Start by marking “INSPIRED: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love” as Want to Read:
INSPIRED: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love

INSPIRED: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love

How do today’s most successful tech companies—Amazon, Google, Facebook, Netflix, Tesla—design, develop, and deploy the products that have earned the love of literally billions of people around the world? Perhaps surprisingly, they do it very differently than the vast majority of tech companies. In INSPIRED, technology product management thought leader Marty Cagan provides

Published November 20th 2017 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about INSPIRED, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about INSPIRED

Start your review of INSPIRED: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
Adam Wiggins
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
"Inspired" is a well-written, thorough, and down-to-earth work covering all aspects of product management at software companies.

To paraphrase/summarize: the job of the product manager is to discover a product that is useful, feasible, and valuable. They do this through understanding users and potential users in detail and evaluating opportunities to solve problems for those users. Once an opportunity is identified, they create a prototype, validate the prototype with users, then work with engine
Ellen Chisa
I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't read this book until today. I's pretty a concise summary of all the other articles, books, and conversations that I've had in the field. You could probably save a lot of time by reading this book when you're first interested in PM, rather than after doing it for four years. (But re-read it then, too!)

I particularly liked that he discussed:

- Clear definition of role separation and responsibilities of marketing, PM, interaction design, development.
- The emphasis on
Chris Kang
Inspired is pretty high level and tends to focus more on the organizational challenges related to product development. I feel that there are some better resources out there (especially online blogs) if you as a product manager are looking for strong guidance at a more tactical level. Although, the SVPG website has some useful resources. I kept putting off reading this book, and after having experienced the growing pains as a PM and other major organizational transitions, most of the insights the ...more
Adam Zabell
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
tl;dr - products need prototypes, are grounded in answering emotions, and can always be improved.

Product management starts with this book. If you want be one, start here, then go find something that talks about the products in your field of interest, or describes the process by which you get yourself hired, or the way you raise capital to fund your own product. But, start here to learn what it means to build a product quickly and successfully.

Not that you're guaranteed success. Especially when y
Disha
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Picked up this book after a great review in Economic Times. The content is very disappointing to say the least. The author has missed on several key responsibilities and challenges of product management and has only penned a theoretical and ideal world description. The book does not talk in examples and almost sounds like a boring lecture. Not for beginners and surely not for veterans either. Disappoint s.
Maria Lasprilla
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strategy
It wouldn't be so sexy or approved by the marketing department, but a more accurate name for this book would be "Product Management 101". Recommended.
Graham
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly one of very few books actually written all about Product Management, and it's a good one. I love how it starts with a bunch of things that people think are Product Management but which aren't. I also like the simple framework and definition of PM around valuable+useable+feasible, and how he builds up detail on achieving those qualities through the book. Got a bit dry as it came towards the end, but was a good length. Highly recommend for anyone in or thinking of moving into PM.
Goce
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read in a while. It got me thinking about a lot of stuff that’s going on in our industry and it also helped me bridge the gap in my transition from a company oriented on providing services to clients to a company owning their own product and oriented towards keeping their customers happy and improving their product. Although I am not a Product Manager (which is the main intended audience), I would say that I am at the best point in my career to have read this book an ...more
Markiyan
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book on Product Management I've ever read. Not only you get a depth and years of experience and wisdom in your hand, but it's also so incredibly well structured! Definitely will come back to this book again and again. Must read for a PM.
Jenn
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The information in the book was good and useful to learn how things work or should work on a product team, but the delivery was a little slow and dry.

Petar Ivanov
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startups, product
Really great book! It presents what's to be a Product Manager/Owner and how to do it well. It describes the whole puzzle in a product company, starting from the VPs, going through the engineers and designers and finishing with the product manager(s), marketing and sales departments.

There are several key points but the most vital one is to create a high-fidelity prototype, defining your customer personas and start talking and interviewing your customers/early-adopters.
It's important to mention h
Peter Gfader
I don't know but the content seems to be dated.

Examples:

>> Once you've validated a product and delivered the specifications to engineering, you must make a fundamental mindset shift from product discovery to execution.
>> There should be no further changes to the product specifications after this.

1. This clear distinction between discovery and delivery seems very old thinking to me.
2. When do we write the specification?
3. No further changes to the product spec after this?
4. Lots of dedicated r
Stefan Kanev
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been a wake up call.

It presents a unified philosophy of what the job of a product manager is and how to do it well. It covers who the people should be, how the product should be built, what the process should be and what is the right culture. The book is structured into 67 short chapters and can be consumed in small bites or long binges. The style is concise and to the point.

I can't overstate how eye-opening it was. The role of the product management has always been slightly weird
Philip Joubert
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm frustrated with myself that I didn't read this many moons ago. This is the book for you if you are:
- An aspiring product manager
- Work with product managers (e.g. you're a software engineer or designer)
- You're building out a product team
- You are interested in how modern tech teams structure themselves
Raphael Donaire
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author shared a lot of good examples and practices in product management. If you don't have experience with the subject, the book will be useful. The content doesn't have a logical structure, and sometimes, you could feel lost.

The main highlights I would share at this review are:

1. Outcomes are better than outputs. In a transition of project mindset for a product one, the orgazination should stop seeking deadlines and roadmap deliverables beside that it should look for business models innova
KC
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very useful, textbook-like rundown of tech product management. With principles distilled from industry leaders, nearly every facet of product management is covered here.

Unlike some other similar books, this one is not anecdotal or autobiographical but rather focuses on the process, the responsibilities, and the skills and sensibilities required to succeed in the product space.

I took many notes from the book and worked them into training and material for my current job, and expect to re
Veronica Moss
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-business
A friend recommended this book to me, and I'm glad she did - it was an informative read about product management at a software company. As someone with a background in psychology, sociology and business, I walked away learning many new things about innovation and product development process. Recommended if you are working in tech, particularly if you are a business person @ a tech company.
Տիգրան Ղաբուզյան
A bible for product managers.
Abhïshék Ghosh
1. Golden rules for product managers: half our product ideas don't work because of problems with
o Value: customers aren't as excited and choose not to pay for it or buy it
o Usability: too complicated to use and is more trouble than it is worth
o Feasibility: the organization simply can't afford the cost and time to deliver the product
o Business viability: legal, financial or business constraints that block the solution from launch

2. How do you discover new ideas: Opportunity Assessment Technique
Alex Watson
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the first edition and read it often during the early phases of my product career. I’m further along in my work now, and so is the field of product management in the UK, and so I felt like I got less from the second edition - there are over sixty chapters and so some end up being short and fairly superficial - the ones on ethics, agile at scale in particular - and it seems the whole idea of encompassing all of product management in one book is too big of an ask. It desperately needs new e ...more
Dmitry Martsinkevich
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When i started the book it was a bit irritating to read that just every person in a product team is like a totally vital part. But it turned that Inspired is more like a Bible for product managers. It is full of good practices and clear methodologies. Not many i could use in our very small team but still picked some to be used as common practices. You can open almost any page and find a new thing to implement in your team. Most of the simple ideas are written in short without long argumentation ...more
Sten Tamkivi
Fantastic, compact summary of principles successful tech companies use breaking their work between small, focused product teams. We were striving towards this at Skype as we grew, I've tried to build early Teleport as a crisp product team; and now we are heading that way again with Topia, after merging 3 development teams and cultures over last 18 months.

Marty speaks from personal experience from Netscape to eBay, but also from his advice work running Silicon Valley Product Group. Must read for
Arunthep Sangvareethip
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not just a product book, this is an ultimate book for building great culture that happen to deliver the best possible product

I fell in love with the first version. This version is going above and beyond what I had in mind when buying. I just told my team of Product Manager Team that if there is a book for 2018 that worth every second to read, this is the one!
Nilesh Patil
I wish it could have added more information about how to build the products. This book basically (most of the pages) talk about how to build teams, hire right people and other backoffice related information rather than focusing much on customer mindset, product life cycle, discovery, applying market research etc.
Kresimir Mudrovcic
Interesting, insightful, easy to read and digest, useful tips for anyone who is into Product Management or startups.
Amr Basha
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must-read book for every designer out there, and is considered as the holy book for product management as well.
Jeremy Zhang
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The bible.
Marcus Cramer
Great ideas for product management but a little too much management blabla and a little too few examples for my taste
Michael Siliski
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Probably as good a book as you’ll find for explaining to someone what a product manager is actually supposed to do.

I thought this was quite a good book, and the best single overview of product management methodology I’ve seen. It’s well-structured, focused, easy to follow, and seems mostly correct to me. Being a methodology book, it still does seem to occupy a bit of an odd middle ground, neither getting into interesting business/product questions or cases nor actually showing you in any kind of
Aamir Ogna
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No other business book has resonated with me as much as Inspired has. If you are a product manager or aspiring to be one, this is definitely a must read. Mary Cagan uses his experience and knowledge to boil down the complex job of a product manager into principles and techniques that can be absorbed and incorporated into everyday work.

No matter which company you work for, Inspired will strike a chord. Some of the things the book talks about are sure to make you uncomfortable, frustrated and eve
Davinci resolve studio as lots of your every day obligations 1 1 Dec 15, 2019 02:23AM
Recruitment Business in India- Emagine Solutions 1 1 Oct 06, 2019 11:40PM
do you have a nespresso machine? 1 2 May 27, 2019 05:14AM
Goodreads Librari...: Pages info for Inspired by Marty Cagan 4 12 Apr 06, 2019 05:29AM

• Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • The Inmates Are Running the Asylum: Why High Tech Products Drive Us Crazy and How to Restore the Sanity
  • Product Roadmaps Relaunched: How to Set Direction while Embracing Uncertainty
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A cheat sheet to The Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • High Output Management
  • Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
  • Measure What Matters
  • Venture Deals

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“We need teams of missionaries, not teams of mercenaries.” 6 likes
“It doesn’t matter how good your engineering team is if they are not given something worthwhile to build.” 5 likes