Start by marking “Of Ice and Shadows (Of Fire and Stars, #2)” as Want to Read:
Of Ice and Shadows (Of Fire and Stars, #2)

Of Ice and Shadows

(Of Fire and Stars #2)

The long-awaited sequel to Of Fire and Stars—in which Mare and Denna travel to a new and dangerous kingdom where Denna must be trained to tame her magic by a mysterious queen who is not all she seems. Perfect for fans of Kristin Cashore and Tamora Pierce.

Princesses Denna and Mare are in love and together at last—only to face a new set of dangers.

Mare just wants to settle d
Published August 13th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Of Ice and Shadows, please sign up.
Audrey Coulthurst This depends on whether or not a) the book sells well (tell your local library and your friends to buy it!) and b) when I have time to dive back into…moreThis depends on whether or not a) the book sells well (tell your local library and your friends to buy it!) and b) when I have time to dive back into Denna and Mare's world again. My next book will not be a continuation of the series, but I may come back to it after that. I always envisioned there being three books, and I know what happens to Denna and Mare after Of Ice and Shadows.(less)
Audrey Coulthurst The book was originally slated for March, but got moved to August. It comes out on August 13, 2019.

Natasha
3.5/5

I think this was a great follow up and the author has vastly improved at world building, but, and it's definitely a me thing, I found the plot kind of dull? It does feel like it exists for a reason though, and I liked Denna's growth. I'm just not the biggest fan of books where a large chunk is training. But I did love the overall growth and I still love the relationship between Denna and Mare.
Jackie
May 10, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
I CAN’T WAIT FOR MY SOFT PRINCESSES TO COME BACK TO ME
Cj
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*comes out of the closet* OF ICE AND SHADOWS!! 2019 you sneaky bastard better be quick! *slowly comes back to the closet and wait*
mahana
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it

full review now on my blog!

Maybe I should’ve reread Of Fire and Stars prior to picking this up, but I was too excited when the ARC arrived on my Kindle. If you have the chance to before Of Ice and Shadows, I’d definitely recommend. Unfortunately, there’s no way I was putting anything on hold to see my gay princesses together again.

At the end of the first book, Mare and Denna are off on an adventure together. The princesses are seeking help for Denna to tame her magic, while Mare becom
Lily L'Heureux
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! THEY'RE COMING BACK! THEY'RE COMING BACK! I NEED TO FEEL THEIR LOVE ONCE MORE!!! OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!!!!! I CAN'T STOP SCREAMING WITH JOY!!!!! I WILL DEVOUR THIS BOOK ONCE IT COMES OUT!!!
Rahma Abdelrahman
(June 24, 2018)
Ok, but doesn’t the description give away too much? I hope there are enough surprises in the book itself to make up for this...
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
PLEASE. I'M SO READY. I was excited for Inkmistress and really enjoyed it, but I want Denna and Mare!
Chantel (BW Reviews)
I LOVE THIS TITLE. CAN'T WAIT!!
Ali
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is such a great follow up to Of Fire and Stars. While the plot could have been expanded, the depth added to the magic system and the additional world-building from spending time in Zumorda really propelled the series in a great direction! I highly recommend continuing on with the series, and I hope for additional books in the future!

Plot

The plot is one of the things that I wish the book would have done better. Honestly, I think the issue is that the book simply wasn’t long enough. Ther
Britany
Jun 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
Look at that beautiful cover! Can't wait to read!
♠️ TABI ♠️
Feb 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
Welp, since I didn't absolutely loathe the first book, and since my brain won't let me forget there's a sequel to a story I've read and thus I MUST READ THIS TOO . . . I suppose I'll be picking this up whenever it comes into my library.
Clarissa
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq-rep
While the first book in the series will always hold a special place in my heart, I do love how much more of the world we get to see in book 2. I feel like we're finally seeing the world Coulthurst has created, and it's filled with magic, secrets, and two women fiercely protective of the other. I could not put it down from start to finish.

While the ending seemed a bit rushed to me, I am unable to think about nothing more than what will happen in book 3.
Lea
Aug 20, 2019 added it
I need to collect my thoughts. I loved it but there was one thing I loved about the first book which was absent here, which really rubbed me the wrong way.
I don't usually write reviews but I will write one for this one.
Marit (Mary) de Vries
Apr 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
Just finished of Fire and Stars! Loved it! Can't wait for more...
Ruthsic
Warnings: animal cruelty, physical violence, mentions of slavery

Rep: Sapphic main characters in a relationship; secondary PoC and queer characters.

Of Ice and Shadows continues Mare's and Denna's story as they go to Zumorda to get help for the Sonnenborne's invasion of Mynaria. Mare is representing herself as the ambassador for her kingdom, and Denna, thought to be dead, is posing as her handmaiden; their goals are two-fold as Mare seeks alliances and Denna a trainer who will help her control he
Sophie
I think the best thing about this book, is that it was not only a sequel of Of Fire and Stars, but also of Inkmistress, it's a mix of the two of them that made one great story. In Of Ice and Shadows we're coming back to Zumorda, but this time with Mare and Denna who were used to lived where magic was illegal. Imagine their reactions when they enter Zumorda for the very first time and it's full of magic, land and people. Obviously with Denna having powers as opposed of Mare, they will not react t ...more
Jennie
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer-reads
*** MINOR SPOILERS ***

A very solid sequel that provides a worthy follow-up to Of Fire and Stars, Of Ice and Shadows expands upon an already interesting world and magic system while leaving plenty of room for a third part to clean up any loose threads left behind. It also wraps up this storyline neatly enough to stand alone (something a lot of middle books in a trilogy fail at, if I'm completely honest).

First things first, if your least favorite part of the first book was the political intrigue,
Nicole Bonenfant
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this made me feel like I was 15 years old again. Like many queer women, I am trying to read as much queer YA literature as possible to make up for time lost. My teenage years were spent in the closet, pretending to swoon over the cheesy YA romance novels that my friends loved. I never could relate to them wanting to find a boy like Generic White Boy 5. I never could relate to the feelings that Generic White Girl 7 had about Generic White Boy 5. I felt broken, as if a part of me needed to ...more
Dani Amaya
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

E-galley provided by Edelweiss and Epic Reads in exchange for an honest review. All opinions and quotations are based on an uncorrected proof

But some things required a person to be more than a name.
A kingdom in need of a fighter.
The threat of a war that could destroy everything.
Or a girl holding fire in her hands.

In terms of a sequel, this book does really well on carrying and developing onward from the first one. Everything I liked about the first book was brought back full force a

Alyssa
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jana
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed most of this book. It was definitely slower paced but I liked the focus on training and politics and seeing Denna and Mare act apart from each other.

What lost me was the last quarter. It felt way too rushed and easy. The enemy was only found out after every other possible option was crossed out. And the real enemy was then revealed to be this overpowered final boss-type beast and it was just way too much. After one final "dramatic" fight and a "tragic" death the good ones win an
Marty Preslar
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tremendous

A fantastic sequel two both of the previous books set in this world. This book is a direct sequel to "Of Fire and Stars". But it is also,in many ways, a sequel to "Inkmistress", which takes place many years before the events of this story. While reading "Inkmistress" isn't required to understand the story, I w would recommend it, since it will increase your enjoyment of the story.

The pacing, character development, and storytelling in this book are superb. The ending is very satisfying
Alyssa
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
3.5 stars. I absolutely love OF FIRE AND STARS and I really enjoyed rereading it before diving into OF ICE AND SHADOWS. It was so lovely to see Denna and Mare pick up where the first book left off, and it was especially lovely to see them both grow into their new roles. What fell a little flat for me was the focus on political intrigue, a ton of new characters, and an entirely new culture/magical system to learn. This book has a ton going on without as much tension and romance as book one. I did ...more
Tiffany
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This sequel was well worth the wait. While the novel was more political based, I LOVED everything about it. Instead of seeming like a sequel, it was as if Ink Mistress and Of Fire and Stars had a love child, tossed in some mind blowing twists and just for good measure throws your heart into a burning fire. **************** FULL Review to come, but seriously - go buy the book. It comes out on the 13th (I believe) and it's worth every single moment spent reading it.
Chelsea Ciccone
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia
4.5/5 Stars

Solid sequel to an excellent series.

I really enjoyed the growth that Denna and Mare both make throughout the course of this book--both as individuals and as a couple. We meet so great new characters in this book! I was super intrigued by the Zumordan Queen and I think there will be a lot to unpack with her and Denna's relationship in a later book should Audrey Coulthurst chooses to bless us with a third installment.
♛ Cameron ♛
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
*1.5 stars and the .5 is only because it’s gay

I am convinced this author just can’t write. Nothing was improved on the story. The characters are dull, the plot still doesn’t exist, the world is a bit more broad but not really. I feel as if the author has just done the same plot of the last book and it’s just so bland. Everything I said in my review of the first book can count for here.
Annarella
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, fantasy
I didn't read the previous book in this series so it could be I lost some backstory.
I can say I found this book highly enjoyable and fun to read.
I appreciated the world building, the characters development and was hooked till the last page.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Kendra Franklin
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

If you haven’t yet, you need to read “Of fires and Stars”, you will then fall in love with it. After you fall in love with it be happy and know there is a second book “Of ice and Shadows”. I promise you will not be disappointed. You will
love the characters and the epic world that Audrey builds in each story. Check it out!
donna
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you Harper Collins for the free arc via edelweiss. I really liked the first book so I had high hopes for this one. I did not connect. Not enough action. I really liked Hornblatt. Wish he had a bigger story as he was funny.
Kaya
Jun 26, 2019 added it
amazing

• Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • The Lost Coast
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • Children of the River Ghost
  • Not Your Backup (Sidekick Squad, #3)
  • The Madness Blooms
  • An Impossible Distance to Fall
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • The Walls in the Ruby Sky (The Walls in the Ruby Sky, #1)
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • These Witches Don't Burn
  • Going Off Script
Audrey Coulthurst writes YA books that tend to involve magic, horses, and kissing the wrong people. Her debut novel, Of Fire and Stars, was published on November 22, 2016 by Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins. When she’s not dreaming up new stories, she can usually be found painting, singing, or on the back of a horse.

Audrey has a Master’s in Writing from Portland State University, is a member of SCBWI, an

Of Fire and Stars (2 books)
  • Of Fire and Stars (Of Fire and Stars, #1)