Start by marking “RetroSuburbia” as Want to Read:
RetroSuburbia

RetroSuburbia

This 500 page manual shows how Australians can downshift and retrofit their homes, gardens, communities and, above all, themselves to be more self-organised, sustainable and resilient into an uncertain future. It promises a challenging but exciting mix of satisfying work, a more meaningful way of living and hope for the next generation.

RetroSuburbia is divided into three m
Published February 10th 2018 by Melliodora

Start your review of RetroSuburbia
Richard Telford
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm biased, because I'm one of the many households featured in the book.
Saying that, there were many areas included in David's work that have helped improve my understanding of how I can be more effective in living more simply in a suburban environment.
Of particular note is in the 'Behavioural Field', an area not often considered as part of permaculture design.
The book has given me some much needed direction in how I can build community around me whilst modeling the world I want to live in.
Selina
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A much easier, updated look at 30 years of permaculture written by one of it's founders, and how it can apply to the suburbs.
I'm thinking as I read it, some of it sounds eerily similar to 'prepping' for the coming apocalypse. I'm also wondering if Mr Holmgren has a car, and whereabouts exactly does he live he says Mellidora, Melbourne, but is that actually in the suburbs or out in the country?
Is this retroSuburbia permaculture just a philosophy for city rat racers who want to go back to the lan
Rosemary
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've heard David Holmgren speak twice: once about Peak Oil about 10 years ago, and once recently about this book. He is always interesting to listen to, is well read and has a lot of ideas. The Peak Oil emergency didn't eventuate, but Holmgren believes a 2020 Great Depression may occur if the property bubble bursts. This book is about ways to become more resilient in the face of uncertain futures.

It is very large book which I would recommend to people planning to buy or rent in the suburbs. As I
MaryMargaret Ragno
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: continuous-read
I was so inspired by Holmgren's earlier writings that I committed his 12 Principles to memory so that I could carry them with me through my days. RetroSuburbia continues his good work. It's apparent that a tremendous amount of time has gone into creating this big book. I welcome it as a kind of study text for living well with our land and with others. Deeply grateful ... highly recommend! ...more
M - The long hot spell
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing grassroots book, filled to the brim with ideas for downsizing, living more sustainably, frugally, simply - and doing it in the ‘burbs.

So much to think about. I borrowed it from the library but I may get it again sometime. It’s nearly 600 pages.
Nathan Chattaway
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thoughtful and practical guide to a likely future living arrangement. Permaculture for the mainstream Aussie. I'd love to see more manifesto and local govt reclamation content for the 5 star rating which has just eluded Mr Holmgren. ...more
Glenis
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love this book, very useful and has lots of tips for both beginners and those who already have a handle on permaculture. My only criticism is that it says it is for both homeowners and renters yet as a renter there was limited application for a lot of the book. It would have been nice to have some more sections that considered renters.
-... .-. . .- - .... .
May 12, 2020 marked it as back-burner
Shelves: nature-babes

Now available online for donation.
Bonnie Mills
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic extensive and fascinating guide to sustainability in many different facets of life.
Megan
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Loved it from beginning to end and now re-reading
Jade
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Loads of information but not very engaging.
Colleen
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A thorough tome on the myriad ways to become a more sustainable and self-sustaining hosehold. Written specifically for Australians, but there is much to be gleaned by Americans like me.
Dale
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
Both incentive and informative.
Something to be referred to before considering downshifting... it's possible to do so and stay right where you are, or it might mean that something you thought was out of reach isn't. If you've made the shift; afterwards because what you thought you might or could do, it so often changes when you're actually there and doing it. David Holmgren really does know his stuff; it's wonderful that he has addressed the gap where many of us who already have a house and yard
Bec  Shann
Jul 26, 2020
Luke Dudney
Aug 03, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Author incorrect & delete edition 2 26 Feb 28, 2018 03:10AM

• The Weed Forager's Handbook
  • The Art of Frugal Hedonism: A Guide to Spending Less While Enjoying Everything More
  • Milkwood: Real skills for down-to-earth living
  • Dark Emu
  • This One Wild and Precious Life: A Hopeful Path Forward in a Fractured World
  • Miracles and Other Reasonable Things: A Story of Unlearning and Relearning God
  • Tilly and the buttons stretch [flexibound], love at first stitch, coco dress 3 books collection set
  • In the Dream House
  • Sand Talk: How Indigenous Thinking Can Save the World
  • Group: How One Therapist and a Circle of Strangers Saved My Life
  • Journey to 100: How to run your first 100km ultramarathon - and love it
  • Weapons of Mass Instruction: A Schoolteacher's Journey Through The Dark World of Compulsory Schooling
  • Roar
  • Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor
  • The Things She's Seen
  • Natural Born Heroes: How a Daring Band of Misfits Mastered the Lost Secrets of Strength and Endurance
  • Finding My Feet: My Story