Start by marking “Searching for Gertrude” as Want to Read:
Searching for Gertrude

Searching for Gertrude

I'll come for you. No matter what. I'll find you, and we'll be reunited.

When Gertrude is forced to flee Nazi Germany with her family, Rudolf is left behind. Despite the distance, he remains devoted to her. Even after her letters stop.

Eight years pass before Rudolf is finally able to follow Gertrude to Istanbul. Their reunion should be inevitable, but Rudolf can't find Ge
Published January 22nd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Searching for Gertrude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Searching for Gertrude

Start your review of Searching for Gertrude
Laura Sandonato
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Looking for a book with romance, mystery, and espionage? Your search is over.

Searching for Gertrude by D.E. Haggerty follows two characters, Rudolf and Rosalyn in their attempt to find Rudolf’s lost love Gertrude. Gertrude’s family leaves Germany in 1933 after Germany appoints Adolf Hitler as chancellor. According to the United State Holocaust Memorial Museum, it didn’t take long for the Third Reich to strip German citizens of their human rights and open its first concentration camps.

Gertrude’s
N.N. Light
A book which opened in such an exciting fashion so that it was hard to put down, right from the start. Captivating and endearing characters and a story that resonates through time.

Rosalyn becomes central to the story and is so creatively written that the reader can't help but care about this woman. Poignant, dramatic, romantic, frightening, melancholic, exciting... a book for everyone and a fantastic read.

As a Military Historian I was very impressed with this author's first foray into histori
Lynda Dickson
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 16+
Shelves: adult
The book begins in Germany, 1933, when sixteen-year-old Gertrude and her family are forced to abandon their home and move to Istanbul, Turkey, because they are Jewish. Her nineteen-year-old neighbour Rudolf is forced to watch his soulmate leave, and he vows to be reunited with her one day. Eight years later, in 1941, Rudolf finally makes his way to Istanbul, after studying and gaining a position as a foreign diplomat. There, he meets Rosalyn, a young Jewish woman who has recently arrived from Ne ...more
Shannon
I have found another gem! I can't say this is a hidden gem since it's a new release, but it is a gem! I've been trying for days to come up with words to express my feelings for and about this book and I still don't think these will be adequate, but here goes...

The past couple of years I've been lucky to find, (or have they found me?!?), these unassuming little books that I, in no way, could have imagined the impact they would have on me. I love when I'm completely wrapped up in a book and the wh
Daniel Banks
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Searching For Gertrude.
As a youth, Rudolph, a non-Jewish German, is forcibly separated from the Jewish girl he loves. She and her family flee Germany in 1933 as the Nazi regime is ramping up atrocities against the Jewish community. Left in Germany, Rudolph vows he will go to the ends of the earth to find Gertrude.
Each chapter starts with a quote from one of the characters. These quotations were dull and irrelevant. Without being too pedantic, while I love the setting in Istanbul and the historic
Gretchen Jeannette
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Will love prevail against fate? 3.5 Stars.

Set in Istanbul during WWII, Searching for Gertrude delves into one man’s undying love for his childhood sweetheart, and a young woman’s determination to help him find her. The two main characters arrive in the neutral country of Turkey to pursue separate quests. Rosalyn, a young Jewish-American teacher, leaves her home in New York to lend whatever support she can to the Jewish emigrants who fled Germany for Turkey. After settling into a position as a na
Jessica Robbins
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour, own-kindle
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs... ...more
Helen Mathey-Horn
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting romance set in Istanbul of the 1930- early 1940's. The characters are an American Jewish girl, a British diplomat/spy and a German bureaucrat who hates working for the Nazis, but it is his only way to find his lost love, Gertrude. How they all get tangled together is interesting. How the author resolves it is equally interesting. There is a tension in each of the characters due to the times and situations. Who can you really trust? Are you falling in love? And can this end well?
John Dizon
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Searching For Gertrude by D.E. Haggerty is a historical romance novel that takes place over two decades on two continents in a well-researched, steady paced tale. Rudolf Wolf is a student in pre-WWII Germany in love with the girl next door, Gertrude Liebster. Only the newly-enacted anti-semitic decrees cause her family to flee to Turkey in search of a new life. Rudolf’s desperation leads him to employment at the German Embassy in Istanbul. His investigation takes him across the path of Rosalyn B ...more
Rosie Amber
Searching For Gertrude is a romance set during World War Two.

Rudolf has loved the daughter of his Jewish neighbour for as long as he can remember, but one morning he wakes to discover her family are leaving, because of the dangers present in the country during that time. Gertrude’s father has lost his job at his German university, and he’s taking his family to Istanbul.

Devastated by the loss of his love, Rudolf vows to follow. But first he must finish his studies, and it is eight years before he
Elizabeth
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Since I began listening to one of my favorite series, The Bronze Horseman, by Paullina Simons, on Audible a few months back, I’ve been collecting and obsessing over stories surrounding World War II. I feel like WWII books are in a genre all their own and I’ve always found them interesting, devastating, scary, and romantic depending on the plots involved.

Needless to say, I was ecstatic when I was offered the chance to read Searching for Gertrude by D.E. Haggerty. A WWII tale with a little mix of
Cami Hensley
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take me away to another time.

The story really grabs the readers attention from the get-go. DE Haggerty does a great job being descriptive and allowing the reader to feel like they are immersed in the world and time.

This is an emotional journey for the main character that we are able to feel through the pages. DE Haggerty's voice shines through and gives a very powerful message. I enjoyed the pacing and writing style and this novel really stuck with me long after I finished reading it.
books are love
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who has read DE Haggerty, you know that most of her books are lighthearted, funny as all get out and so entertaining-with this book we see the breath of talent as a story creator she is.

Searching for Gertrude is in two words spectacularly beautiful. It is emotional, beautiful, captivating and just engaging and so so amazing. DE Haggerty’s creates the environment of what Rudolf and Rosalynn are going through that is so palpable and real. She creates the historical emotion and happenin
Rita Kelley
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sears hinge for Gertrude

Another WWII novel with a totally different spin. Takes place in Istanbul which was a supposedly a neutral country. The characters tears are interesting and varied and the plot keeps you in suspense.
Pam
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Searching for Gertrude was written by D.E. Haggerty. This novel is set in Istanbul, Turkey during World War II before America entered the war. In addition to the story, the author gives us a brief history of Jews in Turkey, the history of Istanbul and Turkey during the war, and the sinking of the ship Struma with all crew and passengers aboard. This was deliberate murder of these Jews.
In Germany in 1933, Rudolf was awakened in the middle of the night by screams. He ran downstairs to find his ne
Margaret Watkins
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A story to keep you glued to your seat, Searching for Gertrude kept me totally engrossed and I was unable to put the book down. Having spent some time in Istanbul, and also having lived in Israel for a number of years on a work assignment, I was familiar with the echoes of the stories in this book. Love knows no boundaries, and as Rudolf meticulously planned his search for Gertrude, taking years to bring him to a place where he could eventually begin his quest, he finds that the task is much mor ...more
Irene S
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Searching for Love in Wartime Turkey… Ever since Gertrude was pulled from Rudolph's arms, Rudolph has worked towards finding her. All Rudolph knows is that Gertrude and her family fled Germany in the middle of the night for Istanbul. Eight years later, Rudolph has completed university and managed to secure an administrative job in the German Istanbul office. Rudolph didn't realize how hard it would be to find Gertrude whom he lost touch with 6 years earlier. Rosalyn, a young Jewish American, wan ...more
Ceecee
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my first time experiencing a novel written by this author, and it was a memorable one.

I’m a geek when it comes to the greatest generation, and I tend to over-analyze books set in the era. However, I’m also a true fan of romance. Haggerty blends the two beautifully, making this a mesmerizing novel that can’t be put down.

The entire story is entrancing, the setting is perfect, and the trials and tribulations our characters endure are believable. Historical events are a pivotal part of the
Lindsay
Searching for Gertrude take you on a hunt to find a girl of a young man love. Will he find this true love he lost. The young man is German and he has some issues with his government.

We learn about the laws that are going down in Germany at the beginning of Hitler Resign. The Nazi believed that Germans were not allowed to marry Jews. Will Rulfoff find this love or will Rudolf get his answers by searching for the girl he fell in love with when he was young. Things to go down hill when his love of
Samantha Emily Evans
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s 2am and I just can’t put it down. I’m peeling through the pages of Searching for Gertrude, absolutely riveted. Will Rudolf find his love? Will Rosalyn help the refugees? Will they get caught? Upon first receiving the book, I was put off by its cover. With seven different fonts and a amateur photoshopped image of a black and white bench in a park, I never would have picked it up at a bookstore. How wrong I was! If the author hadn’t reached out to my blog to review her book, I never would hav ...more
Ever Leigh
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Do you like to be swept off to a different time and place? If yes, this is definitely a great choice. I loved the way that Jeanette really sets the scene for novel. I was completely immersed in the year and it felt real to me. Kudos to her for doing her research.

The characters were probably my favorite part. I really enjoyed each of their stories. I didn't feel like anyone was out of place or didn't fit.

The plot was smooth and I liked the way it flowed from chapter to chapter. A quick and easy
R.K. Emery
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
Having read many DE Haggerty novels before, I had high hopes for this and I am happy to say i was not let down!

This is a very character driven novel and I love the fact that Haggerty always gives us both characters to root for and dislike.

My favorite part of this novel was the fact that along the way you don't know what is going to come next. He is on a journey and it could lead him anywhere, but hopefully to Gertrude. There were many surprises and the way that the author was able to keep the
C. Gonzales
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, historical
This is a quick read for anyone who is in the mood for a great escape and a new time and place to dive into. Rudolph is a great lead character. Well developed and intriguing.

The Author uses a great mix of Mystery, History, Romance, and even Humor throughout the story.

I found myself entranced by the story as a whole.
Peggy
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved how this book takes you to a different country and a different time. The realistic feel this book puts off is amazing! The escape from reality that this book will do is great, yes you will find yourself hooked once you start!
Katie Thompson
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think it was beautifully written. It digs a little deeper into the lives of Jewish people during the beginning of the Third Reich's reign. It is romantic, emotional, and suspenseful at times.

I received this book for free from eBook Discovery. I voluntarily review this book. This is my honest review.
LuAnn
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full review to follow by Wednesday, January 10.
Mina Zalnasky
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book as a GoodReads Giveaway. This is a love story written against the backdrop of WW II. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed in the story. I m an, I liked it, but, it left too many unanswered questions.
Anita Rohn
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
History

The second world war and Germans and Jews in Istanbul is some well researched history with a fictional twist that keeps the pages turning.
Julie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh I really liked this book! Rosalyn is a very developed and delightful character. I can just picture her and everything she did seemed in character. Interesting history-does make one wonder (again) do we learn nothing from history?? Liked the cover of the book a lot too-the bench.. The colors
Deb
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In search of a lost love and the people who help him find her.

• The Occupation: Loyalties are pushed to the limits in this powerful wartime saga
  • The Only Blue Door
  • The Point of Light (Historical Fiction #1)
  • Unspoken Words: A Story of the Holocaust
  • The Girl I Left Behind
  • A Fight in Silence
  • A Daughter's Promise
  • The Planter's Wife
D.E. Haggerty is actually just plain old Dena, but she thinks using initials makes her sound sophisticated and maybe even grown up. She was born and raised in the U.S. but considers herself a Dutchie and not only because it sounds way cooler. After a stint in the U.S. Army, she escaped the US to join her husband in Holland. She fled Holland over ten years ago when she couldn’t stand the idea of be ...more