Start by marking “Sasquatch” as Want to Read:
Sasquatch

Sasquatch

When Dylan's father join a Sasquatch-hunting team led by a top big-foot researcher, Dylan feels he has to try to keep him in line. So he joins aging field biologist samuel Johnson on the slopes of Mount Saint Helens, shadowing the hunting party through their walkie-talkies. But Dylan may be in more trouble than he thought -- Mr. Johnson is not the man he seems to be. Even ...more
Published September 25th 1999 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Sasquatch, please sign up.
Amy Anderson farmer he gave Dylan the radio they were using to get in touch with his dad.

Start your review of Sasquatch
Lena
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was interesting enough to finish. It's cute and well-paced, neither too fast nor too slow. I read it quickly and found it entertaining, but nothing stood out in an exceptional way for me. If you like bigfoot/sasquatch mythology, you'll probably like it. Give it a try.
Ellis Stice
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Elements and Style: Roland Smith uses a simialar Style of writing like in his other book "Thunder Cave". He creates very wierd and awkward characters along with some normal ones that make the story more interesting. The reason they're awkward is because they are so obssesed with the "Sasquatch" or "Big Foot" and also they have some "interesting stories". Roland creates a humorous novel with some dark and intense moments also. I loved this book and recommend it to any reader and it's not that har ...more
Kevin
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
“Sasquatch” by Roland Smith,this book is about a kid named Dylan, who joins an aging field biologist on the mountains named Samuel Johnson, to try to keep his dad in control ever since he joined the sasquatch-hunting team. Dylan’s father’s mission is to find a Sasquatch and kill it, but Dylan looks out for his dad to try to stop him. But as they continued on their searches they see realize that something or someone is following them. Is it the Sasquatch is it a person, read to find out.
While I
Nate
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sasquatch was a cool mashup of Pacific Northwest lore, including the answer to how Sasquatch can remain undetected and who DB Cooper really was. Cool stuff, and the informative nature of the book concerning the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption and all humans think they know about Sasquatch was highly enjoyable.

The spoilers below are character notes for our OBOB team.

(view spoiler)
Ellen
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
When I was a kid my mom read this aloud to my family. This past weekend while visiting my parents, she started reading it aloud again. I finished it in one sitting and it was a fun dose of nostalgia. A fun read for sure and now I’m keeping my eyes peeled for Sasquatch!
Michelle
My 4th grade says 4.5 stars. Good read aloud!
Lucas
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Sasquatch" by Roland Smith this book is about a kid named Dylan, who joins and field biologist and the mountains named Samuel Johnson, To try to keep his dad in control ever since he joined the Sasqauatch hunting team, Dylans fathers mission is to find a Sasqauatch and kill it, but Dylan looks out for his dad to try to stop him. They continued on their searches they soon realize that something or someone is following them. While I read this book out that one of the themes in this book is caring ...more
Kathleen
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read this because I teach middle school and our school was going to read it as a school-wide novel study. I was torn about which star rating to give it...as far as a middle school or elementary school student, I might have liked it more, but as far as I'm concerned there are more interesting young adult/children's novels out there. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. The characters are flat, but it's a cute adventure story for kids.
Deanne
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I loved this book. It is a definite must read. It is suspenseful, has a great message and leaves you with a great feeling. One of the best children's books I have read in a long time. Dylan's Dad joins a Sasquatch expedition. In the meantime, Dylan goes with Buckley Johnson who once (hijacked a plane) and tries to help save the sasquatch from being killed. His Dad gets obssessed with it all. I enjoyed the storyline of this book.(less)
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014, obob
Elementary OBOB, book 3. I loved it! The combination of two Northwest legends (I won't disclose the second legend, or I may have to mark this review as containing spoilers) was genius. Being from the Northwest myself, I especially enjoyed the location descriptions and geographical info. But what I most enjoyed was the exciting, suspenseful, entertaining, and dare I even say believable tale of family, friendship and legends.
Lilly
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
As we all know, anything involving Bigfoot, I'm down for. But imagine my surprise when I was getting all emotional towards the end of this little book! In general, it was exactly what I was expecting, but there was also much frustration and excitement. The characters were so funny and believable, and the story took a great turn for the better. And each section was accompanied by a relevant bible verse, which was cool and unexpected! I just loved this book. :'D
Ginna
Feb 14, 2015 rated it liked it
The boys book club chose this title. It moved quickly but not thrillingly. I was tempted to put it down even when I had just a few pages left! I predict the boys will like it though - volcano eruptions, earthquakes and Sasquatch!
Mitchell
Sep 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
this book sucks so bad i wanted to cry...honestly it just horrible in every sense of writing..
Noland
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book that i had was written by Roland Smith the title of the book is titled Sasquatch I was excited to read this book then it was like i was left in the dark.Dylan and his father are two curious people/explorers who try to answer a question that nobody in this world could answer is Sasquatch real.
Characters: I thought that the character Dylan could have been written way better then what he was. He was apparently the main character in the book but he didn't have the characteristics of one. He
Nick Clemenzi
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great book, for anyone looking for a great storyline to follow. Roland Smith did a good job in this book of taking the normal myth of Sasquatch and giving it a little twist. One way he did this is instead of saying there is one Sasquatch on earth, there is a bunch that roam Mt St Helens. This was a very interesting twist to the original myth. I also liked that in the story you can see it is preferred to use the Indian name Sasquatch as multiple times a character says Bigfoot and i ...more
Michael Williams
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The setting in the book sasquatch is at a boys house named Dylan and the point of view in this story is Dylan telling the story so it’s first person. Some of the major characters in this story are Dylan, his dad, his mom, buck, clyde, flagg, henry, dean, and the sasquatches. The mood for the entire book is mostly Dylan being worried about something. He was worried about his dad at first going to the mountain then when he got to the mountains with buck he realized that he should be protecting the ...more
Chris Thompson
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
What if Sasquatch were real? What would we do if we did discover Sasquatch? What would Sasquatch do? These are all questions at the heart of Roland Smith's young adult novel, Sasquatch, and he does an interesting job in answering them. The story has enough maturity to make it believable, while still making use of enough young adult tropes to keep teen readers interested. There are elements of mystery as new characters are introduced and as the possibility of meeting Sasquatch nears. Smith wonder ...more
AidanM
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Sasquatch is a great book. I liked this book because I have read other books by Roland Smith and enjoyed and this book had an interesting topic that is new to me. One thing that was interesting was the setting of the book, very close to home. I had never thought much of the topic of this book, but how it's put into a story and narrated by kid, makes it enjoyable.
Glittering Steel
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood, fiction
To my followers who may be reading this review: know I have been reading an excessive amount of Children's stories recently, contrary to what I claim to usually read. But I have a reason: I recently found an old bin containing many kids books from when I was younger. My mother got them for me and I read nearly nothing of them. But I plan to read actual books again soon.
Kay Mcgriff
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another fun adventure in search of a cryptid--this time Big Foot or Sasquatch in the Pacific Northwest. Throw in an impending volcanic eruption, a mysterious wildlife biologist and a slightly eccentric dad, and things really heat up.
Christine VanHalder
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was set in Portland, Oregon and Mt St. Helens, Washington. It was very authentic. Especially the Powells Bookstore visit. I would highly recommend this novel. It is a stands alone novel, though there are other cypids books in the series.
Corey Bennett
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
when I first read this book I was pretty young and loved it prob shouldn't of re-read it...it's not bad liked it but didn't live up to what I remembered
Liam Starnes
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very good and interesting book.
Aria
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, ken, middle-grade
Joeanne
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A wild ride from start to finish.
Bryan Borgman
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice tale. I enjoy the first person perspective and I like that it's an unofficial prequel to the Cryptid Hunters series. Smith needs to write more cryptid books.
Aubrey
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like Bigfoot and Adventure Mystery.
Dylan's father starts a Sasquatch hunting team.They go to Mount St. Helen's and hunt a Sasquatch hunting party. Dylan is thinking that his father might be right and that Bigfoot isn't real.
Tessa Stockton
A fun and pleasing read. This is more in line of what I think of regarding Sasquatch. Good story.
Lily Sandstrom
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lilysandstrom
I really want to read this book
R.M.
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fourteen-year-old Dylan Hickock knew that something was up when he and his dad, Bill, put his mom on an airplane to Egypt. His dad had come home from a camping trip on the slopes of Mount Saint Helens... different a few months before. He always "tinkered" (one might call it, "obsessed") over one subject or another, learning everything there is to know, but when Dylan's mom left the country to finish her PhD in Egyptology, life got interesting.

Bill Hickock drags Dylan to a B.F.I. (Bigfoot Interna
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
HOW BAD THIS BOOK IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 23 May 20, 2014 12:25PM

• Mission Unstoppable (The Genius Files, #1)
  • Witches and Ghosts, Pirates and Thieves, Murder and Mayhem
  • The Port Chicago 50: Disaster, Mutiny, and the Fight for Civil Rights
  • The Breakaways
  • Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • Jake and Lily
  • Al Capone Throws Me a Curve (Tales from Alcatraz, #4)
  • Al Capone Does My Homework (Tales from Alcatraz, #3)
  • Al Capone Shines My Shoes (tales from Alcatraz, #2)
  • Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom: My Story of the Selma Voting Rights March
  • Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook
Roland Smith is an American author of young adult fiction as well as nonfiction books for children.
Smith was born in Portland, Oregon, and graduated from Portland State University and, following a part-time job at the Oregon Zoo in Portland, began a 20-year career as a zookeeper, both at the Oregon Zoo and the Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma, Washington. After working to save wildlife following the E