Start by marking “Hedgehog!” as Want to Read:
Hedgehog!

Hedgehog!

Hedgehog is hogging the hedge and won't let the other animals live there. In this humorous political allegory, he learns that it's not a winning strategy.

Winter is coming, and the animals need homes. The worms move in with the ground hogs. The possums share a burrow with the foxes. The birds and the squirrels stay in the oak tree together. The hedgehog lives in the hedge .
Published May 8th 2018 by Penguin Random House, Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about Hedgehog!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hedgehog!

Start your review of Hedgehog!
Sandra
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it

Sweet story about a grumpy hedgehog who has problems sharing. He will understand the importance of helping when he himself needs help from his neighbor. Beautiful illustrations.

I received this copy in an Early Reviewers Giveaway in LibraryThing.
Morris
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the lessons taught in this story about sharing and how it may be you in need someday. Neighbors helping neighbors is something all ages can stand to remember. The illustrations are fun and bright. I recommend it.

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
When winter comes, Hedgehog is warm and comfy in his hedge home. When other animals need a place to stay, they ask if they can share the hedge. He will not even consider it, but the grasshopper under the hedge is more than generous with his space. When Hedgehogs anger causes him to destroy his home, he shows up, hat in hand, to ask if he can move in with grasshopper and the others. The generous animals welcome him with open arms. Hedgehog learns a valuable lesson about being kind and generous wi ...more
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cute story of the consequences of not sharing, especially when you have a lot, and you could share.

The pictures are cute. The hedgehog is obviously in the wrong, and the grasshopper is in the right, but kids will be able to figure that what the hedgehog is doing by, well hogging the hedge is not the right thing to do.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Gina
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
The first time we lay eyes upon the titular Hedgehog(!) he is peeking out his front door while glaring and shaking his fist, so I knew he was made for me right away. He is totes grumpy and doesn't appear to want to share his space or socialize (again, very relatable). Does he end up changing his mind and joining the rest of the party animals under the hedge??! Well...you'll just have to read it and find out! ...more
Kaethe Douglas
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hedgies
The FIRST robotics team of which my highschool student is a member is the Hedgehogs, so now I can't walk by a book with a hedge theme. Cute text, energetic art. It has an obvious moral, but the tone is light enough to pull it off. Plus, pie!

Library copy
Beth
When a hedgehog refuses to share his hedge, he soon finds himself in need of asking others to share with HIM.
Emily
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really love hedgehogs and kids books so this was all around a good time lol
Amber
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
Precious! A valuable lesson is taught.
Ashley
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Interesting little book about being generous and welcoming...kinda treat others as you'd like to be treated. A nice change of heart when he looses his home and looks for a place to stay. ...more
Emma
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE hedgehogs.
Silvis Library
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile, shay
Cute art style. Nice moral about kindness, sharing, not being greedy, and not being mean to people just because they've been mean to you. Casually educational about where animals go in the winter for shelter and how some share their homes with others.

~Shay
Elevetha
*An ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Not quite all I hoped from a book about a hedgehog :(

The illustrations have very little merit, but I can honestly say they're far from the worst I've seen. The story seemed mostly like political propaganda, but its possible I was misreading that. Another basic children's book about the rewards of 'sharing is caring', nothing particularly special about it.
Storywraps
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I truly love this book. I took one look at the front cover picture and I was hooked before I even opened it.

A crotchety, grumpy hedgehog thinks he has sole rights to live in the hedge. He contently lives there all by himself with nobody to bug him.

All the animals around him are scurrying and flying around trying to acquire adequate accommodation for their families. Winter is fast closing in and they need a warm, cozy place to reside for the cold season.

The displaced homeless animals need shel
Shaina Cade
I picked up this book because a grumpy hedgehog was pulling a very cute Winnie the Pooh stuck-in-the-entrance-to-Rabbit’s-abode type front and back cover and it beheld a beautiful pun. And then I died by the first page, festooned with animals preparing for winter, including a cat knitting on a fence!! and a bumble giving their love a flower and a cricket?? driving around a log tour bus for this bustling garden. And of course, the eponymous hedgehog, looking out his blue hedge door, shaking his l ...more
Sharon
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, childrens
Tundra Books and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Hedgehog! I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

The first thing I noticed was the whimsical illustrations that tell the story of Hedgehog, who likes to be by himself despite all of the company just outside his door. As he continues to proclaim that the hedge belongs to him, Hedgehog soon realizes that being alone is not all it is cracked up to be.

Children will enjoy the colorful pages, while
Diana
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the garden was busy with all of the animals getting ready for winter. it describes where each of the animals live (hive, burrow, tree, underground).hedgehog lives in the hedge by himself which is just what he likes. grasshopper lives under the hedge. badger says the burrow's full can I come in the hedge and selfish hedgehog says NO! he looks really irritated. grasshopper says that badge can stay with him under the hedge. more animals come and want to stay in the hedge but hedgehog turns them all ...more
Sarai Henderson
I always review books like this with my four year old. This way I get the most genuine reaction possible.

The story kept my son involved through the whole thing. That's hard for a four year old to do. He loved the pictures and laughed when I kept saying Ding Dong! My son enjoyed it, but I didn't get that "Let read it again," reaction.

From a mom point of view. I thought the art was pretty good, there was a lot going on in the pictures and sometimes I thought it made it a little overwhelming for t
J David
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hedge Hog! is written and beautifully illustrated by Ashlyn Anstee. It is a picture book for young children who can read it themselves before too long. A story about sharing. As winter approaches the animals begin to find their dens, nests and caves for the cold winter soon to arrive. Many of the animals share their homes with other species of animals but the hedgehog refuses to share until his home is destroyed and now he needs to share with other animals who gladly take him in. Imaginative ill ...more
Richelle Zirkle
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hedgehog lives a solitary life in his hedge, and he likes it that way. Grasshopper lives under the hedge. Though he lives alone, he's happy to welcome others to join him under the hedge. As the animals continue to arrive and space fills up, hedgehog loses his cool and destroys his own home. How fortunate for him that Grasshopper is ready to welcome him. The illustrations are functional for story support and done in a muted color palette.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest
Barbra
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
As all the animals get ready for winter, they make provision for those that have no homes. Hedgehog lives in the hedge by himself and he likes it that way. As he continues to turn friends away, grasshopper who lives under the hedge invites them in. In an effort to deter anyone from coming he ruins his domain. When he approaches grasshopper, he is kindly welcomed. This tale of selfishness, caring and sharing provides plenty of ways to talk to young readers about forgiveness.
Jane G Meyer
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What I loved about this book was how developmentally appropriate the text is. The hedge hog is territorial, and likes to say, "mine!" Two-year-olds can relate :)

I feel like the illustrations could be more charming, with better line and color work, and the faces of the characters could have been drawn with a little more subtlety. There are lost opportunities in the art for some whimsy, humor, and for the book to carry over to a slightly older age group.
The Brothers
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Winter is coming and Hedgehog is very comfortable in his home that's he's made for himself in the hedge. Alas, the garden is crowded and many animals are still looking for places to live. Grasshopper below Hedgehog welcomes one and all while Hedgehog refuses to allow a single one. Then, disaster strikes! Hedgehog learns an important lesson in kindness and being a good neighbor.

Illustrations are good.
Grace & Zoe
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-the-library
This was a fun little book about a hedgehog who refuses to share his hedge with a variety of other animals... a decision that may come back to bite him. It's a great book about sharing. It might have been a little simplistic for my six-year-olds, but heaven knows they could always use a refresher lesson in sharing, and they got a kick out of the pictures of the various animals (the illustrations are great). ...more
Ashlyn Stelmach
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Probably closer to a 3.5 star, but I couldn’t bring myself to round up to 4 on here.

I read this because I saw the author had my name. Ultimately, this was pretty cute but it could’ve been better. This hedgehog is selfish and he doesn’t want to help his fellow animals. Lessons are learned and I think this would be a great book to read to young children but I also think there are better books to read to them.
Jessica McAllister
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
This was a simple book with a simple, but important message about the importance of sharing with others. This would be a good book to introduce little ones to the idea of sharing. Plus I love hedgehogs so points for that! Overall, it was an ok book with a good message.

I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jenny Houle
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased opinion.

This book was cute... shows kids that by refusing to share and hoarding resources, you may actually hurt yourself more in the long run. Also that those who have less are often more likely to help others. It wasn't spectacular, but was still cute.
Andrew
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This little hedgehog doesn't want to share his hedge as winter approaches and all the forest critters need a place to stay. He learns how it's good to be kind and generous in times of hardship to others, when his home collapses and he needs to stay at his neighbor Grasshopper's, who lives below his hedge. Mostly dialogue, would make a very fun read aloud book. ...more
Ana
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A larger message here about inclusion and empathy; about compassion and community. Building fences may keep people (or in this case, garden animals) out, but it also isolates us, preventing unity, forward progress, and working together towards common goals. All great themes to share and discuss with little readers.
Anthony
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, children-s
All the animals were preparing for winter, everyone except for Hedgehog, who was hogging the hedge, and not letting anyone live there. Grasshopper who lived underneath allowed others to move in. When disaster strikes, and destroys Hedgehog's quarters, he's forced to seek shelter, under the hedge, and to his surprise he is welcomed by all who lived there. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Butts Are Everywhere
  • Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
  • Woodland Dreams
  • Big Boys Cry
  • Giraffe Problems
  • The Couch Potato (The Bad Seed, #4)
  • Whale in a Fishbowl