Start by marking “Your First Triathlon” as Want to Read:
Your First Triathlon

Your First Triathlon

"Your First Triathlon" is the best-selling book for beginner triathletes because it makes preparing for sprint triathlons fun and easy. This clear and comprehensive book prepares aspiring triathletes for the challenge of their first tri through a simple, 12-week training plan that requires fewer than 4 hours a week. By race day, you'll have the confidence and fitness to ...more
Published May 12th 2006 by VeloPress

To ask other readers questions about Your First Triathlon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your First Triathlon

Start your review of Your First Triathlon
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I'm more a runner than a triathlete but triathlon is always something that's been in the back of my head. Your First Triathlon is a good general book with a lot of good information. It is not too overwhelming (leaving aside the training plans) and covers everything fairly well including quite a bit on strength training and nutrition which you don't always find a ton of in other books or it is very cursory.

The initial few chapters were great introduction and well written. I thought the fact that
Scarlett Hill
I like that this book provides separate training plans that work for those who already have a strong sport. All the other plans I've looked at assume a beginner triathlete is a beginner at all three sports.
Michael
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Good but basic - very basic - introduction to triathlon training. Probably would be useful if you have absolutely no background in any kind of endurance sport at all, but even if you know your way around one of the sports that make up a triathlon there’s going to be a lot here that’s redundant.

Also now in need of an update. The tech chapters are very dated now in an age of Apple Watches, Fitbit ,Strava, Zwift, etc. which is a minus.
Kip Harkness
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Decent overview of the sport, the schedule is clunky and requires daily page flipping... a nice calendar app or even PDF with the workouts described on them would be more useful. Also already very dated with no reference to technologies like Fitbit or Strava and how to leverage them. Also an over emphasis on weight loss and calorie restriction without any clear guidance on ideal weights.
Affad Shaikh
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goal- Complete the race with a smile on your face. I like that idea. It works for me. Can't ask for more from a book then what Friel provided, its an excellent beginning point for triathlete noobs like myself. Dismantled some big myths and helped set realistic targets and goals, especially with the training plans.
M-death
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The workouts feel overly simple, but I thought it was a great over all introduction for a newbie to the sport.
Scott
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: triathlon
This was a good book to get started with for a triathlon. It had some great tips and hints. I think I am ready to try my 1st triathlon this year. Chiago Triathlon 2018, here I come!!!
Grace
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty basic information, but nice if you have very little background in endurance sports!
Douglas Lord
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title pretty much sums up what you can expect: Friel clearly covers for beginners the basics of the sport and its components (swimming, biking, running). Information on nutrition, gear, muscular strength, and more adds value and presents multisport as a healthy approach to life. Friel writes clearly, and he’s concerned with providing budding athletes with information that is immediately useful. For example, the sections on what to eat before, during, and after exercise are great. The body ...more
Tiffany
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have been hemming and hawing about whether or not I could finish a triathlon for several years now. I've completed many half marathons, a marathon, and various other running events, but for some reason a TRIATHLON sounded like something scary and completely unattainable. My own fears of failure/inadequacy kept me from even thinking about participating in a tri. I bought this book several years ago and have finally dusted it off from the bookshelf and signed up for a sprint tri! In addition to ...more
Chelsea
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
My first Friel purchase, the Triathletes Training Bible, is *very* advanced-- experienced/professional triathletes are the intended audience. After struggling through that book, I ordered this one and hoped for a similarly thorough book, but for beginners. But this book is too far at the opposite end of the spectrum: too basic, way too short.

Friel makes odd choices about when to be thorough (page after page on the mechanics of weight loss) and when to gloss over details (the swim chapter has no
Rich
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
The first section of the book itself is rather weak - but then again the subject isn't necessarily easy to write about. An exapmle of this is when the author attempts to describe proper stroke technique with words along - no images. This is like trying to describe how a hunter would dress a deer with only words. Many of the ideas in this book could be conveyed much easier if they had visual aids (or even better were taught in person).

The training schedules are where the book seems the most
Chris Maki
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to the sport of Triathlon. I think the real test of this book will be after my first race. I like the way Joe Friel introduces you to the various aspects of the sport and covers all of the equipment you will need. There are several training plans for your first Sprint distance Triathlon (750m swimm/20km bike/5km run) including plans for those that are already swimmers, bikers, or runners. Friel also walks you through your first race, even explaining how to lay out your T1 ...more
Melissalott
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
A good book if you're starting out and self-training for your first triathlon. Didn't give me a ton of new info (I have a family that talks about nutrition, etc a lot) - but gave pointers on training, motivation, goal-setting, and setting up transition areas that make me feel a lot better about doing my first tri in April. The autor made me laugh several times which is good.

A lot of the book is about triathlon as a lifestyle - healthy eating and exercise, etc. Good stuff.

Quick read - I finished
Stéphane Boudreau
Not a bad book, it covers all 3 stages but not at a deep level given it’s an introductory book. I learned a few things about nutrition and swimming, which is the event I will have the least experience on. The book contains 12 weeks’ programs for Sprint and Olympic events. Each event contains a program for beginners in the 3 fields, and programs for experience swimmer, biker, or runner. Given that I have experience in both running and biking I’ll likely merge the programs for experience runner ...more
George
Apr 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Didn't end up racing, so can't rate it too highly.....I'll try again next year!

I think it's good to have a general book on triathlons, so racers know what to expect re: race format, but in my opinion you are better off having a book on cycling, a book on swimming and a book on running. Then create your own workout schedule where you get up to the distances required for each leg. Obviously, your training routine should involve combining legs as well. Good luck!
Magen
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
This helped to ease my fear of the Triathlon I have committed myself to! It was informative yet basic and not overwhelming. I didn't give it the last star for two reasons, one, no pictures (don't judge! I'm a very visual person and diagrams would have been nice), two, I haven't put any of this into practice yet. I will try and remember to update my review after the race. I have a feeling though that I will keep this book close-by through out my training.
Naomi
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a spectacular book for the beginner triathlete. The author offers breakdown of training schedules, nutrition, weight loss and equipment requirements. The author breaks trainings down to races being prepared for a successful race. Furthermore, I love that numerous resources were offered for self-directed trainings. This book was so inclusive in its content that I ended up purchasing it as a resource.
Noelle
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Helpful for a novice, this book briefly covers the basics (motivation, nutrition, swim, bike, run, lift, stretch) and includes training plans. Approachable, and encouraging throughout. Wish it had more detailed information about swimming, and gear. Some of the food suggestions seem strange (soda after the race?!).

I have a used paper copy, will continue to reference the training plan & specified workouts.
Liz
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy-reads
a book everyone should read if they are interested in running a triatholon.... like me :) however - this book doesn't provide you with very advanced training - but provides resources for others ways to get info - important for understanding the triathlete lifestyle and race day
Guillermo Vázquez
Grieta book!

Great advice flor the beginners. From nutrition to workouts to setting up your transition area on the race day!! Definitely a must read if you're planning on racing your first tri
Cameron
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad introduction to Triathlon, been following the program for a couple of weeks. I do like the different bike, run and swim varieties. I would recommend this to anyone getting into the sport.
Angela
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This guide is informative and reassuring. I would have liked the book to include training plans that apply to people who are already fit and capable in more than one sport. The author's plans assume a swimmer can barely run, or a biker can hardly swim.
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, just-the-basics primer on triathlons, training for one, and actually competing in one. From nutrition to workouts to recovery to tips about the mental game, it provided me with everything I needed to know to run and succeed at my first triathlon without providing excessive information.
Richard Hoffman
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: triathlon
Great book backed by Joe Friel's amazing expertise and scientific viewpoints. This book provides basic workouts and outstanding hints for improving athleticism, nutrition, strength and fitness... Enjoy.
Elin
May 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
This is a straight forward "how to" book. It gives you all the guide lines and insights into what is required to do your first triathlon. It is wonderful to have all the tools. Only wish it gave the drive... hmm perhaps I should find a self help book that will inspire. lol :D
Michael Czachor
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you are thinking about competing in a triathlon then this is the first thing you need to buy. You will learn everything you need to know from picking your race, to how to train and what you actually need to finish. It's a must read.
Erin
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Training for my first tri now - happy to have found this book. Not a lot was new info, but helpful to have it in one book as opposed to articles on multiple websites. Would recommend for newbies looking to learn more abt the sport.
Scott Fleming
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great tips for triathlon training. Used it to help my wife train for her 1st triathlon.
Heather
May 06, 2010 rated it liked it
I thought this was helpful and hopefully this will prove to be useful too!

• Finding Ultra, Revised and Updated Edition: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
  • The Lombardi Rules: Twenty-Six Lessons from Vince Lombardi--The World's Greatest Coach
  • Runner's World Big Book of Marathon and Half-Marathon Training: Winning Strategies, Inpiring Stories, and the Ultimate Training Tools
  • El Narco: Inside Mexico's Criminal Insurgency
  • Legacy: What the All Blacks Can Teach Us About the Business of Life
  • How Bad Do You Want It?: Mastering the Psychology of Mind Over Muscle
  • The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
  • Swimming to Antarctica: Tales of a Long-Distance Swimmer
  • Triathlon for the Every Woman: You Can Be a Triathlete. Yes. You.
  • 80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster by Training Slower
  • Hafıza: Yakın Tarihin Kitabı
  • The New Power Program: Protocols for Maximum Strength
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »