Start by marking “The Dog: A Natural History” as Want to Read:
The Dog: A Natural History

The Dog: A Natural History

As one of the oldest domesticated species, selectively bred over millennia to possess specific behaviors and physical characteristics, the dog enjoys a unique relationship with humans. More than any other animal, dogs are attuned to human behavior and emotions, and accordingly play a range of roles in society, from police and military work to sensory and emotional support.

Published March 6th 2018 by Princeton University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog

Start your review of The Dog: A Natural History
Brian
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Do you like dogs? Are you interested in learning about them? This book covers almost everything there is about the origin of the dogs from their ancestry, information about their role in the modern day as well as some interesting tidbits about life expectancy and more. There were parts that I found less interesting but overall this was an excellently put together nonfiction book.
Kathleen O'Neal
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First of all, this book is absolutely beautifully laid out. It is full of color photographs, charts, maps, and graphs that compliment the text. I didn't think they made books like this anymore so I was thrilled to see that this one was so beautiful. This book would make a wonderful gift for any new dog owner just because it is so nice to look at and look through.

The rest of the book is good too though. The first chapter deals with the evolutionary history of dogs. The information in this
Luana
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, zoology
3.5
This one was a hard one to rate and really needed the .5 option. This is because while the writing was quite dry and therefore not engaging enough to be properly immersive, and while there were many times I wanted the writer to expand on a topic and explore it in greater and wider depth, this book also had wonderful coverage and knowledge.

In addition to laying out the technical details of concepts I have come across before the author also introduced me to entirely new aspects of canine
Tabby
This book is beautifully designed with full colour images and graphs.

This would make a great coffee table book for devoted dog owners who want some in-depth knowledge that's all backed up by research.
Locke Mackenzie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-behavior
Definitely less technical then his first book. I believe that has his English gets better so will his writing
Mary Cummings
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Makes a good coffee table book, but wouldn’t recommend reading it cover to cover.
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-copy
The developmental history, biology, and development of the dog and the human interaction.
Mills College Library
636.7009 M6368 2018
Malin
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting, easy to read, a lot of pictures and "fun facts". Gives a good introduction to dogs, both their evolution but also how they have evolved with us humans. Seems to be fact-based.
Kaila
Apr 30, 2019
Chad
Jan 21, 2019

• The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • Zak George's Guide to a Well-Behaved Dog: Proven Solutions to the Most Common Training Problems for All Ages, Breeds, and Mixes
  • Epidemiology: A Very Short Introduction
  • A Matter of Breeding: A Biting History of Pedigree Dogs and How the Quest for Status Has Harmed Man's Best Friend
  • The Human Brand
  • When Species Meet
  • The Loosening Skin
  • A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and The Creation of the Modern Middle East
  • My Life Among the Underdogs: A Memoir
  • On My Own Two Feet: The Journey from Losing My Legs to Learning the Dance of Life
  • Dog
  • Canine Confidential: Why Dogs Do What They Do
  • Prognosis: A Memoir of My Brain
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Being a Dog: Following the Dog Into a World of Smell
  • Social Cognition
  • Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis: Theory, Method and Research: Understanding Method and Application
  • Our Dogs, Ourselves: How We Live with Dogs Now