Start by marking “Culturize: Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.” as Want to Read:
Culturize: Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.

Culturize: Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.

Eradicate Average!
CULTURIZE Your School.

Average schools don’t inspire greatness—and greatness is what our world needs if we are going to produce world-changing learners.

In Culturize, author and education leader Jimmy Casas shares insights into what it takes to cultivate a community of learners who embody the innately human traits our world desperately needs, such as k
Published November 23rd 2017 by Dave Burgess Consulting, Inc. (first published November 22nd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Culturize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culturize

Start your review of Culturize: Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.
Donalyn
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Some great ideas here. Primarily for administrators, but useful to teachers, too.
Angie Miller
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has a solid message: remain positive and work hard for every student. I can get behind that. But, the actual experience of reading this book is not entirely motivational. The writing is really lazy in many parts it cannot afford to be. As an English teaching, I was constantly thinking, "Where is your source?" Casas makes a lot of exciting claims, but fails to back them up with research, even though there are numerous writers that he could be citing. For example, Cal Dweck's work on min ...more
Staci Laird
Oct 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Badly organized, filled with tangents and unclear transitions, and no research base. Doesn't add anything new to the discussion of improving culture.
Kris Patrick
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s my opinion that teachers who choose to spend their own money on professional books and choose to spend their summer break reading professional books typically aren’t in need of a lecture on building relationships with students.

Listened via Hoopla
Nicole Means
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Regardless of our title--administrator, teacher, instructional coach, or supportive staff--we are all leaders charged with providing the best environment for all students. Working in schools can take its toll especially when bouts of doubt make us question whether or not we are truly making a difference. Our most important job is to champion for our students and forge connections with our students. Although we may not see the immediate results of how much love and time we invest in our students ...more
Christine Fitzgerald
I really like how this book gave me the strategies I could use tomorrow in my classroom. Jimmy speaks from the heart and that means a lot when you are a teacher who sometimes questions if you are doing a job that is right for you. I have read many professional books however this one will stick with me because it comes straight from the heart.
Jessica
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for all educators, no matter your role! This book is written woth such voice, that it feels like I'm sitting in the room. Jimmy writes with such passion to affirm the hard work you are doing and to reinspire the work you have yet to do.
Carla Foy
Aug 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
I’ll stand by my 1.5 stars. After 27 years in the classroom, everything Casas is urging educators to do is irritating. There is nothing new or exciting in this book. It was not well organized, and I don’t think it addresses diversity and cultural sensitivity. Disappointing.
Mark
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a marvelous book! Written by a teacher/administrator/high school principal, it promotes a culture of greatness in schools that is truly inspiring. It is filled with prescriptions on how to change the culture in our ‘average’ schools to move them towards becoming great. While aimed principally at educators, it would be helpful to parents wanting to engage in meaningful dialogue with their children’s teachers and principals. This is a book every teacher and principal needs to read!
Billy
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Culturize is must read book for all educators!

Jimmy is a master at describing how cultural is important to a school district. His stories are inspiring and give hope to all educators.
Kim
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Professionally as a teacher, I have always believed in the 3 R's - Relationships, Relationships, Relationships. What Casas discusses in his book dovetails with what was said in my EDU 588 class last week. It is a shame that the teacher evaluation system and the "testing-our-children" endlessly
mandates are at the opposite ends of the spectrum from what this book presents from the author's many years of experience and what research supports in regards to learning.
Attention Politicians: quit abu
Tyler Shafer
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
A few useful ideas for school admin, but they were presented in a much too long and unorganized manner. The book as a whole was poorly written, and too much of it seemed like simple, generic inspirational teacher memes.
Lorie Barber
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Felt more of a use for administrators, but I can see this use with colleagues and teammates.
I also disagree with Casas’ graphic on p. 102 about being an “awfulizer,” particularly saying that criticism falls into that category, rather than in the “awesomizer” category. Being critical of pedagogy and leadership is getting a bad rap, but without critical feedback, we don’t grow. And criticism can happen in a healthy way, and can definitely be done in ways that aren’t mean or offensive.
Sarah Ketchum
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great, quick read full of encouragement for teachers and administrators who are looking for some new strategies to boost morale or trying to avoid burn-out. While a bit repetitive at times it drives home the importance of our job as educators and provides practical tips for “culturizing” our schools.
Andrew Wright
Jan 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
While many education books are actively offensive or dishonest this one was merely insipid and jargon riddled.
Heather Ashley
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Our elementary school read this school wide as part of our Professional Development. We met monthly and gathered in small groups to discuss the book. While the book is good, the best part for me was what came from talking about the contents of the book and how we could apply them to our school. School culture can help or hinder education and we enjoyed exploring news ways to connect with our students. We were reminded that each of us are leaders not only because we are teachers but because we ar ...more
Crystal
Our school district kicked off our school year with Jimmy Casas this year. He was passionate, had great stories, and helped revive us for the new year. It was great! In follow up, our school had a book club with his book. The book follows similar trends to his hour long message- build relationships and don't let average be the standard. He focused on four different topics in the book, but I think these two concepts sum them up. I don't think these things are revolutionary, but the book served as ...more
Kate
Aug 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Does not appear to present any thesis or research base whatsoever. Reads like a stream of consciousness lacking organization and relies on personal anecdotes in random order. Has some nice ideas, but they are universally accepted at this point. The author shares that writing is a personal challenge- I get the feeling that writing a book was a goal he had, so he decided to write down his thoughts and call it a book, rather than having something he needs to share and writing a book in order to sha ...more
Amanda Mccall
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Read this book as part of an assignment for our leadership team at school. It was okay. There were some good ideas and I agree with motivating students and forming connections, etc. However, it did lend itself a lot more to readers who are in an administrative role. I found it more challenging to get through than I was originally hoping due to the lack of giving concrete ways to implement ideas right now.
AJ Bianco
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are a teacher, leader or looking to take a step into the field of education, this is the book for you. Culture is something that is needed in our classrooms and schools and it is up to us to bring this positivity and togetherness. Throughout this book I Appreciated the ideas that Jimmy Casas shared and took notes from every page. I’ve been in the field for 14 years and this book was incredibly eye opening.
Angela
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We’re the Change!

Hope-filled, relevant and empowering, this book inspires action and leadership no matter your title! Jimmy Casas uses his personal experiences as a struggling student, an educator and an administrator to offer practical ways to positively improve relationships and school culture. This is a book every educator and administrator should read, reread, reflect on, share and put into action!
Meredith Devore
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
An inspiring, motivational book with lots of good broad ideas and good reminders. 3 stars for me for two main reasons: one, even though Casas makes the point that everyone in the building is a leader, many of the action points relate directly to administrators; two, the organization of the book was scattered to me, and many of the sub-points didn’t fit in the headings he put them under. Not a deal-breaker, because his point (every student, every day) is still spot-on.
Katy
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
For admin/building leaders

Definitely geared towards admin or other building leaders who have the power to change and influence building culture. I think I had high hopes for this book and was disappointed in the repetitive, seemingly directionless chapters. The overall message of keeping buildings positive and celebrating excellence in staff is a good one, just could have gotten the same gist from a short article.
Steven
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of a book study with the Tennessee Organization of School Superintendents. The book was well written although a bit repetitive in certain areas. I enjoyed the aspect of considering that all people within the “school” organization can be a leader. Our students deserve our best and deserve the opportunity to learn in a holistic welcoming environment. Great study of what it means to “culturize”
Stacia Hang
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every person who serves in schools should read this book! I mean every person (paraprofessionals, secretaries, superintendents, teachers, counselors, cafeteria staff, etc...)! You will be motivated to provide a nurturing, positive, and meaningful school climate for students and colleagues. Do not hesitate...Culturize!
Devin Schoening
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jimmy’s passion shines through in this great book about creating amazing school culture. Culture is so vitally important to the success of any organization. Jimmy shares stories, strategies and experiences to help any teacher or administrator create the kind of transformational culture all schools deserve.
Anne
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book as part of a summer PD offered by my school district. Personally, I really struggled with his writing style. Also, the parts of the book that resonated with me most were ideas my people other than the author. Were there parts that made me think, yes- were there parts that felt repetitive- yes.
Amy
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! This has filled me with so much excitement! It has great reminders of why we are the profession of teaching and challenged me in many areas of which I need growth!
Relationships with students, parents, and colleagues matter! Communication is essential. In short your vibe attracts tour tribe!
Nikki Baker
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
“Being a champion for all students means just that: all students. Not just ones who are likeable and want help but also the ones who might resist your efforts. Even then, your core values drive you to stay true to this belief. This unwavering hope and faith can be the model to inspire others to do the same for all students.” Jimmy Casas
Karen S.
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Culturize is a must read for every educator especially those who feel they have lost their way, purpose and "why"!. Casas offers personal experiences, research and motivational writing to encourage both classroom teachers and administrators to be all they can be not only for themselves but to create and affect a school culture like no other.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Relentless: Changing Lives by Disrupting the Educational Norm
  • Hacking School Discipline: 9 Ways to Create a Culture of Empathy and Responsibility Using Restorative Justice (Hack Learning Series Book 22)
  • Lead Like a Pirate: Make School Amazing for Your Students and Staff
  • The Wild Card: 7 Steps to an Educator's Creative Breakthrough
  • Kids Deserve It: Pushing Boundaries and Challenging Conventional Thinking
  • The Distance Learning Playbook, Grades K-12: Teaching for Engagement and Impact in Any Setting
  • The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity
  • Powerful Teaching: Unleash the Science of Learning
  • Fostering Resilient Learners: Strategies for Creating a Trauma-Sensitive Classroom
  • We Got This.: Equity, Access, and the Quest to Be Who Our Students Need Us to Be
  • Teach Like a Pirate: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator
  • From Striving to Thriving: How to Grow Confident, Capable Readers
  • Onward: Cultivating Emotional Resilience in Educators
  • Innovate Inside the Box: Empowering Learners Through UDL and the Innovator's Mindset
  • The Art of Coaching: Effective Strategies for School Transformation
  • Better Than Carrots or Sticks: Restorative Practices for Positive Classroom Management
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • Go See the Principal: True Tales from the School Trenches

News & Interviews

“Being a champion for all students means just that: all students. Not just ones who are likeable and want help but also the ones who might resist your efforts. Even then, your core values drive you to stay true to this belief. This unwavering hope and faith can be the model to inspire others to do the same for all students.” 4 likes
“Culturize: To cultivate a community of learners by behaving in a kind, caring, honest, and compassionate manner in order to challenge and inspire each member of the school community to become more than they ever thought possible.” 3 likes