Start by marking “The Last Archer (A Green Ember Story, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Archer (A Green Ember Story, #1)

The Last Archer

(The Green Ember)

A Green Ember story set during Heather and Picket’s arrival at Cloud Mountain, The Last Archer follows the journey of Jo Shanks. Jo is a gifted archer with a burden on his back and a fire within. Eager to see the Longtreaders receive justice, he travels from his
Halfwind Citadel home to a Cloud Mountain poised on the brink of war. What he finds there will confront his
Published December 28th 2017 by Story Warren Books

To ask other readers questions about The Last Archer, please sign up.
Catie Ewing Look up S.D. Smith, he has a website that has a recommended order, this is mine (different from his and in chronological order). Also, "Black Star" is…moreLook up S.D. Smith, he has a website that has a recommended order, this is mine (different from his and in chronological order). Also, "Black Star" is set 20 or so years before "Green Ember".

-"The Black Star of Kingston
-"The Rise and Fall of Whitson Mariner"
-"Green Ember"
-"The Last Archer" (Overlaps W/ Green Ember)
-"Ember Falls"
-"Ember Rising"

Hope this helped, I love this series(less)

Start your review of The Last Archer (A Green Ember Story, #1)
Sara
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a surprising and interesting little book! Fans of "The Green Ember" will understand when I say that this is the size of "The Black Star of Kingston" but the caliber of "Ember Falls." I appreciate all of "The Green Ember" books but each offering has gotten, in my opinion, stronger, tighter, and more compelling. My children listen to "The Green Ember" or "Ember Falls" at least 3 nights per week as they are drifting off to sleep. Our family believes that Heather, Picket, Smalls, Emma, and ...more
Kate Willis
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Ember or archery
Recommended to Kate by: Etienne
This Green Ember short story is not to be missed! Thanks to a young Ember fan at church, I finally got to read this book. ;)

It’s probably no secret that archers are often my favorite characters. (Also, mailmen and doctors--with or without a capital d. :D) I loved reading about Nate his squad, fitly named the Bracers. Their competition was nice foreshadowing and very intense!

Jo Shanks, a character in this series I related to very much. Not necessarily in all ways, but his awkwardness, regrets,
Lindsay B
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy two day read. It's so hard to stop reading because it's so awesome.

It's a side story, during Ember Falls, (I think) about Jo Shanks, a rabbit soldier from Halfwind citadel. Everyone thinks he is a nobody, but really, he's pretty awesome. He is sad because everyone is annoyed at him, (he can be a goof sometimes) and he feels like an outcast.

He had a vision of his Father telling him, "You must make a name for yourself, son," he had said more than once. "You must strive and strive and strive
Liz Wetzel
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read-alouds
Oh, I just felt like I sat down for coffee with an old friend. No book has warmed my family’s heart like the Green Ember series has. I didn’t even realize how much I missed our old friends, but it was wonderful catching up and hearing more of their beautiful story. SD Smith truly has a way with words and draws you in where you don’t want to stop reading. I get sad knowing the series is almost complete, but as I read and see my 1 and 3 year old playing off to the side, I realize I will have ...more
Jamie
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an excellent little book. This tells the story of the archer Jo Shanks. My children and I loved getting to know this hero more. The book was exciting, engaging, and so well written. My family can not wait for more.
Becca
2.5 out of 5 stars

This short Green Ember novella is a little confusing. The time (in relation to the previous full-length novel) was not very clear to me. And the characters aren't given distinct personalities as they are in the full-length novels so it's hard to keep them separate.

On the positive side, Jo Shanks is an interesting, relatable character. Hopefully he'll show up in the next book!

(Sorry this is such breif, negative thoughts. Maybe I'm just not in a good mood because of tooth issues)
Mikayla
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Mikayla by: Kate Willis
Shelves: five-stars, fantasy
A dear friend of mine got this for me for Christmas and it was delightful. I loved seeing part of the first book from a different perspective, and yeah, it was pretty fun.
Overall, this was a very good story, and I look forward to continuing the series.
Jenni
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was an amazing side story, and despite being small, it packed a big punch. Would recommend this for any Green Ember fan.
Heather Gross
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic little book! I loved getting this glimpse into the life of another character in the Green Ember series. As always, I love how S.D. Smith writes his characters and shares how they grow and struggle to become more than just what their circumstances seem to have set them up to become. I can’t wait to read more of Jo’s story in the next book!
Jessi
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Last Archer was such a surprise book! We've been waiting for news of S.D. Smith's next book in The Green Ember series, Ember Rises, and had no idea that a side story was coming. It is a really fun read.

The Green Ember itself will forever be a favorite book, because it was the first book that my whole family unanimously loved. But we love all of S.D. Smith's books and they just keep getting even more and more exciting. The Last Archer has a slightly more mature feel, a little bit more like
Lmichelleb
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great short story to tide me over until The Ember Rising came out. I love this world the more I read of it! I'm hoping when I set my kids loose on these books, they will soak in at least one or two of the beautiful themes: you don't have to be the best at something to hone your talents and use them well, the good cause is worth fighting or even dying for, fail and get up and have courage to try again... and many more.
Tori Samar
If you like the character Jo Shanks from the Green Ember series, make sure you read this book to get his backstory! It's always nice to see a side character get more attention. I also like that this book overlaps with events in The Green Ember—adds more depth to the story. I did find Jo's character development to be a bit too fast-paced here, but I attribute that simply to this book's short length. Things needed to move quickly.
Enola Stevenson
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks-2018
Oh Jo Shanks, we all love you even more now My only complaint is that it was just too short! As ever with Sam Smith, this is a superbly crafted tale. It adds yet more depth to The Green Ember series, further context to the characters, more beauty to an already well-loved story. Any yarn that can make me hearken back to Penelope's challenge in the Odyssey as well as evoke scenes from The Fellowship of the Ring is definitely worthy of five stars. ...more
Rachel Oldaker
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
absolutely loved it. fast paced and exciting. really neat to witness same events as in green ember but from another perspective... I love the series books, but I would love to see other side stories like this come out in time! no pressure, Sam ;)
Daniel Stegeman
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe is a funny character and Smith is a great writer

Smith is one of my favorite writers and you should read this book
Great job with the book Smith write more books and I will read it
Jessica
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The backstory of Jo Shanks and just how Heather Longtreader made it back to Cloud Mountain to rally soldiers for the fight.

Sigh. We were all so very sad that this book was over AND that we have to wait until March for the next book. Thankfully, we still have "The Black Star of Kingston" to hold us over and we will reread Ember Falls closer to release date.

These books are full of adventure, brokenness that leads to redemption, and forgiveness. Rising above and standing for a greater cause. The
Erin
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I sure hope S.D. Smith continues writing after the Green Ember series is done. His writing captivates my boys like very few other authors can. The kids were so excited each time a familiar character from Ember Falls entered the storyline in The Last Archer. We are all eagerly anticipating the release of Ember Rising!
Bethany Kellam
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes! I can finally catch up on the Green Ember books! My family attended an S. D. Smith event and managed to get all the books we haven't read yet.

A fast-paced short story that really was entertaining and fun to read. An avid archer myself, I love seeing it featured in books and Smith represents it well.

I do have a couple issues with some of the shots, such as it's impossible to shoot an arrow into another arrow while that same arrow is soaring through the air...

Aside from that, I loved it and
Deb
This is a short story. Wish it were longer! For fans of the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, this series is a must read.
Kaitlin
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Debbie Phillips
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Upper Elementary and up - anyone who likes fun, clean, juvenile books
Love this book. It only took me a few days to read and that is with working, doing an online class for work on Early Childhood Literacy, and the busyness of things surrounding my mother's continued care after getting home from the nursing home.

This is one of side/offshoot books from the Green Ember series. This book is set during the first book of the Green Ember series. It fills in a little more detail about the suspiciousness of some rabbits, because of the betrayals, and introduces a new
Elaine
Rick Stuckwisch
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent companion to the Green Ember series, this one coinciding with the second book in that series (Ember Falls). It tells the fuller "side story" of one of the characters in that book, who goes on to become even more important as the series progresses. S.D. Smith is a great story teller, and this little book is no exception. For those enjoying the Green Ember series, it's really a must.
Vanessa
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You need the Green Ember books in your home! These books are wonderful and my kids from junior high down to pre-k love them. Okay... the adults in our home love these book as well!
S.D. Smith does not disappoint. He is an amazing writer. These stories are so easy to feel at home in. We love the characters and will be talking about them for years and years. (while most likely re-reading the entire series).
Brenda
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I love the rabbits on the Green Ember series so while I am waiting for the 3rd book, this was a great reminder of the characters and their quest to bring peace and prosperity to the land of Natalia. I am going to reread the first two so the story is fresh in my mind by the time the new book is published.

Where does greed come from? Why does power corrupt sometimes?
James Aaron Kirkpatrick
I really enjoyed it, particularly the parts that I can't talk about because I don't want to be guilty of propagating spoilers. So I'll just say that, for that one thought I thought about that one thing, it was nice to see my suspicion confirmed. Also, I particularly like stories that tell stories from another perspective so you can learn something new about a familiar plot point. Fantastic read!
Shelley
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome addition to the Green Ember series. It is a shorter chapter book, that gives us a glimpse into the life of a character only briefly mentioned in "The Green Ember." I loved this story and even shed a few tears at the end. Great themes of excellence vs. humility and pursuing a cause more than your own glory.
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great little story that lets us behind the scenes of some of the action in The Green Ember. We learn a little more about side character Jo Shanks and get to see some wonderful character development within a short space. A must-read for fans of the series.
Heather Moore
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lex-me-2019
Read aloud with my 11 year old. I had assumed that all of Smith’s novellas were of old Natalia, so it was a fun surprise to find that this was from the not-so-distant past and expanded on a lesser known character from Ember Falls. Kiddo and I are thoroughly engaged and are excited to dig into Ember Rising soon!
Luke Thomas
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Just great. A great example of someone who does NOT have to take glory for themselves. S.D. Smith has created one of my favorite characters by deepening our understanding of a side character Jo Shanks. It builds on the story from his first book the Green Ember and has a rest of the story kind of feel. My girls and I are going to read it separate and then talk about it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Secret of the Swamp King (The Wilderking Trilogy, #2)
  • The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga #4)
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • North! or Be Eaten (The Wingfeather Saga, #2)
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
  • The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
  • The Legend of Sam Miracle (Outlaws of Time #1)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Better Together: Strengthen Your Family, Simplify Your Homeschool, and Savor the Subjects That Matter Most
  • The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (The Vanderbeekers #3)
  • The Read-Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connections with Your Kids
  • Dandelion Fire (100 Cupboards, #2)
  • The Song of Glory and Ghost (Outlaws of Time #2)
  • 100 Cupboards  (100 Cupboards, #1)
  • The Fiddler's Gun (Fin's Revolution, #1)
  • Know and Tell: The Art of Narration
  • Kingdom's Dawn (Kingdom, #1)

S. D. Smith lives with his wife and four kids in West Virginia, because it would be weird to live with someone else’s wife and four kids in West Virginia, or anywhere else, right?

Smith is the author of the middle-grade adventure fantasy novels, The Green Ember, The Black Star of Kingston, Ember Falls (The Green Ember: Book II), The Last Archer: A Green Ember Story, and Ember Rising (The Green

The Green Ember (4 books)
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • Ember Falls (The Green Ember, #2)
  • Ember Rising (The Green Ember, #3)
  • Ember’s End (The Green Ember, #4)