Start by marking “Lola Is Missing (Detective Rachel Prince, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lola Is Missing (Detective Rachel Prince, #1)

Lola Is Missing

(Detective Rachel Prince #1)

A MISSING CHILD. A DEAD WOMAN. A SHOCKING MYSTERY.

Detective Rachel Prince is leading the investigation but is soon out of her depth as she searches for the most high-profile missing child in the country. To un
Published February 7th 2018 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Lola Is Missing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lola Is Missing

Meredith
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A complicated detective, a missing child, and a web of lies come together in The Lying Kind.

6-year-old Lola Jade Harper’s disappearance has turned into a media sensation. Missing for several months, the police have found little evidence and are lacking suspects. DI Rachel Prince is brought in to assist the investigation. With the assistance of DS Mark Brickall, Rachel hones in on the minute details of the case and soon finds that the little girl’s life was not all that it seemed. Rachel must t
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: She stirred and stretched as the light in the room changed. Then she opened her eyes. The shiny light from the landing made everything look a different colour, and played a shadow across the wall to her right. It was this that came into her head, waking her.

There was someone in the room.

THE BLURB: Six-year-old Lola Jade Harper is taken from her bedroom. Her mother is distraught. She is convinced her estranged husband, Gavin Harper, has abducted their daughter.

Detective Rachel Prince i
Carrie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Lying Kind by Alison James is the first book in the new police procedural thriller series, Detective Rachel Prince. The book introduces readers to a new detective in Rachel while she investigates a high profile case of a missing little girl. As the investigation goes on there is more and more to be uncovered and solved in this story.

This first look at Rachel and her colleagues was a pretty intense one knowing there was a child who had gone missing without a trace to her whereabouts. Of cours
Dash fan
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5☆ Kept me reading all night

The Lying Kind is a detective cat and mouse chase to find 6 year old Lola Jade when she disappears from her bed in the night.
No clues are left no DNA nothing!

The mother and father are going through a bitter divorce. But is any of them to blame for the disappearance?

I absolutely loved Detective Inspector Rachel Prince and Detective Sergeant Mark Brickall.
The relationship they have together is one of trust, banter, friendship and loyalty.

Rachel is leading the investigat
sue
Lola is missing.
She’s been taken from her bedroom under her parents nose.
No signs of a break in.

As with most cases it’s the parents who are suspected.

The author weaves a good story keeping you on your toes from beginning to end.

I loved the fiesty DI in this as well as her side kick.
The problems they have in real life too.

I’m jumping into book 2 so I’m hoping the leading stars solving crimes I’ll get to know better.

My thanks to Bookoutour via Net galley for my copy
Liz
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up
This book proves how important a good beginning is. It quickly drew me in and kept me invested. DI Rachel Prince is part of the Major Crime Investigative Support team of the National Crime Agency. She’s on the far side of her 30s, single, with a bit of a snarky attitude. I loved her immediately. And I loved her DS, Mark Brickall, even more. “She didn’t correct his insubordinate tone; she would never hear the end of it if she did. It would never end. Instead, like the parent
Louise Wilson
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Six year old Jade Harper is taken from her bedroom. Her mother is distraught. She is convinced her estranged husband, Gavin Harper, has abducted their daughter. Detective Rechel prince is leading the investigation but is soon out of her depth as she searches for the most high-profile missing child in the country. Rachel must untie the Harper families complicated web of secrets and lies. As the case progresses, the body of a local woman is found. Then another little girl is taken.....

This is the
sue
Sep 08, 2018 added it
I’m moving my review to this title change.

Lola is missing.
She’s been taken from her bedroom under her parents nose.
No signs of a break in.

As with most cases it’s the parents who are suspected.

The author weaves a good story keeping you on your toes from beginning to end.

I loved the fiesty DI in this as well as her side kick.
The problems they have in real life too.

My thanks to Bookoutour via Net galley
Helga
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, crime, mystery, series
First book in a new series (yay!), The Lying Kind is a well written, gripping and suspenseful mystery thriller.
When I began the book, I thought this is going to be a 3 or maybe 4 star read, but as the story progressed and the twists kept coming, I couldn’t put the book down.
I loved the way each character was sketched and could actually picture them while reading. The story itself was kind of tragic and heartrending.
6 year old Lola Jade is missing and it is up to Detective Rachel Prince and her
Brenda
The case of the abducted six-year-old Lola Jade Harper was some months old when Detective Inspector Rachel Prince and her team were called in to put fresh eyes and an investigative mind onto the case. Re-interviewing the child’s mother, Michelle Harper, and her soon-to-be ex-husband Gavin, Rachel could feel vibes telling her that something was off in the whole case. Then when Gavin Harper disappeared, the immediate thought was that Lola Jade must be with him. But was she?

As Rachel uncovered lie
Adrian Dooley
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well well well. Hopefully this is the first in a long series as I though this one was great.

Detective Rachel Prince is our central character here. She is part of the Major Crime Investigative Support Team of the National Crime Agency. She gets assigned to an old ongoing case of a missing child, a 6 year old girl called Lola Jade Harper. She has been missing for 6 months and her parents are estranged. The mother is blaming the father for the disappearance, insinuating that he has molested her, w
Renita D'Silva
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love reading crime and there is nothing I like more than discovering a series that I love and an author that I want to read more of. And this book, this author is definitely one of those! Oh what a wonderful, gripping, tense and brilliant book! What a spectacular start to a series! The characterisation is second to none, the characters so real that I looked up from the story and expected them to be beside me. I was thinking of this book in the rare moments when I was able to wrench myself away ...more
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
I chose to request this book because I never have a bad experience with Bookouture’s choices of thrillers and this was another fantastic crime thriller! This book had me turning pages and was quite gripping! There was complex characters and I felt were relateable. Highly recommended! I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. To find this review and others please visit touchmyspinebookreviews.com
Aoife
I received an e-copy of this book from the publisher/author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a detective crime thriller that is the first in a series about female investigator Rachel Prince. Prince and her partner are brought into help with the case of a missing child, who vanished from her home in the middle of the night. Prince ends up having to go back to the beginning of the crime to figure out what's really going on and who in the child's family is actually telling the
Shalini
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A child, Lola Jade is abducted from her home, and the mother directs blame on her estranged husband. The police investigate thoroughly but are left with no clues. The case is then handed over to Detective Rachel Prince, along with her partner Brickall, goes deeper into this abduction. Then comes the murder of a woman along with the abduction of a second child…

Is everything connected? Are the darker parts of life in play? Is this the underbelly of a gruesome crime? Is Lola Jade alive?

This is my
Courtney Smyth
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Lying Kind the first book in the New Inspector Rachel Prince series by Alison James, and all I can say is what an opener!! 😱😱

Six year old Lola Jade Harper has gone missing from her bedroom overnight. With her parents caught in messy divorce proceedings, could either be involved or has something untoward and completely unrelated happened to Lola?

The body of a young mother is found cold in her bed, seemingly unrelated, but her social media use may hold the key to the case.

This book had me on t
Book Addict Shaun
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m storming through the Bookouture catalogue at the minute and I am experiencing a few hits and a few misses. Well, what a book The Missing Child was. It’s marketed as a crime fiction novel however after reading it I can say that it’s full of elements that would make for a fantastic psychological thriller. The storyline is absolutely twisted and I loved it. I cannot wait to read more from Alison James if this is the standard of work she is going to be creating.

Our main character is Rachel Prin
Mandy White
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Oh my goodness I love Detective Rachel Prince.... what a great character! She cares about her cases and the people around her. She has secrets and desires that make her a very believable character.

Rachel and her partner are brought in to help find young Lola Jade Harper who has gone missing. They find that all is necessarily as it seems and despite her running injuries will stop at nothing to find Lola.

I can't wait to see how this series and character develops. I hope book 2 is not too far away
Monnie
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What makes a winner in my book? One way I can tell is when life intervenes - like fixing dinner or putting laundry in the machine - I'll do whatever it takes to keep on reading, if only for a few more minutes. That certainly happened here. If you don't believe me, just ask my husband, who's rather hungry by now (on second thought, don't; my "Just one more chapter, hon" defense is starting to wear thin).

Not only is the book very well written, but it's reminiscent of another of my favorite series:
Eva
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Lying Kind is the first book in a brand-new police procedural series featuring Detective Rachel Prince and what a great start it is! Rachel works for the National Crime Agency, previously known as Interpol. When six year old Lola Harper goes missing from her bedroom at home, her mother instantly points the finger at her estranged husband. The investigation will take Rachel all the way to Portugal and back, while also having to deal with a bit of a complicated personal life.

I must admit that
Thebooktrail
Well hello Rachel Prince. What a breath of fresh air you are! She needs to eat more though, as I worried for her during the investigation and she must be attractive as she’s very popular! Nothing gets in her way of getting to the crux of the investigation though which I did admire about her.

The story of a missing child starts one way and before you know it, lands in very different territory! There’s a bit of a trail too from London, Surrey, Spain and Portugal which is a nice change and at times
Stephen Clynes
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follow Detective Rachel Prince as she searches for a missing 6 year old girl in Surrey. This is a regular British crime thriller, full of police procedure and the lives of the police officers involved.

I found The Lying Kind to be a GOOD read with strong characterization of the main investigating police officers and the girl’s parents. I liked all the extra bits thrown into this story concerning the private lives of the police officers. I liked the contrast between Detective Rachel Prince’s heal
Vicki - I Love Reading
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Alison James

The Lying Game

Rachel Prince Book 1.

Well It looks like i may have just found myself another Series of books to follow.

For book one this was a great read. It felt that it wasn’t over complicated and made it easy to follow the story, yet it gripped me right from early pages. I was eager to get to know the character of Rachel Prince, and excited to see which direction the book would go.

As usual I kept second guessing what I thought was going to happen, but oh how wrong was I.

Lola Jade Ha
Donna Maguire

I as really excited to get started on this book, I always love the start of a new series and meeting the new characters and after seeing the cover and reading the blurb for this one I was sure I would be in for a treat!!

The plot was gripping and really well thought out - it kept me fully engaged through out and it was a real page turner for me. I really enjoyed the character interaction and can't wait for more in this series. The writing style and pace was
Kim
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, net-galley
This was a brilliant start to a great new series by Alison James (also a new author to me). She’s created a great detective who is leading a case looking into a crime committed a few months previously with no recent progress.
A little girl went missing from her own home whilst the parents were having a party without them realising that she had gone, initially. They look into the parents and what they might be hiding. The characters are really well drawn and interesting. When a murder and another
Alina
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Headstrong, sassy, and determined Rachel Prince is my new favorite detective.

A case of missing six-year-old Lola Jade Harper comes across Rachel's desk. Upon visiting Michelle Harper, child's mother, detective and her sidekick sense something odd about her. Michelle does not sound nor act like a greaving mother, and strangely enough, she does not seem to be eager to help detectives locate her missing child. However, Michelle does not waste any time and blames her soon to be ex-husband Gavin Harp
Renita D'Silva
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenny
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I loved loved loved it!
I really got sucked into this mystery from the very first page. Interesting characters... some to love and some to hate. There were plenty of twists and turns... and lots fun trying to work out what happened to the missing girl.
For lovers of British mystery, I would recommend this 100 %
Susan Johnson
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Rachel Prince is called in to take over an investigation of a missing child whose trail has gone cold. Six year old Lola Jade Harper was taken from her home months ago. Her parents are in the middle of a bitter divorce and child custody battle. Each blames the other. It sounds like a plot you've read before but this is a fresh take on it. Although it becomes apparent who did the dastardly deed, it's interesting to see how it unravels.

Prince has her own hang-ups. Her marriage is weird to say the
Haley
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ng
*I received a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I enjoyed this book and thought it was a solid mystery. While there was some good twists there was nothing overly shocking about it. It was interesting enough to keep me reading but not something I would need to stay up late to finish.

I thought Rachel's character was good. She was a smart detective who took her job seriously and I liked her and Marks relationship. I think her personal life and backstory could have been a little b
I was born in the Cotswolds but spent most of my formative years abroad. I studied languages at Oxford, then became a journalist and author, returning to university after my two children to take a law degree. After a three-year stint as a criminal paralegal, I worked as a commercial copywriter and then a TV storyliner, before coming full circle to write fiction again.

Detective Rachel Prince (3 books)
  • Now She's Gone (Detective Rachel Prince Book 2)
  • Perfect Girls (Detective Rachel Prince #3)
“was made irritated and on edge” 0 likes