Start by marking “Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft” as Want to Read:
Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft

Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft

Scorn the witch. Fear the witch. Burn the witch.

History is filled with stories of women accused of witchcraft, of fearsome girls with arcane knowledge. Toil & Trouble features sixteen stories of girls embracing their power, reclaiming their destinies and using their magic to create, to curse, to cure—and to kill.

A young witch uses social media to connect with her astro
Published September 1st 2018 by Harlequin Teen (first published August 28th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Toil & Trouble, please sign up.
Kate I received an ARC of this collection from NetGalley at the end of February-- I didn't read the Tristina Wright story, knowing that it wouldn't be…moreI received an ARC of this collection from NetGalley at the end of February-- I didn't read the Tristina Wright story, knowing that it wouldn't be included in the final collection. My review will not include Wright's story, so that future readers can read a review that is most representative of the final product. Hope that helps!(less)

Melanie

ARC provided by HarperCollins in exchange for an honest review.

Friends, when I first heard about this anthology staring witches, I almost sold my soul for it. Instead I sent a begging request to Harlequin, but I would have tried any amount of magic to get my hands on this. And with good reason, because this was nothing short of amazing.

I know this doesn’t come out until late August, a day after my birthday to be exact, but something about this ARC just compelled me to read it this early. And I
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
She didn’t understand she’d done it. We all had, and we were only getting started. She didn’t realize that all her roaring, living, breathing anger could create so much light.

When I heard that this incredible, diverse cast of women were gathering to create an anthology about witches, feminism, queer girls, girls of color, survivors, and so much more, I was sold from the jump. This isn’t something I talk about often online, because it feels like baring my soul a little too much, but much of my
Elise (TheBookishActress)
holy shit, that cover. also: MAKE 👏 THE WITCHES 👏 GAY 👏

Arc received from the publisher via Edelweiss for an honest review. [ releases: August 2018.]
Amalia Gavea
‘’Scorn the witch. Fear the witch. Burn the witch.’’

If we substitute the word ‘’witch’’ with the word ‘’woman’’, we will be able to understand the reasons and motives behind the terrible witch-hunts that left another bloody mark in History. The complexity of women’s psyche, the direct, unbreakable contact, and bonding with Nature, the innate strength to survive, the resilience, the passion, the intelligence. Witches or not, men have always gazed upon women as a possession. If she cannot be ‘’ob
Sana
Nov 19, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
hi in case you didn't know, this has gay witches and it's confirmed by Tess Sharpe. have a nice life waiting for this to come out, you're welcome.
may ➹
Toil and Trouble was a pleasant surprise for me with its enchanting tales of witches, magic, and female empowerment, all written gorgeously. So many of these stories hit me hard, and they were all are so powerful and showed just exactly how magical witches—women—are.

My calculated average rating for the anthology is 3.31 stars, which was much lower than I thought it would be, but I’m giving it an overall rating of 4 stars because my enjoyment level of the anthology as a whole was pretty high, and
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was okay, but Emery Lord’s story was the only real stand out for me. Definitely not my favorite YA anthology.

———

THE LEGEND OF STONE MARY by Robin Talley: 3/5 stars
THE ONE WHO STAYED by Nova Ren Suns: 3/5 stars
DIVINE
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Mathematical average rating (of 13 out of 15 stories): 3.76/5 stars, two not-rated DNFs/didn't read.

I read this anthology back in summer and I finally sat down to edit the notes I made on my phone after each story. I have to say this was one of my most anticipated releases of this year and while I can’t really say that I’m disappointed, I also wish I’d enjoyed more stories. I didn’t downright hate any, but a lot of them were just average for me.

With that said, I did have some favorites:

Why The
Julie Zantopoulos
** ARC provided to me by Harlequin Teen for an honest review. **

I'm going to share my thoughts on each story as I read so please excuse the massive amounts of updates and times this shows on your feed. This book doesn't come out until late August but I've been in such a witchy mood that I had to read it ASAP. Right off the bat, guys, these stories are all so diverse and there's a bunch that are own voices. (yay!) Here are my thoughts.

1. Starsong by Tehlor Kay Mejia - 4 stars
This is a great sto
Candace Robinson
These stories all had their witchiness! But as with almost all the short story anthologies I have read: you have the good, the bad, and the middle man that I’ll call Sam, because I like that name. I definitely preferred the ones that weren’t modern day. And I did expect more from this, but if you like witchy business then I’m sure there will be some here that will be your cup of tea... milk... soda... or whatever the heck it is you drink!!
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
I’d like to start by saying the diversity in this anthology was great. I appreciated the amount of representation but, unfortunately, it wasn’t enough to make the content of the stories great for me. I was not impressed with this anthology at all and I disliked most of the stories. I think the mythology of witches is hard to cover in a short story and where these stories started and ended felt awkward to me.

1. STARSONG by Tehlor Kay Mejia — ✮
In my opinion, this was a weak story to start the ant
TheYALibrarian
RTC in a few hours!!

Edit: Ignore that I'm an idiot thinking I can do a comprehensive review on 15 stories right now so I will say RTC soon!!
Sonja ✧ Badass Wanderer ✧
gay witches?? fuck yes.
description

Helen Power
The title says it all.  This is a collection of 15 short stories about magic and witchcraft, but it’s a lot more than that.  Each of the stories uses fantasy elements as a metaphor for real life experiences and social issues.  I was attracted to this anthology because it was touted as being a diverse anthology, and it does not disappoint.

There are some recurring themes that are worth mentioning, but I’ll avoid any spoilers in this discussion.  This book definitely has literary merit.  Some of th
yeva 🐢
Nov 19, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia-plus, f-f
IT'S CONFIRMED, WE HAVE GAY WITCHES

oh m ygod, i can die happy now
Danyelle
I received this ARC from NetGalley in return for an honest review Thank You NetGalley!

Let me start off by saying while there were few stories that didn't quite get me overall there were some beautiful stories in here about the persecution of witches and even traumatic things that can happen to you that can turn you into a witch in different ways and show you parts of yourself you never knew existed and or help you accept parts of yourself that you weren't willing to before. And while I tended to
Amy Risner
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books, 2018-arcs
ARC provided by Harlequin Teen in exchange for an honest review

First of all, let me just say how much I appreciated this collection of short stories. The authors are so diverse and I absolutely loved the amalgamation of cultures represented here. There is so much rep for LGBTQIAP+, POC, religions, social classes — just, everything! And while I tended to enjoy the spookier stories, I came to realize that this anthology isn’t just about scary-witchy-things, rather it’s about highlighting powerful
Faith Simon
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this title from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is probably without a doubt my most favourite anthology that I've ever read to date. It conjured up so many emotions during my reading experience, grief, happiness, inspiration. These stories made me feel things, which is certainly always a plus when rating a novel. Also, this book was pretty gay, which I always appreciate. I'm not even joking, the majority of this book, gay. Not to mention witches are amazing,
Erin
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best anthologies I have ever read. The editors are to be commended because each story "stood on its own two feet." I just adored that all of our witch characters were diverse women, coming from very different cultures, different periods of time, women who were good friends, daughters, lovers, women exploring their sexuality and or sexual identity. Future readers, prepare yourself for 15 witchy tales. As is my custom, I will be breaking each tale down with their own star rati ...more
Stacee
Between the theme of this anthology and the authors who wrote stories, I was all in.

I really enjoyed this collection. All of the stories were so varied and the voices were fantastically diverse and different. I especially loved the stories from Tess Sharpe, Jessica Spotswood, and Anna-Marie McLemore.

**Huge thanks to Harlequin Teen for providing the arc free of charge**
Juli
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love spooky stories about witches, but they can get a bit trope-y at times. Variations on the same theme. Black cats. Warts. Spells. Incantations. It gets a bit repetitive. Toil & Trouble is a story anthology about witches that gives a new spin to the classic tales. These stories are diverse, creative, and entertaining, with a dash of spooky witchiness.

From love spells that go wrong to witch hunts, these 15 stories celebrate all things Witch....with a empowering, feminist overtone.

Each s
Emma
I think of witches, and understand that there are too many people in this world who would rather see a woman burn than wield power.

4.5 stars.

Toil and Trouble is a collection of stories about witches—tales of girls with powerful secrets, who are always on the fringes of society, whose lives are full of mystery and danger and beauty. And I am not exaggerating even a little bit when I say it’s one of the best anthologies I have ever read in my life.

There are so many different kinds of stories to
Scarllet ✦ Underrated Lit Warrior
This anthology is filled with stories and a cast of characters that carry so much weight and so much power. In average, my ratings ended up a whopping 4.4 but I am not entirely sorry to give this whole book a 5 star rating. It was brilliant! The top four stories that I stan completely are Death in the Sawtooths, The One Who Stayed, The Gherin Girls, and Why They Watch Us Burn.

Starsong by Tehlor Kay Mejia: 4.5 🌟
The starsong is louder now, swelling in a way that says something's coming. Somethin
Stephanie
8- The One Who Stayed by Nova Ren Suma- 4.25 stars
9- Divine Are the Stars by Zoraida Cordova- 3 stars
10- Daughters of Baba yaga by Brenna Yovanoff- 3.5 stars
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft is a YA anthology of short stories featuring contemporary, historical, and futuristic stories featuring witchy heroines who are diverse in race, class, sexuality, religion, geography, and era. History tells us women accused of witchcraft were often outsiders: educated, independent, unmarried, unwilling to fall in line with traditional societal expectations - bold, powerful, an
Robin Bonne
I was excited starting this witchy anthology. Like with all collections, some of the stories were stronger than others. Four of them particularly stood out to me as being phenomenal: The Heart in her Hands by Tess Sharpe, The Legend of Stone Mary by Robin Talley, The One Who Stayed by Nova Ren Suma, and Why They Watch Us Burn by Elizabeth May. These stories are worth picking up a copy of this book.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free copy of this ebook!
Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
This books has lesbians. Lesbians are good. Ergo this book is good.
Aleksandra
Mathematically counted rating= 3,46 stars

She didn't realize that all her roaring, living, breathing anger could create so much light.

First of all, I’m appalled by the lack of content warnings here. Quite a few stories address triggering content. Self-pub is so better at this, but this is a story for another time. I am including CWs after each story, where it's necessary.
Secondly, I was tired of the "female vigilante against awful men" tune. Don't get me wrong, I love myself a good revenge stor
Cori Reed
Brandy Colbert's story was definitely my favourite, and there were a few other gems, but overall just okay.
Play Book Tag: Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women & Witchcraft - 5 stars 2 17 Oct 14, 2018 02:33PM
  • The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats, #2)
  • Unbroken: 13 Stories Starring Disabled Teens
  • Vampires Never Get Old
  • The Anatomy of Curiosity (The Curiosities, #2)
  • The Lost Coast
  • Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean
  • Willful Impropriety: 13 Tales of Society, Scandal  and Romance
  • Spectacle Vol. 1
  • Hungry Hearts: 13 Tales of Food & Love
  • Her Dragon Billionaire (Supernatural Billionaire Mates, #1)
  • Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
  • Welcome Home
  • Paradox
  • Diverse Energies
I do not read my goodreads mail, but if you'd like to contact me the best way to reach me is through my website: http://www.tess-sharpe.com/contact/

Born in a mountain cabin to a punk rocker mother, Tess Sharpe grew up in rural Northern California. She lives deep in the backwoods with a pack of dogs and a growing cabal of slightly feral cats. She is the author of Barbed Wire Heart, the critically-a
“Every woman is never enough; she's always too much. We angered someone, somewhere, for our too muchness.
If to be too much is to be a witch, then I am a witch, and we are all witches. I told this to the other girls, and I heard them all whisper back yes, because to be a witch means our too muchness serves a purpose: it gives us power.”
8 likes
“She’d tell her daughters someday: ‘If you don’t feel safe enough to yell back, you’re not safe enough. My babies, that is not love.” 5 likes