Start by marking “The Hookup (The Jordan Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hookup (The Jordan Brothers, #1)

The Hookup

(The Jordan Brothers #1)

Is there an equation for the perfect hookup? Turns out it’s a lot more complicated than one plus one. . . .

Sophie:
Numbers are my comfort zone, which explains why my sex life is a big fat zero. Then again, if I’m smart enough to earn a PhD, why can’t I calculate a way to get a guy into bed, just to see what all the fuss is about? With my prima donna sister, Bella, getti/>
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 218 pages
Published May 8th 2018 by Loveswept

To ask other readers questions about The Hookup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hookup

Start your review of The Hookup (The Jordan Brothers, #1)
Wendy
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books, may-18
Sophie is a math major working towards her PhD. She is determined to hookup with a stranger for one night to lose her virginity. Cain is a lobster fisherman who drowns his sorrows nightly at the local bar.
While out celebrating her sister's upcoming wedding Cain spots Sophie, not your average girl, and the hookup begins. However, once the sparks start to fly a one night stand becomes impossible.
A hot, fun an
Wendy'sThoughts
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Erin McCarthy Fans, Romance
3.5 Opposites Attracting Stars
* * * 1/2 Spoiler Free
Erin McCarthy made an impression on me years ago when I first found her. In this book, she has hit an interesting chord...two opposites and their needing each other.

A woman who worked so hard in school.. landed in Harvard and had no time to "Experience any Sexy Times." Our guy is a twin and his brother betrayed him in the worst way... and now there is a child who doesn't get to see his Real dad. This causes our guy to work, drink till loaded and repeat day after day.

Both m
Ryan - Sweet Red Reader
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-love
The Hookup was such a heartfelt, emotional, and intelligent book and a fantastic start to a series. Sophie and Cain are such unique characters and the dynamics between them and their families is so intriguing that I can't wait to dive in to their world again. Sophie was one of my favorite female leads to date - she is so different from the typical romance heroine and it is utterly refreshing. Erin McCarthy's method of dual POV, first person storytelling was utilized uniquely and superbly and kep ...more
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I was really interested in The Hook Up. Granted, when it first started, I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it but, as the story went on, I couldn't stop reading it. I wasn't sure where it was going to go, how things would work out between Cain and Sophie or if it was possible that I was reading a story that wouldn't have a happy ending but was sure hoping that I would.

Cain was an interesting character. A drunk with a deep-seeded hatred of his twin brother. Betrayed and living his life on his own, he goes
Cheryl Whitty
The hookup is quick and cute romance, but deals with addiction which is a serious subject. Bella and Sophie decide to go out so Sophie could have a hook up.
Sophie is highly intelligent, but her fashion sense is nil so her sister Bella decided to do her hair and makeup. So in a skin tight dress, high fluffed up, and false lashes. So feeling really uncomfortable she goes to the bar where this hottie called Cain is sitting at the bar. Cain is trying to drown his sorrows after a problem with h
Kimberley C.
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story for the most part. I really liked Sophie, the quirky heroine who blows into Cain's life. I wasn't as taken with Cain by the end of the story, which was a shame as far as I'm concerned. He had the potential to be a great hero, but there was a scene towards the end of the book that ruined it for me. The first half of the book is a solid 4.5 stars, but I found the story went a little off the rails and that disappointed me. I hope we get to revisit these characters when (if?) we ...more
Under the Covers Book Blog

I haven't read an Erin McCarthy book in such a long time so I was really excited when I saw she had a new series coming out.  The Jordan Brothers follows two brothers falling for two sisters.  The brothers (twins!!!) have some heavy past issues to overcome and the sisters couldn't be more different from each other.

We start off with Sophie and Cain.  Cain
Sissy's Romance Book Review
The Hookup by Erin McCarthy is book One in The Jordan Brothers series. This is the story of Sophie and Cain.
Cain has a block on his shoulder that he isn't letting it go and it is somewhat do to his brother. This upset has him just working, drinking and sleep with or without someone. Cain knows that he is an alcoholic but doesn't have plans to change anything.
Sophie is a smart (genius) 25 year old virgin that doesn't have real social skills and boarders on OCD. Sophie is in town because her bea
Cocktails and Books
3.5 Cocktails

I liked this romance between Cain and Sophie. For Cain's faults, he was the only one that saw past Sophie's quirks and OCD. He liked her for who she was and was always there with a compliment to prove to her that she was just as pretty and special as her sister.

I would have liked a bit more of a development of what happened between Cain and Christian. That fallout was the reason for Cain's downfall, so it would have been great to have that detail.
Jeannine
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Its been years since I’ve read a McCarthy book. I was excited to read this and it was pretty good. Sophie is awesome. I love how she has no filter and just tells you like it is. Now Cain, oy he has a chip the size of Texas on his shoulders. He’s bitter and angry at his twin brother and drowns his emotions in alcohol. But underneath all of that, it’s touching how much he cares for Sophie. I wish there was an epilogue, but I know there’s another book coming about his twin brother so hopefully we’l ...more
Lady Heather
Publication Date: May 8, 2018

4- Stars!

This was not what I was expecting to read when I first picked up this book up.
I was expecting a light, fun, breezy hook-up story which I totally based my opinion upon from the cute cover.

THIS story actually knocked my socks off!

The main male protagonist, Cain carries a lot of anger and has a lot of issues, the main one being that he turns to alcohol to numb his feelings.
Cain admits and accepts that he's an alcoholic and as/>4-
Happily Mary After
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Hookup is a captivating blend of poignancy, humor and romance that delivers a powerful emotional punch. Sophie and Cain are opposites in almost every way imaginable when they meet at a bar and decide to have a one-night stand. She is an even-keeled, Harvard-educated math genius, who is quirky and a little socially awkward, and he’s a hardworking, small-town lobster fisherman and bitter, angry alcoholic, who has been deeply wounded by his twin brother and ex-girlfriend. They don’t sound like ...more
Up All Night With Books
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
***ARC received in exchange for an honest review***

Erin McCarthy, an New York Times bestselling author, gives us the The Hookup, book one in the Jordan Brothers series. YES, there will be more Jordan men, insert happy dance.

I just love the fact that both these characters are flawed in the most realistic way. Sophia with her safe zone and her OCD qualities. Cain drinking himself away. This is so well written that you are "hooked" from the beginning. The story just keeps flowing right on smoothly till it is over. Tw
Jen
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I actually really enjoyed this book - but it was touch and go there for a few parts when Cain just completely screwed up my opinion of him. I mean it's kind of hard to like an alcoholic who doesn't even attempt to give it up when it means he'll have something good in his life and then gets drunk and hurts those around him that he loves. But I get that it's a disease and it's not easy to overcome. Luckily, by the end, he gets things under control and starts getting his life back. So I forgave his ...more
Tarah Hodges-Wilkins
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I adored this story! I loved how different the characters were and how the story kept me on my toes until the very end! The only down fall was how abrupt the ending was, wish we were given a little more. I can’t see what to happen in the next book with Christian and Bella.

*ARC kindly given by netgalley for my honest opinion.”
Suey_Library
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
***I was provided an Advanced Readers Copy in exchange for an honest review***

Well shit on a stick.... yet another author to gush over like a giddy little fangirl. Seriously, cheese and crackers comrades. This book was perfect. I really enjoyed reading this and when I say I read it one sitting, I definitely read it in two hours. It was amazing.

I loved the characters - FLIPPING LOVED THEM.

Sophie was a huge treat. In many romance novels, you get this nerdy girl
April Symes
The Hookup, by Erin McCarthy, is the 1st book in her new "Jordan Brothers" series. Sophie is super intelligent but when it comes to fashion and men, its like she is completely clueless. Cain has a block on his shoulder that he isn't letting it go and it is somewhat do to his brother. Yet these two together work. Cain is an alcoholic while Sophie is OCD and has these unusual quirks. Their relationship started after Sophie met him when Sophie was at a bar with her older sister to work on her socia ...more
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
description
I loved this book. I loved Cain in all his emotionally damaged glory. He was unapologetically jerky. But ultimately he was a man who has experienced a level of betrayal no one should ever have to endure. He is surviving in the only way that he can until he meets Sophie.

Sophie was awkward, but confident. She was curious and highly intelligent. She was everything everyone thought was a complete mismatch for Cain, but from their first moment of meeting, their connection is something else. It's uni
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
I haven't read anything by Erin McCarthy in a couple of years, so it was really rewarding to read this book. It's really good. I really enjoyed reading about Cain and Sophie. Also, I really liked the fact that Cain was so flawed. The secondary characters were intriguing. I'm looking forward to reading the next book. All in all, this was a very enjoyable, contemporary read. It will be going on my recommend list for sure.

Reviewed by: Clare M.
Mary
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wicked
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

I really loved this book. The characters of Sophie and Cain are very complex and riveting and each have their own set of demons.

Sophie has always been misunderstood. She's different from the rest of her family and she knows it. She's learned to adapt. When she meets Cain and he gets her, she knows that there is something special about him.

Cain has his own demons. He has faced betrayal by his own family a
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like this author but didn't like her YA series. This book does have a YA feel to it but I actually enjoyed it.

I liked Sophie. She's a bit quirky and has OCD tendencies. I also liked Cain. He's become an alcoholic after finding out his identical twin brother slept with his girlfriend and she got pregnant but there is no way of telling which brother is the real father as they share the same DNA. Cain is a functioning alcoholic. He still goes to work everyday as a lobster fisherman. ...more
Crystal
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Sophie and Cain are just amazing and wonderful! I LOVED this book SO much. Can't wait for the next one!
Heather 123
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute, romantic read. Sophie is adorable; she obviously has some OCD quirks and I wouldn't be surprised if she was also diagnosed with Aspergers (although it's never mentioned in the book she definitely would fit some of the criteria). She's real; her uncertainty, her doubts about herself, her low self esteem...it's all real.

Cain...wow he is something. He comes off as a jerk, but as you get to know him through the story you begin to understand why. My heart broke for him af
Shari
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This was just an okay read. I liked the heroine’s quirks. I found her interesting. The hero had some demons, but eventually got a handle on them. There were parts of this book I found myself loosing a connection to the characters, but for the most part it was an interesting read.
ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Kelly Merie
The Hookup (The Jordan Brothers, Book 1) by Erin McCarthy
4 Blunt and Awkward Stars
HIGHLY RECOMMEND - ONE CLICK WORTHY
Available May 08, 2018

The Local Alcoholic meets The Harvard Genius

description

Sophie and Cain are two polar opposites that work so well together, I really enjoyed reading their story. Erin McCarthy is a new-to-me author so I didn't know what to expect when starting this book, but I quickly became a huge fan of hers, and now I cannot wait for the next brothers' book!

This book was so funny, I LOVED the characters!(<- I'm probably going to sI
Becky
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 5/14/18.

I enjoyed The Hookup, even though it wasn't quite what I was expecting--clearly, I hadn't read the blurb very closely (or at all...I suspect my decision making was mostly, "Oh, I like Erin McCarthy...click). It definitely deals with heavier topics than its cover would lead you to believe. Its characters are quirky and believable, though, and there was nearly as much smiling and laughing going on over here as there was groaning and shaking my head (mostly at Cain, I'll admit), sMcCarthy...).
Ruthie Taylor
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the start of a new series, and I think we can look forward to a winning streak here from Ms McCarthy. Although there is some world building, it is very subtle, and just slides straight into the story.

I really enjoyed both lead characters, they are so completely different, and yet it just works so well. Sophie is really well written, with such a wonderfully literal view of life, and yet perfectly capable of developing
Miekenstein
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ever read a book that you just expect to end really badly? Well, reading The Hookup had me braced for the train jumping the tracks for most of it. I didn't find the drama in the book angsty as much as tragic. I just could see how easily a relationship between Cain and Sophie would end up really badly.

Cain is a drunk. This is not a spoiler as you know within a few sentences of meeting him that he has a huge problem with alcoholism. He knows he's an alcoholic and doesn't know any way besides dri
Deniz
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

I can't decide if I should round up or down... I kinda rounded up because it's a McCarthy. Also can't keep coming back to GR and changing my rating back and forth.

I like the unique MCs and the writing style.
The character building is done really well for the two MCs. I could relate and felt a connection with them. Their banter and dialogues are sweet.
Not sure how I feel about the rather shallow support cast. Actually, I know I'm not a fan. They stereotypical and flat.
But I don
Connie N.
#1 in the Jordan Brothers romance series

Thanks to NetGalley for sending a free book in exchange for an honest review.

I have liked this author in the past, but I really didn't have any particular expectations about this book--and I was very happy to find it a very easy-to-read and enjoyable romance. The best part was the characters, who were a little different from the typical romance characters. Sophie is an adorable nerd, making no excuses about it and perfectly willing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Rumor Has It (Real Love, #4)
  • Knocked Up  (Crazy Love, #2)
  • On the Line (Milwaukee Dragons, #1)
  • Playing Hurt (Aces Hockey, #6)
  • Hot & Heavy (Lightning #2)
  • Head Over Heels
  • Down with Love (Laws of Attraction, #1)
  • Royal Treatment (His Royal Hotness, #2)
  • I Flipping Love You (Shacking Up, #3)
  • Bishop (Arizona Vengeance, #1)
  • Only With You (Man Enough, #4)
  • Sleepover
  • Marek (Cold Fury Hockey, #11)
  • Bad Business (Bad Boys of Sports, #2)
  • X Marks the Spot
  • Illegally Yours (Laws of Attraction, #2)
  • Royal Mess (a novella duet)
  • Hot Asset (21 Wall Street #1)
USA Today and New York Times Bestselling author Erin McCarthy sold her first book in 2002 and has since written over seventy novels and novellas in teen fiction, new adult, and adult romance. Erin has a special weakness for tattoos, high-heeled boots, beaches and martinis. She lives in Ohio with her family, two grumpy cats and a socially awkward dog.

The Jordan Brothers (2 books)
  • The Breakup (The Jordan Brothers, #2)
“It’s like strapping toothpicks onto a newborn colt and telling him to walk. Wearing heels is a sport and I don’t want to play.” 0 likes
“I feel like you hate your life more than you could ever love me. And I was stupid to think otherwise. I guess it’s true what they say—love makes you stupid. Even a girl like me.” 0 likes