Start by marking “RetroSuburbia” as Want to Read:
RetroSuburbia

RetroSuburbia

This 500 page manual shows how Australians can downshift and retrofit their homes, gardens, communities and, above all, themselves to be more self-organised, sustainable and resilient into an uncertain future. It promises a challenging but exciting mix of satisfying work, a more meaningful way of living and hope for the next generation.

RetroSuburbia is divided into three
Published February 10th 2018 by Melliodora

Start your review of RetroSuburbia
Richard Telford
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm biased, because I'm one of the many households featured in the book.
Saying that, there were many areas included in David's work that have helped improve my understanding of how I can be more effective in living more simply in a suburban environment.
Of particular note is in the 'Behavioural Field', an area not often considered as part of permaculture design.
The book has given me some much needed direction in how I can build community around me whilst modeling the world I want to live in.
Rosemary
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've heard David Holmgren speak twice: once about Peak Oil about 10 years ago, and once recently about this book. He is always interesting to listen to, is well read and has a lot of ideas. The Peak Oil emergency didn't eventuate, but Holmgren believes a 2020 Great Depression may occur if the property bubble bursts. This book is about ways to become more resilient in the face of uncertain futures.

It is very large book which I would recommend to people planning to buy or rent in the suburbs. As I
MaryMargaret Ragno
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: continuous-read
I was so inspired by Holmgren's earlier writings that I committed his 12 Principles to memory so that I could carry them with me through my days. RetroSuburbia continues his good work. It's apparent that a tremendous amount of time has gone into creating this big book. I welcome it as a kind of study text for living well with our land and with others. Deeply grateful ... highly recommend!
Nathan Chattaway
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thoughtful and practical guide to a likely future living arrangement. Permaculture for the mainstream Aussie. I'd love to see more manifesto and local govt reclamation content for the 5 star rating which has just eluded Mr Holmgren.
Selina
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A much easier, updated look at 30 years of permaculture written by one of it's founders, and how it can apply to the suburbs.
I'm thinking as I read it, some of it sounds eerily similar to 'prepping' for the coming apocalypse. I'm also wondering if Mr Holmgren has a car, and whereabouts exactly does he live he says Mellidora, Melbourne, but is that actually in the suburbs or out in the country?
Is this retroSuburbia permaculture just a philosophy for city rat racers who want to go back to the
Jade
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Loads of information but not very engaging.
Naomi Toftness
Mar 14, 2019
Kym
Sep 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Author incorrect & delete edition 2 24 Feb 28, 2018 03:10AM

• Dark Emu
  • The Art of Frugal Hedonism: A Guide to Spending Less While Enjoying Everything More
  • Skylarking
  • The Arsonist: A Mind on Fire
  • Deterring Democracy
  • Tilly and the buttons stretch [flexibound], love at first stitch, coco dress 3 books collection set
  • The Weed Forager's Handbook