Start by marking “My Solo Exchange Diary Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
My Solo Exchange Diary Vol. 1

My Solo Exchange Diary Vol. 1

(My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness #2)

The sequel to the viral sensation My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness!

In this follow-up to the critical and commercial hit, Nagata Kabi uses engaging diary comics to explore her personal issues surrounding mental health, identity, and intimacy. Her relationship with her parents is growing more difficult than ever, and she struggles with the idea of living alone for the f
Published June 5th 2018 by Seven Seas (first published December 6th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about My Solo Exchange Diary Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Solo Exchange Diary Vol. 1

Jhosy
I don't know what to write in this review. This series has become very personal to me.
Things that I never realized in my life were described here that caught my attention and began to make sense.
This is a very intimate and striking reading as well as exciting. From the drawings that illustrate what goes on in the head of author to the narrative, everything is quite incredible.
I can't wait for the next volume.
A very interesting thing is that the author tells in the story that despite the cover an
Rebecca
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lbgtq, manga, nonfiction
This is much darker than My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness, and it does come with a trigger warning for depression to the point of briefly mentioned suicidal thoughts. More than the previous book, the author is really trying to work through something, and she comes close to it without ever quite getting there. If you've ever suffered from anxiety or depression, her experiences will be very familiar...and for some readers, that might not be a good thing.
Bogi Takács
Intense (I MEAN IT) graphic novel memoir about mental illness, queerness, troubles with family and more. Looking forward to the next volume; I am a splat right now, so no longer comments, but do pick it up if you are interested in the topics. (Content notice: suicide attempt)

Source of the book: Lawrence Public Library
Derek Royal
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what a solo exchange diary was before this book, and now I find the idea fascinating. This is the first volume of Nagata Kabi's own solo exchange, where her present self talks to and comments upon what her former self had thought and done. In this first volume, you clearly see an author grow in many ways -- e.g., leaving the safe (and restrictive) confines of her family's home to her own apartment, learning to get into her own natural rhythm, becoming more disciplined as a writer, ...more
Sarah Schanze
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, miscellaneous
I've been looking forward to this ever since reading Kabi's first book. I really admire her bravery in being so brutally honest with herself and exploring her feelings. It's messy and confusing and there's no real clear answer to anything, and that makes it wonderful and real. I look forward to future volumes.
Tatiana
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first one, I still really liked it. I'm curious what the sequel will hold!
Sofia
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nagata Kabi's work story is very important to me because how relateable her experiences have been, especially with her family and living situation. I hope for the best for her and with the progress she makes, I hope I am able to as well. Lots of love to her💕
Rod Brown
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A solid follow-up to the unique first volume. The author continues to make use of sex workers to alleviate her loneliness and lack of human contact. She also continues to struggle with depression and anxiety.

I like how she formats the book as diary entries that she writes to herself, cheering on her future self or consoling her past self as she struggles through multiple attempts to move out of her parents' house and tries to establish some independence as she nears 30.

The possibility of actuall
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Raw, painful, resonant exploration of life, family, relationships, and loneliness. Truly excellent. Definitely touched on many relatable issues in my own experience. Art is extremely expressive, capturing feels in the most visceral of ways.
Linus
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ah shit, this is so good.

I loved My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness and basically finished it in one go. I also loved this one, but I very deliberately read it bit by bit, spread out over several days.

What I expected was, I don't know, more escort agency experiences maybe? But that's not what this volume is about. Instead, it struck me right in the feels with images for depression, for loneliness, with discussions of emotionally abusive parents and what it means to get away from them.

I cried
usagi ☆ミ
4.5/5 stars.
Sandy
She's so good at conveying intense emotions. It's healing to see these familiar emotions laid out on the page: the blow of parental disapproval; the way praise and support can feel like the sun coming out. She doesn't totally tie her emotional troubles and family issues to her queerness, but in my life I feel that they are connected, and it makes me wonder. I know that all people deal with lonlieness. But the oppression of queer people contributes to our expriences with lonliness and with feelin ...more
D
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sequel of sorts for My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness, My Solo Exchange Diary gives us another look at mangaka Nagata Kabi's life and what happened to her after her manga had been published.

We go back to the themes Nagata has already explored in My Lesbian Experience: her lack of self-esteem, her dependence on her family and their approval, her loneliness, and also her growth as a person. We see a lot more of the latter in My Solo Exchange Diary, where she finally manages to move to her
Maggie Gordon
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
My Solo Exchange Diary is much less about sex than the cover implies. Instead, Nagata Kabi takes on her issues of anxiety and depression, particularly as they relate to her family and living situation. It's another brutally honest look at mental illness and its challenges, and I do wish marketing would stop trying to make the books look so sexy as the topic is so much more nuanced.
tatterpunk
I wish I could slip this book into the hands of every queer woman or girl in the world.

It's intensely personal. Not everyone who picks it up will be Japanese, or gay, or cis, or suffer from emotional abuse or mental health problems. Or a mangaka! It's not trying to be universal, for which I applaud Nagata Kabi -- her book is searingly intimate and honest, with an intensity of self-reflection which makes sure this is no one's story but hers.

I know how rarely that space is allowed for women in g
Diana Gutiérrez
¿Qué puedo decir? Me alegra que la autora siguiera adelante después de lo que nos contó en el primer manga, y me alegra mucho ver que por fin se dio cuenta de cosas que para mí eran DUH desde la adolescencia (pero tampoco soy ella ni soy japonesa). Había cosas en este volumen que deseaba mucho ver y... ¡sucedieron exactamente como imaginaba! (Perra vida)

Es curioso, porque a pesar de que este tomo me parece mejor desde un punto de vista técnico y he podido empatizar más con la protagonista (porqu
Neko McEvil
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nagata once again manages to touch me on a deeply personal level. Her first work My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness is probably one of my favourites in the graphic novel/mangas I read this year as I could relate to several of her experiences with mental illness and coming out and I read it in one sitting despite it being 3-4 AM before I went to bed because I could not put it down. It made me cry and realize things about myself which is often the best takeaway one can get from a memoir.

For tha
Lady
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I hope this woman continues to seek treatment for her depression and anxiety, it can be frustrating at times to read this but I understand her, since I am familiar with depression and anxiety myself. I hope she finds a good support system and an excellent and caring therapist who’ll be able to push her forward since her self-doubt causes her to step on the brakes when her progress is accelerating as she’s getting much of the recognition she deserves especially when she talks about difficult topi ...more
Brandon
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Nagata Kabi's work is important. It's not the kind of thing you read for enjoyment or entertainment. Instead both books she's put out so far are both cathartic as well as emotionally draining. You experience her pain, her frustration, her struggle to do little more than just be able to function knowing exactly how she feels. There's always something in her books that the reader can empathize with and as I've said, that experience is both cathartic as well as emotionally draining.

It's a huge reli
Katja
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good book with its brutal honesty and relatable situations of growing up, discovering self, finding love... It shows how learning to know and accept yourself isn't an easy task and even victories along the way don't guarantee happiness from that point onwards.

It's not quite as striking as My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness but it expands on themes explored in that. Like how Kabi still gets depressed and lonely and how she longs to find human contact. And there's a lot of interesting th
Alexis Sara
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Deeply personal and heart twisting, My Solo Exchange Diary is a story of learning to learn to have hope for yourself. Nagata's life and struggles being portrayed so honestly was something wild and raw. I can't help but root for her and I hope she is doing well in her life. Volume 2 is coming out soonish so I will be able to see but I hope she can find love. Lots of great thoughts in here that could really help you understand emotions more. This is a great story for queer folks looking for solida ...more
Sophie
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kabi Nagata has a real talent of making her mangas so true-to-life and relatable, and I particularly enjoyed the latter half of this manga. Some of it was a bit meta - focusing on her response to the success of MLEWL, which was less of a relatable and shared experience than her other writing, but otherwise, I really enjoyed this book.
Alex
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Kabi doesn't hide anything from her readers, and it's such a wonderful experience to find something of myself in her experiences and feelings occasionally. She's so brutally honest about her depression that it makes the entire ordeal easier to think/talk about, without feeling taboo. A great sequel, looking forward to the next!
Melissa
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
This book picked up my heart and mind, threw them on the ground from the top of a tall building and then raced down to hug me..
Like the first one, this story broke and warmed my heart. It puts into words and pictures feelings that I could never articulate if I had a thousand years and all of the words in existence. Please read this. It is beautiful.
Benjamin Kass
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Continues a great series. Even though she's talking through her own depression, I find it really motivating. Seeing Nagata Kabi continue to make small improvements to her life gives me faith in my ability to work on mine.
Victoria
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This hit home so much harder than the first book! Wow. She really illustrated a lot of the shiiiittttt I’m going through and made it possible to explain it in that way. Thoughts that were jumbled up now have a reference through her art style/explanations. She’s awesome!
Alicia
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a detailed exploration of depression. It was very well done but any recommendation I would make would come with a trigger warning.
Kathryn Kania
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Her voice gets clearer in this, even if her thoughts don't. Kabi nagata, I hope you find peace of mind.
Fenriz Angelo
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mangas
These books resonate so much with me specially with stuff I rarely see portrayed and thought the way I think them...it's kinda weird to read it. Will wait patiently for the next installment.
vostendrasamigos yotengolibros
this is part of a series, but I really want to have the next one now!
Goodreads Librari...: Please, add a number of pages 2 13 Jan 31, 2019 10:44AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions by Kabi Nagata 2 13 Oct 23, 2018 03:16PM
  • Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology
  • My Brother's Husband, Volume 2 (My Brother's Husband Omnibus, #2)
  • Battle Angel Alita - Last Order : Sans Angel, Vol. 13
  • The Inheritance of Shame: A Memoir
  • Cat Diary: Yon & Muu; 猫日記よん&むー; Neko Nikki Yon to Mū
  • Husbands
  • The Bad Doctor
  • 宝石の国 1 [Houseki no Kuni 1] (Land of the Lustrous, #1)
  • Woman World
  • Susceptible
  • To All Corners of the World
  • Hanayome wa Motodanshi
  • QU33R
  • The Tempering of Men (Iskryne World, #2)
  • Lost Soul, Be At Peace
  • All My Darling Daughters
  • Burying the Shadow
  • A Centaur's Life Vol. 1

My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness (3 books)
  • My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness