Start by marking “Your Story Is Your Power: Free Your Feminine Voice” as Want to Read:
Your Story Is Your Power: Free Your Feminine Voice

Your Story Is Your Power: Free Your Feminine Voice

HOW DO YOU DEFINE YOURSELF?

IN A VERY REAL SENSE, we define ourselves through our stories. If we can truly understand the stories that made us the women we are, including the motivations behind our actions and thoughts, we can take charge of how our future unfolds.

WHAT IS AT THE HEART OF YOUR STORY?
Follow the prompts, tools, questions, and advice through a labyrinth of s
Published March 6th 2018 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Your Story Is Your Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Story Is Your Power

Cindy Pham
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
A beautiful book that has a few good messages about being more emotionally intuitive with yourself, but the majority of it turned out too hippie for my tastes by describing feminine power as a mystical force and attributing the authors' vague dreams to foreign religions - all with very flowery prose, and not much substance.
Hannah Emory
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: womensworld
The artwork was beautiful but the textual content could have had a little more substance for all the ground this book covered. I will say there were some gems for sure but the text only touched the tip of the iceberg on a lot of psycho-spiritual subjects that have been covered in whole chapters of their own in much more thorough books. Plus, I felt like there was a lot of dogma about patriarchy which, for my personal experience of the book and in comparison to what I expected from the book at th ...more
Antoinette Perez
This book is (1) not what I thought it would be, and (2) for a woman in a different stage of exploration of her identity than I am. It's less about the power of every woman telling her story, and more about you. Just you. And your story.

I'm not well versed on the enneagram, which substantial parts of this book rely on, and I'm not a fan of reducing personality and behavioral profiles to their simplest forms anyway.

That said, it's a pretty good and deep look at various ways to get to the heart o
Linh
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars. This focused heavily on misogyny and feminism, which is nice, but I was hoping for something a little more about personal development and not about how the world treats women.
Molly
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I will go back and dig deeper into this book because there are so many layers. Elle and Susie create a beautiful work empowering women to discover their stories and use those discoveries to forge a future.

So good.
So stinkin’ good.
Kelsey
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super quick read. Some thoughtful content, although nothing new to me other than the interesting incorporation of the Eneagram. That was cool! The illustrations are beautiful. A couple things were a bit culturally appropriative - less cool. Overall some nice remembers about the importance of owning and knowing our stories which has re-inspired me on a quest to find out more about my family history and my own story!
S
May 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
I hesitate to give this a review at all because I feel like it just doesn't have enough for me to consider it a real "book". That's probably unfair. But I've read more blog posts that have more content.

There's plenty in this book I don't much buy. I think it's dangerous to push the idea of some sort of mysterious feminine power because it 'others' us unnecessarily. At the same time, it feels like we have to do something when so much of society has told us that women suck. I really liked the pag
Pam Cipkowski
I was really excited when I saw that this book was coming out, because I loved Elle Luna’s The Crossroads of Should and Must so much. Unfortunately, I found Your Story Is Your Power to be very disjointed—a book not quite knowing what it wants to be.

The book is designed in the same style as Crossroads, filled with artsy illustrations and inspiring quotes on beautifully color-washed pages. It starts out discussing how women have been conditioned early on to accept the Cinderella and Snow White pr
Lorelei
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I think that about half of this book was...useful? I hesitate to describe it like that. It's an inspirational book and a beautiful one. However, some of the language used was alienating. I'm not sure I agree with feminine power being such a mystical force, though I understand the thought process behind it. I do think solidarity among women is important! Some of the things covered are also a bit common sense.

The first two parts that covered examining your family and cultural stories felt pedanti
Karen Lewis
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully-designed book, adorned with original watercolor art by Elle Luna who curates the #100DayProject. While I’m not a huge fan of self-help books, this one pulls my heart because it’s focused on the creative process. The authors’ main idea is that in a labyrinth there are no wrong turns, only a continuous journey to one’s own creative center.

YOUR STORY IS YOUR POWER advocates for disrupting the dominant western thinking that has historically placed females in subservient (and o
tinythunder
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I agree with other reviewers that there’s just not much here. In the first portion they ask questions to encourage self-discovery, so that might be helpful for some. However, I’m guessing the people buying this book are those who have already done some inner work and want something deeper. This is not it.

I’m a huge fan of the Enneagram, so I was happy to see that included, but it’s only the most basic introduction, without any discussion of the most important part: levels of health/unhealth. Rea
Tanya
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic
I can't think of any reason not to read this book.

As someone else had said, this book only touches the tip of the iceberg on feminism. There are many more books that have more information and more depth in them. But that shouldn't stop you from reading it. Unless maybe you have already read everything about feminism and self help type books, then maybe this book isn't for you.

Yes this book has a lot of art work, and not as much writing as many books out there have. But I see that as a benefit. I
Ashlie Elizabeth
I bought this and wish I had borrowed it. It's very lovely and has some great quotes (think Pinterest-worthy images) but the actual content is sparse. I think the subject-matter jumped around a little too much. I really enjoyed the section about talking with family members and examining the values of your upbringing and writing out narrative that you tell yourself in order to change it. It felt to me like the first steps of drafting a memoir or some personal essays. The connection to the Ennegra ...more
Raquel
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
While the concept of overcoming societal and internalized misogyny is critical in grasping how to harness feminine power, this book fails in two ways. One, it focuses heavily on the Enneagram personality types, which is reductive. Second, while the first parts of the book focus on storytelling tools, the end of the book turns wishy washy and doesn't reference storytelling at all. The world needs a better resource on this empowering tool.
yamiyoghurt
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Colourful and easy to read - designed to capture the reader’s attention. A good primer to start the inward journey into oneself, to investigate the unconscious conditionings that shape of our beliefs and being, and through confronting our shadow selves, become empowered.
This book is a good practical guide with activities and steps to explore inwards. I’m giving it 3 stars because of my personal preference for heavier theories.
Shannelle
Jun 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Uncomfortably steeped in the mystical and the authors justifying things based on foreign religions, and upon realizing that, I thought that 1.) this book doesn’t really have a lot of helpful content, it’s just mostly art and personal anecdotes that don’t do much and 2.) it’s glaringly unhelpful for women of color or trans women and etc. Would not recommend
Gabrielle Jarrett
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked Your Story is Your Power. Naturally, it can apply to men who want to understand the system of patriarchy they were raised and live in, because patriarchy takes no prisoners. Mainly, it is for women. We don't even realize how it has infiltrated our lives, our choices, our emotions, our minds, and our choices. It is a quick read, very clear, and inspiring. Go for it!
Isabel
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I checked this book out from my local feminist library on wheels. I hoped that it would help me make some self-discoveries, but much of it felt basic. This is probably good for someone in high school or college, who might barely be exploring the layers of who they are.
Sabrina
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, kindle, read-along
"Accepting the reality and nature of emotional pain reduces the need for outside stimulus ...." Just a snippet of what this book has to offer. It provides for a different type introspective review of YOU.
Savannah Wooten
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was tiny but packed a punch - it had 700 different angles to chew on. I definitely want to buy it and re-reference it throughout my life.

Particularly loved the use of the Enneagram types & the challenge to breakdown our lives into our Personal/Family/Cultural stories. A useful tool!
Shavawn Berry
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great primer on finding and using your voice

Beautiful art. Beautiful quotes. This little book packs a punch. The co-writers trade off sharing their stories of awakening. I loved it.
Keri
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the art work. Inspiring but not a lot of depth.
Allison
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book by Elle and co authored with Susie Herrick. Didn’t work through all the exercises in here but I hope to at some point. Love the enneagram highlights!
Fatima Khan
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The writing prompts are thought-provoking and useful, but I found the emphasis on patriarchy and feminine power to be over-simplified and weak.
Laura Reinhardt
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting look at how culture, families, and individual experiences combine to affect who we are. Cool tools to examine these and make a break from unhealthy practices.
Kristin
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Easy, powerful read.
Amanda
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I rounded up from 3.5 to 4 stars. This would have been much more helpful at an earlier part of my life.
Jamie Burgess
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty illustrations and plenty of food for thought. I enjoyed this book.
Holli Keel
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
The artwork was lovely, and I enjoyed the ideas presented. It could have been a bit more in-depth, but I loved the ideas it did cover.
Bridget
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
It took me a while to get through this one, even after I breezed through her first (The Crossroads of Should and Must). I enjoyed the pages about personality type - it was fun to explore mine!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Small Key Can Open a Large Door: The Rojava Revolution
  • Annihilators
  • I'd Rather Be in Charge: A Legendary Business Leader's Roadmap for Achieving Pride, Power, and Joy at Work
  • The House That Pinterest Built
  • Doomsday Clock #4: Walk On Water
  • American Turnaround: Reinventing AT&T and GM and the Way We Do Business in the USA
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Coming and Crying
  • What the Bee Knows: Reflections on Myth, Symbol, and Story
  • D Is for Digital: What a Well-Informed Person Should Know about Computers and Communications
  • The Woman in the Zoot Suit: Gender, Nationalism, and the Cultural Politics of Memory
  • You Must Revise Your Life
  • The Urban Pagan: Magical Living in a 9-To-5 World
  • Chain Reaction: A Call to Compassionate Revolution
  • Shades of Gray
  • Win at Losing: How Our Biggest Setbacks Can Lead to Our Greatest Gains
  • The Way to Write for Children: An Introduction to the Craft of Writing Children's Literature
  • Astrology for Yourself: How to Understand and Interpret Your Own Birth Chart: A Workbook for Personal Transformation