Start by marking “Phryné Isn't French” as Want to Read:

Phryné Isn't French

Phryné Isn't French is the life story of one woman's journey through the years prior to, during and immediately following World War II.

Phryné Truffaut traveled from Hollywood, California, to Rouen, Normandy and Margate, Kent to discover that the end of her rainbow was still just out of reach.
Published November 24th 2017 by Create Space

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Nov 11, 2017
    Discover how a fallen flapper deals with the sequined stars of Hollywood, confronts espionage, manages infidelity, withstands incarceration, survives ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 1330 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Sep 30 - Oct 28, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Phryné Isn't French, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phryné Isn't French

Start your review of Phryné Isn't French
    Sharon Huether
    Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: historical-novel
    Edward Hackemer
    Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    ¤¤Goodreads asks authors to review their work.¤¤
    Phryné Isn't French tells of the struggles, heartbreaks, misfortunes and tragedies faced by a fallen flapper from 1925 through 1945. It's a story of lessons learned, perseverance and cautious optimism in a world turned upside down.
    "If you dare to dance barefoot you can feel the Earth move, but don’t let him step on your toes."
    Debbi DuBose
    Phryne might not be French but she is an immensely charming lady. I thoroughly cherished every minute I spent reading PHRYNE ISN'T FRENCH by the amazing Wordsmith Edward R Hackemer.
    Our story begins in 1945, when Phryne walks into the Flying Pig Pub in Kent, England, and sits down to have a drink with pub regular, Desmond. She's there to look for a pilot, Morris Sutcliffe, that she nursed back to health in Paris, France. Phryne decides to tell Desmond her story:
    It was 1935 and Phryne was living w
    Renate Dusquesne
    Four and a half stars! but I rounded it up! Thank you Mr Hackemer for sending me a review copy. I thought Phryne was flawed beyond redemption by her past but as the story unfolded, she came to see the error in her ways, although much of what happened in her past was beyond her controlled. I only gave it four and a half stars (like Phryne!) because I wanted the story to continue! I hope it does. Are you listening Mr Hackemer?!
    Judy
    Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: finished
    Thank you Mr. Hackemer from Pirkle Woods, Georgia for sending me this book. Phryne is a full blown character with humanity and flaws that I would definitely like to hear more of. The history from the 20's to the 40's is is a perfect back drop and stage setting. Because the writing is so engaging, I might start the Throckmorton Novels.
    Kim Bakos
    Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: giveaways
    It took me awhile to get into this book - even at the halfway point, I wasn't sure I was going to think it was worth reading. The author does a great job at portraying the period of the 30's and 40's by using all the language and settings of that time period, so much so that he puts the words you might not be familiar with at the end of the book.
    I haven't read any of the author's any other books, so his writing and the character Phryne were new to me. I wasn't a fan of her values, or more like t
    Michelle Staab
    📚 Review! ⭐️⭐️⭐️ Phryne Isn’t French has the most heartwarming ending. It took me until the end of the book to fall in love with Phryne. I almost stopped a couple times but I’m glad I kept reading. It was slow going at times and there were a couple parts where the author seemed to jump ahead. I felt that the end notes and explanations for phrases that were asterisked were for the most part unnecessary and a little distracting at first. Overall I did enjoy the book!
    Donna
    I just finished reading Phryne isn't French. It was such a wonderful story about Phryne and all of her adventures in Hollywood and Paris and her many loves. She was quite a lady who endured much and became a better person because of it.

Mr. Hackemer is avery talented writer and I have read a lot of his stories before. He never fails with a great story to tell.

Please read this as you will love it as I did.

Received this copy of my book from the author and I am so very grateful.
    Melissa B
    Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    As with his previous books, Edward Hackemer makes his characters reachable, believable and like "the boy or girl next door." I loved the storyline, his sense of humor, along with his extensive notations at the end filling in the blanks in my historical knowledge and vernacular of that time period. I also like the time contemporary musical notations. Bravo on a job well done, yet again!
    Lynette Murphy
    Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    It was a book like none ever I had ever read. At first I didn't like it much but the footnotes, the odd stuff at the back of the book were very interesting. Then before I knew it I got caught up in the story line wondering what was going to happen next.
    Kathy Church
    Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book is excellent. I enjoyed reading Phryne's story. This book would make a good movie. Phryne is a strong and determined woman surviving all that comes her way. I would like to hear more about her life. Maybe a second book will be forthcoming?
    Judie Dooley
    Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: finished
    I
    was gifted this book from the author and found it very good reading as I did with his other books. It gave an inside look into some of the things that went on during WWII that are not told in history books. The story was well told and kept me up late at night turning pages. The characters and settings were realistic and it was easy to loose yourself in the story line.
    I also enjoyed reading the end notes-the words and everything else at the end of the book. Also thank you for including the gr
    Vikki Vaught
    Donna Shaw
    Pam Mooney
    Wanda C
    Apr 14, 2018
    Advanced Copies f...: Fallen flapper historical romance Review Request 6 45 May 13, 2019 05:41AM

• The Peer and the Puppet (When Rivals Play, #1)
    • Fallen King (Court of the Sea Fae, #2)
    • The Air He Breathes (Elements, #1)
    • About Grace
    • The Outcast Girls
    • The Little French Bistro
    • Fall from Grace
    • The Darkest Evening of the Year
    • Not Her Daughter
    • The Zookeeper's Wife
    • The Silent Wife
    • The Hunter (Boston Belles, #1)
    • The Last Train to London
    • The Eyes of Darkness
    • One Second After (After, #1)
    • One Year After (After, #2)
    • The Final Day (After, #3)
    • Black Rose (In the Garden, #2)
    ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
    Edward R Hackemer lived in Western New York for 55 years before retiring from government service and moving to North Georgia; roughly halfway between Atlanta & North Carolina.
    His college education was abbreviated by induction into the US Army in 1968. Ed's civilian employment history runs from paperboy, dishwasher, paper mill laborer, laboratory technician, warehous