry for her and understood why she lashed out at everyone and everything. Part of her difficult childhood is the fact that Emma sometime
Vicki
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I was as funny and smart as Camilla Monk.
I absolutely adored The Spotless Series and I was kind of putting this one off until there were more books released but I’m trying to get through my giant TBR pile at the same time. Anyway, this was SO MUCH FUN. Everything I loved about The Spotless Series was here: adventure, romance, unique storytelling, weird characters, plot twists and hilarity. But, this one had the added bonus of MAGIC! Not only that but Greek and Titan mythology inspired ma
Bobbie Kirkland
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of Still by Camilla Monk in exchange for an honest review. This book tracks the story of a disenfranchised youth slowly working her way into mainstream society. As part of her journey, she seeks to make human connections; she goes to Italy to find her father who abandoned her as a child and left her alone with an uncaring mother. She runs into her mother’s stepdaughter and begins to make the connection that was missing in her childhood. This is interrupted when her stepsis ...more
Barbara
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
*4,5 stars*

I don't know how authors can be so cruel. They probably collect somewhere our tears and bathe in them to gain youthful appearance and stuff like that.

Don't get me wrong, "Still" doesn't end with some huge cliffhanger. No, I even don't care about the person (view spoiler). But after getting to know Em and Faust you want to read more and more about them and their adventures. And that awesome blurb for the next part is simply
Louise B
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Massive fan of Camilla's I was beyond excited that she stepped into paranormal. When I read the blurb on Still. It was better then I thought! Loved it. Not only was a taught roman numerals (fantastic skill) with the chapter numbers. I loved the characters the sneaky educational history without it being educational at all. The humour made me laugh out loud and omg the fantastic little twist that I did not see coming!!! Eeek what a fantastic read and I can't wait for more!
Myreadbooks
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
On the cover you see the beautiful Emma with her blue hair. It all starts when she landed in Rome to find her father whom she hasn't seen in ten years. She's going to find Lily her beautiful sister who works at the Katharos Archaeological Foundation. She will get to know Faust a homeless and he will help him on his journey.

A first volume that I loved with the character of Emma tying, I immediately put myself in her skin. Too anxious to read more.
Carlyn
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No, this isn't Spotless. But if you loved Island and March then you'll love this, too. Same type of funny sarcasm and humor that made me laugh out loud.

I love learning the history along with a great story.

Samantha
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
I was so surprised by this book. As I read it, I fell so hard into the storyline. Emma is an amazing character and I really get upset when she isn’t treated right! If you like fantasy, titans and adventure, you are going to love this book!
Marybeth
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really fun & different. It took me a little bit of time to get into at first, bc I thought it was Spotless & I was looking for something a little more along those lines, but I also had Still on my TBR pile, so it wasn't a disaster :)
Linda Reussow
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!

It started out slow and I wondered where it was going but it turned out to be a great book. Please let there be more!
Hermione
Considering how well written Monk's Spotless was - that voice in her writing is absolutely spectacular, I could just read it all day - I'm willing to give any one of her series a try.
Sharon Read
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, Faust and Emma have so much chemistry, and thats something you dont always feel when reading a book.
Full of action and adventure with a bit of romance.
I cant wait to read book 2

Alisia
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lordy I cannot wait to see where this series goes.

Camilla has a fabulous way of making her characters instantly connect with you, so you are a part of the journey right from the start. And what a journey this one was!

Immortal hobos, gods, Italy, uber, one very important table and some good ol fashioned family drama - I loved it.

10/10 will read again.

(I got an ARC of this book and will beg, borrow and steal to get one of book two just so I can read it sooner).
Jenny Vee ~The Review Loft~
I was very excited to get my hands on this book. How can you go wrong with an angsty, lonely girl who randomly experiences time stopping all around her and a blind hobo with time-freezing powers?! Add in a healthy dose of Greek mythology and you’ve got yourself a real winner! No, seriously.

I really enjoyed this story. I love all the characters, the sense of humor, the education that’s sneaked in, and everything that makes this story stand out from the cookie-cutter plots that are all-too-common.
Sabi
Nov 28, 2017 is currently reading it
I'm readyyyy!
Bibliophile Angel
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Still

Still is a mysterious, breath-taking novel that is far from interesting—it’s more than that—it’s very fascinating, well-written and a timeless piece that you will love from beginning to end.

It took me three hours to finish this book—after I find myself creating a review and emailing the author to ask permission—all in just half-a-day. Yup, that’s how good this book is. I’ve got a very bad habit of reading a book until I finished it, with no regards even if I’m at work, or inside the fast-foo
Amyrose2102
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So you are headed to Rome to try and find your dad, who hasn’t responded to your facebook friend request, and that you haven’t seen since you were a young child, and you run into your step-sister on the street, who you last saw a few years ago after you basically told your mom and step-family to F-off, all while occasionally experiencing moments when time stops briefly leaving everything around you motionless and still even though you can move and walk and navigate around the frozen chaos. So if ...more
Summer
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
On a whim, twenty-year-old Emma books a vacation to Rome, intent on finding her absent father, who she hasn’t seen since one-long-ago day on Coney Island. It really isn’t the best time in her life to pick up and travel halfway across the world, especially because Emma has a unique problem — she can stop time — so she’s a bit leery of traveling. She’s never been able to control her ability and worries about what could happen if time stops while she’s overseas. Despite her fears though, she goes a ...more
  • Villere House (Blood of My Blood #1)
  • That Touch of Magic (Nodaway Falls, #2)
  • Touched by Death
  • Another Good Dog: One Family and Fifty Foster Dogs
  • Knight of Flames (Inheritance, #2)
  • Love & Other Lies
  • Thorns and Fangs (Thorns and Fangs, #1)
  • Girl Town
  • Angel Stakes (Bite Back, #5)
  • The Ghosts of Rue Dumaine
  • Up Close
  • A Love to Call Her Own (Tallgrass, #3)
  • Oracle (Oracle #1)
  • Sleuthing for a Living (Mackenzie & Mackenzie P.I. #1)
  • Instauration (The City Series Book 3)
  • North to You (Journey to the Heart #1)
  • Rescued Heart
  • From Russia With Claws (From Russia..., #1)
Camilla Monk is a French native who grew up in a Franco-American family. After finishing her studies, she taught English and French in Tokyo before returning to France to work in advertising. She spent ten years building rickety websites for M&A boutiques and hedge funds, and is now a full-time writer living in Montreal, where she keeps a close watch on the squirrels and complains on a daily b ...more

Still (2 books)
  • Bride of Tartarus (Still, #2)
“Just picturing his wink again gave me douchebumps, but I wouldn’t let him ruin my day.” 3 likes
“You do have time,” Lady Palombara countered. “What you sorely lack, Emma, is patience.” Maybe. But her lack of fucks to give was starting to piss me off,” 0 likes