Start by marking “A Noise Downstairs” as Want to Read:
A Noise Downstairs

A Noise Downstairs

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  8,282 ratings  ·  1,398 reviews

The New York Times bestselling author of No Time for Goodbye returns with a haunting psychological thriller that blends the twists and turns of Gillian Flynn with the driving suspense of Harlan Coben, in which a man is troubled by odd sounds for which there is no rational explanation.

Published July 24th 2018 by William Morrow (first published July 12th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about A Noise Downstairs, please sign up.
Stacy Agreed. One of a few weak areas I found with this story. My biggest complaint is Paul never thought to get security cameras? Really? That would be my…moreAgreed. One of a few weak areas I found with this story. My biggest complaint is Paul never thought to get security cameras? Really? That would be my first thought.(less)
sublimosa Stacy and Drw, your answers are a bit spoilerish.

·  8,282 ratings  ·  1,398 reviews

Start your review of A Noise Downstairs
Chelsea Humphrey
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Linwood Barclay
Shelves: from-publisher
4.5 STARS

Here it is guys...drum roll please... I present your summer 2018 popcorn thriller-A Noise Downstairs! Seriously folks, this one is a must for your TBR if you are looking for a fast-paced story that is easily read in any setting and impossible to put down. I've been a fan of Linwood Barclay's writing for almost a decade now and find I have a Barclay shaped hole that only his books can fill each year. If you're new to his work, then know his writing style is very similar to Harlan
Meredith
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“Jesus, Paul, it’s not the clown from It. It’s not going to break out and attack us.”

This quote above is in reference to an old typewriter which the protagonist from A Noise Downstairs believes is possessed by the spirits of murder victims. It might sound a little crazy, but the premise makes for an entertaining psychological thriller with some surprising twists!

Paul Davis was nearly murdered. While he has recovered physically, he is suffering from PTSD. He is in counseling and
Julie
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Noise Downstairs by Linwood Barclay is a 2018 William Morrow Publication.

Paul Davis nearly loses his life when he inadvertently discovers a colleague looking for a place to dump the bodies of the two women he just murdered.

Although Paul survived physically, mentally he is still struggling. He decides the best therapy might be to face his demons head on, and maybe even write a book about his ordeal. His therapist even gives him the green light to pursue this avenue. Desperately trying to
Dita
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Ermigahhhhhhwd, I loved this book.

I know a few said it was predictable and I know that I'm no whiz-bang but I was hugely surprised twice and was reminded several times that Linwood Barclay can still write a damn good book.

Thanks to my awesome friend Jayme for recommending this to me. Follow her or become her friend, she reads great books, writes great reviews and is just all-around cool!
Debra
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss

College Professor Paul Davis is driving home one night when he observes a colleague driving strangely. He decides to follow, not quite sure if the man is drunk or looking for something. When his co-worker pulls over so does Paul and that is when Paul makes the shocking discovery that he has just walked into a a murderer disposing of two female bodies. Paul tries to intervene and is almost killed himself.

After the incident, Paul has been having nightmares and experiencing PTSD. He begins
Kaceey
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
OK, normally I avoid anything the least bit scary...anything with a paranormal vibe to it. But this is Linwood Barclay! I can’t just pass up one of his books! So, turning on all the lights, with my hubby (and brave puppy) by my side to protect me...I dove in!

Paul is your typical, unassuming college professor. On his way home one night he spots a colleague driving erratically. Good Samaritan Paul decides to pull in behind and follow him! Big mistake Paul!

Next thing he recalls is waking up with
Matt
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Linwood Barclay can always be relied upon to put forth exciting novels that creep up the spine, leaving the reader questioning what they’ve just read. His ability to develop a psychological thriller puts him in league with some of the top in the genre, thereby strengthening his fan base. Paul Davis is a college professor who was out on a late evening drive. After coming upon the vehicle of his colleague, Paul stops to help, only to be attacked and almost killed. Eight months later, Paul is ...more
Elyse  Walters
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick Update: I especially want to thank Nicola....She introduced me to Linwood Barclay with her review in a way--where I said...."ok, I think I'll give this author a go". Glad I did! Thanks Nicola!!!!

The ‘New Haven Star’ ran with a headline that said:
“A Scandal in Academia: ‘Apology Killer’ gets life in double murder”.
West Haven College professor Kenneth Hoffman, 53, (married to wife Gabriella, 49, father to Leonard, 21), was sentenced to life in prison for the murders of Jill Foster and
Louise Wilson
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
College Professor Paul Davis is a normal guy with a normal life. Until, driving along a deserted road late one night, he surprises a murderer trying to dispose of a couple of bodies. That's when Paul's "normal" existence is turned upside down. After nearly loosing his own life in that encounter, he finds himself battling with PTSD, depression and severe problems at work.

Wow. Where do I start? We learn all about the murderer, who he is and why Paul followed him that night at the beginning of this
Brenda -Traveling Sister
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
Linwood Barclay is one of my favourite authors and his books, and I have some history together. I loved listening to his books and his story kept me entertained on some long runs. Lately, I have been missing out on some of his newer books and I am happy to say I am glad I didn't miss out on this one.

A Noise Downstairs is a great one if you are not sure what you are in the mood for. It's a fun, entertaining, twisty and easy read with a unique creepy tormenter here with the underwood typewriter
Jaidee (Away from Goodreads until Feb 2...happy reading)
1.5 "commiserating with Robin" stars !!!

Like my earlier read of King's" The Outsider" this book blindsided me by starting off rather interesting (if middling writing) and then deteriorating to a ridiculous conclusion. This book was even more disappointing as it happened around 70 percent into the novel rather than King's halfway point.

I almost thought it was a cruel April Fool's joke !!

The beginning was a fairly compelling exploration of a man's PTSD and search for understanding of a friend that
Jonetta
Paul Davis happens upon a colleague on a deserted road, unwittingly catching him in the process of disposing of the bodies of two young women. He barely escapes with his life and nine months later, he’s still struggling with the after effects of the physical and emotional trauma. Paul’s memory lapses and fugues are unsettling him and he’s seeing a therapist. When his wife gifts him with a vintage Underwood typewriter, he’s pleased but soon begins hearing typing sounds in the middle of the night. ...more
Zoeytron
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
Shhhh . . . can you hear that noise coming from downstairs? 'Chit chit. Chit chit chit. Chit.' Chit! Recovering from a devastating head injury, Paul seems to be the only one who can hear it. Is he teetering on the edge of madness? Or is there something hideously awry with that old manual-style typewriter? You might want to stifle your "Aha!" for as long as possible, or risk having to repeat yourself. ...more
Jayme
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One evening, John sees a work colleague driving erratically and follows him to see if he can help. Unfortunately, his colleague was trying to cover up a crime, and Paul becomes collateral damage.

A year later, Paul is suffering from PTSD. His wife Charlotte brings home an old Underwood typewriter, encouraging him to write his story, as a way to heal.

CHIT CHIT CHIT CHIT CHIT CHIT

Paul hears the sounds of his typewriter downstairs. But, he and Charlotte are both upstairs, in bed, sleeping.

When
Linda
Her cheeks went red, as though she were too embarassed to complete the sentence. "What I'm trying to say is, you've never seen anyone get a message from the beyond."

The beyond......now that's a story unto itself.

They say that cats have nine lives. They're always on the heels of disaster roaming the neighborhoods. But they seem to know when it's time to retreat in the other direction. Maybe Professor Paul Davis should have listened to the felines that night.

It's late. Paul aims his car toward
Robin
Bah, I'm going to be the Negative Nelly in a sea of happy readers here.

Yes, it's true that this was a sharp right turn for me, in the book world. I mean, the last book I reviewed was John Updike's Couples, for goodness' sakes. Don't worry, I wasn't expecting Updike here. One doesn't bite into an orange and expect it to taste like pomegranate. That's just silly.

I was in the mood for orange, and it had all the promise in the world. I loved the premise: a guy hears his antique typewriter, typing by
Book of Secrets°ღ
4.5 Stars A NOISE DOWNSTAIRS is a creepy, twisty, and addictive thriller. One night professor Paul Davis stumbles across a colleague attempting to dispose of two bodies along a desolate road; eight months later, Paul is still suffering with the trauma. To lift his spirits, his wife buys him an old-fashioned typewriter in hopes that he'll start writing again. But, poor Paul, late at night he's the only one who can hear the typewriter's keys tapping away on their own, and he's convinced it had ...more
Brenda
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to be intentionally vague here because I don’t want to spoil this book for anyone. Linwood Barclay had me hooked in the first chapter, and it wasn’t long before I was feeling the menace surrounding the main character, Paul Davis. While the major players are introduced and history explained, I felt a strong sympathy for Paul. The pace picked up in the second half of the book, and the 90 turns the author took had me pausing to get my bearings. Even though one of the scenarios that ...more
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

Typewriter sounds are almost non-existent today, but they kept recurring in Paul’s home and seemed to be coming from the typewriter that his wife had bought him.

After Paul followed his friend because he was driving erratically, he found something horrific and unbelievable.

Paul saw dead bodies in his colleague’s trunk and when Kenneth struck him to silence him, he thought it was all over. Thankfully Paul didn’t die, and Kenneth was imprisoned.

Another thing happened as Paul was following
Brenda
The brutal attack on Paul Davis was meant to end his life – instead the injuries and PTSD, along with depression were dragging him down. The person who attacked him was in prison for murder while Paul struggled to move forward with his life. His psychologist, Dr Anna White was a positive influence, but the night time was his enemy. Paul’s nightmares were frightening his wife Charlotte, and during the day his memory was sporadic; he wondered if he was going crazy.

But when Charlotte brought a
Linda Strong

Several months ago, Paul Davis was attacked by a killer with a shovel. Somehow he survived the massive head wound he received. The killer was a friend ... a colleague ... and it was just happenstance that he saw two women's bodies in his friend's trunk before they were hidden and buried.

Now Paul suffers severe panic attacks, short term memory loss. But the most terrifying are the noises he hears that no one else does. Most recently, his wife bought him an old typewriter. At night, he swears he
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
A NOISE DOWNSTAIRS is a book that just didn't work completely for me. I usually love reading Linwood Barcley's books and I'm not saying that this isn't well written. It's just the story didn't convince me. If it had been an author like Stephen King might I have bought the haunted typewriter, but in this case, I just waited for the truth to come out. The logical explanation. And, that kind of made the reading experience just not as enjoyable as with his previous books.

On the plus side did I enjoy
NZLisaM
Paul Davis and the Case of the Haunted Typewriter!

It’s been eight months since Paul was attacked, and left for dead, after inadvertently stumbling across a fellow professor attempting to dispose of two bodies. Plagued by recurring nightmares, and lapses in memory, as well as struggling to process how a person who’d been both mentor and friend to him could murder two women, Paul decides to write down everything relating to the murders, both to try and come to terms with it all, and facilitate his
Arah-Lynda
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-said
Of course, I had plans and chores that needed doing, then again, I also had a few minutes, so I picked this up.

Big Mistake. Sure, I took care of the basics, I mean a gal’s gotta eat and such, but……...

Linwood Barclay, handily, stole the rest of my day.

What if you heard a noise, clearly; from downstairs or elsewhere in your home, while your family slept?

Gulp, gobble gobble, gone.

Hmmmm.
Frank Phillips
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Linwood Barclay, this book was exactly what i needed! I recently went through a week-long reading slump, having completed/dnf'd two disappointing books (The Last Guest House & Temper) and was considering taking a break from reading for a while, but something made me decide to give this one a shot. I'm so glad I read this! Linwood Barclay is a dependable thriller author, so when I read the synopsis I knew this book would be interesting. It was entertaining to say the least, as well ...more
Ken
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still effected by the traumatic events eight months ago, Paul Davis is desperate to get he’s life back on track.
Having stumbled upon he’s co-worker and friend Kenneth with two dead women in he’s car, Paul was attacked and left for dead during the whole experience.

Still recovering from the night, Paul is suffering from memory loss and nightmares, in an effect to gain closure he decides to write down everything he can recall from that evening.
He’s worried wife Charlotte even helps by finding him
Laura/Mystery in Minutes
A twisty-turny mystery that includes a jaw-dropping about-face, new-to-Mystery in Minutes author Linwood Barclay's latest standalone novel, A Noise Downstairs, manages to be about so much more than its eye-catching cover image and title would imply.

In his book cover quote from a previous Barclay novel, Trust Your Eyes, Stephen King wrote, "My idea of a sweet ride is three days of rain, a fridge filled with snacks, and a new Linwood Barclay." Interestingly, much of the style and content of A
Sue
A Noise Downstairs by bestselling author Linwood Barclay is a standalone psychological thriller and one of my favourites books for 2018.

This story is about a man who is troubled by odd sounds for which there is no rational explanation.

College professor Paul Davis is a normal guy with a normal life. Until, driving along a deserted road late one night, he surprises a murderer disposing of a couple of bodies. That’s when Paul’s "normal" existence is turned upside down. After nearly losing his own
Wendy
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books, nov-18
A Noise Downstairs, by Linwood Barclay, is a very entertaining read with an ending that I didn't see coming.
Loved that surprise!
I have been a fan of Barclay's for a number of years and have found his mystery/thrillers never disappoint.
Dennis
Linwood Barclay, you have found yourself a new fan! While I've never read any of Mr. Barclay's works, I've certainly heard all about him! A Noise Downstairs is impressive, beautifully-tragic, and darkly-painted. It is narrated so expertly, at times I felt like I was envisioning the next big blockbuster movie in my head while I was turning the pages ;). Paul Davis, college professor at West Haven College, is driving along a quiet road one night when he accidentally gets involved in the midst of ...more
Kindle English My...: Offer on Linwood Barclay 1 3 Dec 30, 2019 03:10AM
Vampires, Weres a...: Thriller: A Noise Downstairs 16 11 Dec 12, 2019 11:28AM
Forsyth County Pu...: September 2019 - A Noise Downstairs 2 13 Sep 28, 2019 12:30PM
Play Book Tag: A Noise Downstairs by Linwood Barclay - 4 stars 3 45 Aug 05, 2018 04:55AM

• An Unwanted Guest
  • Run Away
  • Someone We Know
  • Pieces of Her
  • Believe Me
  • The Suspect (Kate Waters, #3)
  • Tear Me Apart
  • Under My Skin
  • The Escape Room
  • The Family Upstairs
  • Lock Every Door
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of seventeen novels for adults, including No Time for Goodbye, Trust Your Eyes and, most recently, A Noise Downstairs. He has also written two novels for children and screenplays.
Three of those seventeen novels comprise the epic Promise Falls trilogy: Broken Promise, Far From True, and The Twenty-Three. His two novels for children –
“American Pastoral, Philip Roth has his alter ego character, Nathan Zuckerman, write about this guy’s life—he calls him ‘the Swede’—and he starts with what he knows, but then when he gets to the parts he doesn’t know, he imagines them? To fill in the narrative blanks?” 0 likes