Start by marking “Big Bones” as Want to Read:
Big Bones

Big Bones

The latest teen novel from the sparkling Laura Dockrill, introducing Bluebelle, and her moving, hilarious take on food, body image and how we look after ourselves and others

A heart-warming teen story from the unique voice of Laura Dockrill, about Bluebelle, aka BB, aka Big Bones - a sixteen-year-old girl encouraged to tackle her weight even though she's perfectly happy, th
Published March 8th 2018 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about Big Bones, please sign up.
Allie (alliembooks) I'm sure that this question wasn't meant to be harmful, but specifying someone being curvy or fat in a "really good way" isn't okay. The illustration…moreI'm sure that this question wasn't meant to be harmful, but specifying someone being curvy or fat in a "really good way" isn't okay. The illustration looks both curvy and fat to me since they're not mutually exclusive terms. Fat is a totally okay and positive term to use.(less)

C.G. Drews
Aug 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't want to write negatives reviews anymore but -- I'm just going to highlight this one for massive ableist trigger warning. Basically a secondary character has an accident and ends up in a wheelchair, causing the protagonist to (a) freak out so much she stops eating, (b) keeps talking about how life is "so short" and we should all be physical and move around while we can in case we "end up in a wheelchair." I...this is just so hella offensive. And that's only one thing I'm furious about so. ...more
Maddie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I loved this reading experience because it felt like I was living with BB. I knew what she had to eat every day, but you get to know so much more about her and her family, it was just great to be surrounded by interesting characters and feel a real connection with them all.

It didn't help that I was constantly craving a snack while reading this because the descriptions somehow make everything sound tasty. I've read about the opposite side of the spectrum when it comes to toxic relationships with
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
One of my favourite books of 2018 so far! Brimming with body positivity, nugget sized bites of feminism and belly laugh humor. Trigger warning for eating disorders and food related anxiety.
beth
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-arcs, dnf

DNF :( First time in a while.

rtc closer to release date
Kathy - Books & Munches
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s, read-in-2018
Our main character, Bluebelle, got roped into keeping a food diary but she ended up writing down her entire Summer story instead. Every chapter is named after a dish, food, candy... Anything the least bit edible! Guess I can easily tell you guys it got me hungry at times...

I don't need to worry or wonder why the world stares at someone like me; they need to worry and wonder why THEY stare at someone like me.

Bluebelle, aka BB or Big Bones, is a sixteen year old girl who's very comfortable with he
Colleen Fauchelle
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
what a perfect first read for the year. We all set weight loss goals at the start of each year. And here is Bluebell who loves food and is happy with the way she looks. When she is told to keep a food diary for the summer she is not a happy camper but soon it becomes part of her day. Each chapter is a different food how she feels about it and how it makes her feel. She loves the preparing, the cooking and the eating of food. She is funny and sweet and a bit crazy when she is upset. I loved Blueb ...more
K.
Trigger warnings: fatphobia, fat shaming, injury to a loved one, poop, mention of eating disorders.

So here's the thing: I was sold on this by the first page, where the protagonist gushes about how much she loves crumpets. Because SAME, GIRL. SAME. But with the exception of a couple of hilarious scenes, I mostly found myself let down by this.

It's the story of a fat teenage girl who's instructed to keep a food diary. And instead of just using it to track what she eats, she treats it more as a li
Charlotte
Mar 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
*This book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

From the outset, the protagonist Bluebelle – nicknamed BB – is told by a nurse that she is fat and needs to lose weight, and given a food diary to track her eating habits. BB is a very forceful, in-your-face kind of character who knows exactly what she wants and that is to eat what she wants, when she wants and to leave school. So she is forced into a deal with her mother: shift some pounds, and she can leave education.
Seroxx83
Jun 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF .maybe I’ll try again one day,but this just wasn’t getting to me at all.
Marie Andrews
Big Bones follows the story of Bluebelle as she is told to lose weight by her doctor and is instructed to keep a food diary and join the gym, in exchange for allowing Bluebelle to keep her job at the cafe she works at and not pursue further education. Big Bones is therefore told as a "food diary" and follows her journey on her weight loss, as well as her usual, everyday life.

Unfortunately, I had really mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I loved Bluebelle's fiery personality and how
Hannah
I received this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Actual rating 3.5 and this is one where I really wish goodreads had the 1/2 star function. It's not quite good enough for the 4 but the 3 feels a bit harsh.

I have fairly mixed feelings about this book. I love the body positivity and the fact that Bluebelle didn't just eat junk food- which I think is a huge misconception about overweight people in general but especially teenagers. I generally enjoyed her voice and cared about
Clair
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bluebelle, aka Big Bones, loves food. Every chapter of this book has a food theme, starting with one of my personal favourites - crumpets! This is the food diary that Bluebelle was encouraged to keep following the appointment with the nurse that her mum dragged her to.
Bluebelle is a body confident 16 year old who has a very close bond with her sister and thinks she knows what she wants to do in life. She has just finished her GCSE Exams and wants to start an apprenticeship at Planet Coffee rathe
Lena (The Printed Girl)
My feelings for this book have been clearly seperated into two different emotions. The first half of the book was worth 2 stars. It only talked about food and was very superficial. I often asked myself what the point of this book was because it was like reading about any completely normal 16 year old. Really, talking about food is only interesting for so long and 200 Pages is definitely way too long (unless you're writing a cookbook). The summary also says this is a very funny read but I would c ...more
Lauren James
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: body-positivity, ukya
This was absolutely fantastic. Stand-out UKYA. Funny and smart and feelgood and with the BEST descriptions of food I've ever read. Not to be read hungry. I now wish it was summer & I can wear all my patterned floaty dresses again.
Anne Pauline
Porté par un excellent premier personnage, ce livre n’arrive cependant pas à répondre à toutes les promesses qu’il annonce. Les jolies réflexions sur la grossophobie et la confiance en soit sont vite gâchées par les énumérations incessantes d’aliments.

Plutôt feel good, ne vous attendez pas a beaucoup de péripéties, il ne se passe quasi rien. Heureusement que Bluebell sauve la donne par sa personnalité.
Anniek
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this was quite a refreshing, unique read! It remind me a little of Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging when it comes to the humor, and I really liked the body positivity and BB's self esteem. There wasn't a lot more substance to it though, and I felt like the storyline was a bit rushed - it would have been nice to see more plot points resolved.
Lunabookaddict
Oct 06, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF
Wasn’t for me tho.
Rosanna Threakall
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun, cute but also one to make you think. Loved the body posi vibes!
Robin Stevens
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Laura is such a talent, and this book, starring a fat girl called Bluebelle who adores food and learns to love herself too, is brilliant. I've learned for myself how painful and damaging diet culture is, and this book is all about how wonderful food is, how important it is to take care of yourself and how much fun it is to be alive. A really wonderful, hopeful story for 12+

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. Please do not use it in any marketing material, online or in pr
Galleane
Si ma lecture s'est avérée bonne, bien que pas incroyable, j'aurais voulu lire une histoire mettant en avant les problématiques que finalement on m'annonçait au début du roman et à voir une Bluebelle encore plus épanouie.

Mon avis complet : http://bloggalleane.blogspot.com/2018...
Mehsi
Mar 27, 2018 marked it as nu-even-niet-maybe-someday-again
Disappointed... :| May try this one again later, but for now I am dropping it. BB is just so annoying.
gem
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from start to finish and I absolutely fell in love with Bluebell!
Sassy, confident and utterly hilarious, her narration and food diary was so much fun to read. God, her love of food speaks to my soul, I mean, who doesn’t love a plate of crumpets covered in butter that melts through the holes? I think I have more food cravings after reading this than when I look through an actual cookbook!
BB’s forced to confront her body in ways she previously hasn’t had to, and it’
Hana Brown
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BB is the body confident hero we all needed. Wonderful as always x
Kirsty Hanson
I've been looking out for more YA contemporary books about fat girls... Or even girls who aren't comfortable with the size of their body or how they look. Because, I'm one of those girls, so I'm always on the lookout for good representation of this in YA. I'd heard a lot about Big Bones throughout the blogosphere and I was interested to see whether it was the type of book that I was looking for, so I decided to request a copy and see what I thought.

A heart-warming teen story from the unique voic
Navdip
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I came across Big Bones whilst browsing the library website. YA contemporary is one of my favourite and most read genres so I'm always excited to discover another book in this genre. I was also intrigued by the pictures of food on the cover and it had me wondering what this book could be about. I mean who doesn't love reading about food and eating haha!

Plot
The book follows a young girl called Bluebell, also known as BB, who after having an asthma attack visits the doctor with her Mum. BB already
Jessica
I actually love this. It's incredible. I wish I had the kind of self-confidence that BB does.

It's an incredible look at body positivity from the eyes of a fat teen who loves her body and loves food just as much - and she isn't ashamed. When an appointment with a nurse leads to her promising to keep a food diary to apease her mum, she begins to write out her entire summer holiday: from working shifts at Planet Coffee, getting googly-eyed over barista Max, handing out with her darling, daring sist
Chiara
Nov 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
* I couldn't find the plot in this book? Was there one?
* Bluebelle was the absolute worst.
* It was filled with horrible, unrealistic characters.
* And what's up with all that talk about food? Yes, it's a food diary, I get it. But it looked more like a freaking cookbook to me.
* The writing wasn't exactly pleasing. It felt like a collection of sentence fragments and CAPS. There were also some fluff chapters that really could have been dropped. Perhaps it would have made this book less dreadful.

Alm
Christa
May 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
Thought I was going to love this, but alas...
The message of the novel is a good one, but I found the execution lacking. For a majority of the novel, nothing much happens and it's all descriptions of food with no actual plot. It picked up a bit later in the novel, but I didn't find it very convincing (like the arc involving Max).
Karen BookAddict
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Assez déçue. Je n'ai pas toujours adhéré au message de l'auteure et certaines réflexions m'ont vraiment fait tilter. Je crois qu'il y a un grand fossé culturel que j'ai eu du mal à combler. Sinon l'histoire de fond est sympa sans plus...
Lindsay Cole
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I wish I had this book when I was a teenager. But the message and importance is not lost on adult me: I need to remember to love my body every single day. And this book is the best beautiful reminder.
“You never really grow up. It's a trick; everybody is wandering around just as lost as a person ahead and the person behind. We are all winging it. You are always waiting for somebody to tell you if you're doing it right but you never know.” 2 likes
“I doubt I could get a tan anyway. I love pyjamas.” 0 likes