Start by marking “Culturize: Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.” as Want to Read:
Culturize: Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.

Culturize: Every Student. Every Day. Whatever It Takes.

Eradicate Average!
CULTURIZE Your School.

Average schools don’t inspire greatness—and greatness is what our world needs if we are going to produce world-changing learners.

In Culturize, author and education leader Jimmy Casas shares insights into what it takes to cultivate a community of learners who embody the innately human traits our world desperately needs, such as kin
Published November 23rd 2017 by Dave Burgess Consulting, Inc. (first published November 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Culturize, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culturize

Donalyn
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
Some great ideas here. Primarily for administrators, but useful to teachers, too.
Angie Miller
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has a solid message: remain positive and work hard for every student. I can get behind that. But, the actual experience of reading this book is not entirely motivational. The writing is really lazy in many parts it cannot afford to be. As an English teaching, I was constantly thinking, "Where is your source?" Casas makes a lot of exciting claims, but fails to back them up with research, even though there are numerous writers that he could be citing. For example, Cal Dweck's work on min ...more
Nicole Means
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Regardless of our title--administrator, teacher, instructional coach, or supportive staff--we are all leaders charged with providing the best environment for all students. Working in schools can take its toll especially when bouts of doubt make us question whether or not we are truly making a difference. Our most important job is to champion for our students and forge connections with our students. Although we may not see the immediate results of how much love and time we invest in our students ...more
Christine Fitzgerald
I really like how this book gave me the strategies I could use tomorrow in my classroom. Jimmy speaks from the heart and that means a lot when you are a teacher who sometimes questions if you are doing a job that is right for you. I have read many professional books however this one will stick with me because it comes straight from the heart.
Jessica
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for all educators, no matter your role! This book is written woth such voice, that it feels like I'm sitting in the room. Jimmy writes with such passion to affirm the hard work you are doing and to reinspire the work you have yet to do.
Billy
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Culturize is must read book for all educators!

Jimmy is a master at describing how cultural is important to a school district. His stories are inspiring and give hope to all educators.
Kim
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Professionally as a teacher, I have always believed in the 3 R's - Relationships, Relationships, Relationships. What Casas discusses in his book dovetails with what was said in my EDU 588 class last week. It is a shame that the teacher evaluation system and the "testing-our-children" endlessly
mandates are at the opposite ends of the spectrum from what this book presents from the author's many years of experience and what research supports in regards to learning.
Attention Politicians: quit abu
Lorie Barber
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Felt more of a use for administrators, but I can see this use with colleagues and teammates.
I also disagree with Casas’ graphic on p. 102 about being an “awfulizer,” particularly saying that criticism falls into that category, rather than in the “awesomizer” category. Being critical of pedagogy and leadership is getting a bad rap, but without critical feedback, we don’t grow. And criticism can happen in a healthy way, and can definitely be done in ways that aren’t mean or offensive.
Sarah Ketchum
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great, quick read full of encouragement for teachers and administrators who are looking for some new strategies to boost morale or trying to avoid burn-out. While a bit repetitive at times it drives home the importance of our job as educators and provides practical tips for “culturizing” our schools.
Staci Laird
Badly organized, filled with tangents and unclear transitions, and no research base. Doesn't add anything new to the discussion of improving culture.
MARTINA
Crystal
Our school district kicked off our school year with Jimmy Casas this year. He was passionate, had great stories, and helped revive us for the new year. It was great! In follow up, our school had a book club with his book. The book follows similar trends to his hour long message- build relationships and don't let average be the standard. He focused on four different topics in the book, but I think these two concepts sum them up. I don't think these things are revolutionary, but the book served as ...more
AJ Bianco
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are a teacher, leader or looking to take a step into the field of education, this is the book for you. Culture is something that is needed in our classrooms and schools and it is up to us to bring this positivity and togetherness. Throughout this book I Appreciated the ideas that Jimmy Casas shared and took notes from every page. I’ve been in the field for 14 years and this book was incredibly eye opening.
Amanda Mccall
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Read this book as part of an assignment for our leadership team at school. It was okay. There were some good ideas and I agree with motivating students and forming connections, etc. However, it did lend itself a lot more to readers who are in an administrative role. I found it more challenging to get through than I was originally hoping due to the lack of giving concrete ways to implement ideas right now.
Devin Schoening
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jimmy’s passion shines through in this great book about creating amazing school culture. Culture is so vitally important to the success of any organization. Jimmy shares stories, strategies and experiences to help any teacher or administrator create the kind of transformational culture all schools deserve.
Amy
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! This has filled me with so much excitement! It has great reminders of why we are the profession of teaching and challenged me in many areas of which I need growth!
Relationships with students, parents, and colleagues matter! Communication is essential. In short your vibe attracts tour tribe!
Nikki Baker
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
“Being a champion for all students means just that: all students. Not just ones who are likeable and want help but also the ones who might resist your efforts. Even then, your core values drive you to stay true to this belief. This unwavering hope and faith can be the model to inspire others to do the same for all students.” Jimmy Casas
Stacia Hang
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every person who serves in schools should read this book! I mean every person (paraprofessionals, secretaries, superintendents, teachers, counselors, cafeteria staff, etc...)! You will be motivated to provide a nurturing, positive, and meaningful school climate for students and colleagues. Do not hesitate...Culturize!
Anne
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book as part of a summer PD offered by my school district. Personally, I really struggled with his writing style. Also, the parts of the book that resonated with me most were ideas my people other than the author. Were there parts that made me think, yes- were there parts that felt repetitive- yes.
Kaitlyn Haley
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This book left me inspired me motivated as so many of the #TLAP books have. But it also gave me a sense of calm and time to reflect on my own growth as an educator. A wonderful reminder to embrace the passions and find what makes teaching such a wonderful life.
Ryan Huels
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quality book

Fun read but could have used more applicable strategies that practicing leaders can implement in their own buildings to create the quality culture Jimmy describes throughout the book
Lawrence M Wolpe
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
S great read!

As a new administrator this was a great book that underscores the importance of establishing and maintaining positive relationship s with students, staff, colleagues and the entire school community.
Trina R.
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Jimmy's passion and am inspired by his love for all students. He gives simple, practical ideas that can easily be implemented to create learning environments that serve all students. He is very empathetic and stresses the importance of not giving up ever on any student.
Jen Newton
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read

This book was just what I needed to read in order to remind myself of why I chose this profession. It's about relationships and being awesomeness vs. awfulizers. We set the tone for every day.
Jessica Cabeen
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jimmy identifies keys strategies to create a system of success for all stakeholders. He has an eloquent way of writing his stories,as a reader you feel like you are right in the room as he tells them. Great read for educators and leaders.
Heather
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read for all educators

Must read for every teacher, administrator, board member. In the end, to get the results we desire in schools we must change behavior. To change behavior we must change the culture. Excellent.
Kathy Locke
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I found some great food for thought: be excellent and positive, dont let people opt out, hold people accountable. It's all about relationships. However, I lost the thrill of the message that was a repeat of what everyone else is saying.
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: about-teaching
So this book has lots of good nuggets. But I didn’t feel it was a cohesive whole. And I struggled with some of the repetitive information. There were a lot of places 8 wished it were less abstract! But my fave parts were the stories! Very inspiring!
Melody Riggs
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good read about building classroom and school culture.
Patrick
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful, inspiring book. Perfect teacher summer reading!
  • What Great Principals Do Differently: 15 Things That Matter Most
  • Kids Deserve It: Pushing Boundaries and Challenging Conventional Thinking
  • Hacking Leadership: 10 Ways Great Leaders Inspire Learning That Teachers, Students, and Parents Love
  • The Innovator's Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity
  • Lead Like a Pirate: Make School Amazing for Your Students and Staff
  • Better Than Carrots or Sticks: Restorative Practices for Positive Classroom Management
  • Transforming School Culture: How to Overcome Staff Division
  • Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction
  • Fostering Resilient Learners: Strategies for Creating a Trauma-Sensitive Classroom
  • Launch: Using Design Thinking to Boost Creativity and Bring Out the Maker in Every Student
  • Notebook Connections: Strategies for the Reader's Notebook
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Digital Leadership: Changing Paradigms for Changing Times
  • Shift This!: How to Implement Gradual Changes for MASSIVE Impact in Your Classroom
  • The Art And Science Of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework For Effective Instruction
  • Writing with Mentors:
  • Whatever It Takes: How Professional Learning Communities Respond When Kids Don't Learn
  • What Really Matters in Response to Intervention: Research-Based Designs
“Culturize: To cultivate a community of learners by behaving in a kind, caring, honest, and compassionate manner in order to challenge and inspire each member of the school community to become more than they ever thought possible.” 3 likes
“Being a champion for all students means just that: all students. Not just ones who are likeable and want help but also the ones who might resist your efforts. Even then, your core values drive you to stay true to this belief. This unwavering hope and faith can be the model to inspire others to do the same for all students.” 3 likes