Start by marking “THINK STRAIGHT: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life” as Want to Read:
THINK STRAIGHT: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

THINK STRAIGHT: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

I know something about you without knowing you. I bet you spend A LOT of time in your head. You know, thinking, worrying, stressing, freaking out — call it whatever you want. I call it a preoccupied mind. And with what?

99% of your thoughts are useless. William James, once the leading psychologist in America, and one of the founders of the philosophical school of pragmati
Published November 20th 2017 by Darius Foroux

To ask other readers questions about THINK STRAIGHT, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about THINK STRAIGHT

Payal Niharika
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I picked up this book because I was looking for an instant motivation. A ready-to-lift-your-mood sorts. The brief was compelling and I headed right into it.

Turns out that this book is more like a self-help refresher-it has points picked up from the best of the motivational reads and compiled all together, in short chapters that you can literally breeze through in an hour's time. The author sets out on a quest to compel you why controlling your thoughts is important, and does that rightly so. Th
Oviya Balan
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
I usually don't pick these Gyaan books for some obvious reasons. This books was surprisingly great and I am glad I read it. Its medium length, practical, direct and honest. Read it when you really are controlled by your thoughts. This was such an experience to me.
Carielyn Mills
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
this would make a great blog post or podcast, but not all bloggers and podcasters have enough material for writing actual books. there isn't enough new information here to make it worth it. it sounds more like stray notes for a book that were shuffled together and printed. it's only 80 pages with a lot of blank space after every 'chapter'. they're more like vignettes, since they're only a couple of pages each. it doesn't go into detail about anything, just seems to ramble on and then stop and he ...more
Devika
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a blog version of Pragmatism, the thought movement (hard to call it philosophy because it argues against philosophising) started by William James and Charles Peirce.

Centred around the moniker 'true is what works', Foroux elucidates that behavioural scientists tend to give a 'why' for our cognitive biases so he attempts to discuss a 'how' framework to filter our thoughts because it's the thoughts that leads to actions.

There is nothing life changing in the insight he offers. It is all ve
Aline Recktenwald
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s a nice book. Easy to read, but I don’t think it gets to the point. It’s a bit confusing actually...
Amit Verma
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
There are so many life coach around but few have talent of making things simple enough for any naive reader to get deep points of philosophy.

You tend to see new cover and same old concepts presented in a new way, frequently garnished with famous quotes and frequent repetition.
Power of this work is its simplicity.
No hi fi quotes or jargon or research or big scientists in it.
Just sit down one evening with some caffeine, for few useful insights.
.Book is fast, practical and upto the point and tr
Manpreet Kaur
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think I read it in one hour and like the author himself says in this book, it needs to be read again.

The concept discussed in this book is impressive and I definitely want to dig deeper into it and use it to my advantage.
Peeyush
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book came up as a recommendation on my Kindle and I am regretting my decision to pick it up. It is just a mish-mash.

This whole episode confirms to me that AI and ML still have a long way to go before it achieves considerable usefulness.
Richa
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
If we want to think straight at all times, we must stay grounded, look at facts, listen to other people’s perspectives, and only then draw practical conclusions.
_______________

I picked this book to get my mind straight or let's say to just divert my mind from all the spiralling thoughts in my mind. I won't say this book worked like a magic for me, but it gave me a much- needed push at the moment.

Most of the things explained in the book are known to us but we don't know how to go about those thin
Jerome
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I was looking for great pointers to cluster my daily thoughts and grabbed this book as the synopsis looked short & sweet.

One can finish this book in one sitting but putting things in practice is gonna take a long time.
Though the content was really short, I felt some of them are repetitive and have read the same quotes in various self-help books.

Finding out the 'X' factor that would make a difference in your life is the key objective of reading a self-help book but that connection is missing
Chiranjeeb Jena
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good study on thinking.

This book is a very good study on thinking. It's short and to the point.

Here's the quote from the book that I liked.

"Look back, but don't stare for too long. Life happens now."
Ankitaa
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Straightforward and practical, this book doesn't offer any new insights. The author's personal experiences, however, made it a good enough read for me. A one time read!
Alison Rowland
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The advice on prioritizing one's thoughts were some of the most succinct I've read so far. I intend to go back and read it again in the future. Also appreciated the advice on further reading on pragmatism (the main philosophical underpinning cited by the author).

The latter portions of the book suffered a bit from sounding like he was searching for material. It could have been half as long.
Baiju Joshi
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice little book to remind us of the obvious little things we usually tend to forget. Can be read in an hour or so (I read it between classes ;p)
Recommended for people who overthink stuff, and those who think more about past/future than the present.
Anusha Sridharan
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brief and yet well explained, stage wise, of the thought processes and how to turn them to one's benefit.
animesh jain
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
A good and short read on the philosophy of pragmatism, the book starts off well but feel flat towards the end with general stuff which keeps appearing in self help books.
Trupti Haldankar
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The book is all about pragmatism. Author has given his own opinions and experiences to emphasize the method of thinking practically.
Prashanth Dsouza
Abandoned.. probably not my type right now.
prahaladrao
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is short and has a long lasting impact.The book gives tips to change our thoughts which can inturn change our actions..Everytime you have a thought,contemplate it only if it has purpose.Else,dump it.That is my major take away from the book.
Naina
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not a lot of value add. It's a bunch of experiences from the author's life thrown together over a layer of philosophy. He talks about Pragmatism without really explains what he means. But it's a short read. You never know if it strikes a chord with you.
Mason Mcleod
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Straightforward, and just long enough

You know what is in this book. Nothing new is within the pages. What is better than a lot of what is out there is that it is honest, straightforward and without pretense. The author wants to help, you can tell. Read this book to think straightforwardly, with the minimum mental clutter.
Deyvessh Kumar
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Rajesh Arumugam
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
My takeaways from this book is
• When faced with decisions, I ask myself "Will the outcome of a decision change the way I live?"
• 99% of all thoughts in the past have been useless.
• Commit to stop thinking useless things. Start taking control of your mind
• Look at facts (research, statistics, experiments, tested) over assumptions (opinions, clichés, imagination, beliefs, guesses). Facts are not the same thing as truth. Interpretations matters.
• Take your time to think. Your first reaction i
Harsh Panchal
The book is a straightforward account on the process of thinking and how to streamline it to achieve a stable life. The language is lucid, and one can complete the book in one sitting or 2 hours (as it took mine). It is a consolidated form of advises which you might have heard somewhere or might have read on the internet.
Rama Krishna Reddy
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
The two stars for it's brevity and simple language. The book hardly has anything new to offer. I feel success of self help books generally depend on narrator's reliability and if reader can relate to him/her. The book misses both these. The author says "What?" is more important than "Why?" in one chapter, then again says "Why?" is most important. He says details are more important and worked on the book for 15 months to ensure details are right but in the very opening chapter quotes Dan Ariely's ...more
Vikash K Thakur
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
3 and a half star if there was an option to rate like that. This book provides lots of ideas in small chunks. Chapters are small and easily understandable. But that's where the problem is that there are too many little ideas and you seem to get sidetracked from the flow of thought while reading. A few ideas sound generic seem to be incoherent to central concept of thinking straight. Even writer seems to be confused at times. For example, I'm not sure what are his preference for traveling, as he ...more
Vamsee
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One word to describe this book is ‘Concise’. I’m not an avid reader and in fact struggle to finish a book but when I picked up this book, I finished reading it in one session. The author makes simple points with relatable examples for easy understanding. He also added Illustrations to make his point which I felt was really interesting. There is also a thought running in my head whether it is useful or not useful and this book has helped me to filter those thoughts and work on it.
I look forward t
Tony Vynckier
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the book Think Straight, Darius Foroux claims that if we were to improve our thoughts, we could improve the quality of our lives.
We need to train ourselves to consciously shut down our brain from useless thoughts and go for inner calm at all times.
Your thoughts should serve a useful purpose.
It is about using your brain to get what you want.
Take time to think things through.

Challenge yourself by asking yourself :
- will the outcome of this decision change the way I live ?
- Is this really
Pulkit Velani
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Good book on thinking

Writer nicely portraits different styles of thinking found among us. Just like all other books, until we start living life we can find the useful ness of idea given in boom, applies here as well.

Quoting the last few lines from the book "If we live our lives every day with that idea in mind—that we should strive for doing/creating useful things that matter to others—we end up spending our time on things that actually make a difference. When you do that, life automatically ha
Hansel
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Easy Strength
  • Disconnect: The Truth about Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry   has Done to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family
  • Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating
  • How Healing Works: Get Well and Stay Well Using Your Hidden Power to Heal
  • The Metabolic Approach to Cancer: Integrating Deep Nutrition, the Ketogenic Diet, and Nontoxic Bio-Individualized Therapies
  • Part-Time Paleo: How to Go Paleo Without Going Crazy
  • Zapped: Why Your Cell Phone Shouldn't Be Your Alarm Clock and 1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution
  • Growing Up Mindful: Essential Practices to Help Children, Teens, and Families Find Balance, Calm, and Resilience
  • Gluten Freedom: The Nation's Leading Expert Offers the Essential Guide to a Healthy, Gluten-Free Lifestyle
  • Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression
  • RETOX: Yoga*Food*Attitude Healthy Solutions for Real Life
  • The Hunger Fix: The Three-Stage Detox and Recovery Plan for Overeating and Food Addiction
  • Why Calories Count: From Science to Politics
  • The Last Best Cure: My Quest to Awaken the Healing Parts of My Brain and Get Back My Body, My Joy, and My Life
  • Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life: Achieving Optimal Health and Wellness through Ayurveda, Chinese Medicine, and Western Science
  • The Mindful Athlete: Secrets to Pure Performance
  • Sugar Nation: The Hidden Truth Behind America's Deadliest Habit and the Simple Way to Beat It
  • The Wellness Project: A Hedonist's Guide to Making Healthier Choices
I’m an entrepreneur, author, and podcaster. My mission is to help entrepreneurs, solopreneurs, and creators to build a better life and business.

I don’t have all the answers and secrets to living a successful life. But I’m happy to share the things that I’ve learned until now from interviewing high-performing people, my mentors, reading 2 books a week, and my own personal experience.

I started my fi
“Knowing yourself is step one. Step two is acting on that knowledge.” 3 likes
“Derek Sivers, one of my favorite thinkers, says he’s a slow thinker: “It’s a common belief that your first reaction is the most honest, but I disagree. Your first reaction is usually outdated. Either it’s an answer you came up with long ago and now use instead of thinking, or it’s triggering a knee-jerk emotional response to something that happened long ago.” 3 likes