Start by marking “THINK STRAIGHT: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life” as Want to Read:
THINK STRAIGHT: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

THINK STRAIGHT: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

I know something about you without knowing you. I bet you spend A LOT of time in your head. You know, thinking, worrying, stressing, freaking out — call it whatever you want. I call it a preoccupied mind. And with what?

99% of your thoughts are useless. William James, once the leading psychologist in America, and one of the founders of the philosophical school of pragmati
Published November 20th 2017 by Darius Foroux (first published 2017)

Start your review of THINK STRAIGHT: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life
Payal Niharika
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I picked up this book because I was looking for an instant motivation. A ready-to-lift-your-mood sorts. The brief was compelling and I headed right into it.

Turns out that this book is more like a self-help refresher-it has points picked up from the best of the motivational reads and compiled all together, in short chapters that you can literally breeze through in an hour's time. The author sets out on a quest to compel you why controlling your thoughts is important, and does that rightly so. Th
Carielyn Mills
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
this would make a great blog post or podcast, but not all bloggers and podcasters have enough material for writing actual books. there isn't enough new information here to make it worth it. it sounds more like stray notes for a book that were shuffled together and printed. it's only 80 pages with a lot of blank space after every 'chapter'. they're more like vignettes, since they're only a couple of pages each. it doesn't go into detail about anything, just seems to ramble on and then stop and he ...more
Oviya Balan
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
I usually don't pick these Gyaan books for some obvious reasons. This books was surprisingly great and I am glad I read it. Its medium length, practical, direct and honest. Read it when you really are controlled by your thoughts. This was such an experience to me.
Varshini Kaithapuram
"Think straight" is a book about pragmatic thinking. We usually tend to overthink in certain situations, when we try to make decisions. And Sometimes, we don't get into the details before coming up with conclusions. Either way, we might mess up.

Our brain is a powerful tool. We need to use the tool wisely for proper functioning i.e., for useful thoughts, which leads to our actions and eventually our life.

Like Steve Jobs said, “You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect the
Devika
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a blog version of Pragmatism, the thought movement (hard to call it philosophy because it argues against philosophising) started by William James and Charles Peirce.

Centred around the moniker 'true is what works', Foroux elucidates that behavioural scientists tend to give a 'why' for our cognitive biases so he attempts to discuss a 'how' framework to filter our thoughts because it's the thoughts that leads to actions.

There is nothing life changing in the insight he offers. It is all ve
Varun
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Not very impressed with the content

I cherish reading compelling non fiction, especially around psychology and human behavior. And I loved the way this book started. It seemed for a while that author was building upon a theory, But somewhere about middle it started devolving into multitude of loosley connected topics. I'm fine with author expressing his experiences and opinions but what was missing was a common thread tying all of them together. Not a satisfactory read.
Manpreet Kaur
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think I read it in one hour and like the author himself says in this book, it needs to be read again.

The concept discussed in this book is impressive and I definitely want to dig deeper into it and use it to my advantage.
Aline Recktenwald
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s a nice book. Easy to read, but I don’t think it gets to the point. It’s a bit confusing actually...
Narayani Perachi
May 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Amazingly quick read. No complex theories or practices.

Simple and straight.
Ankita
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Straightforward and practical, this book doesn't offer any new insights. The author's personal experiences, however, made it a good enough read for me. A one time read!
Amit Verma
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
There are so many life coach around but few have talent of making things simple enough for any naive reader to get deep points of philosophy.

You tend to see new cover and same old concepts presented in a new way, frequently garnished with famous quotes and frequent repetition.
Power of this work is its simplicity.
No hi fi quotes or jargon or research or big scientists in it.
Just sit down one evening with some caffeine, for few useful insights.
.Book is fast, practical and upto the point and tr
Manik and Sayee |favbookshelf
It's a nice book. It can be finished in 1-2 hours, but I found the book to be quite confusing. I didn't get what exactly author wants to convey to the readers.
Peeyush
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book came up as a recommendation on my Kindle and I am regretting my decision to pick it up. It is just a mish-mash.

This whole episode confirms to me that AI and ML still have a long way to go before it achieves considerable usefulness.
Richa
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
If we want to think straight at all times, we must stay grounded, look at facts, listen to other people’s perspectives, and only then draw practical conclusions.
_______________

I picked this book to get my mind straight or let's say to just divert my mind from all the spiralling thoughts in my mind. I won't say this book worked like a magic for me, but it gave me a much- needed push at the moment.

Most of the things explained in the book are known to us but we don't know how to go about those thin
Jerome
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I was looking for great pointers to cluster my daily thoughts and grabbed this book as the synopsis looked short & sweet.

One can finish this book in one sitting but putting things in practice is gonna take a long time.
Though the content was really short, I felt some of them are repetitive and have read the same quotes in various self-help books.

Finding out the 'X' factor that would make a difference in your life is the key objective of reading a self-help book but that connection is missing in
Chiranjeeb Jena
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good study on thinking.

This book is a very good study on thinking. It's short and to the point.

Here's the quote from the book that I liked.

"Look back, but don't stare for too long. Life happens now."
Anushka
Mar 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
This and other reviews available at Feminist Quill

If I were to take this book's advice, I wouldn't be writing this review right now. As if it weren't bad enough that I used up so much precious time reading this book, I'm still wasting my thoughts on it.

It's a good thing this book is on Kindle Unlimited, because expecting people to pay for may be going a step too far. Not only does it have nothing original to contribute, but it also contradicts itself constantly, and is based largely off of pers
Pooja Banga
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
They say: “I can’t help but thinking these things.”

Well, you can TAKE CONTROL of your mind with enough practice. I’ve done it. And in THINK STRAIGHT,
the author shares exactly how. It’s a quick read and you can use it to immediately to improve your thinking.

You have the ability to decide what you think. Or, you can choose NOT to think.

And that is one of the most important and most practical things you can learn in life. Before I learned that skill, I would spend hours and hours inside my head.

Ju
Sinduja Ragunathan
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
One can easily finish this book in a couple of hours. It makes for very light reading - if only changing thoughts were that easy! A book of this length would work too if the author had focussed on one or two key ideas and reiterated them effectively. However, the book feels like a collection of several, long Medium articles -- a platform where the author is popular -- and none stands out after a few hours. It is almost like quickly browsing through a self-help magazine - therapeutic during the a ...more
Alison Rowland
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The advice on prioritizing one's thoughts were some of the most succinct I've read so far. I intend to go back and read it again in the future. Also appreciated the advice on further reading on pragmatism (the main philosophical underpinning cited by the author).

The latter portions of the book suffered a bit from sounding like he was searching for material. It could have been half as long.
Baiju Joshi
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice little book to remind us of the obvious little things we usually tend to forget. Can be read in an hour or so (I read it between classes ;p)
Recommended for people who overthink stuff, and those who think more about past/future than the present.
Mayank Suri
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Short, insightful and thought provoking

It was exactly what it said on the cover and for a self-help book that seems to me to be an important objective to achieve. Thank you for writing this, Darius.
Prashanth Dsouza
Abandoned.. probably not my type right now.
animesh jain
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
A good and short read on the philosophy of pragmatism, the book starts off well but feel flat towards the end with general stuff which keeps appearing in self help books.
Anusha Sridharan
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brief and yet well explained, stage wise, of the thought processes and how to turn them to one's benefit.
prahaladrao
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is short and has a long lasting impact.The book gives tips to change our thoughts which can inturn change our actions..Everytime you have a thought,contemplate it only if it has purpose.Else,dump it.That is my major take away from the book.
Ankur Dokwal
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good book, explaining various thoughts running into the mind with respect to one situation and many other things.
Andrew Everett
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Stated the obvious - don’t know why I expected more

Overall it was very brief and provided a simple explanation of well known concepts. Didn’t learn anything new which was a pity.
Yash
Jul 23, 2020 added it
Short , simple and seems helpful
Niharika Anupam
Aug 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Okay read!
The first few chapters were promising but the half way through the book, the narrative feels rushed amd not as well explained. The ending is vague and even more a letdown. Sigh!

• Warren Buffett: 9 Daily Habits of Warren Buffett [Entrepreneur, Highly Effective, Motivation, Rich, Success]
  • The Art Of Saying NO: How To Stand Your Ground, Reclaim Your Time And Energy, And Refuse To Be Taken For Granted (Without Feeling Guilty!)
  • Speed Reading: How to Double (or Triple) Your Reading Speed in Just 1 Hour!
  • The Science of Self Talk: How to Increase Your Emotional Intelligence and Stop Getting in Your Own Way (Positive Psychology Coaching Series Book 18)
  • Declutter Your Mind: How to Stop Worrying, Relieve Anxiety, and Eliminate Negative Thinking (Mindfulness Books Series Book 1)
  • The Happy Mind: A Simple Guide to Living a Happier Life Starting Today
  • Inspiring Thoughts
  • How to take decisions (Management Sutras)
  • Mind is your Business
  • The 21 Day Miracle: How To Change Anything in 3 Short Weeks
  • Chanakya Neeti
  • Bhagavad Gita Made Very Easy: Read & Understand Complete Bhagavad Gita in Short Time
  • The Nameless Relationship
  • Change Your Habits, Change Your Life: 30 Small Life Changes You Can Make Right Now That Takes 5 Minutes Or Less And Live The Life You Want!
  • My Life: An Illustrated Biography
  • Find Your Passion: 25 Questions You Must Ask Yourself
  • The Rudest Book Ever
  • Somebody That I Used to Know
I’m an entrepreneur, author, and podcaster. My mission is to help entrepreneurs, solopreneurs, and creators to build a better life and business.

I don’t have all the answers and secrets to living a successful life. But I’m happy to share the things that I’ve learned until now from interviewing high-performing people, my mentors, reading 2 books a week, and my own personal experience.

I started my fi

News & Interviews

“Knowing yourself is step one. Step two is acting on that knowledge.” 3 likes
“Derek Sivers, one of my favorite thinkers, says he’s a slow thinker: “It’s a common belief that your first reaction is the most honest, but I disagree. Your first reaction is usually outdated. Either it’s an answer you came up with long ago and now use instead of thinking, or it’s triggering a knee-jerk emotional response to something that happened long ago.” 3 likes