Start by marking “Batman and the Justice League Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Batman and the Justice League Vol. 1

Batman and the Justice League Vol. 1

(Batman and the Justice League Manga #1)

Gotham City est la ville avec le plus haut taux de criminalité du pays. Cela n'empêche pas Rui, un jeune japonais, de s'y rendre dans l'espoir de retrouver ses parents disparus. Mais à peine arrivé, il est attaqué par un policier devenu complètement fou. Malgré son talent pour le combat, Rui ne s'en serait pas sorti sans l'intervention de Batman. Le Chevalier Noir le met e ...more
Paperback
Published November 20th 2017 by Shodensha

To ask other readers questions about Batman and the Justice League Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman and the Justice League Vol. 1

Start your review of Batman and the Justice League Vol. 1
Sam Quixote
Oct 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A Japanese ninja kid goes to Gotham to investigate his parents’ deaths a year after they supposedly perished in a factory explosion (I’m guessing they shockingly somehow survived). Meanwhile Joker’s begun marketing an energy drink called Gaia Juice that turns the drinker mean - ooo, what a naughty ickle boy! Batman’s gotta etc.

Shiori Teshirogi’s Batman and the Justice League collects the first four chapters from the ongoing series appearing in the monthly Japanese magazine Red. And it’s terrible
Chad
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-2018, 2018
A lot of people are going to like this solely because it was a Batman Manga, but the story was a bunch of nonsense. The Joker was selling an energy drink that made drinkers crazy which somehow allowed the Joker to somehow control ley lines. Lex Luthor is somehow involved in this too. And now Superman has ley line magic vision. Mixing magic in with these characters just doesn't work without any of DC's magic-based characters to be a gateway into that part of the DC universe. One of Superman's big ...more
L. McCoy
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like both Batman and manga
DC published a manga rendition of their superheroes. Yep, no way I wasn’t gonna check this out.

What’s it about?
A kid from Japan goes to Gotham looking for his missing parents. At the same time, Joker has made a beverage that is making people smiley and psychotic like him. Both of these stories connect and things get crazy.

Pros:
The characters are well done. The Japanese kid is interesting, I think there’s more to him than what is revealed in this volume. The manga renditions of the other Batman c
Cyndi
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A young boy travels to Gotham City to find out what happened to his parents. Although he is a good fighter and a fighter for good, he doesn’t like violence.
Meanwhile Lex Luthor and the Joker ban together to use the ley lines to get more power. This brings Superman and Batman together to fight their evil. The rest of the Justice League will probably be needed.
The book is written in the manga format but sometimes the panels left the format and become difficult to follow. I’m sure the author wi
Veronica
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
ARC via Netgalley. I'm not quite sure what audience DC is hoping will read this, but as a person who reads both manga and DC comics, I didn't find it particularly engaging. I think it's possible that it would work as a gateway into American comics for manga fans (which seems like its original intent in the Japanese) as it does introduce the characters and concepts without any expectation of background knowledge. The plot follows Rui Amamiya, a Japanese boy with unknown supernatural powers who ha ...more
Robert
It's more Manga than mainstream, and the mystical elements are ill-suited for the chosen villains, but the story itself is enjoyable.
Nana Spark
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a good laugh
Recommended to Nana by: Hoopla
Shelves: 2020-reads
This had to be the blandest Batman story I have ever read. And after Batman: The Dark Prince Charming that's really saying something.

Meet the MC: a bland ass kid who comes to Gotham from Japan to find his parents who supposedly died in this explosion. Oh and he's the stereotypical naive, mentally feeble, yet semi-badass MC from most manga I read, unfortunately.

Of course, Batman had to be involved in this kid's story because-oh no!- Joker has this very mysterious and magical (?) Japanese lady imp
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Justice League done in a manga style? Yes, please!
A young boy from Japan comes to Gotham City looking for his missing parents, and becomes the unwitting victim of a devious plot involving the Joker. Only Batman and the Justice League can solve the mysteries of the boy's missing parents, and the enigmatic power leaking from magical ley lines around the globe.

I enjoyed reading this manga of the Justice League!
However, I didn't like some of the characters. Batman has never been my favorite, and I
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 Stars.

Review to follow
Jordanne
A DC-Manga Gateway For Young Readers

Not a great deal stuck with me following my finishing of this one. I was originally quite excited by the idea of the Justice League interpreted in the manga style, after all, Marvel’s Manga-verse went down pretty well within my purview, however, I was somewhat let down. I liked the artwork even if I thought the characters themselves looked … strange, in this style.

The story was fairly basic and easy to follow and I liked that it was told from a young person’s
Hannah (TheRainyReader)
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
3/5 stars.
Considering this world and the characters coming from this world are coming from an american comics format transforming into manga is quite a different approach. I liked the art style for the most part but, there were a few hiccups here and there they I felt pulled me out of the story, I think my bias was from not seeing these characters portrayed in this style before but it was well done.
The story line we follow merg
Stephanie
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love the blend of taking an American comic and reimagining it into manga form. The storyline is great and I am looking forward to the next volume.
Nikki
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, blog, 2018
THIS REVIEW & MORE → SYNOPSES BY SARGE

I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this manga! It was really cool because the American comics are not in manga format, so this was a nice experience. I feel like I’ve been hitting a rough patch lately, so this was a welcomed change. The storyline was great! I also enjoyed that the focus was mainly on Batman and the introduction of Riu.

As the story developed, we see tension brewing between the Joker and Lex L
Jeremy
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid start that sets up some future story threads with potential. I hope the other members of the justice League play a bigger part in the next part.
Starla Nichols
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received this as an ARC through NetGalley. My opinions are all my own and are not influenced in anyway*

I loved this American Manga version.
I do not read comics/graphic novels/manga regularly but I am trying to "catch up" on it all since our Teen Population here at my work place LOVE manga. The Artwork was amazing. Again, I am not fully versed in the various types etc, so I don't have the educated mindset on the topic to completely judge it "accurately" .
The story-line flowed well, the sketch-
Diane Hernandez
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Batman and the Justice League Vol 1 has Batman, Superman, the Joker and Lex Luthor set in a Japanese manga-style plot.

A young Japanese man, Rui, goes to Gotham City to find his missing parents. His cab driver, in a VW bug (?), warns him of the city’s high crime rate and drops him off at the edge of the city. When beset with corrupt police, Rui uses his ninja-like skills to defend himself but refuses to kill. Batman rescues him. Commissioner Gordon tells Rui to leave town but he refuses. Run-ins
Tony
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Net Galley and DC Comics for the ARC. Honestly, this is just what DC comics needs. There are so many books that are just a bit too dark to hand to a 12 year old any more. Yes, this book has danger. Yes, the Joker blows people up. Yes, someone dies, but because of Teshirogi's artwork, the threat is a bit less overwhelming. The narrator is a boy called Rui, who also takes the edge off. He literally gets in the middle of a super villain fight. He is a great hero for a great book. I wish I ...more
Bruce
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Batman & The Justice League Vol.. 1, by Shiori Teshirogi, is a manga graphic novel starring Batman, Superman, the Joker, Lex Luthor, and Rui, a Japanese boy in search of his parents who disappeared in Gotham City under mysterious circumstances. He encounters dangerous situations and is helped by the Justice League members.
I found this to be an interesting story to move into the world of Manga, and introducing a Japanese character was a great way to do it. The reader should also understand that t
Meghan
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an advanced reader's copy due to the curiosity I had for my patrons responding to a DC Comic/Manga twist. A first I found some of the illustrations on the creepy side but as I read on, I saw how they all tied in together and the story made sense. The story was ok, kind of on the predictable side and when the story was about to reveal what happens, it went in a completely different direction. The drawings were beautifully executed however, I wish there was some color that ...more
Sesana
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhumans
A manga take on the Justice League but mostly, as the title implies, Batman. And honestly, it's better than I'd expected. The art is solid, and the way the established characters are written tracks. The new guy, who is, of course, Japanese, is a nice enough kid, even if he's bizarrely sort of a ninja for some reason? But the story itself is jumbled nonsense. Ley lines? That Superman can see? Gaia juice? It just doesn't make much sense, and it really doesn't feel like it suits the Justice League.
Adriana
It's an interesting mix of two worlds.
Teshirogi has a very unique art style that merges classic shonen elements with a slightly shojo style, i.e. masculine poses and paneling with femenine aesthetics. This works surprisingly well with the kind of story she's telling.
It's a classic Batman vs Joker tale with arresting fantasy twists and the added bonus of the rest of the Justice League showing up to up the ante.
Marie
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Batman and Japanese Manga? Yes, please. A young Japanese boy comes to Gotham City to find his parents whom are presumed dead. He meets the bad guys and fights them off. Then Batman and the Justice League step in. Loved the Justice League with Batman.. The graphics rock and I loved the story.I received this book from Net Galley and DC Entertainment for a honest review and no compensation otherwise.
Andre
This manga is a bit of an odd breed. Not for bringing in this kid and have him be in the story with the Justice League, the odd thing is that this kid from Japan does not know about Gotham City. After all, he did come to America to search for his parents and this did lead him straight to Gotham and didn't he look it up? This is a crime ridden city, possibly the most crime ridden, so why does he have no information?
That the kid is some Ninja of sorts was also pretty damn clear from the start. May
Nathaniel Darkish
I really didn't care for this. I was hoping that a manga version of the DC universe would be a lot of fun, but instead it just felt really weird, with ideas that felt very incompatible with DC. For example, the story is still set in the US, but it feels like everything is strangely bent around the viewpoint character, a Japanese young man who (of course) has crazy ninja abilities. Every American character suddenly (and without any explanation) knows a great deal about Japanese culture as soon as ...more
Wayne McCoy
'Batman and the Justice League Vol. 1' by Shiori Teshirogi is a manga take on DC comics that's been translated for American audiences from it's original publication in Red magazine.

A young boy from Japan who has missing parents follows the trail to Gotham city. After a nasty run in with Gotham police who have been "jokerized," he is rescued by Batman. Batman knows a thing about not having parents, so he takes an interest in the boy. A bigger plot is uncovered involving a new beverage that the Jo
mtblackbear
This first volume didn't have anything especially outstanding about it, but I still found it an overall entertaining read. As someone who reads both manga and Western comics, it was interesting seeing the DC characters being reimagined in a different art style.

My biggest nitpick is about the villains' plot, which was kind of convoluted. (view spoiler)
Shani
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
In classic manga style, the story has a slow build-up and ends leaving you wanting more!

Shiori really took her time writing the plot and developing the world in which this version of the Justice League exists. From the beginning there was a good blend of Japanese and American culture. You can see this specifically in the character development of Rui, as he travels to Gotham to find his parents.

I love that Shiori does not try to throw all the members of the Justice league at the reader in the fir
Jaime Guzman
Nov 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Chelsea Gouin
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
This is self-insert fanfiction at its finest. Rui comes to Gotham from Japan, searching for answers on his parents who mysteriously disappeared after an accident in a lab explosion. Joker may be behind it, teaming up with Lex Luthor to create a "Gaia Juice" that's infecting the citizens of Gotham. Bruce Wayne/Batman is struggling with the recent loss of his ward and sidekick when he meets Rui a strange young lad with ninja skills.
The Justice League really isn't a part of this first volume other
Gav451
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

The comixology reading app is not tweaked to deal with the reading order of Manga. To read this you are best with a decent size screen and dealing with is page by page. It took me a few pages to get the hang of the layout.

I like the art in this. Black and white but very detailed when it needs to be. The characters all looked very young, this is not a bad thing but just something I noticed. The design was good as well.

I have 2 volumes to try out, this first one did not fully get going and whether
« previous 1 3 next »

• ONE PIECE 91 (One Piece, #91)
  • Wonder Woman: Warbringer (the Graphic Novel)
  • Justice League: No Justice
  • ONE PIECE 93 (One Piece, #93)
  • Naomi: Season One
  • ONE PIECE 92 (One Piece, #92)
  • The Batman Who Laughs
  • Dragon Ball Massiv 1
  • Batman: Damned
  • Justice League, Volume 1: The Totality
  • Super Sons of Tomorrow
  • 贄姫と獣の王 1 [Niehime to Kemono no Ou 1] (Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts, #1)
Shiori Teshirogi (手代木史織) is a japanese manga artist. ...more

Batman and the Justice League Manga (4 books)
  • Batman and the Justice League Manga Vol. 2